ADVERTISEMENT

Gettin worse every game

This needs to be big picture and not a 4 wins is a failure, 6 wins is a success thing. We need to establish a culture of hard work, find out who can and will compete and recruit better athletes. We all need this thing to work and it has a lot better chance if we are supportive. This team knows they are not very good right now, they need support so they don’t fold. Hope the home crowed rallies behind them and they play well early next week.

Agreed. One game at a time. Making a bowl game is still possible and will be a great achievement for the seniors on the roster and a good stepping stone for the future.

Reactions: headcard
This needs to be big picture and not a 4 wins is a failure, 6 wins is a success thing. We need to establish a culture of hard work, find out who can and will compete and recruit better athletes. We all need this thing to work and it has a lot better chance if we are supportive. This team knows they are not very good right now, they need support so they don’t fold. Hope the home crowed rallies behind them and they play well early next week.

Agree. I am glad that despite some of those things being pretty self evident in a 4-8 team, that things like culture, competing etc will start to be addressed in a more productive manner after we are 3 games into the season than they were in the 9 months since this staff took over.

These guys have no heart. Spoiled entitled bitches that were inherited from the worst coach we have ever had. Frost will clean this up, but it’s a bigger mess than I ever imagined. We will get better but at some point we are going to have to play heart over talent, it may not change the outcome, but will substantially improve the culture

I tend to agree with this. Frost will get time to get his guys.

Not sure if it is all heart, just a lack of desire to play football. No enjoyment on the field. It's been that way for awhile.

If you watch a lot of CFB, you can see it in the kids eyes. They just hate being on the field.

Again, I’m sure some examples exist but how many highly successful coaches took over a losing program and didn’t increase the win total in year 1. Frost can still do this.
Oh oh!!! I found one! How about Scott Frost? I hear he did magic at UCF taking an 0-12 team to 6-7 and then undefeated with a bowl win over Auburn in 2 years. Does that count? Maybe we could hire him?

Reactions: timnsun
Agree. I am glad that despite some of those things being pretty self evident in a 4-8 team, that things like culture, competing etc will start to be addressed in a more productive manner after we are 3 games into the season than they were in the 9 months since this staff took over.
So they should have been able to fix everything in one offseason? Find and develop multiple dual threat QB’s. Revamp the OL and find depth. Chance the mindset, undo multiple years of poor S and C. And since it hasn’t happened, yet, the best thing to do is bitch and moan and create a toxic environment around the program, because that will be productive? We need this thing to work and we need to give it a chance to work. Bitching and moaning like entitled babies after three games, hell after every mistake, isn’t going to help anything.

Reactions: timnsun and dand84
Every single person associated with this program would have characterized a repeat 4 win season as a failed year one prior to the start of the season. I fully support Frost but I don’t think expectations need to lowered because we are afraid of some hurt feelings. Expectations were already very cautious - expecting Frost to be able to win just 2 more games than Riley wasn’t asking him to walk on water.

Again, I’m sure some examples exist but how many highly successful coaches took over a losing program and didn’t increase the win total in year 1. Frost can still do this.
From before the season began, 4 wins is a disappointment. We should be 2-1 right now, and if we were, we would be right where we want to be. Losing games early in the season is not unheard of when new coaches are on the scene. It sucks, but not unheard of.

If by season’s end we have only 4 victories and are one of the most penalized teams in the nation and among the bottom teams in turnovers, it will be a failure. But if we clean up what we can clean up, I will be encouraged.

Cards on the table, I am absolutely lowering my expectations at this point. And truth be told, if I believe Frost will turn it around, whether that happens this year or next, I can’t call it a failed season. I’m an optimist, as you know, and will always try to find the silver lining.

Oh oh!!! I found one! How about Scott Frost? I hear he did magic at UCF taking an 0-12 team to 6-7 and then undefeated with a bowl win over Auburn in 2 years. Does that count? Maybe we could hire him?

Perhaps you should reread my question. How many successful coaches who took over a losing program DID NOT show progress in year one. I’m sure some exist

Well, Scott Frost. He was successful at UCF and took over a losing program at NU and has failed according to lots of posters on here. So he works for both questions. Right?

What a crock of a post. The coaches left it all alone til now? Generally your posts are well thought out, even if I don’t agree. Your a rational poster and challenge me in a lot of ways, which I appreciate.

But claiming they haven’t addressed any of the problems at all, and will start now? Come on...

From before the season began, 4 wins is a disappointment. We should be 2-1 right now, and if we were, we would be right where we want to be. Losing games early in the season is not unheard of when new coaches are on the scene. It sucks, but not unheard of.

If by season’s end we have only 4 victories and are one of the most penalized teams in the nation and among the bottom teams in turnovers, it will be a failure. But if we clean up what we can clean up, I will be encouraged.

Cards on the table, I am absolutely lowering my expectations at this point. And truth be told, if I believe Frost will turn it around, whether that happens this year or next, I can’t call it a failed season. I’m an optimist, as you know, and will always try to find the silver lining.

Fair enough. I am in the ... “show me, don’t tell me” camp. One season does not represent a failed hire.

I have seen no progress to date ... it doesn’t mean progress won’t be made this year or in coming years.

What a crock of a post. The coaches left it all alone til now? Generally your posts are well thought out, even if I don’t agree. Your a rational poster and challenge me in a lot of ways, which I appreciate.

But claiming they haven’t addressed any of the problems at all, and will start now? Come on...

Misunderstanding - I posted addressed IN A MORE PRODUCTIVE MANNER - not that they were never addressed

Perhaps you should reread my question. How many successful coaches who took over a losing program DID NOT show progress in year one. I’m sure some exist

The jury is still out on him, but Matt Campbell was 3-9 in year one at ISU (they were 3-9 the year before). Then went 8-5 in year 2.

Chris Petersen's first 2 years at Washington were 8-6 and 7-6 after taking over an 8-4 team. James Franklin went 7-6 his first 2 years at Penn State after taking over a 7-5 team. Those weren't losing programs, but still, they didn't show progress in terms of wins and losses until year 3.

Misunderstanding - I posted addressed IN A MORE PRODUCTIVE MANNER - not that they were never addressed
My bad... I focused on WILL START, which sounded like they hadn’t yet started, not more productive.

Apologies.

Reactions: jlb321
The jury is still out on him, but Matt Campbell was 3-9 in year one at ISU (they were 3-9 the year before). Then went 8-5 in year 2.

Chris Petersen's first 2 years at Washington were 8-6 and 7-6 after taking over an 8-4 team. James Franklin went 7-6 his first 2 years at Penn State after taking over a 7-5 team. Those weren't losing programs, but still, they didn't show progress in terms of wins and losses until year 3.

As you said Peterson and Franklin didn’t take over losing programs. Matt Campbell is a good find .. but yes the jury is out on him

you can read can't you?

Whatever it is, there is some sort of funk with Martinez back there and things seem to settle themselves down when Bunch is in. Maybe it is just because Andrew is older. But that is what I would do, and I am willing to bet as soon as you do that, things will start to get better and the offense starts to play as a team and you can work Martinez in here and there.
Ummmmm can’t agree with you on this one. Adrian is our best running back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT