ADVERTISEMENT

High school football update

And now Grand Island Senior High won't field a varsity girls BBall team this year due to no Juniors or Seniors going out for the sport.

I wonder if volleyball is having some of the same roster issues?

GI is 24-7 in VB this year Last year they were 1-21 in BB . Maybe that’s the biggest issue.

Reactions: SickOfPractice
So, it's catholic parents that are the real problem 'round here. Letting there kids live fancy free in the off hours, then going to confession at school church service.
Sort of...

The fact is a lot of kids at private schools also have parents that go on vacations and leave the kids home when they are juniors and seniors, that leads to those kids doing things that kids do when their parents are gone.

They also tend to have cars when they turn 16, so they have a place to vape and drink and screw around in.

They also tend to have a lot of West O Mom juice (wine) and West O Mom Candy (pills) around at home.

When I was a kid I would steal a pull off my Dads vodka in the freezer.

I know this is a thread about HS football but I just heard Grand Island SH has canceled their girls bb schedule for this year. It appears there is quite a bit of turmoil in all Nebraska HS athletics.

Reactions: SickOfPractice
OF COURSE THEY RECRUIT!

They literally have open houses and shadow visits and they visit middle schools to talk about their high school and they offer "Jr" teams.

They do not have kids that are automatically forced to attend their school.
I think what he's talking about is specific top athletes being pushed to attend their school. Plus Catholic Schools have less "dead weight" in their enrollment numbers. There are some built in advantages. That is the reason that you see certain schools consistently at the top of their ratings.

Reactions: Zeke2005
They do take them. They just let the families know that they don't have the resources for them and that they won't make "major" accommodations for them but still d 504's, but I honestly don't know if that always = SPED, I think it depends.

So then as you know for a lot of parents they are scared of that, because that is a really scary thing for parents and the student. It is not that they don't want to help that kid, it is that they just don't have SPED teachers, who honestly are the best teachers in a HS by far (I personally think Kindergarten teachers are the most amazing teachers, I don't know how they do it) but SPED teachers at the HS level are miracle workers. I have also felt, and I am not a SPED teacher at all, not even close, but SPED teachers make THE BEST coaches. They also usually have the best sense of humor.
I agree. The best teachers make the best coaches. I've always said elementary teachers are the best teachers. And yes, a good SPED teacher is worth his/her weight in gold.

A Catholic School I am familar with only takes a fraction of the SPED students that you would find at a similarly sized public school. And all SPED services are provided free of charge by the local public school. When kids don't cut it behaviorally or academically, they will soon find themselves enrolled at that same public school. (And lower socioeconomic kids, usually not involved in activities, are not at that private school either.)

Reactions: Zeke2005
Of course, the Boys Town student section started chanting, "over-rated"....

Which prompted the student section from the other school to start changing, "we have parents"....

That's pretty terrible, but I also chuckled a bit when I heard that story.
I could just guess which school with some scared ass administration would allow their kids to chant such a thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT