ADVERTISEMENT

Heinrich Haarberg interview

good listen, thanks for sharing.

refreshing attitude in this day and age.

“I know the routes because I’m a quarterback. I know all the plays, I know what route every single person is supposed to run. That’s something that we can use to our advantage,” Haarberg said. “Obviously, I’m going to keep battling. My first goal is to be the starting quarterback.”

impossible not to like this kid. we need more like him. true cultural cornerstone along with several others.

“I know the routes because I’m a quarterback. I know all the plays, I know what route every single person is supposed to run. That’s something that we can use to our advantage,” Haarberg said. “Obviously, I’m going to keep battling. My first goal is to be the starting quarterback.”

impossible not to like this kid. we need more like him. true cultural cornerstone along with several others.
Way too many quitters in modern college game.
I want more guys who will play the long game and battle it out over the course years, not shying away from adversity.

Everybody likes him. Great kid. He’s realistic about his QB skill level, and how much he’ll need to work at it, and that he may need to contribute at another position in any case. Hint, Hint, Kong..,,,,

Everybody likes him. Great kid. He’s realistic about his QB skill level, and how much he’ll need to work at it, and that he may need to contribute at another position in any case. Hint, Hint, Kong..,,,,
bleeds Scarlet.

here for good. the kind of player we need to turn it around.

will do everything he can to help us win. leader, team-first guy.

excited for his future. and very glad DR has him in the room to look up to.

said from spring to fall camp to the Minn game, he was the backup QB

never went to a TE or WR meeting, but staff said he's too good of an athlete to have on the bench

the hosts asked him some tough questions in this 30 mins. it's worth a listen.

Reactions: zrob
tl;dl

However, HH does check just about every box of what you're looking for in a player, other than his passing skills (which can be improved upon, btw). All those other positives he possesses, though, should not just be thrown out with the bath water, which a lot of posters around here seem to want to do. Kid's a baller in a lot of aspects and has a ton of value to the team. Thankfully, the coaches seem to get that.

I didn't catch the interview but heard some highlights.
There was something about throwing motion and he seemed to understand his technique needed correcting and was going to work on that. And of course he is still competitive but willing to do what's best for the team.
Kid lives in a time warp, in a good way. Congrats to the coaching staff for keeping him grounded. We need good examples of true team members.

I didn't catch the interview but heard some highlights.
There was something about throwing motion and he seemed to understand his technique needed correcting and was going to work on that. And of course he is still competitive but willing to do what's best for the team.
Kid lives in a time warp, in a good way. Congrats to the coaching staff for keeping him grounded. We need good examples of true team members.
Also a shout out to his parents for raising him right.

I have no doubt HH is going to be a productive player for NU going forward. I like the Taysom Hill comparison - that would be awesome if Rhule/Satt could incorporate HH that way.

I’m anxious to see how the QB position plays out in the Spring and Fall. How ready will DR be to start week 1? Week 2? It is actually rare that even top QB recruits are proficient immediately.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
tl;dl

However, HH does check just about every box of what you're looking for in a player, other than his passing skills (which can be improved upon, btw). All those other positives he possesses, though, should not just be thrown out with the bath water, which a lot of posters around here seem to want to do. Kid's a baller in a lot of aspects and has a ton of value to the team. Thankfully, the coaches seem to get that.
I don't think there's a single person that doesn't want HH on the team. Most know he and the team would be better off if he switches positions.

I expect he will always be listed as a QB at Nebraska but will transition other positions on the offense. As Matt Rhule told us multiple times he loves players who can play multiple positions in his offense. Harrberg will be a good emergency QB and that right there is so important as Raiola and Kaelin learn on the fly. Harrberg is way more valuable to the Nebraska football team than people are giving him credit for or not giving him credit for.

I don't think there's a single person that doesn't want HH on the team. Most know he and the team would be better off if he switches positions.

I wasn't implying anyone wanted him off the team. Just that a lot of people around here are unnecessarily hard on him and tend to overlook/ignore all his great things and only focus on the fact that he can't throw. Plus, I think a lot of people just like to disagree with Kong.

That said, we don't have the luxury of moving him to another position. It would be best for him. And it would be best for us IF we had a better/deeper QB room. But we clearly didn't last year and we clearly won't this year (unless we pick up a couple more in the portal). Two true freshmen, a QB room does not make.

Didn't Frost get drafted as a NFL safety after playing QB his whole college career?

Yeah, I know, not exactly apples to apples
Crouch at WR, too (Also not a comparison)

I think most people forget how young he is because he is classified the same as Chubba

Purdy left as a 22 year old redshirt sophomore who had the benefit of a COVID year

Haarberg is still just 20 & was the youngest scholarship quarterback in the room last season by more than a year. Not to mention the gross dereliction of duty he was subject to during his first 2 seasons at NU.

I want to see a kid with his frame and athleticism develop, and it sounds like Rhule does too

I also though the bit about Satt being OC and QB coach was interesting - vast majority of teaching time spent on X’s and O’s, very little spent on technique

I expect he will always be listed as a QB at Nebraska but will transition other positions on the offense. As Matt Rhule told us multiple times he loves players who can play multiple positions in his offense. Harrberg will be a good emergency QB and that right there is so important as Raiola and Kaelin learn on the fly. Harrberg is way more valuable to the Nebraska football team than people are giving him credit for or not giving him credit for.

Spot on ^

Having him still working at least part time as a QB is a big plus for the travel roster. It’s like having an extra travel roster spot when you have a guy who can play multiple positions. He can play QB, TE, and in a pinch WR if need be.

tl;dl

Does cutting and footwork go with passing skills? Other than pocket awareness, cutting ability, overall footwork, throwing motion and ability to see the field he's great. I agree he has the mindset needed, but he lacks all the needs to be a QB IMO

Reactions: Lincoln100
Does cutting and footwork go with passing skills? Other than pocket awareness, cutting ability, overall footwork, throwing motion and ability to see the field he's great. I agree he has the mindset needed, but he lacks all the needs to be a QB IMO

I can live with his cutting. Pretty normal for a QB. I put pocket awareness, footwork, throwing motion and ability to see the field all in the "passing skills" category.

Having him still working at least part time as a QB is a big plus for the travel roster. It’s like having an extra travel roster spot when you have a guy who can play multiple positions. He can play QB, TE, and in a pinch WR if need be.
No doubt. He was doing the same thing last year. But his first couple touches came as a receiver.

He needs a good quarterback coach to improve his quarterback skills.

tl;dl

HH is a plus for the team. Definitely a good enough athlete to contribute at a number of positions. He should only come in at QB if all other options are exhausted. We become completely one-dimensional with him running the offense.
This is like beating a dead horse. Nobody was on here ranting that Luke McCaffrey should be the QB when it was obvious he couldn't hit a barn door from ten yards.

HH is a plus for the team. Definitely a good enough athlete to contribute at a number of positions. He should only come in at QB if all other options are exhausted. We become completely one-dimensional with him running the offense.
This is like beating a dead horse. Nobody was on here ranting that Luke McCaffrey should be the QB when it was obvious he couldn't hit a barn door from ten yards.

You sure about that?

Reactions: king_kong_
intangibles are important

I'd have liked to have seen more from Luke at QB. he, like HH, was thrown to the wolves very young and with very little coaching after the chosen one fell flat.

both intriguing talents who possess much more innate ability to lead and fight through adversity than their loser peers (AM in Luke's case, purdy/sims in HH's).

it's fascinating to me that those who claim to know so much about football, are such bigger fans than me and who have very valid points also expect kids to be finished products right away & toss kids to the side instead of wanting to see them develop.

same guys who claim to WANT kids to stick around, work hard, fight for jobs, etc., too.

very funny. very ironic. not the least bit surprising.

Last edited:
just one touch before taking over at QB at the end of the CU game
1 Touch, multiple plays. My point is, he's a dude that can help next year's team taking snaps at a couple different spots. Including some at qb.

He is a good football player, a team can't have enough of those.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT