ADVERTISEMENT

Grade for recruiting

C+ Top 10=A, Top 20=B in my book. My season record grade would be D-, but the wins over UCLA and MSU make it a D. If the cupboard HCMR had is considered, maybe a D+. I'm still in this staff's corner 100%, but things have to improve and I think they can. If we had landed a couple more at the end we were hoping for it would have been a B and I would have been pretty happy.

I think the class overall is ok B- to C+, I would not call it stellar. I think the first full recruiting cycle for the staff showed:

• They are well organized
  • work very hard at it as a group
  • have some good salesmen ( some better than others)
  • Can attract some signees and are in the mix for other high profile recruits - which is a good thing and a learning experience for them. This will help them next year

Cons -
  • disappointed in the results from the 500 mile radius - we need to be in on the top kids in these states
  • I too was hoping for a larger class
Minnesota player of the year, Farniok out of SoDak. Did good in Colorado. Iowa's top rated recruit. Missed on Simmons out of Kansas and Fant. Signed a couple Nebraska kids everyone bitched about not offering. Pretty good for a staff that doesn't "get it"

Reactions: leodisflowers
Can't really grade the class until a few years from now. The size of the class has always been my concern. Glad we didn't end up with under 20, but still would have liked to add a couple more quality guys for depth.

Many tried to justify Bo's small recruiting classes based on average stars and a handful of studs, but with transfers and injuries, depth caught up to us. Hopefully Riley does a better job of keeping our good recruits in the program.

Reactions: jlb321
I'd rate as a B- on paper for the folks we got. The process as a whole I'd rate as an A. Very organized and I might just be smoking crack, but I feel like our walk on class is great. Previous years most of these kids might sign at smaller schools. I may not be correct, but that is the feeling I get.

Reactions: HuskerDana
QB- B
OL- B+
DE- C
DT- F-
LB- C
DB- B+
TE- C
RB- C
WR- C

Overall- C

I'd also like to add, if this class is an A, then wtf is Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Florida State, etc.? They'd have to be A++++++++.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
QB- B
OL- B+
DE- C
DT- F-
LB- C
DB- B+
TE- C
RB- C
WR- C

Overall- C

I'd also like to add, if this class is an A, then wtf is Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Florida State, etc.? They'd have to be A++++++++.
Good question on the other schools you named... A is high for our class.

I have a question of my own... QB - B, OL - B+, DB - B+... Why you grading on a graduate level scale with this?

Recruiting within a 500 mile radius is a factor for Nebraska because those are the kids that are most likely to have an existing rooting interest in the program and/or may have a personal connection, but the overall importance is a little overstated. It's just one piece of the puzzle.

A (roughly) 500 mile radius includes Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, Colorado, Missouri, Illinois, and Minnesota (as well as South Dakota). Realistically, we're looking at approximately 100 prospects worthy of a NU offer. An even smaller percentage of these are blue chip prospects - probably 35 or so. By my count, Nebraska picked up nine players from this recruiting region or 43% including two blue chip prospects. That is a greater percentage than any other recruiting territory in the country. Therefore, I think you could easily make the argument that NU made this a priority.

On the other hand, I think some of us would like to see NU make a bigger splash with some of the blue chip prospects in the Illinois and Missouri, where our highest ranked recruit in each of those states were #10 (Bryan Brokop) and #12 (Boe Wilson).

We've done very well in Colorado under Riley. In 2015, we got the #1 and #2 prospects and this year we signed the #2 and #3 prospects. If we were able to replicate this type of success in Kansas, Missouri, and Illinois it would have an impact on our overall team recruiting rankings. No easy task, but something worth shooting for.

Reactions: AndyHanline
Quick grading equation: 100 - Rivals team rank = numerical grade. So 100 - 25 = 75 which correlates to a letter grade of C (C > 72.5) I guess I should say I am liberal so it makes sense I have a harsher grade of millionaires than the conservative guy. ; )

Anyhoot I am happy with the class but know we need to do better in future ones. Missing out on both Simmons and Fitzpatrick hurt us but I really like the QB, OL and DB position groups. No Top 15 team has less than ten 4* or grater players so our coaches need to get to work! We need 2.5 times the current number of 4* for next cycle. GBR!

I'm giving the staff a double F-. I've already moved on to 2017. This is completely unacceptable! Zero commits! Come on Riley, Banker, et al. You've had all these guys signed for a few hours now, and should have moved on to next year by now. Some people on this board demand results, and we wanted them a few hours ago!!!!

https://nebraska.n.rivals.com/commitments/football/2017

giphy.gif

randy-quaid-major-league-o.gif

ngbGcx.gif

giphy.gif

Reactions: maplesyrup95
I'm going with B as well. If we landed Simmons/Fitzpatrick (or both) then I would have upgraded to B+. I think we have signed a really good class. Props to HCMR and staff. To get to an A he'll have to crack the Top 10/A- for Top 15.

Reactions: maplesyrup95
This level wasn't acceptable a few years ago...and certainly wasn't acceptable when we hired Riley. Methinks...
122213.jpg

It wasn't acceptable a few years ago because our former coach had 7 years win a championship and didn't get it done with the kids he inherited or the ones recruited.

Wow-I;m just shocked, shocked I tell you that the most relentlessly negative person on here isn't very high on this class. Next thing you're going to tell me water is wet. If we landed the #1 class in the country, you'd probably give it about a B+.

I don't agree with lite's assessment of our signing class, but he's not even close to being a negative poster. Maybe he just disagrees with most of your opinions on things.

I don't agree with lite's assessment of our signing class, but he's not even close to being a negative poster. Maybe he just disagrees with most of your opinions on things.
Lite, True, Boxes...you are three of my favorites. This isn't worth quibbling over. A subjective grade. Love and peace to you all!

The grade only transfers over to coaching up your group of players you have to form them into being a contender to winning the B1G Championship.

B-, with the idea that B- recruiting, over time, all things being equal, gets you in the conversation to win your division.

Could have moved up to a B+ with a couple of stud DT's and maybe a big WR, which gets you into conference championship territory.

They went after positions of need to fit their system, which I liked a lot.

Most of us would have given the 2011 class with 11 4-star recruits a solid A. How'd that work out for those eleven recruits? (Hint: Most of them contributed little or nothing.) I'd give us a B this year but hopefully Riley can make it into an A in a couple years

I give this class a B-.....only because we were not able to get a big bodied wide out and a couple of DE's.

That being said, I will judge this staff's recruiting prowess with next year's class rather than this year's class. Next year, Riley will have been here for a full two years and will have had a chance to build relationships. I feel the staff did a pretty good job in organizing this year and should be in a position to finish within the top 15. Lower than 20 next year will be a disappointment.

Miller - WDE
Stille - SDE

Quick grading equation: 100 - Rivals team rank = numerical grade. So 100 - 25 = 75 which correlates to a letter grade of C (C > 72.5) I guess I should say I am liberal so it makes sense I have a harsher grade of millionaires than the conservative guy. ; )

Anyhoot I am happy with the class but know we need to do better in future ones. Missing out on both Simmons and Fitzpatrick hurt us but I really like the QB, OL and DB position groups. No Top 15 team has less than ten 4* or grater players so our coaches need to get to work! We need 2.5 times the current number of 4* for next cycle. GBR!
Actually, there are 128 FBS teams, the bottom 28 Rivals doesn't rank. So the calculation should be:
(128-25) X 100/128 = 80.5, which is a B-

Wow-I;m just shocked, shocked I tell you that the most relentlessly negative person on here isn't very high on this class. Next thing you're going to tell me water is wet. If we landed the #1 class in the country, you'd probably give it about a B+.

Negative poster?!?! WTF are you talking about?!?!

I certainly wouldn't call him the most relentlessly negative poster on this board. There's plenty of other people that hold that title.
There's been other people moreso who come and go, but over a long period of time, I think the title fits. I'll give him credit at least-his negativity isn't tied to one particular coach-it's just a general feeling.

... And I haven't seen his most recent posts. So, if I am wrong, fair enough.

I can tell you right now, I could have a consider- earlier in the year, lol.

C20.... beer pong 101 was actually a course in college, I would raise my GPA by 2 points

Reactions: c2o
There's been other people moreso who come and go, but over a long period of time, I think the title fits. I'll give him credit at least-his negativity isn't tied to one particular coach-it's just a general feeling.

I once stumbled across a page on this new format that lets you view everyone's posts for the last whatever posts. Why don't you go read mine (if you can access them), and if you can still call me a negative poster I'll be surprised. Like a lot of men, maybe even most, we hold grudges, it's who we are. I know you and I tangled a while ago, but my memory sucks so I can't remember what it was about. But I admit I resorted to being a dork when responding to you during that time and my guess is, that past tangle has influenced your opinion of me, and I am guilty of the same with others, like I said, it's who we are. If I am a negative person in regards to Husker football, it was synonymous with our last coach, who I knew was a bad coach/fit and never tried to hide it, and our current most valuable position player. I admit I have gone overboard with my assessment of our him, many times not even logging back in to see the board for a little while because I hated the way I felt after posting something about him that I knew prolly didn't need to be said. Never mind I was right the whole time (I wonder of that's what we tangled about?), it was rude and I need to do a better job remembering all of these players have moms and dads and I know how I'd feel if I logged in and read some of my critiques of him and applied them to my son. "FU" would prolly sum it up. But at any rate, several posters in this thread completely disagree with you in your assessment of me and went on record, and unless I missed it, not a single person agreed with your assessment of me. So I wonder if it's time for you to take new inventory of me, but whatev's, I'm breezy (Friends reference), and I'll be quite fine either way. What I have always been though, is tough on things closest to me. I'm not going to tell my son he played a great game if he didn't, and I honestly think I'm more objective than a lot of fans when it comes to assessing NU football. I expect hometown fans to give this class a B, would have been stunned if they didn't, but a 23 or 24 ranked class isn't a B and if Iowa had pulled in the exact same class and we were grading it, everyone who gave it a B on this thread would have given them a C. It's what we do. Anywhoo, I stand by my C+, and if POB hits then it's a B(ish), I think that's pretty accurate. I think if Rivals, 247, and every other recruiting service were sitting in a bar talking off record and gave this class a grade, they would all be in the C range. Of course on the record being interviewed by a hometown reporter I am sure they'd do a B, they want to be liked and followed and giving a lower rating will not allow them to be very successful. Wow, I don't think I've ever yapped this much in a thread, gotta go.

Good measured response , lite!

Kumbaya, everyone!!!! And on to bigger and better things NEXT year!( Wow...almost sounded like a Cubs fan.....YAAAAAKKKKKK!!!!)

Reactions: bigboxes
Actually, there are 128 FBS teams, the bottom 28 Rivals doesn't rank. So the calculation should be:
(128-25) X 100/128 = 80.5, which is a B-

Yeah I thought about that, but I feel the last 28 teams are so far away from Nebraska legendary pedigree they should not be counted in the curve. Although maybe you are right because I feel B- is more accurate of how I feel the class should be graded. Good point Husker.Wed.

Tellin' you guys, a lot of the reason Bo's recruiting is unacceptable in hindsight is his failure to keep some of the top players on campus or get them there in the first place, and confusing personnel decisions once they were here.

Remember when Taylor Martinez was supposed to play safety?

Aaron Green
Braylon Heard
Tyler Moore
Bubba Starling

Recruiting doesn't end when the kid signs.

There are guys in this class who definitely have the potential to make it look very nice when we look back on it with 20/20 hindsight in 6 years. Simmons and Fitz hurt, there's no mincing words about that.

Hopefully we're seeing the equivalent of when the engine temp juuuuuuust starts to rise on a cold day and the heat out of the vents isn't very hot yet. You gotta admit you're more optimistic that this staff will actually use talented freshmen better than the last did. Morgan, Ozigbo, the young guys at LB.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT