ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest college football coach of all time

Husker Red 182

Walk On
Oct 28, 2019
To me this one is a no brainer. Urban Meyer. My logic is his plan works everywhere. Bowling green, Utah, Florida, and Ohio st. To me any university could hire him and expect to win 80% of games minimum

What? Great coach, but ahead of: TO, Saban, Bud, Woody, The Bear??? To quote the great Tom Jackson, “Come on Man!”

Reactions: Baxter48
As painful as it is to say, the Crypt Keeper has to be up there somewhere. I would put BD and TO up above Saban and the rest just because they had zero recruiting base, small population state, etc... no bias, of course...

TAWM. OZBURN.

Hate to say it but it's got to be Saban. He's got rings for days and manages to keep his program clean, which is more than Urban can say.

Urb can flat out coach but the cycle on him is pretty clear, he recruits and wins like crazy, then the long arm of the NCAA starts to catch up to him and his "health issues" flare up, he goes away for a while, repeat.

If you took out the guys who cheat, what would the list look like? That pretty much eliminates any Oklahoma coaches. Would knock Saban down quite a bit as well. Not saying any school is completely clean, but there are coaches who cheat, and others who clearly turn their back when they know its being done. I had a current NU coach tell me that Alabama and Clemson are the two best teams money can buy, and everyone but the NCAA knows it. That's why I put Tom at the top. Did it at a small state and ran a pretty good ship (now waiting for the detractors to tell me otherwise). I know no one is perfect but he was better than most.

Tom Osborne

While cases can easily be made for Urban and Saban, I like Tom’s steadfast, committed and patient approach. Guy persevered through so many bitter heartbreaks and a lot of scrutiny aling the way to eventually reach the top and achieve a pinnacle that capped off his entire career. All the while he garnered as much respect as anyone, instilling values in his players.

Of course the choice may not be the most objective, but class and determination were his calling card.

He established life long relationships, mentoring his players to become better men.... even if he couldn’t save them all.

To me this one is a no brainer. Urban Meyer. My logic is his plan works everywhere. Bowling green, Utah, Florida, and Ohio st. To me any university could hire him and expect to win 80% of games minimum
Very biased opinion, but having never won less than 9 games in any season would be very worthy of consideration..

Very biased opinion, but having never won less than 9 games in any season would be very worthy of consideration..
No Osborne was the epitome of consistency and the had a 5 year run of absolute dominance. I 100% understand the flaw in my argument that Osborne did not demonstrate his approach can work elsewhere because he was at Nebraska so long.

No Osborne was the epitome of consistency and the had a 5 year run of absolute dominance. I 100% understand the flaw in my argument that Osborne did not demonstrate his approach can work elsewhere because he was at Nebraska so long.

Wilkinson was at OU the whole time
McKay was at USC the whole time
Hayes was at tOSU the whole time
Royal was at teaxss the whole time
Leahy was at Notre Dame the whole time

So the Bear was at Kentucky, A&M before Bama and had harder rebuilding jobs than Meyer and won more Titles.. Does that answer your question.

Don James put together some great Washington teams, and spawned the coaching careers of Saban, Pinkel, and Jim Mora.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT