ADVERTISEMENT

Hoiberg Extended Through the 28-29 Season

Wonder if Fidler will end up in Lincoln
I give it a low probability. But if he does maybe just maybe they have a shot at starting to get all of the talent from Omaha metro that either goes to Creighton or elsewhere in the country. Maybe if he doesn’t go to NBA they can get Hepburn to come to Lincoln for final year.

Why? Hoiberg wins
Except for the four years where his win percentage was .385. Cue the excuses. Everyone had to deal with 2020. Basketball is not a 5-year project, you need one leader and some role players and you should be able to qualify for the NCAA tournament. I'm not even saying win a game in it, just qualify, like Miles did in year 2 (and then lost his top assistant and never returned 😒).

What a clown show, or rather acting clown show. Fred did a great job this year but his history here in no way suggests this is more than a one-year fluke. I am sure new AD candidates will be impressed that this major AD decision was made without their input by two interim administrators, no less.

Why? Hoiberg

What a clown show, or rather acting clown show. Fred did a great job this year but his history here in no way suggests this is more than a one-year fluke. I am sure new AD candidates will be impressed that this major AD decision was made without their input by two interim administrators, no less.
Could be. Then if things don’t continue to improve for Fred the new AD has to deal with a lengthy contract to pay off. To me this was a bad move they just put the new AD in a potentially difficult spot. Fred just said he loves it here he is all in, so why extend the contract immediately? Unless they already informed him and that’s why he was spouting the love 😆

I'll say I think getting a kick in the bum by Alberts and removing Abdelmassih and Sadler are cause for some optimism, but you still need more than one year above .500 to justify a lengthy extension.

I'll say I think getting a kick in the bum by Alberts and removing Abdelmassih and Sadler are cause for some optimism, but you still need more than one year above .500 to justify a lengthy extension.
Well, glad to see some sensible posts on this board. Waiting for the 'it's not your money' comments and being called a whiny little b-----.
This may be too 2020 blm type talk but major college sports? Burn it down. It's gravitated towards a self parody. Who are the winners? Administrators, coaches, spoiled and soft players etc. Saban left absolutely disgusted and I'm glad he's putting his opinions out there.
Everyone is on the take. And since they all approve each other's salary, it's easy money.
The whole thing is a big ball of corruption.
We very well could tumble right back to being the P5 program without an NCAA win this week. Hoiberg and his cohorts should be ashamed. They aren't, but should be.

Reactions: kevingne
Well, glad to see some sensible posts on this board. Waiting for the 'it's not your money' comments and being called a whiny little b-----.
This may be too 2020 blm type talk but major college sports? Burn it down. It's gravitated towards a self parody. Who are the winners? Administrators, coaches, spoiled and soft players etc. Saban left absolutely disgusted and I'm glad he's putting his opinions out there.
Everyone is on the take. And since they all approve each other's salary, it's easy money.
The whole thing is a big ball of corruption.
We very well could tumble right back to being the P5 program without an NCAA win this week. Hoiberg and his cohorts should be ashamed. They aren't, but should be.
This post is mostly dead on. But what would you recommend Fred do… Say no to all of this money? If this is what the NCAA has become, why should he not benefit? Again, I agree with you largely. The money has gotten out of control. Didn’t need to extend him through 2029. But if Fred backs it up in subsequent years, we’ll be happy. If he doesn’t, we’ll move on.

Don’t agree with your last 2 lines. He has nothing to be ashamed about. He wants to be here, he isn’t climbing the ladder like TA apparently… give him a chance to show sustained success.

Reactions: dinglefritz
We love competing with ourselves. Especially when it comes to contract salaries that noone else wants.

• Sad
Reactions: king_kong_
I honestly don’t see the problem with this. The hiring of Hoiberg alone brought a lot of attention to the basketball program the last few years despite the lack of success. Can you honestly say that under Sadler or Miles you felt excited going into a season despite their overall better records here? Quite frankly this program has historically been an afterthought other than a handful of years with Danny Nee, which all involved first round exists if memory serves me correctly.

Anyway, here’s hoping Hoiberg can replicate results in the future.

This post is mostly dead on. But what would you recommend Fred do… Say no to all of this money? If this is what the NCAA has become, why should he not benefit? Again, I agree with you largely. The money has gotten out of control. Didn’t need to extend him through 2029. But if Fred backs it up in subsequent years, we’ll be happy. If he doesn’t, we’ll move on.

Don’t agree with your last 2 lines. He has nothing to be ashamed about. He wants to be here, he isn’t climbing the ladder like TA apparently… give him a chance to show sustained success.
Who is charge and making these monumental decisions?
This might start to explain my feelings on this.

Reactions: timnsun
Like the US government, there is a succession plan in place for these situations. They checked the list and the head of landscaping on east campus approved the extension.

Reactions: pascal
Like the US government, there is a succession plan in place for these situations. They checked the list and the head of landscaping on east campus approved the extension.
And in turn, the girl working the entrance to Morrill Hall approved a huge extension for all the landscapers. Party time.

You have a problem that at the his point and time?
If you don’t extend contracts it’s much more difficult to recruit players in the program.
He had three more years on his old contract. So a guy who had had one good season and the rest crap needed two more years on his contract at the salary of much more successful coaches — and the decision needed to be done now with interim bosses? How many recruits in this era where good players come and go every year or two would hesitate signing with a coach who has three more years on his contract? I suppose a few walk-ons who plan to stay 4 or 5 years might care a little. Very little.

This should have been the new AD’s decision with the campus Chancellor’s approval. But thanks to Trev and the Admiral, this decision was probably made by Regents. They should all be smiling these days. Nothing like directly meddling in the only campus program that most fans care about. What many people don’t get is that the President’s more accurate title should be Board Chief of Staff, so guess who is really in charge of the campus AD?

Last edited:
I understand the arguments, but I'm okay with it. BIG coach of the year, has a history of prior high success at ISU, other coaches/media are talking up his system, his name is becoming bigger again. Has McHale and T Lue around the program. If he is able to turn this years success into a winning off season, we are on the up and come.

Reactions: scarletred
I honestly don’t see the problem with this. The hiring of Hoiberg alone brought a lot of attention to the basketball program the last few years despite the lack of success. Can you honestly say that under Sadler or Miles you felt excited going into a season despite their overall better records here? Quite frankly this program has historically been an afterthought other than a handful of years with Danny Nee, which all involved first round exists if memory serves me correctly.

Anyway, here’s hoping Hoiberg can replicate results in the future.
The only problem was, it might have been a little too soon for an extension. Is this an indication that the basketball team has finally turned a corner or is it simply just a flash in the pan?

Could be. Then if things don’t continue to improve for Fred the new AD has to deal with a lengthy contract to pay off. To me this was a bad move they just put the new AD in a potentially difficult spot. Fred just said he loves it here he is all in, so why extend the contract immediately? Unless they already informed him and that’s why he was spouting the love 😆
No, this takes the heat off of the new AD. He didn't give the extension, so it isn't his fault if it ends up being a bad decision. He doesn't have to worry about the coaching situations for a few years (except for maybe baseball) so I bet he's loving the situation he's coming into.

Reactions: V-Doub
No, this takes the heat off of the new AD. He didn't give the extension, so it isn't his fault if it ends up being a bad decision. He doesn't have to worry about the coaching situations for a few years (except for maybe baseball) so I bet he's loving the situation he's coming into.
15-5 in baseball.

Reactions: HBK4life
How does it take the heat off him? If men’s bball goes 10-22 next year he will be stuck paying another 2 years buy out

How does it take the heat off him? If men’s bball goes 10-22 next year he will be stuck paying another 2 years buy out
He isn’t the one who extended the contract, period. He will have to make a decision to let him go (possibly) but whatever it is, isn’t on him. Oh, and the extension guaranteed Fred isn’t going anywhere next year

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT