ADVERTISEMENT

Heart Breaking losses

husker2612

Recruiting Coordinator
Nov 29, 2010
Was watching the 2006 last second field goal loss to Texas. Got me thinking of all the other heart breaking losses we have recently. We have had a ton the last 5 years.

2019- Colorado scores a TD with :46 left in the 4th to tie it at 31. We lose in OT
2019- Purdue scores a TD with 1:08 left in the 4th to take the lead
2019- Iowa kicks a field goal for the win as the clock hits 0

2018-Colorado scores a TD with 1:06 left in the 4th to take the lead
2018 NW scores a TD with :12 left in the 4th to tie. We lose in OT
2018- Iowa kicks a field goal for the win as the clock hits 0

2017- NW scores a TD with 5:32 left in the 4th to tie. We lose in OT

2016- Wisc wins in OT

2015- BYU Scores a TD as the clock hit zero.
2015-Miami wins in OT
2015- Illinois scores a TD to take the lead with :10 sec left
2015- Wisc kicks a field goal for the win with :04 sec left

Man that is some list, in just the last couple years. Some that immediately jump to my mind.

Big Games
84- Orange Bowl
94- Orange Bowl
09- Big 12 Championship

Other random games:
82- Penn State
05- Texas Tech (LeKevin Smith fumble)
06- Texas (Terrance Nunn fumble)
09- Iowa State (everyone fumbled)

Was watching the 2006 last second field goal loss to Texas. Got me thinking of all the other heart breaking losses we have recently. We have had a ton the last 5 years.

2019- Colorado scores a TD with :46 left in the 4th to tie it at 31. We lose in OT
2019- Purdue scores a TD with 1:08 left in the 4th to take the lead
2019- Iowa kicks a field goal for the win as the clock hits 0

2018-Colorado scores a TD with 1:06 left in the 4th to take the lead
2018 NW scores a TD with :12 left in the 4th to tie. We lose in OT
2018- Iowa kicks a field goal for the win as the clock hits 0

2017- NW scores a TD with 5:32 left in the 4th to tie. We lose in OT

2016- Wisc wins in OT

2015- BYU Scores a TD as the clock hit zero.
2015-Miami wins in OT
2015- Illinois scores a TD to take the lead with :10 sec left
2015- Wisc kicks a field goal for the win with :04 sec left
During that time we have had 5 games go our way
Michigan St we get the go ahead score with :17
Oregon we get the go ahead with 2:29
Purdue we get the go ahead with :14
Mich St we get the go ahead with 5:13
NW last sec field goal.
So basically the last 5 years we have had 17 games decided one way or the other with last drive scores.

Last edited:
Reactions: saluno22
Man that is some list, in just the last couple years. Some that immediately jump to my mind.

Big Games
84- Orange Bowl
94- Orange Bowl
09- Big 12 Championship

Other random games:
82- Penn State

This list 100%!
I’ll even add:
10 - A&M (had our chance to turn the corner)
10 - OU (Blew a 17-3 lead, inexcusable)

Big Games
84- Orange Bowl
94- Orange Bowl
09- Big 12 Championship

Other random games:
82- Penn State
Missouri 1978, big 12 championship 96

Just the past 2 years we have what, 8-9 games we lost in the final seconds or one possession game that we could have just as easily won. Any of those games fit that list. That luck is bound to flip and change. Ever team has a run of bad luck and ever team eventually snaps out of the luck and it starts to go their way. It’s a matter of time boys...GBR

Last edited:
Just the past 2 years we have what, 8-9 games we lost in the final seconds or one possession game that we could have just as easily won. Any of those games fit that list. That luck is bound to flip and change. Ever team has a run of bad luck and ever team eventually snaps out of it the luck starts to go their way. It’s a matter of time boys...GBR

On the flip side...we've also won a few we were just as lucky to win, as we were unlucky to lose. We missed out on a few more than were lucky to win, the ratio feels skewed against us to me, but every fan base prolly feels like that

Just the past 2 years we have what, 8-9 games we lost in the final seconds or one possession game that we could have just as easily won. Any of those games fit that list. That luck is bound to flip and change. Ever team has a run of bad luck and ever team eventually snaps out of it the luck starts to go their way. It’s a matter of time boys...GBR

We had bad luck in the glory years too..

1978 Missouri
1982 Penn St
1984 Orange Bowl
Ect,Ect.

On the flip side...we've also won a few we were just as lucky to win, as we were unlucky to lose. We missed out on a few more than were lucky to win, the ratio feels skewed against us to me, but every fan base prolly feels like that

oh I’m sure but we aren’t worried about those guys ;)

the plus side of things it shows us we are close...we are definitely close to turning that corner.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
UCLA kicks winning FG at 0:22
Iowa State scores tying TD at 0:23 (but misses the PAT!)

Good one shows you how old I’m and don’t remember that one.. It was huge ... But tying Iowa St was another one that year..

It would be nice to have a defense that puts up resistance when we're ahead or tied and time is running out.
One of the defenses in school history still had one of those. Remember Virginia Tech game in 2009? Texas 99 would also it the description.

96 - Texas
02- Texas

96, I will never forget that ballsy 4th & 1 call my whole life. That roll out pass caught us off. In hindsight UT was a lot better of a team then we gave them credit for. They had 2 All Pro backs in their backfield with Priest Holmes and Ricky Williams in that back field. Whats so hard about that play is we had the run well covered on that 4th and 1. If they go to Holmes on that play it’s a 4 yrd loss.

2002- UT. our first year on the down spiral. Something we still have yet to figure out. we could have kicked a FG to tie that game and go into OT. But went for a win in regulation. I still don’t understand Solichs philosophy. Have not watched this game in awhile and probably wont. Didn’t a UT lineman try to strike the Texas flag in the center of our N and Mack Brown lost it on the kid?

94 orange bowl for sure. The one that really sticks out in my mind is 02 Texas though. A crap season that could have been salvaged just to be taken away by an interception in the final seconds.

Big Games
84- Orange Bowl
94- Orange Bowl
09- Big 12 Championship

Other random games:
82- Penn State
Don't forget the 99 Texass game in Austin, the fumbleitis was worse than that 09 ISU game and that was the only loss of the season and we fumbled it away. Had Buckhalter not fumbled just right before he stepped over the goal line with nobody touching him, we're playing FSU for all the marbles. Texas scored in the last minute of the game to steal the win and what got them into range on that 3rd down play was their TE on a very controversial no call OPI. Go back and watch that TE literally grabbed Mike Brown by the jersey on both shoulder pads and threw him to the ground and it was never called and as a result the UT TE caught that long reception and got deep into our territory on that play. Buckhalter doesn't fumble the ball at the goal line we still win despite the antics within the last minute of that game.

Last edited:
Don't forget the 99 Texass game in Austin, the fumbleitis was worse than that 09 ISU game and that was the only loss of the season and we fumbled it away. Had Buckhalter not fumbled just right before he stepped over the goal line with nobody touching him, we're playing FSU for all the marbles. Texas scored in the last minute of the game to steal the win and what got them into range of that was their TE on a very controversial non OPI that wasn't called on that play. Go back and watch. That TE literally grabbed Mike Brown by the jersey on both shoulder pads and threw him to the ground and it was never called and as a result the UT TE caught that long reception and got deep into our territory on that play. Buckhalter doesn't fumble the ball at the goal we still win despite the antics within the last minute of the game.
That 99 team was one of the best ever not to win it all.

Go back and read my edit to my post. I think we could've beaten FSU as the Blackshirts that year were nasty, vicious and absolute lightning and our O was pretty damn good as well. That team was Solich's best shot at winning a title.

Big Games
84- Orange Bowl
94- Orange Bowl
09- Big 12 Championship

Other random games:
82- Penn State
Fumbles seem to be a common element in many of the heartbreaking losses in the 2000s.

Reactions: headcard
CORRECTION: The 99 DEFENSE was one of the best ever not to win it all.

The offense was pretty lousy to start the year, and still had major fumbling issues late in the season (watch the beginning of either the KSU or A&M game, cant remember which, maybe both). Took two Julius Jackson defensive touchdowns to beat Southern Miss that season because the offense only managed to scored once that game (offense had less than 10 first downs and fumbled like five times).

CORRECTION: The 99 DEFENSE was one of the best ever not to win it all.

The offense was pretty lousy to start the year, and still had major fumbling issues late in the season (watch the beginning of either the KSU or A&M game, cant remember which, maybe both). Took two Julius Jackson defensive touchdowns to beat Southern Miss that season because the offense only managed to scored once that game (offense had less than 10 first downs and fumbled like five times).

I know people love to think that 99 was a great team that should have won the national title, but it's nothing more than revisionist history. We averaged 4 fumbles per game and in general the offense was crap. The 2000 team was better and it was nowhere near national title quality.

I still say the '99 Huskers were the best team in the country that year. '84 and '94 Orange Bowl games were easily the most upsetting losses I can remember. '09 Big 12 championship was rough but a distant 3rd.

Reactions: headcard
I still say the '99 Huskers were the best team in the country that year. '84 and '94 Orange Bowl games were easily the most upsetting losses I can remember. '09 Big 12 championship was rough but a distant 3rd.

Upsetting losses or Disheartening losses..

Thread is Heartbreaking losses.

Upsetting losses or Disheartening losses..

Thread is Heartbreaking losses.
Ok. Yes....heartbreaking losses. Those 2 Orange bowls were devastatingly disheartening! It's funny the game that pissed me off the most was the 2009 loss at Virginia Tech. Idk why but I about went through the roof after that one!

Ok. Yes....heartbreaking losses. Those 2 Orange bowls were devastatingly disheartening! It's funny the game that pissed me off the most was the 2009 loss at Virginia Tech. Idk why but I about went through the roof after that one!
Yeah, 2009, even with that sad offense, was a season that could have been special if not for the ridiculous losses to Virginia Tech, Iowa State and Texas.

We should have been 11-1 going into the Big XII title game. Think about the stakes going into that one if we're 11-1 along with Texas' 12-0. The officials may not have felt it necessary to add a second to the clock at the end if a Nebraska victory would have put us in the title game versus Alabama. (We wouldn't have scored on offense against Alabama, but that's a whole other thread.)

Yeah, 2009, even with that sad offense, was a season that could have been special if not for the ridiculous losses to Virginia Tech, Iowa State and Texas.

We should have been 11-1 going into the Big XII title game. Think about the stakes going into that one if we're 11-1 along with Texas' 12-0. The officials may not have felt it necessary to add a second to the clock at the end if a Nebraska victory would have put us in the title game versus Alabama. (We wouldn't have scored on offense against Alabama, but that's a whole other thread.)

2009 had to be one of the worst offense’s that I can remember the only exception would have been 1967 with Frank Patrick as our QB..

Reactions: 9and4

I felt that bo hamstrung Watson, they never played to the strength of the off

the offensive line was pretty decent, I don’t think the offense was as crappy as people say, imo bo hamstrung Watson. You look at the players they weren’t that bad just weren’t coached right

Texas might also prepare a little differently if we were 11-1 instead of 9-3.

Think about our 1996 team vs. Texas in the Big XII title game. Texas was 7-4 with three losses by four points or less to #9 Notre Dame (24-27), Oklahoma (27-30 OT, OU's first win of the season), and #8 Colorado (24-28). The other loss was 13-37 at #19 Virginia. Had Texas flipped those close losses, 11-1 Nebraska vs. 11-1 (or even 10-2) Texas feels a lot different and we probably aren't a 21-point favorite.

That, and had Terrell Farley not gotten himself suspended... or much of the team gotten sick...

Sorry, I digress.

I felt that bo hamstrung Watson, they never played to the strength of the off

the offensive line was pretty decent, I don’t think the offense was as crappy as people say, imo bo hamstrung Watson. You look at the players they weren’t that bad just weren’t coached right
Zac Lee's bum elbow IIRC didn't help either.

If only we had Joe Ganz for another season...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT