ADVERTISEMENT

Fyfe should have been the qb from day one....

BornNBredRed

Assistant Head Coach
Jun 24, 2001
Imagine how polished he would be if he had three years of experience. Hopefully, he gets the nod going forward.

Imagine how polished he would be if he had three years of experience. Hopefully, he gets the nod going forward.

Holy crap... he threw 4 INT's and had a stupid fumble that cost us. Granted he hasn't had a lot of experience, but if Tommy plays today we win...

No way. If a coach that is qualified and respected enough to be hired by the NY Giants to coach Eli Manning says that he is a backup then I'm going to go ahead and trust his judgement with the game we saw from him today as evidence.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

At least two of the interceptions were not his fault. He made at least a dozen short throws that Tommy simply cannot make. It was great to see what the offense will look like with a QB who can run Riley's throwing offense.

I am tired of the IFs. ..

Go ahead and be tired of the "ifs"... It is reality. We didn't have our starting QB today and his back up was responsible for 5 TO's... In addition we lost our starting RB and one of our best WR's/PR's and played without several key defensive guys. Try coaching around that kind of obstacle...

Reactions: baseball31ne
At least two of the interceptions were not his fault. He made at least a dozen short throws that Tommy simply cannot make. It was great to see what the offense will look like with a QB who can run Riley's throwing offense.

Let's PRETEND that NONE of the INT's were Fyfe's fault. The fact of the matter is that Riley was forced to play a Big 10 road game without his starting QB and that is a huge hurdle to overcome. Fyfe did some nice things, but he's not as good as TA

Yeah surprised the patriots haven't snatched all of'em
Let's PRETEND that NONE of the INT's were Fyfe's fault. The fact of the matter is that Riley was forced to play a Big 10 road game without his starting QB and that is a huge hurdle to overcome. Fyfe did some nice things, but he's not as good as TA
Oh and that stadium was insanely loud too, lets not forget that....very,very difficult situation

For it being his first game, I was incredibly impressed. He had to be 85% on passes under 10 yards. Tommy is typically 20% on those, which is why coach calls 50 yard bombs on 4th and 6 with Tommy. The main problem today was the defense. They are an embarassment. Everyone but Collins needs to turn in their blackshirts immediately. Do we have a sigle LB that runs under a 5.2 forty?

For it being his first game, I was incredibly impressed. He had to be 85% on passes under 10 yards. Tommy is typically 20% on those, which is why coach calls 50 yard bombs on 4th and 6 with Tommy. The main problem today was the defense. They are an embarassment. Everyone but Collins needs to turn in their blackshirts immediately. Do we have a sigle LB that runs under a 5.2 forty?

D struggled but 5 TO's by Fyfe put them in horrible spots and they don't have the depth or personnel to overcome that. Our secondary is what's bothering me the most.

and while we're pretending... let's pretend that Nebraska playing a second team QB is a valid excuse for losing to Purdue.

Last year Armstrong had a bad game against Purdue. He completed 8 of 21 and threw 2 interceptions. No worries, it was Purdue. Nebraska WIN.
In 2013, Armstrong went 6 of 18 and threw 3 interceptions. Kellogg played part of the game also. Didn't matter, it was Purdue. Nebraska WIN.

It should not matter who plays QB. Nebraska should not lose to Purdue.

Reactions: kakdawg
and while we're pretending... let's pretend that Nebraska playing a second team QB is a valid excuse for losing to Purdue.

Last year Armstrong had a bad game against Purdue. He completed 8 of 21 and threw 2 interceptions. No worries, it was Purdue. Nebraska WIN.
In 2013, Armstrong went 6 of 18 and threw 3 interceptions. Kellogg played part of the game also. Didn't matter, it was Purdue. Nebraska WIN.

It should not matter who plays QB. Nebraska should not lose to Purdue.

Does Urban Meyer win this game as Husker coach given the EXACT same situation that Riley is in (you must include all the attrition, injuries, etc that have happened at this point). Does Urban Meyer come in to Lincoln in year 1 with this roster and all the circumstances surrounding it and win today with a back-up QB who just had 5 TO's? Nope. And neither does Harbaugh... Riley might not be the right man for this job, but judging him ONLY on this one year is the dumbest thing I've ever heard...

Our offense scored plenty of points to win. Purdue should not have scored nearly as much as they did. Collins is the only playmaker. That is not Riley's fault.

did you watch the game?

In start #1, he puts up 45 points. Yes, he made some mistakes, but at least 2 interceptions were not on him. Our defense has to hold freaking Purdue under 45 points. If we get a defensive stop now and then, we would have scored much more.

Minus the turnovers, we saw what Riley's offense can poentially be today......mostly high percentage short passes. Tommy simply cannot make those short passes. We will be fine going forward with better quarterbacking and some division one talent on defense.

Uhm, no. His sidearm passing all day was almost unbearable to watch.

Let me guess - the ball that was thrown three yards behind Reilly is one of those that's not on Fyfe? Just because it's a tipped ball doesn't mean it wasn't a terrible throw.

Fyfe definitely shouldn't have been put in a position to hand Purdue 20+ points on a silver platter, but he did. If he should have been starting from Day One, then this program is officially dead.

It is just sad our #2 QB is a walk on that is not very good. Why Daniel Davie is on the team let alone on the field is beyond me.

28 points directly off of turnovers. sorry I have to spell this out for ya.

We were playing freaking Purdue, not New England, our defense could have nutted it up and held them without scoring or at least to some field goals after the turnovers.

Minus the turnovers, we saw what Riley's offense can poentially be today......mostly high percentage short passes. Tommy simply cannot make those short passes. We will be fine going forward with better quarterbacking and some division one talent on defense.
Is it super hot in Arizona today or something?

In start #1, he puts up 45 points. Yes, he made some mistakes, but at least 2 interceptions were not on him. Our defense has to hold freaking Purdue under 45 points. If we get a defensive stop now and then, we would have scored much more.

Do you play fantasy football? What Fyfe did today was pure fantasy gold. Dig yourself a HUGE hole and then play from behind the rest of the day to pile up cheap stats. Throw some meaningless TD's and pile up the yardage to make the score look "better"... there was a reason we were playing from behind and Fyfe had a lot to do with that large deficit. Agree he did some good things today, but his inexperience cost us the game.

We were playing freaking Purdue, not New England, our defense could have nutted it up and held them without scoring or at least to some field goals after the turnovers.

Our D is pretty bad, but if we are going to expect any D to get out the situations this group was placed in today and be okay with 5 turnovers we will never win shit. I am sorry that you don't get this.

Reactions: stixon
Let me guess - the ball that was thrown three yards behind Reilly is one of those that's not on Fyfe? Just because it's a tipped ball doesn't mean it wasn't a terrible throw.

Fyfe definitely shouldn't have been put in a position to hand Purdue 20+ points on a silver platter, but he did. If he should have been starting from Day One, then this program is officially dead.

Not that one, although that was not a horrible pass. He missed on that, but 99% of the time that is a simple incompletion. The pass Hovey had in both hands must be caught. Westercamp did not come back to the ball on one and the db did.

28 points directly off of turnovers. sorry I have to spell this out for ya.

One turnover was totally on Fyfe. The starting center snaps the ball before he calls for it yet the turnover is Fyfe's fault??? He played pretty damn good... if only the other starters would of played as well as the new guy.

Reactions: BornNBredRed
I think we're onto something here. Just fall behind a really bad team 42-16 late in the 3rd quarter - with half of your opponent's points coming directly off turnovers - and this offense really starts to click.

Our D is pretty bad, but if we are going to expect any D to get out the situations this group was placed in today and be okay with 5 turnovers we will never win shit. I am sorry that you don't get this.

Do you expect any backup to score over 45 points? The defense can't allow 55 points to freaking Purdue no matter how many turnovers. The turnovers were not all in the red zone, were they?

Bottom line is everyone could have played better, not just Fyfe. It would have been nice had the defense held them to a few fg's, but it wasn't meant to be. I really was pulling for Ryker to have a good game with minimal mistakes, but it's par for the season for this team, nothing seems to go their way most of the time.

Reactions: stixon
One turnover was totally on Fyfe. The starting center snaps the ball before he calls for it yet the turnover is Fyfe's fault??? He played pretty damn good... if only the other starters would of played as well as the new guy.

He committed a cardinal sin. The snap was AWFUL, but he tried to pick it up. Just fall on it like every 8 year old has been taught to do since they started playing pee wee football.

ADVERTISEMENT