ADVERTISEMENT

Gebbia did NOT practice today

He's essentially deciding over a year of football he can play, as he'll get three instead of two if he leaves now. Going left coast makes since given TG is from CA. Given this behavior from TG, it seems he might realize that if he can't beat AMart now, it's probably not happening this season and likely not in any subsequent season.

So not losing 20% of his eligibility. Sounds like a smart move to me.

The timing is a big deal. He has to figure out which schools haven't started classes yet, which schools might have a scholarship open. Which of those schools.

If he sticks around a year as a back up, he then has to sit out the next year. That would only leave him two years of eligibility. back up RS FR, sit out next year, plays RS Jr and RS Sr year.

If he leaves now, sits out this year, he would have RS soph, RS jr and RS sr year.
Either way he has 3 years left to play, it's just question of which year is the one he sits out.

Is it totally impossible that he could graduate by the end of Summer 2019 given that he enrolled early? Dunno if he had AP course credits in HS, if he did he could be a Jr in terms of academic credits.

All the dorks that piled on that poster yesterday about the possible transfer need to basically go and rub his shaft for a bit.
The day John McCain announced he had an aggressive form of brain cancer his former opponent Dr. Kelli Ward tweeted that he should immediately resign since he was obviously doomed. I guess she was right and those of us who regard her as a jerk for her remark were dorks, right?

You can be both a jerk and factually accurate and I’m ok with being called a dork for pointing that out.

Either way he has 3 years left to play, it's just question of which year is the one he sits out.

Is it totally impossible that he could graduate by the end of Summer 2019 given that he enrolled early? Dunno if he had AP course credits in HS, if he did he could be a Jr in terms of academic credits.

The difference to me is that one of those years is a guaranteed backup spot. If he leaves, he may not win the job at the new school, but it isn't a guarantee.

I am one of those people that enjoys living in reality...this was totally going to happen and if I was him I would do the same exact thing. He didn't come to college to sit the bench.

But that's the way competitive athletics go. I think it shows weak character to take your ball and go home (especially this early in the process). Hopefully he just needs a day or two to adjust his thinking and then by right back with his teammates. If everyone quit that aren't starters you'd only need 30 or so guys.

well that is a stupid decision - I understand what the kid is feeling - and also he was recruited for a different system - but it also reinforces the coaches made the right decision - somehow I do not thing Martinez transfers if he did not get the nod - I also think it makes it hard for his teammates to trust him if martinez doesnt cut it or gets hurt

Reactions: bshirt73
The difference to me is that one of those years is a guaranteed backup spot. If he leaves, he may not win the job at the new school, but it isn't a guarantee.
Exactly. Which is why if the kid were to ask my advice I'd tell him to stick it out this year at NU and make his decision in January. When was the last time NU had a QB start and complete every game without having to play the backup? One-legged Taylor handing it off against Iowa whatever year that was?

This would be Tristan taking care of Tristan. But if Tristan wants to play for a team that has a chance to win anything, I hope he understands that the coaching staff is always trying to recruit a better person at your position. So if TG pulls the trigger, he'll have to be strategic and attempt to land at a school with a substandard QB room. Or go mid-major.
In addition, the Gebbia brand that was being presented in the media was a guy who was team first. Bailing on your team on Game Week 1 is not a team first move.

I hate it because I think he would get to start some games for us, BUT I don't see how he can stay if he wants a pro career. Who knows, AM could re-injure his shoulder tomorrow and never play a snap for us but man I don't envy Gebbia's decision.

Reactions: TheBeav815
That I don't know. I just think this whole situation could have been handled MUCH better.
You gotta come clean here. You are making suggestions and not backing them up with anything. Say what you mean. Quit with the unknown crap. If the coaches didn’t tell him face to face, how do you know this? If they did, quit insinuating they didn’t.

You obviously know something (or think you know something), quit beating around the bush and spill it.

the Gebbia brand that was being presented in the media was a guy who was team first. Bailing on your team on Game Week 1 is not a team first move.
There isn't a guy on that team that wouldn't understand it if Gebbia leaves IMO. For sure Frost would understand. He was in TG's shoes once upon a time. This is just a product of the coaching turnover and not being left with enough QB depth that fits Frost's system. IF Gebbia leaves, Bunch better be ready to go.

Reactions: Sinomatic
Exactly. Which is why if the kid were to ask my advice I'd tell him to stick it out this year at NU and make his decision in January. When was the last time NU had a QB start and complete every game without having to play the backup? One-legged Taylor handing it off against Iowa whatever year that was?

That makes no sense. He can get to a new school this week or next, get to practicing with a new team, learn the offense and compete for the job in the spring, summer and fall, knowing he could play next year. If he stays here, he has to hope Martinez gets hurt, or doesn't play well in order to play.

This tweet would intimate that TG did get informed before the depth chart was released.
Last week they said they were gonna talk to the two of them before putting anything out publicly, so one would assume they did.

Bad news feels bad. It's not the day you get dumped that gets you, it's the next morning when you really feel like shit.

well that is a stupid decision - I understand what the kid is feeling - and also he was recruited for a different system - but it also reinforces the coaches made the right decision - somehow I do not thing Martinez transfers if he did not get the nod - I also think it makes it hard for his teammates to trust him if martinez doesnt cut it or gets hurt

Exactly. We had alot of close position battles that came down to the wire. He is the one that chose to take his ball and go home, which is his right, but let's not act this was someone else's fault or someone else's decision.

That makes no sense. He can get to a new school this week or next, get to practicing with a new team, learn the offense and compete for the job in the spring, summer and fall, knowing he could play next year. If he stays here, he has to hope Martinez gets hurt, or doesn't play well in order to play.
Hey I dunno what his priorities are. I feel like if I hadn't played in a real game in a couple years I'd want to be where I could see the field the soonest in any capacity. Either way you're choosing between, "Maybe you play this year" and "maybe you play in a future year."

There isn't a guy on that team that wouldn't understand it if Gebbia leaves IMO. For sure Frost would understand. He was in TG's shoes once upon a time. This is just a product of the coaching turnover and not being left with enough QB depth that fits Frost's system. IF Gebbia leaves, Bunch better be ready to go.
I can blame his timing looks like sour grapes to me - You cannot profess team first and all that then when it doesnt go your way think of only yourself - That said I do think he is a good kid but I think this is not a good move on his part for either him or the team

Reactions: bshirt73
If he doesn't want to be here, show him the door. Look, I know he's a youngster and all, but use this as a learning experience, work harder, and if it was meant to be, your opportunity will arise.

Bailing on your teammates is not a good sign of leadership.
It isn't that simple. You've got a 20 year old kid who just had his dreams crushed trying to balance the friendships he's made versus his long term career goals. I wish him nothing but the best. I think he DOES want to be at NU but man he has to think long term. Tough decision.

Reactions: timnsun
Exactly. We had alot of close position battles that came down to the wire. He is the one that chose to take his ball and go home, which is his right, but let's not act this was someone else's fault or someone else's decision.
His position is MUCH different than any other on the field. You normally play one QB and he gets almost all the snaps. We're going to be running in guys all over the place with the exception of maybe O line and look at all the O linemen that decided to transfer or just plain quit last spring or over the summer.

His position is MUCH different than any other on the field. You normally play one QB and he gets almost all the snaps. We're going to be running in guys all over the place with the exception of maybe O line and look at all the O linemen that decided to transfer.
I get that, I do, but let's just admit that is what it is. He is a telented kid that wants a chance to play sooner than later. It isn't about how he was told or by who, it is about PT and possibly even a NFL career. He wasn't going to stay no matter how he was told.

This would be Tristan taking care of Tristan. But if Tristan wants to play for a team that has a chance to win anything, I hope he understands that the coaching staff is always trying to recruit a better person at your position. So if TG pulls the trigger, he'll have to be strategic and attempt to land at a school with a substandard QB room. Or go mid-major.
In addition, the Gebbia brand that was being presented in the media was a guy who was team first. Bailing on your team on Game Week 1 is not a team first move.

I have said this before and I will say it again. You are thinking like a fan. If you are a 50 year old fan, you have the next 30-40 years to be a fan. He has a finite amount of time to play college football. You want what is best for Nebraska and care about Nebraska only. Which is great, if you are a fan. He is a player, he has to care about himself.

Are we all forgetting that the head coach, who preaches, team first also bolted from his first choice of colleges when Stanford changed coaches and he didn't see playing time in his future???? C'mon

The day John McCain announced he had an aggressive form of brain cancer his former opponent Dr. Kelli Ward tweeted that he should immediately resign since he was obviously doomed. I guess she was right and those of us who regard her as a jerk for her remark were dorks, right?

You can be both a jerk and factually accurate and I’m ok with being called a dork for pointing that out.
Yes

He gone. Don’t blame him.
I do. You don't leave your team a week before the season and put the team in a bad spot. He would have had plenty of opportunities to get on the field this year and prove himself. There's no excuse for not at least sticking around this year and seeing how things go.

I can blame his timing looks like sour grapes to me - You cannot profess team first and all that then when it doesnt go your way think of only yourself - That said I do think he is a good kid but I think this is not a good move on his part for either him or the team

I don't think he made this decision on a whim. Wouldn't surprise me if his parents had put out feelers to other schools for the last couple weeks in the event he didn't get the job.

But that's the way competitive athletics go. I think it shows weak character to take your ball and go home (especially this early in the process). Hopefully he just needs a day or two to adjust his thinking and then by right back with his teammates. If everyone quit that aren't starters you'd only need 30 or so guys.
I disagree and here is why...would you stay at your job if you and another dude were both up for a big promotion and he got it AND was a year younger than you had like 20 other companies that would be willing to give you that job you want...would you take it? Life is a competition and you gotta do what is best for you.

Reactions: HuskerO and timnsun
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT