ADVERTISEMENT

Garrett McGuire need to go?

salsa red

Junior
Dec 25, 2019
Why is he not getting any criticism? No experience before coming here, barely older than our players, looks like he's 16, and leads the most ineffective group on the team. Maybe we need to have him go to an analyst role and get a real receivers coach. WR's run bad routes, jog most of the time & rarely run full speed, commit penalties, can't block, can't win 50/50 balls, don't separate, allow db's to pick off balls.

Why is he not getting any criticism? No experience before coming here, barely older than our players, looks like he's 16, and leads the most ineffective group on the team. Maybe we need to have him go to an analyst role and get a real receivers coach. WR's run bad routes, jog most of the time & rarely run full speed, commit penalties, can't block, can't win 50/50 balls, don't separate, allow db's to pick off balls.
He's not getting any criticism?

I have seen lots of criticism. And it is completely warranted.

he gets a lot of criticism

hiring guys with zero experience running/recruiting their own room (McGuire, Uncle Donnie) is working out exactly like it should

I honestly think some of these hires were stubborn hires by Rhule. I honestly think he thought he could hire coaches with little experience and transform them in legit Power 4 coaches under his tutelage. I surely hope he has been humbled.

I honestly think some of these hires were stubborn hires by Rhule. I honestly think he thought he could hire coaches with little experience and make transform them in legit Power 4 coaches under his tutelage. I surely hope he has been humbled.
Nice Guy Matt Rhule appears to have quite the opinion of himself

kind of funny for a little guy who's put together 2 good seasons in his entire coaching career

Mainly hearing Satt. Mcguire needs as much or more than Satt since he has the worst performing group on the team, maybe equal to special teams.
I myself would have a hard time respecting any punk kid who hadn’t played the position at a high-level. Wide receivers are the biggest Primadonnas in football. They crave a tough father figure whose approval they desire. The fear of letting your coach down should be ever present

I honestly think some of these hires were stubborn hires by Rhule. I honestly think he thought he could hire coaches with little experience and transform them in legit Power 4 coaches under his tutelage. I surely hope he has been humbled.
We saw the same thing with Pelini and Frost.

Last edited:
I've been pretty critical. Barthel too.

You can almost give Rhule a pass for McGuire. He was a last minute hire after the MJ incident. But that gamble isn't working. As a group they can't get open and don't block. Rhule has to go out and hire an experienced dude at that spot.

That MJ ordeal is the gift that keeps on giving.

I have seen lot's talk for his head.
joel mchale pitchfork GIF by NETFLIX

I've been pretty critical. Barthel too.

You can almost give Rhule a pass for McGuire. He was a last minute hire after the MJ incident. But that gamble isn't working. As a group they can't get open and don't block. Rhule has to go out and hire an experienced dude at that spot.

That MJ ordeal is the gift that keeps on giving.
last minute hires are kind of Rhule's thing (WR coach, DB coach, TE coach)

unless, of course, he just chooses to not fill the position entirely (QB coach)

Reactions: JOHNNY N
last minute hires are kind of Rhule's thing (WR coach, DB coach, TE coach)

unless, of course, he just chooses to not fill the position entirely (QB coach)

Seems a bit dysfunctional. Again, you could maybe give a pass on McGuire given how all that went down. But at some point it becomes a pattern.

It's gonna take a miracle turn around in terms of production for the offense not merit a complete overhaul after the season.

• Sad
Reactions: king_kong_
The Big Ten is not where a coach should be cutting his teeth. The kid is coaching at the wrong college team in Lincoln….should be a D3 or NAIA level coach. The bigger mistake would be for the head coach to not nut up and say hey this isn’t working out well, your position group is not producing and I need to make a change.

No need to criticize him - he is who we thought he was. For some reason Rhule thinks he was worth a hire - the criticism is all on Matt.

I've been criticizing him since the first few weeks in of year 1. Receiver play has been awful. It's become the most important position group in modern college football. Can't afford to hire people who are subpar in this area.

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
he needed to go before the year started, as I stated repeatedly.

Offer Mickey Joseph whatever it takes to get him back.
We’ve got to stop looking backwards. Things didn’t work out with coaches for a reason. I love the way Mickey coaches, bill Busch is a good coach. But we can’t expect them to return and everything be like it was before. I’m not saying a change from what we have today isn’t necessary just think we need to look ahead.

We’ve got to stop looking backwards. Things didn’t work out with coaches for a reason. I love the way Mickey coaches, bill Busch is a good coach. But we can’t expect them to return and everything be like it was before. I’m not saying a change from what we have today isn’t necessary just think we need to look ahead.
What’s hilarious is that they were the best coaching staff Nebraska’s had since Pelini.

Does rhule care about winning? Or does he care about taking care of his guys and being liked?

He’s already financially set for generations..

We’ll see what’s more important to him.
Didn’t Saban say “If you want to be liked, go sell ice cream”. Rhule needs to be a man and do what’s best for the program. Problem is I truly believe he thinks he’s already doing that.

I think his coaching is good enough he needs better players. That is on him to though. My only knock on him his WR's will not block. He should sit them and let guys like Bullock play. At least he will block. Maybe he can get open. Can't hurt.

he gets a lot of criticism

hiring guys with zero experience running/recruiting their own room (McGuire, Uncle Donnie) is working out exactly like it should
There are only a few reasons a HC should hire AC's.

1. They are ****ing ruthless recruiters (both HS and portal now)
2. They have tons of experience
3. Maybe if they have a super hot wife, but, still they should also have 1 or 2.

I think his coaching is good enough he needs better players. That is on him to though. My only knock on him his WR's will not block. He should sit them and let guys like Bullock play. At least he will block. Maybe he can get open. Can't hurt.
Others are reporting that route running is poor, they can’t get separation. Coach is supposed to be teaching them how to improve. If he is well then either they don’t listen or don’t care.

Didn’t Saban say “If you want to be liked, go sell ice cream”. Rhule needs to be a man and do what’s best for the program. Problem is I truly believe he thinks he’s already doing that.
While there is clearly room to be nice....I think you are seeing what "nice" is doing for Bama right now. One play away from having 3 losses...really almost 4. They are mess.

I was a "nice" FB coach and because of that, I know I was not as good as I could have been.

Reactions: king_kong_
Really frustrating that we have coaches who appear to have to "figure it out" at this level for this salary.

Reactions: Crisker
Usually when a group of receivers can't block it's because they don't put the effort into it, but this group has been uncanny at getting penalties when they aren't missing a block.

While there is clearly room to be nice....I think you are seeing what "nice" is doing for Bama right now. One play away from having 3 losses...really almost 4. They are mess.

I was a "nice" FB coach and because of that, I know I was not as good as I could have been.
I don't know much about DeBoer's coaching style, but I do know that he's been wildly successful everywhere he's been. Alabama and the SEC is an entirely different animal though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT