ADVERTISEMENT

Henrich & Hickman...

cdriftt24

Redshirt Freshman
Dec 29, 2012
Do we still have a chance with these local boys? I thought Heinrich was making a summer decision, just haven't heard much from either of them. Wondered if anyone else had heard anything?

Do we still have a chance with these local boys? I thought Heinrich was making a summer decision, just haven't heard much from either of them. Wondered if anyone else had heard anything?

Strange, we could go 0 for 3, for highly ranked recruits right in our own front yard.

Council Bluffs is in Iowa if you want to get technical.

Garrett Nelson would most likely be #3.

But the poster of that comment said 0/3 in our front yard. Nelson is committed, so it can't be him.

I presume by front yard, they just meant nearby, not necessarily in state. It's probably Duggan.

But the poster of that comment said 0/3 in our front yard. Nelson is committed, so it can't be him.

I presume by front yard, they just meant nearby, not necessarily in state. It's probably Duggan.

160720-BOARD-GAME-REPUBLIC-KEVINJBEATY-11.gif

Applause for being technical.:cool:

if we don't get these two in state talents the haters are going to come out of the cupboard and bitch that we let local talent get away and we havn't even played a game yet, I hope the fans show some patience with this staff. just wait and see if i'm right.

if we don't get these two in state talents the haters are going to come out of the cupboard and bitch that we let local talent get away and we havn't even played a game yet, I hope the fans show some patience with this staff. just wait and see if i'm right.

Don’t worry, the Frost effect will take a couple of years to wear off.

If these players choose to go elsewhere it will be because they aren’t from here and had no real ties to the university no other reason.

Nebraska will have a class ranked between 19-24 and it will be because the players fit the system and are team players. Even though every other coach since 1998 recruited at a similar level.

Random grad transfer, who was a part time starter at a MAC school, may be the answer at CB. A grad transfer DL, who has played 2 games total since 2012, both games on offense, in special run packages, is being viewed as a solid move.

These two players may very well turn out to be great players at Nebraska, but Bo Pelini or Bill Callahan would have been ceremoniously criticized for using scholarships on these players. That just further illustrates how much patience the fan base has with Frost.

Reactions: TruHusker
It's called rationalization. Fans are good at it.
I disagree. I think fans are just being realistic. They know Frost got a very late start in our recruiting process and still managed to pull in a top 25 class. They further know that Riley left some big roster holes at CB and OT and a bit at DT. Therefore, they understand that Frost is scouring the nation turning over every rock and looking around every corner to try as best he can at this late stage to fill those gaps. They respect the pugnacious tenacity of this staff to fight for an infusion of talent sooner rather than later. They respect this staff's sense of urgency.

The coming year will be a different story. If the 2019 class ends as the 25th rated class I think people will still cut Frost slack and wait to see how he develops those players in his system. However... there will be some disappointment and unease: "shit... same rating as before...". There will be grumbles.

As for a double standard with regard to Frost vis-a-vis previous coaches... that is only natural and says nothing about our fan base. He is a new coach who has generated a ton of enthusiasm. So people are getting on the hope train and giving him the benefit of the doubt. But guess what? We acted that way too with Callahan, Pelini, and even Riley in their first year. Yes, the fans turned on those coaches but not until they had underachieved. But early on in their tenure here fans were cutting them slack, defending them, and giving them the benefit of the doubt, just as we are doing with Frost now.

God bless this thread. Anyone like Xavier Watts? He's the most complete WR in the state. No idea what he'll run electronically but get on the bandwagon. You'll be a year late, but hop on anyway.

I disagree. I think fans are just being realistic. They know Frost got a very late start in our recruiting process and still managed to pull in a top 25 class. They further know that Riley left some big roster holes at CB and OT and a bit at DT. Therefore, they understand that Frost is scouring the nation turning over every rock and looking around every corner to try as best he can at this late stage to fill those gaps. They respect the pugnacious tenacity of this staff to fight for an infusion of talent sooner rather than later. They respect this staff's sense of urgency.

The coming year will be a different story. If the 2019 class ends as the 25th rated class I think people will still cut Frost slack and wait to see how he develops those players in his system. However... there will be some disappointment and unease: "shit... same rating as before...". There will be grumbles.

As for a double standard with regard to Frost vis-a-vis previous coaches... that is only natural and says nothing about our fan base. He is a new coach who has generated a ton of enthusiasm. So people are getting on the hope train and giving him the benefit of the doubt. But guess what? We acted that way too with Callahan, Pelini, and even Riley in their first year. Yes, the fans turned on those coaches but not until they had underschieved. But early on in their tenure here fans were cutting them slack, defending them, and giving them the benefit of the doubt, just as we are doing with Frost now.

You must have been in a different world than I was. The majority of the fan base was ready to run Callahan out of town year one and a ton of fans never gave Riley a chance. The only time there was excitement about Callahan was during the recruiting process one year.

I have actively supported and justified every coach we’ve had, not just the ones I liked. I will continue to do that with Frost.

As far as leaving the cupboard bare or leaving huge holes in rosters, that has been used as a justification for every coach after Solich.

You must have been in a different world than I was. The majority of the fan base was ready to run Callahan out of town year one and a ton of fans never gave Riley a chance.
As a fan, I gave Cally, Bo and Riley a lot of run. Will do the same for Frost.

Reactions: HuskerO
You must have been in a different world than I was. The majority of the fan base was ready to run Callahan out of town year one and a ton of fans never gave Riley a chance. The only time there was excitement about Callahan was during the recruiting process one year.

I have actively supported and justified every coach we’ve had, not just the ones I liked. I will continue to do that with Frost.

As far as leaving the cupboard bare or leaving huge holes in rosters, that has been used as a justification for every coach after Solich.

This is a phenomenal post. He's definitely speaking my language.

I stand by my assessment. Yes, there were fans who were opposed to Cally and Riley from the get go. But I stand by my claim that the majority of fans were behind them. They were in the circles of fans I knew until the bottom fell out.

So you don't think Riley left behind roster holes or a talent deficit at some positions? You are of the opinion that that is just "excuse making" for Frost? So you think Frost has inherited a talented roster with across the board depth? Lol. Of course you don't. But for some reason you have a need to make it sound as if the Husker fan base is a shallow gaggle of emotional band wagon jumpers. So when that fan base points out that Frost is trying to fill roster gaps with these late transfers you imply that this is the same tired excuse our fans have used for every new coach. Except... nobody said that when Bo arrived. Everyone thought Cally had recruited well, but couldn't field a defense. Bo was our most successful coach post Solich and he was fired for not winning championships, getting blown out in big games, and for being a dick head. But nobody thought he inherited a talent deficit from Cally.

I like our fan base. And I don't see excuse making. I see legit enthusiasm for a young coach with lots of mojo. You can call it a double standard all you want. Just looks like condescending posturing to me.

If these players choose to go elsewhere it will be because they aren’t from here and had no real ties to the university no other reason.

Nebraska will have a class ranked between 19-24 and it will be because the players fit the system and are team players. Even though every other coach since 1998 recruited at a similar level.

Random grad transfer, who was a part time starter at a MAC school, may be the answer at CB. A grad transfer DL, who has played 2 games total since 2012, both games on offense, in special run packages, is being viewed as a solid move.

These two players may very well turn out to be great players at Nebraska, but Bo Pelini or Bill Callahan would have been ceremoniously criticized for using scholarships on these players. That just further illustrates how much patience the fan base has with Frost.

You may have a point if people are still doing backflips years from now if we are still trying to plug holes with the type of players you mention above. But, I seem to recall this board being ecstatic with guys like Shamus McKoy/Marque McCray when Cally was first on board. Oh, and lets not forget Mason Wald who was essentially the next Goldberg.

God bless this thread. Anyone like Xavier Watts? He's the most complete WR in the state. No idea what he'll run electronically but get on the bandwagon. You'll be a year late, but hop on anyway.

I like this guy too:

https://247sports.com/Player/Zavier-Betts-46049733

Imagine picking up 2 4 star WR's from the Omaha area in the 2020 class. Takes a lot of pressure off of the recruiting game to not have to worry about getting more than 1 or 2 out of state elite WR's.

Reactions: gdog23mj

This is so true.

Wow.....you must be in a different galaxy than me. I recall clearly ENDLESS apologists for Clownahan on the internet and was regarded as a supreme recruiter who would bring greatness to NU. Also, a Super Bowl coach....Wow! Firing Frank was great and now we have a modern guru to keep NU fully elite!

The Smiling Mike apologists had huge boatloads & were essentially the same fluff-ball fans who also drooled over Clownahan. Never gave him a chance? Lol! Two losing seasons in three years should have been just fine? The poor guy never had a chance?? Haha.....wow.

Well, anyways.....different strokes for different folks.

GBR!!

Wow.....you must be in a different galaxy than me. I recall clearly ENDLESS apologists for Clownahan on the internet and was regarded as a supreme recruiter who would bring greatness to NU. Also, a Super Bowl coach....Wow! Firing Frank was great and now we have a modern guru to keep NU fully elite!

The Smiling Mike apologists had huge boatloads & were essentially the same fluff-ball fans who also drooled over Clownahan. Never gave him a chance? Lol! Two losing seasons in three years should have been just fine? The poor guy never had a chance?? Haha.....wow.

GBR!!
More so with Pelini.

GBR!!

I hate to break it to you but Frost offense is more fluff ball than you want to admit. But keep dreaming of the power run game that isn't coming to Lincoln anytime soon. When Frost calls a pass play on 4th and 2 from the 2 or when he call 4 straight pass plays to start a game, or the QB has 35 pass attempts, your head will explode.

And your reading comprehension is as bad as your understanding of Frost's offense. I never said Riley wasn't given a chance, I said people never gave him a chance and were bitching and moaning from the jump. That is a huge difference from "poor buy never had a chance".

Lastly, subsequent hires not working out does not mean "firing Frank" was not the right call.

I think the only reason NU is in on Henrich is because of Frost. I don't think it stands a chance with Riley on this kid.

The only negative NU has going for it with Hickman is the number of bodies on the current roster at TE. But I think that changes when Hickman sees the offense this fall. I kind of believe that's why he's not going to commit any place until later.

If NU gets 1 of 2, I'll be happy. Henrich is probably going to ND and that's ok. It's common to lose an instate kid to a power 5 every now and again. Just don't want it to be a habit. No reason to believe Scott won't land most in state kids. He's not a lunatic, he's not a loser, and he's not to full of himself to be a mentor to a kid.

Reactions: red scowl

As for a double standard with regard to Frost vis-a-vis previous coaches... that is only natural and says nothing about our fan base. He is a new coach who has generated a ton of enthusiasm. So people are getting on the hope train and giving him the benefit of the doubt. But guess what? We acted that way too with Callahan, Pelini, and even Riley in their first year. Yes, the fans turned on those coaches but not until they had underachieved. But early on in their tenure here fans were cutting them slack, defending them, and giving them the benefit of the doubt, just as we are doing with Frost now.

Love the use of "pugnacious tenacity." And my spell check didn't even turn it into an imaginary location in eastern Asia or a new breed of dog. I am longing for the day when I get to pull it outta my pocket and use it in conversation. I will reference you, and will hopefully snap a picture of the person's perplexed face when I use it. I'll let you know how it goes Pennsy.. :D

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Love the use of "pugnacious tenacity." And my spell check didn't even turn it into an imaginary location in eastern Asia or a new breed of dog. I am longing for the day when I get to pull it outta my pocket and use it in conversation. I will reference you, and will hopefully snap a picture of the person's perplexed face when I use it. I'll let you know how it goes Pennsy.. :D
Ha. Great!

I hate to break it to you but Frost offense is more fluff ball than you want to admit. But keep dreaming of the power run game that isn't coming to Lincoln anytime soon. When Frost calls a pass play on 4th and 2 from the 2 or when he call 4 straight pass plays to start a game, or the QB has 35 pass attempts, your head will explode.

And your reading comprehension is as bad as your understanding of Frost's offense. I never said Riley wasn't given a chance, I said people never gave him a chance and were bitching and moaning from the jump. That is a huge difference from "poor buy never had a chance".

Lastly, subsequent hires not working out does not mean "firing Frank" was not the right call.

Haha.....I'm so glad you're fully aware of what SF's offense will be. What an expert you truly are!

I "hope" you're aware that SF himself says the running game is his highest priority and that no offense works without a successful running game. But if that's over your head (about a 100% chance).....don't worry about it.

Lastly, firing Frank to bring in Clownahan was an amazingly stupid decision. But what's it worth trying to explain that to you? Ahhh.....just believe what you wish.

We'll see....

Didn't lose Dugan, was not a priority by this staff.

I don't blame the staff, it's more of a function of decline and lowly state of Nebraska Football that this staff inherited. It just doesn't have the same status as it once did. Frost is definitely changing things rather quickly IMO.

Haha.....I'm so glad you're fully aware of what SF's offense will be. What an expert you truly are!

I "hope" you're aware that SF himself says the running game is his highest priority and that no offense works without a successful running game. But if that's over your head (about a 100% chance).....don't worry about it.

Lastly, firing Frank to bring in Clownahan was an amazingly stupid decision. But what's it worth trying to explain that to you? Ahhh.....just believe what you wish.

We'll see....

You sound like a sheep. Look at what he did at UCF. The running game was successful and a priority, but he still threw the ball 33 times per game compared to the Beaver fluff ball Riley at 38 times per.

And again, Callahan's failure does not mean firing Solich was wrong. It means Callahan was a bad hire. I see it's tough for you to understand that concept.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT