ADVERTISEMENT

Graduate Assistants

headcard

Nebraska Legend
Feb 2, 2005
In the past we have had some very good grad assistants, like John Garrison and Vince Morrow, that made an impact with their coaching and recruiting. I think we could really use a strong GA like this to help with the OL. That position has 5 players on the field, it is a developmental position and we have a new/green OL coach.

Reactions: HominidHusker
Who was the veteran line coach we had on staff? Is he still around?

Reactions: HuskerLLM
Wtf do these analysts actually do? Does the he O-line analyst tell Scott his line sucks because Scott dont pay attention during games? It seems we have a lot of analyst.

Wtf do these analysts actually do? Does the he O-line analyst tell Scott his line sucks because Scott dont pay attention during games? It seems we have a lot of analyst.
Good question. Seems pretty clear that analysts don't really help overcome poor coaching, and I don't recall that when we had good coaching back in the TO era, they even had or seemed to need analysts to help them be good at their jobs

They break down video and help with game planning I believe. They're also another set of eyes in the box and I think can communicate with the coaches what they're seeing? Somebody correct me if that is wrong. It used to be that grad assistants spent a lot of time scouting and breaking down video. Tom used to literally live in his office because he personally did a good chunk of that. Analysts give you a veteran coach to do some things that either the head coach or grad assistants had to do. With the advent of cameras in every stadium in the country there's a lot more information to process IMO.

Reactions: woodman79
In the past we have had some very good grad assistants, like John Garrison and Vince Morrow, that made an impact with their coaching and recruiting. I think we could really use a strong GA like this to help with the OL. That position has 5 players on the field, it is a developmental position and we have a new/green OL coach.
We need a truck dealership to hire a former NFL kicker to do promotions and then that guy needs to volunteer coach our kickers and punters....... A grad assistant who kicked and punted in college or the NFL might be a nice add to our grad assistants but an O line GA would probably be the most help.

Reactions: headcard
Who was the veteran line coach we had on staff? Is he still around?
Yeah he is still around and has been on staff going on his 4th yr or so, but he didn't seem to really help Austin that much though...

How is he gonna help this new newbie online coach I wonder if he didn't help Austin...

Just seems kind of weird how u would hire a newbie coach to take over arguably ur teams biggest weakness and one that needs to get fixed asap, instead of hiring Quinn to do it who has a track record of being able to do this.

Things that make u go... mmmm ok...

Yeah he is still around and has been on staff going on his 4th yr or so, but he didn't seem to really help Austin that much though...

How is he gonna help this new newbie online coach I wonder if he didn't help Austin...

Just seems kind of weird how u would hire a newbie coach to take over arguably ur teams biggest weakness and one that needs to get fixed asap, instead of hiring Quinn to do it who has a track record of being able to do this.

Things that make u go... mmmm ok...
You can't help somebody who doesn't want help.

For what it's worth, our blocking improved in those last two games under Verducci.
I agree. I thought our play calling was better by Frost as well. We still had O line mistakes but not nearly as many IMO. I hate to put it all on Austin. Sometimes it might be that the offensive philosophy and play calling just aren't a fit with how the O line coach coaches his guys. I hope Austin lands a good job because I think he is a good dude.

I agree. I thought our play calling was better by Frost as well. We still had O line mistakes but not nearly as many IMO. I hate to put it all on Austin. Sometimes it might be that the offensive philosophy and play calling just aren't a fit with how the O line coach coaches his guys. I hope Austin lands a good job because I think he is a good dude.
Maybe I’m wrong I thought I heard or read that Austins philosophy was let the defensive player engage first if that’s true imo it puts the offensive linemen in a difficult position right away

Maybe I’m wrong I thought I heard or read that Austins philosophy was let the defensive player engage first if that’s true imo it puts the offensive linemen in a difficult position right away
Steelers head coach starting benching guys against the Vikes the other night. He said afterwards "we HAVE to strike better and attack more at the line of scrimmage". He pulled at least one O lineman, a DT and a linebacker. The Steelers all but erased a huge deficit in that second half and really had a chance to win it on their final drive.

For what it's worth, our blocking improved in those last two games under Verducci.

He has an impressive resume and no doubt is a better OL coach than Austin. It’s just that he can’t coach on the field when he’s an analyst. If he was allowed to help Raiola on the field, I would feel much better about things .

If true then you're iby pass block mode all the time. Which is kinda what it looked like most of the year 🤔

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT