ADVERTISEMENT

Gebbia did NOT practice today

My guess would be that people around him who he listens to got to him within minutes of the announcement yesterday and started putting a bug in his ear to consider moving now rather than spend this year as a back up and then transfer and sit out the year after this also - leaving an almost 3 years gap with no snaps or meaningful snaps in a game - and with only two to play after that.

Could he also go JUCO for this year and then have two to play starting next year? Takes up one of his years of eligibility, but keeps him from sitting out two years in a row.

This is why its important to sign two quarterbacks in every second or third year. Half of all D1 quarterbacks transfer from their LOI school. That means in 4 years you would have only 2 quarterbacks on average. That is if you dont have any walk ons or transfer ins. Too important not to back up your back up.
Exactly, thought Frost should have taken another qb last year. Will certainly need to take another one this year if Gebbia's gone.

I do. You don't leave your team a week before the season and put the team in a bad spot. He would have had plenty of opportunities to get on the field this year and prove himself. There's no excuse for not at least sticking around this year and seeing how things go.
It really doesn't matter if he left 2 weeks ago or now. The excuse for not sticking around is the possibility that he only has to ride the pine this year and not next. He could go JUCO and not have to sit at all. People need to just lay off the guy. This is a major life decision and he's not taking it lightly.

I do. You don't leave your team a week before the season and put the team in a bad spot. He would have had plenty of opportunities to get on the field this year and prove himself. There's no excuse for not at least sticking around this year and seeing how things go.

Exactly, if Nebraska football is your number 1 priority.

If you were passed up for a promotion, and you knew the only chance you were going to get promoted in the next 4 years was if the guy they hired over you either fails, or dies, do you stick around for the next for years? Is the company that important to you? Is their success more important than yours? please....

Exactly, thought Frost should have taken another qb last year. Will certainly need to take another one this year if Gebbia's gone.

Would be nice to have Terry Wilson as a backup right now.

I hope we go out and sign another QB in the 2019 class. Even if it's a JUCO guy. McCaffrey is a great athlete but still pretty raw as a QB. I know we'll have Vedral next year, but you can never have enough capable QBs.

If you were passed up for a promotion, and you knew the only chance you were going to get promoted in the next 4 years was if the guy they hired over you either fails, or dies, do you stick around for the next for years? Is the company that important to you? Is their success more important than yours? please....
Oh man...I just posted this like 3 minutes before you! Almost word for word! Great minds!!!

Frost bailed on his Stanford teamates
giphy.gif

He wasn’t going to play. He and his family believe he has NFL talent (he doesn't) To lose out to a true freshman means you will not be playing barring injury.

I agree, but this also kind of depends on the person. I've been in this position at work, and yes I was pissed, but I decided I was going to work my f'in ass off to show up the person that got the promotion. It worked for me. The other part was I know how much I had already put into that company, and they had some other great perks of being there, I won't dog him whatever he chooses, but I for one don't have the mentality to just pack it in right away. Also, Nebraska has a bunch of great "perks" of being here, and seems to be on the up and up. Good luck to the kid.

I guess we shouldnt be shocked by this with how college football goes now. I think he should stay for the year and see what happens. Maybe thats selfish of me.

I agree, but this also kind of depends on the person. I've been in this position at work, and yes I was pissed, but I decided I was going to work my f'in ass off to show up the person that got the promotion. It worked for me. The other part was I know how much I had already put into that company, and they had some other great perks of being there, I won't dog him whatever he chooses, but I for one don't have the mentality to just pack it in right away. Also, Nebraska has a bunch of great "perks" of being here, and seems to be on the up and up. Good luck to the kid.
That is a good example but you have to remember...you had more than 4 years to make it happen and the company probably wasn't actively "recruiting" new, younger guys to come and literally try and take your job from you. And if they were your company sounds mean! Ha

From all accounts this seemed like a very fair and balanced competition. I understand his frustration but you can't just up and leave if something doesn't go your way. He should stick it out this fall anyway cuz you never know. Look how Crouch's career turned out. If Adrian stays healthy and kills it, then it becomes a different story next spring. Hopefully someone can convince him to stay for now.

Wonder if the staff regrets not taking Matthew Tago now? Sure would be nice to have him now.

Here we see the downside of naming the younger player the starter. But Frost was true to his approach.

I'm fine with Bunch being the backup. I thought he looked very good in the spring game.

You gotta come clean here. You are making suggestions and not backing them up with anything. Say what you mean. Quit with the unknown crap. If the coaches didn’t tell him face to face, how do you know this? If they did, quit insinuating they didn’t.

You obviously know something (or think you know something), quit beating around the bush and spill it.

timnsun, sorry to be so vague. Tristan was told before the depth chart came out. It is much more important in who told him.

Reactions: timnsun
That is a good example but you have to remember...you had more than 4 years to make it happen and the company probably wasn't actively "recruiting" new, younger guys to come and literally try and take your job from you. And if they were your company sounds mean! Ha

I'm not saying I don't agree with yours or Tuco's point. I can see it on his end. I just try and think of what could happen. In this situation there are a ton of variables that could change this outcome in a hurry. Injuries happen very easily, and the fact AM hasn't played any snaps in like 2 years of live football, there is a lot of unknown. He come out and crap the bed. Either way, it's a crappy situation, and I hope the kid excels wherever he goes. It won't be a given that he starts at his other schools either.

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
That makes no sense. He can get to a new school this week or next, get to practicing with a new team, learn the offense and compete for the job in the spring, summer and fall, knowing he could play next year. If he stays here, he has to hope Martinez gets hurt, or doesn't play well in order to play.
He may still be able to get to a JUCO as well, with a potential to play this year and get some game film, and then transfer to a much bigger pool of schools next year.

The timing is a big deal. He has to figure out which schools haven't started classes yet, which schools might have a scholarship open. Which of those schools.

If he sticks around a year as a back up, he then has to sit out the next year. That would only leave him two years of eligibility. back up RS FR, sit out next year, plays RS Jr and RS Sr year.

If he leaves now, sits out this year, he would have RS soph, RS jr and RS sr year.

Yep. Can't imagine him hanging around. Would be a waste of a year of playing time.

Well, given our depth situation, as a fan I wish he would have stuck it out through the remainder of this year, which may have also been in his best interest. But he and his family decided it was in his best interest to transfer, and I assume they have a pretty good idea of his options--they aren't dumb.

Wish him the best and move on. No point in trying to call him a hypocrite, as there is no contradiction in being fully committed to X while X is still a part of your long term goals, and no longer being committed to X once it's not.

Just like the coach jerked him around by trying not to give him time to look at other schools by naming AM starter so late in the process.

If he was told by his position coach or the OC (and frankly I don't know who else would tell him), I don't see a problem with how he was informed. In any case, that'd be a pretty minor quibble to not practice today and transfer immediately.

Reactions: HuskerDana
The chance that the non-starter would transfer may very well have played into the decision to start AM. I know that talk was that he was going to start the QB that had the best grasp of the offense, made the fewest mistakes, etc., etc., but I'm sure that Frost also had to weigh what the non-starter would do. So, even if AM wasn't quite as proficient as TG at this point, my guess is that Frost weighed the better upside of AM and went with him in part due to that. Not saying AM would have transferred had he not been named the starter, but given he still has a redshirt, it would have been easier for AM to transfer since he won't lose a year of PT by doing so.

Here we see the downside of naming the younger player the starter. But Frost was true to his approach.

I'm fine with Bunch being the backup. I thought he looked very good in the spring game.

Exactly. This is supposed to be our 'down' year, so whether it's AM or Bunch running QB draws, who cares. Take this year for whatever it is and think big picture. 8-4 or 6-6 = Still a poopy bowl game.

Reactions: HuskerO
I hate it because I think he would get to start some games for us, BUT I don't see how he can stay if he wants a pro career. Who knows, AM could re-injure his shoulder tomorrow and never play a snap for us but man I don't envy Gebbia's decision.
I dont mean to sound like a jerk with this question, but why would you think Gebbia would start a game or two with a healthy Martinez? I don't see Frost playing anyone other than Martinez as long as he stays healthy.

I'd lean to what @Tuco Salamanca said, and that he goes west and enrolls where they haven't started classes yet.
Not saying he wouldn’t do that either, but if he goes JUCO he opens up a lot more possibilities for schools for him...unless he is going to walkon.

There’s no guarantee that there are schools with open scholarships - specifically for a qb with no game film and will not have played live football in over 3 years, a team with an actual qb need, and basically with a position for him to be a guaranteed starter next year, as well as still having open enrollment, and wanting a kid who is leaving his current team less than a week before the first game because he didn’t get named starter. That is going to narrow the list of schools quite drastically - with probably the top options being G5 schools on the West Coast.

All I was saying is if he goes JUCO, he could probably still get in games this year, get some game film for teams to see what he’s got, and then transfer to a much larger pool of interested schools, including many more P5.

Just like the coach jerked him around by trying not to give him time to look at other schools by naming AM starter so late in the process.
Lol sure. Like giving Gebbia a chance to compete for the starting job until the end even though Martinez was ahead of him all throughout camp.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT