ADVERTISEMENT

Green Bay Hail Mary

Should have never happened, face mask call that extended game by one play was total crap. But this is the NFL, and when a star QB whines, you gotta do something.
If you watched you could see Rodgers snap his face intentionally toward the contact. The referee called the face mask due to the movement that appeared to be a facemask from his angel, he was not overturned by the ref who was in position, call was long before Rodgers started bitching, but should have been overturned.

Reactions: HuskerDana
If you watched you could see Rodgers snap his face intentionally toward the contact. The referee called the face mask due to the movement that appeared to be a facemask from his angel, he was not overturned by the ref who was in position, call was long before Rodgers started bitching, but should have been overturned.
That play is a perfect example of why I think penalties should be reviewable, at least in certain circumstances.

Reactions: HuskerDana
That play is a perfect example of why I think penalties should be reviewable, at least in certain circumstances.
it's a tough debate, games could be insanely long if they do them all, but if they're only able to be reviewed if called by the booth that might be okay

it's a tough debate, games could be insanely long if they do them all, but if they're only able to be reviewed if called by the booth that might be okay
I've thought about this before, and I agree, if you review everything, you're asking for insanely long games. Certain penalties, like delay of game, false start, offsides, etc... are generally pretty obvious and probably don't need to be reviewed. While I think they get it wrong way more often than they get it right, penalties like holding are kind of a judgement call by the ref, and should probably be exempt from review, because you start asking for trouble when you second guess judgements like that. Other than that, though, I think reviews should be possible, at the very least on any personal foul/15 yard penalty, and on any penalty that could have an effect on the end of a half/game, on a change of possession, and on a score.
I do think it should be booth review only, no challenges. With the technology available today, it shouldn't be too hard for the booth to review a penalty and signal down for further review in the amount of time it takes for the ref to call the penalty, the penalty to be marked off, and the ball to be again set for play.

Should have never happened, face mask call that extended game by one play was total crap. But this is the NFL, and when a star QB whines, you gotta do something.

Lol yea ok...

FB_IMG_1449228047808_zpshtwnc8mv.jpg

Make all the review rules you want - wont matter. How many times has something been shown over and over a dozen times and everyone still cant agree on what happened. Someone still has to make a human decision and instant replay doesnt always seem to provide the answers. Even on this call you have people on both sides after looking at the same replay. Pretty soon the rule book will be so specific it will read like the affordable health care act. See tuck rule or even completed catch rule not to mention targeting. Too many humans involved, someday a computer will make the call. Anyone remember when they experimented with the chip in the ball for forward progress and first downs?

Last edited:
If Rodgers was able to somehow intentionally move his helmet down onto his chin while being sacked at the same time, he is even better than I thought!! Two refs through their flag at the same time. Watching the review I thought the defender clearly grabbed one of the bars for just a split second and then moved down to his jersey. That's a penalty. End of discussion. Great throw and a great ending to what has been a mostly boring Monday-Thursday games until this week.

And another three man rush.......GB had a chance the moment AR was able to roll out of the pocket. Just like BYU. If we are ever in that position again under this staff it's going to be very interesting to see if Banker opts for a three man rush knowing the last two times he did so it burned him.

Lol yea ok...

FB_IMG_1449228047808_zpshtwnc8mv.jpg
Give me a break, you take the two frames from the entire sequence and use that as "proof" that it was a legit call? I don't think I've heard anyone say his hand didn't touch the face mask, but it isn't illegal to have your hand briefly touch the face mask, it's illegal to (and I quote directly from the actual rule here, not the Green Bay fan's interpretation of it) "twist, turn, or pull the facemask of an opponent in any direction". About the only people I've found who actually think that was a face mask are Green Bay fans(shocker), and head of NFL officials, who was in full CYA mode, so you can't really take him seriously. BTW, this gif gives much better idea of what happened, rather than your carefully selected two frames.
suckitlions-0.gif

It was almost more of a horse collar than a facemask. Really tough call in real time, I can see how the refs thought it was a no-brainer call. When it happened my first thought was horse collar.

My thought at the time watching it live was Detroit needed to put Megatron in at deep safety for the last play.

Two officials threw the flag on the play and is going to be called every time. Sorry about your Rodgers hate.

Last edited:
It was almost more of a horse collar than a facemask. Really tough call in real time, I can see how the refs thought it was a no-brainer call. When it happened my first thought was horse collar.

I believe there is no horse collar penalty on qb in the pocket

My thought at the time watching it live was Detroit needed to put Megatron in at deep safety for the last play.
No, makes no sense to have a 6'5" guy who catches everything thrown his way to be around the ball in that scenario. Let those 5'11" guys go after it with their TE.

Reactions: Jimmy Frank
Two officials threw the flag on the play and is going to be called every time. Sorry about your Rodgers hate.

Really? Green Bay nearly took Bridgewater's head off and destroyed the facemask and nothing... A few plays later Rodgers gets a little love push and 15 yard personal foul. This is Green Bay thing that happens way too often

Last edited:
As a life long Lions fan, that one hurt. It still hurts. This has been a rough football season for me all around.

It was a facemask, and I dont care about that entire division, other than hoping the Bears fail.

You really think he was acting in the heat of that moment? Come on man.

tough call, but i would argue that there should have been a pass interference the play before

Give me a break, you take the two frames from the entire sequence and use that as "proof" that it was a legit call? I don't think I've heard anyone say his hand didn't touch the face mask, but it isn't illegal to have your hand briefly touch the face mask, it's illegal to (and I quote directly from the actual rule here, not the Green Bay fan's interpretation of it) "twist, turn, or pull the facemask of an opponent in any direction". About the only people I've found who actually think that was a face mask are Green Bay fans(shocker), and head of NFL officials, who was in full CYA mode, so you can't really take him seriously. BTW, this gif gives much better idea of what happened, rather than your carefully selected two frames.
suckitlions-0.gif

The facemask was touched and twisted. Result? Penalty. According to the rule it was the right call.

Losing in Lion fashion smh... Bs call but still shouldn't have been that easy to make that catch.. First rushing 3 is dumb and letting someone post up in the end zone beyond dumb..

A thumb brushing the facemask is not a penalty. There was absolutely no grasping. The refs always favor the cheatin Packers.
One thing everybody whining about this seems to forget is that referees don't have the benefit of instant replay in these cases. With the benefit of seeing it in slow motion and in freeze frame, even as a Packers fan I'll say it shouldn't have been a facemask. That being said, in real time with no replay, heck ya I thought it was a facemask. Most sane people would, the way that it looked. People calling this a case of bad/biased officiating are just looking for something to complain about.

Reactions: timnsun
Was not a facemask.
It was kind of a facemask poke.
I don't why you can't accidently poke someone while tackling them.

Nothing makes sense anymore.

I don't even know if accidently is supposed to have a another L in it because nobody can agree upon even the most stupidshit.

God help us all.

Lions fan.

Last edited:
Wasn't as obvious as this one...

grab.jpg

But in real time there was zero doubt that looked like a facemask
I remember showing this picture to come buddies at work not to long ago. None of them being Nebraska fans, they had never seen it before. They were absolutely convinced it was photoshopped until I showed them the video.

I remember showing this picture to come buddies at work not to long ago. None of them being Nebraska fans, they had never seen it before. They were absolutely convinced it was photoshopped until I showed them the video.
(Childish snicker)

And another three man rush.......GB had a chance the moment AR was able to roll out of the pocket. Just like BYU. If we are ever in that position again under this staff it's going to be very interesting to see if Banker opts for a three man rush knowing the last two times he did so it burned him.
Yep, I think at the very least you bring 5 with 2 of those being DBs that can close on the QB quickly making him get rid of the ball fast

This thread is funny. People hate their rivals and people/teams that are successful. It is debatable in slow motion should it be a face mask but in real time if you don't think it looked like a face mask you are putting your blinders on.

None of us complained when we got the borderline call against Michigan State, I have even justified it to others saying how bad they missed PI earlier in the game. The Lions got a borderline no PI call, just because you turn your head, you don't get to tackle them.

I hate this call wrecked one of the best finishes I have seen to a NFL game in a long time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT