ADVERTISEMENT

Gotta like Utah -7 tonight right?

Utah missing some of offensive starters. Also not sure why they are so pass-happy.

Not that I give two hits about Northwestern, but I think the got robbed out of a fumble there. Ball was loose right at contact.

Bowl game try-hards are the teams that know they can never ever win at a high level. That is why you see certain teams treat a lame bowl game like it is the super bowl.

Reactions: king_kong_
Amazing a guy who was an assistant at North Dakota State last year, probably doesn't make much more than $1M right now, has mostly 3 star and lower players who were 1-11 last year is beating one of the better PAC 12 teams in a pretty cool looking bowl. For me watching this game serves to underscore once more (in a big way) how disappointing our season was.

Amazing a guy who was an assistant at North Dakota State last year, probably doesn't make much more than $1M right now, has mostly 3 star and lower players who were 1-11 last year is beating one of the better PAC 12 teams in a pretty cool looking bowl. For me watching this game serves to underscore once more (in a big way) how disappointing our season was.
Swap qb rooms and Nebraska wins 10 games and NW wins 3. At best. NW took care of the ball and we didn’t. Hard to win without a serviceable qb and turning to ball over at an alarming rate. It wasn’t a fixable problem this year but also isn’t something likely to be replicated moving forward. I much prefer the trajectory of NU vs NW. cant be short sighted.

Swap qb rooms and Nebraska wins 10 games and NW wins 3. At best. NW took care of the ball and we didn’t. Hard to win without a serviceable qb and turning to ball over at an alarming rate. It wasn’t a fixable problem this year but also isn’t something likely to be replicated moving forward. I much prefer the trajectory of NU vs NW. cant be short sighted.
I know Shine, and I agree about trajectory (fingers crossed), but damn....taking the points on a couple field goals and I might be in Vegas tonight.

Well, it was different "back then"

CFB was so different, it was so regional, it was so "small", the bowl game was a vacation for fans or it was the 3rd or 4th chance to see your team on TV.

And it was the only thing us fans knew for a long time.
And it was soooo good. It was the game that everyone fell in love with. The more product changes, the less interesting it becomes. Playoff. Bigger playoff. Opt outs. Conference realignment. NIL. Unlimited transfers. Tampering. It makes me long for New years evening at the orange bowl. Or Tempe. Not pro player or Glendale. I miss the college football that valued every game. September or December/january. Not just playoffs and Monday night championship games.

yup.
It would have been nice to go bowling and win 8-9 games but the ceiling for this past year was low due to inept QB play and a few more wins doesn't change that reality.

12 teams play a real game at the end of the season from now on...16 teams in a few years.

That is what Husker fans want.
Agreed. Bowl games are exhibition games. A lame bowl tradition robbed us of the chance of throttling the 97 Michigan team that needed to be bailed out against Wazzu. Having followed Nebraska and Montana for a long time FCS has a far better postseason format. Bowls are still fun. But it’s great FBS is finally going to copy the NFL/FCS bracket with elimination.

Reactions: king_kong_
I just realized, you almost can’t bet these bowls based on what you saw in season. I thought Utah wins this easily but their top 2 backup QBs went to the portal and Rising is out. Don’t even know who played QB for Utah. They also lost 2-3 other guys as well.
I guess always take the underdog who still has their starting skill player so guess.
This Utah team is not the same as the one from 2 months ago.

I just realized, you almost can’t bet these bowls based on what you saw in season. I thought Utah wins this easily but their top 2 backup QBs went to the portal and Rising is out. Don’t even know who played QB for Utah. They also lost 2-3 other guys as well.
I guess always take the underdog who still has their starting skill player so guess.
Barnes QBed for Utah even though he's in the portal. He's not very good, but came into the game with plenty of experience. Utes were missing a couple of O-linemen and a WR, plus some defenders who opted out.

To me the weirdest part of the game was Utah's offensive game plan. They insisted on throwing the ball from the pocket, with an O-line that couldn't pass block at all. Running game looked decent but they never stuck with it.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I
And it was soooo good. It was the game that everyone fell in love with. The more product changes, the less interesting it becomes. Playoff. Bigger playoff. Opt outs. Conference realignment. NIL. Unlimited transfers. Tampering. It makes me long for New years evening at the orange bowl. Or Tempe. Not pro player or Glendale. I miss the college football that valued every game. September or December/january. Not just playoffs and Monday night championship games.
Isn't CFB more popular than ever? Didn't it break viewing records this year?

I
Isn't CFB more popular than ever? Didn't it break viewing records this year?
Popularity doesn’t mean better. Bud light and colors light sell more beer than any craft brewery, doesn’t make it better. The nfl is far more popular than college football. That doesn’t mean everyone prefers it. Increased popularity doesn’t mean it’s objectively better.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Popularity doesn’t mean better. Bud light and colors light sell more beer than any craft brewery, doesn’t make it better. The nfl is far more popular than college football. That doesn’t mean everyone prefers it. Increased popularity doesn’t mean it’s objectively better.
Well I don't like lite beer but I'm guessing people aren't drinking beer they hate so it must be better to them. Same goes for CFB. More people watching must mean they like the product compared to before. I think the expanded playoff is only going to increase CFB's popularity.

Bowl games are next to impossible to handicap now. I don’t even mess with them now. Too much turnover from these teams to figure them out. I stopped betting bowl games last year. Between turnover and lack of motivation, they’re too hard to figure out.

Reactions: blackbones
Barnes QBed for Utah even though he's in the portal. He's not very good, but came into the game with plenty of experience. Utes were missing a couple of O-linemen and a WR, plus some defenders who opted out.

To me the weirdest part of the game was Utah's offensive game plan. They insisted on throwing the ball from the pocket, with an O-line that couldn't pass block at all. Running game looked decent but they never stuck with it.
Oh, Barnes stayed… lucky for them. But not enough I guess. Frankly, for many of these teams, there’s no motivation. And sadly many games are unwatchable

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT