ADVERTISEMENT

Had Callahan been Retained

SLOHusker

Senior
Aug 7, 2001
Honest question. We had Suh, Crick etc coming along and with a new DC would this program be in a much better place? Recruits were very good under Callahan. I honestly feel that 2007 has turned out to be the pivot point for the program. Pelini used Callahan's players to get some success then slid into mediocrity. Riley then took us into the cellar, and Frost has us accepting life there.

If Callahan doesn't get railroaded in the locker room in '07 by the "Tradition Coalition," he most likely weathers one of the hardest schedules Nebraska has ever played. Then he gets an NFL QB, NFL RBs, NFL receiver, NFL offensive line talent, and of course Suh & company to play with.

What could have been.

If Callahan doesn't get railroaded in the locker room in '07 by the "Tradition Coalition," he most likely weathers one of the hardest schedules Nebraska has ever played. Then he gets an NFL QB, NFL RBs, NFL receiver, NFL offensive line talent, and of course Suh & company to play with.

What could have been.
whats this about the locker room in 07 never heard of it plus he would have bolted to the nfl as soon as there was a opening just look at it this way all of the coaches hired after frank until frost aren’t head coaches anymore

Reactions: oldjar07
Riley was bad, but Frost has been clearly worse, in year 3 it’s time to stop blaming Riley. It’s also time the stop pretending Scott is out recruiting Riley, Scott can’t keep kids in the program even if a class looks decent on paper in January and February.
I agree

Honest question. We had Suh, Crick etc coming along and with a new DC would this program be in a much better place? Recruits were very good under Callahan. I honestly feel that 2007 has turned out to be the pivot point for the program. Pelini used Callahan's players to get some success then slid into mediocrity. Riley then took us into the cellar, and Frost has us accepting life there.

Callahan??? Does SLO stand for San Luis Obispo? Are you smoking some of that good stuff from Santa Cruz?

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
whats this about the locker room in 07 never heard of it plus he would have bolted to the nfl as soon as there was a opening just look at it this way all of the coaches hired after frank until frost aren’t head coaches anymore

Dinglefritz has covered this before in old posts. I don't want to get into details but the "Tradition Coalition" wanted Callahan gone before the season started. It's not hard to sabotage a team when you have enough people in the locker room on your side.

Yes, but Callahan wasn't willing to fire his DC, so he had to go. Frost, won't make changes so will get fired within 3 years.

No.

Yes, but Callahan wasn't willing to fire his DC, so he had to go. Frost, won't make changes so will get fired within 3 years.
I doubt Osborne gave him the chance. I also don't think Osborne was going to hire anyone other than Pelini. It was a joke of a coaching search. At the time Pelini seemed like one of the best coordinators in college football and was in line for a HC job, but he should have gone to Youngstown first to prove himself as a HC.
I believe the 2007 class that Callahan was building included Blaine Gabbert. He might not be Joe Montana but he is still an NFL QB. Right now we are desperate just to find a QB that can throw with a shred of accuracy.

Reactions: HuskerO
Dinglefritz has covered this before in old posts. I don't want to get into details but the "Tradition Coalition" wanted Callahan gone before the season started. It's not hard to sabotage a team when you have enough people in the locker room on your side.
BS, 2007 was supposed to be our best year yet under his system and Callahan fell flat on his face. And there were a lot more problems than just Cosgrove and the defense.

Exactly. He never had a chance because he was undermined every step of the way. Had the university and one big person who won't be named completely backed him and help him along there is no doubt he would have succeeded.

Here's what people need to understand. Nebraska was Callahan's rebound girlfriend. It kept him in the spotlight as a head coach for a major program with recent success and a history of excellence. But he never really wanted to be here coaching in college. If he did he would have done what was necessary to fix the problems. He and Dinehart were excellent at identifying talent. He could even put players in their best position to succeed. He wanted to be back in the NFL. He's the best offensive line coach in the league and it's where he belongs.

What revisionist history. He was a crap head coach. Didn't have a losing season in over how many years? And he went 2 for 4. Remember our near escape victory over Ball State? We lose that game if their WR didn't drop a wide open TD pass. How about when USC ran for like 20+ yards per carry in front of a national television audience. Our defense always confused lining up before the snap? Why does anyone need to tell him to fire Cosgrove anyway? I could go on and on and on. He could have had a winning season his first year easily if he wasn't so intent on forcing Dailey to be a WC QB. Yes, he was probably better than Riley, so he has that going for him at least.

I am sorry, but a post about retaining Callahan shows the stupidity and desperation of our fanbase .... wake the hell up ... Bill Callahan? Are you serious? This is what you are talking about? And you are serious? TT 70 - NU 10 Bill Callahan? That guy? Is it sinking in?

Last edited:
Reactions: oldjar07
Suh was not staying under Cally, stop with the revisionist history about how good of a head coach he was.

I really don’t think it’s fair to compare Frost to Callahan. Callahan took over a program coming off a ten win season that had played for a national championship three years previously. It was a much different situation to what Frost walked into.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT