ADVERTISEMENT

Grass coming to Memorial Stadium after 2025 season

Sam McKewon on Nebraska moving to grass:"The reality is Iowa State, Michigan State, Penn State...They all have grass. And it's been a while since I've been to Iowa City, but they have nice turf. And Penn State has nice turf. Michigan State's is ok. Purdue's is a little messed up because they use a bermuda grass that they use on a golf course...Nebraska probably won't be using that...I think it's a great idea. They'll use a blue grass or whatever they have. It does cost more. Maintenance cost - that's not going to be easy. The heated field, the Packers have that....Nebraska is going to have to navigate the high school championships and they are going to have to chew on whether they want a bunch more events in the stadium. For example, could you really have a Volleyball Day on August 31st if you're playing 5 days later and that thing is chewed up to heck.But beautiful grass surface, there is nothing better."

Last edited:
Attended the game at South Bend, I didn’t notice the grass field or didn’t think too much about it.. What fascinated me more was all the red in that studuim and how the ND fan’s sold their tickets for a pretty penny. I believe we paid $110 a ticket and there was 4 of us..

Have a picture in my living room of the stadium in the end zone looking toward Touchdown Jesus in the back round..
I was there too. The thing I remember the most was the incredible number and length of TV timeouts. They really seemed to affect the tempo of the game. Plus, between all the TOs and going into overtime, it seemed like a 4 hour game (was 3:19 actually). ND had that exclusive contract with NBC at the time. What I didn't know at the time was that was the future of college football and all the games take forever now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT