ADVERTISEMENT

Hadn’t seen this posted on Raiola

A stat that is scary for our defense is that Indiana ranks first in the country in RPO offense. Nebraska ranks 92nd in defending the RPO. Hopefully, we improved our defense of the RPO during the bye week.

Where do you find a stat like that? Have we played anyone except Illinois that runs any RPO?

We have below average wideouts. Hopefully teams don't figure this out and go exclusively man from here on out.

The 44% vs man may have to do with the multiple deep shots that have hit the receiver but they don’t pull it in.

Do pass interference calls count as incompletions? If so that has to play a large part too because there’s been a ton.

Was gonna make the same point/question. Are PIs factored into these QB ratings? Nevertheless, beating man coverage comes down to 3 main things, 2 of which Riaola has little control over…

1. Identifying who has single coverage or your “hot route(s)” at the line of scrimmage.

2. WR beating his man and/or taking the ball away in tight single coverage.

3. O-line providing time to push the ball downfield with accuracy.

As a team we need to figure out how to be better when teams try and lock us up in man coverage. Dylan is a big part of that equation, but WRs and OL have to do their job as well.

Reactions: Laner2 and Bremser
Where do you find a stat like that? Have we played anyone except Illinois that runs any RPO?

UTEP and Colorado run a lot of RPO (especially UTEP) and we shut them down. IDK anything about his stats, I assume they’re accurate, but they may not tell the whole story? 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: headcard
A stat that is scary for our defense is that Indiana ranks first in the country in RPO offense. Nebraska ranks 92nd in defending the RPO. Hopefully, we improved our defense of the RPO during the bye week.

I’m not saying we won’t struggle with Indiana, it’s very possible we might. But I do find it hilarious so many are acting like 6-0 Indiana is a team that should be seriously feared. Find this stat for me, Indiana’s SOS. Not for the whole season or for their remaining schedule, for the 6 games they have played so far. The combined record for their first 6 opponents is 14-22.

Florida Int. 2-4
W. Illinois 2-4
UCLA 1-5
Charlotte 3-3
Maryland 3-3
Northwestern 3-3

I mean, I’ll give it to you they have just come through the murderers row of their schedule, 3 straight teams with a .500 winning percentage. I realize our opponents combined record is only marginally better at 16-20, but we have played 3 teams with a winning record Illinois 5-1, Colorado 4-2, and Rutgers
4-2. Reading all the bellyaching on this message board you would think we were 1-5, not 5-1.

The 44% vs man may have to do with the multiple deep shots that have hit the receiver but they don’t pull it in.

Do pass interference calls count as incompletions? If so that has to play a large part too because there’s been a ton.
Plays that result in DPI do not count.

Therefore they do not result in attempts nor incompletions.

I’m not saying we won’t struggle with Indiana, it’s very possible we might. But I do find it hilarious so many are acting like 6-0 Indiana is a team that should be seriously feared. Find this stat for me, Indiana’s SOS. Not for the whole season or for their remaining schedule, for the 6 games they have played so far. The combined record for their first 6 opponents is 14-22.

Florida Int. 2-4
W. Illinois 2-4
UCLA 1-5
Charlotte 3-3
Maryland 3-3
Northwestern 3-3

I mean, I’ll give it to you they have just come through the murderers row of their schedule, 3 straight teams with a .500 winning percentage. I realize our opponents combined record is only marginally better at 16-20, but we have played 3 teams with a winning record Illinois 5-1, Colorado 4-2, and Rutgers
4-2. Reading all the bellyaching on this message board you would think we were 1-5, not 5-1.

In Conference play:
Northwestern 1-2
UCLA 0-4
Maryland 0-3

Reactions: Husker Todd
we are so incredibly vanilla on offense

there is no man-beater scheme

we struggle in protection

we can't/don't want to run it

I am hopeful that we break some tendencies this weekend, but far from confident we will because I don't know that our offensive brain trust is even capable of thinking 3 plays ahead, much less quarters/weeks/months.

defenses are going to keep pinning their ears back until we give them sustainable reasons not to. and DR's numbers will reflect this fact.

I wish he would step into his throws. Doesn't seem to have much zip on the passes
Could be wrong, but I feel like he is just trying to throw more catchable balls and purposely isn't throwing fast balls. His ability to drop it between defenders has been impressive. Hoping the bye week helps him get past the Rutgers struggles.

Florida Int. 2-4
W. Illinois 2-4
UCLA 1-5
Charlotte 3-3
Maryland 3-3
Northwestern 3-3

PTSD from years past. Can't help but fall into negativity. Natural tendency to prepare oneself for natural heartache possibilities.

Could be wrong, but I feel like he is just trying to throw more catchable balls and purposely isn't throwing fast balls. His ability to drop it between defenders has been impressive. Hoping the bye week helps him get past the Rutgers struggles.
I agree. I’m a Colts fan and wish Anthony Richardson watched Dylan and learned from him. Richardson only knows how to throw fastballs and that means they are hard to catch and often inaccurate. Also if the oline was better Dylan could step into more throws.

Sometime, watch a YouTube video of Hall of Famer Sonny Jurgensen. He was reputed to have one of the strongest arms ever but always threw catchable balls with tight spirals. Some people said it was almost impossible to drop a throw from him.

Last edited:
We will see how Raiola responds to the Rutgers game, which was a poor outing overall and had him looking like he wanted to be anywhere but on the field by the end of the game.

I think he's going to tear up Indiana.

Reactions: leodisflowers
While I don’t often quote former CU players, Joel Klatt actually seems like a closet NU fan and he commented a couple days ago that what was missing was an outstanding receiver. Of course it would also help if the Pipeline wasn’t still cracked.
All those receivers and not an alpha among them is alarming. I think a bigger issue is how most routes are being ran behind the sticks, the passing game has not been vertical enough lately. Cannot believe Fidone or Bonner can’t run a shallow crosser to pick up 5–10 yards almost at will.

All those receivers and not an alpha among them is alarming. I think a bigger issue is how most routes are being ran behind the sticks, the passing game has not been vertical enough lately. Cannot believe Fidone or Bonner can’t run a shallow crosser to pick up 5–10 yards almost at will.
I think there are deeper routes that aren’t separating

There are 4 basic ways to defeat man coverage:
  1. Use motion.
  2. Throw to the running back (identify the mismatch).
  3. Run crossing routes.
  4. Stack your receivers & change up the releases.
In all of those, the respective receiver needs to run clean. How they run clean can vary depending on the route and/or the receiver. Which of these basic 4 are we not doing against man coverage? I've seen all of those at various times. It's also not always easy to see what's happening down field when watching the game on TV. Easier to see in the stadium.

Yes, but Neyor and Banks could run those deep routes to open up the short/intermediate routes across the middle to Fidone and Bonner. Instead Satt keeps calling swing passes and out routes well behind the sticks and even behind the LOS.
If you go look at the tape on a lot of those swing passes, they are more missed reads by Dylan R. Watch a few of the plays in here. There is one where DR throws the swing to the back, but has Banks wide open or Fidone for 10-20+ yards instead we get like 2. Some of this isn't on Satt and just the fact the youngster missed where he should have gone. Shit happens.

If you go look at the tape on a lot of those swing passes, they are more missed reads by Dylan R. Watch a few of the plays in here. There is one where DR throws the swing to the back, but has Banks wide open or Fidone for 10-20+ yards instead we get like 2. Some of this isn't on Satt and just the fact the youngster missed where he should have gone. Shit happens.

He’s definitely playing some hero ball within the system. Just a reminder like you said that he’s just a youngster.

So the play design and the play call were all good in these videos. The receivers were getting open. Our 5-star Freshman QB made the wrong decision. Interesting.

Florida Int. 2-4
W. Illinois 2-4
UCLA 1-5
Charlotte 3-3
Maryland 3-3
Northwestern 3-3

There are three sources out there measuring strength of schedule. ESPN, Massy and Sagarin. Both ESPN and Massy have Indiana’s schedule through 6 games as being tougher than Nebraskas. Sagarin has our schedule tougher than Indiana.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT