ADVERTISEMENT

FWIW - Pac 12 Football Head Coach Salaries

Of course your points still stand, because the only examples that "count" are those that support your premise. Any sports franchise relocation that doesn't fit your narrative can be explained away, simply because you say so.

Denver, where I live, is almost exactly the same size as St. Louis. But Denver has all four major sports plus MLS soccer, while St. Louis has only the Cardinals and Blues. Does that mean Denver is twice as supportive of professional sports as St. Louis? I don't really think so, but if I tried really hard and squealed loudly enough, I could shape a self-serving argument to that effect. And come to think of it, St. Louis must be a terrible sports town because the Rams went back to god-forsaken LA and they still haven't replaced the NBA Hawks or the MLB Browns. Pathetic sports fans, those people in St. Louis.
As someone that grew up in the Denver area, I'd have to agree with your points. To me, Denver as a 4-sport city isn't on the same par with Boston, NYC, Detroit, and Chicago in terms of fans. Lots of transplants to the area that have their old teams that they still root for. Plus, the teams in those other cities have been around for much longer (the Broncos and Patriots started at the same time, but the Broncos are Denver's oldest team, while the Pats are the Boston area's newest team).

I've been to Rockies games against the Yankees and Cardinals when Coors Field was probably half Yankee or Card fans.

As someone that grew up in the Denver area, I'd have to agree with your points. To me, Denver as a 4-sport city isn't on the same par with Boston, NYC, Detroit, and Chicago in terms of fans. Lots of transplants to the area that have their old teams that they still root for. Plus, the teams in those other cities have been around for much longer (the Broncos and Patriots started at the same time, but the Broncos are Denver's oldest team, while the Pats are the Boston area's newest team).

I've been to Rockies games against the Yankees and Cardinals when Coors Field was probably half Yankee or Card fans.
Denver actually supports the Rockies, Avs and Nuggets pretty well even when the opponent isn't the big draw. But like you I don't think it means those teams have a particularly avid fan base. These days it's really more about the gobs of people who live in or near downtown Denver needing something fun to do, and that helps boost ticket sales. Nothing wrong with that, obviously, but it's not an indication of die-hard fandom like you see in other cities.

Denver actually supports the Rockies, Avs and Nuggets pretty well even when the opponent isn't the big draw. But like you I don't think it means those teams have a particularly avid fan base. These days it's really more about the gobs of people who live in or near downtown Denver needing something fun to do, and that helps boost ticket sales. Nothing wrong with that, obviously, but it's not an indication of die-hard fandom like you see in other cities.
I wouldn't call ticket sales at Coors "support" of the Rockies. 99% of the twentysomething crowd that attends don't know who Don Baylor is.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I wouldn't call ticket sales at Coors "support" of the Rockies. 99% of the twentysomething crowd that attends don't know who Don Baylor is.
I agree, but they still buy tickets and a whole lot of food and booze. A lot of MLB teams would love to have the Rockies’ attendance, whether or not the fans pay any attention to the game.

And yeah, the Broncos are absolutely the year-round #1 sports story in Denver, but the other pro teams still draw pretty well, even if they are mostly party venues.

Reactions: Nebraska_Reality
I think where you're getting confused is at the word 'fan'.

people who don't go to games and support teams? they're not fans. doesn't mean they're lethargic, they just care about other things.

of course there are less local crazed sports fans on the west coast. a giant percentage of the population in CA & WA are transplants, so even the sports fans who reside there support their teams from afar and don't bother going to see Stanford vs Cal.

the locals there, by and large, aren't raised to live and die with their teams like we are in the midwest where much of our tradition and identity is tied to local sports. they care about other things they deem a better use of their time, because that's how their parents and friends behave.

being lethargic, for the last time, has nothing to do with it. apathetic is the term you've been searching for. use it.
I'm talking about people who spend money, go to games, buy clothes,hats, or get packages to a conf network.
They make the decisions on how a network can showcase is potential value and get better contracts, which goes back to the schools,who have more monies for their staffs.
Everybody else, unless they only watch the games,which means they likely have a network package, or are somehow tracked by another network, for that conf games, then those numbers too come into play.

In such a highly populated area, the numbers just arent there.

Here's a brief tutorial:

People in the Bay Area who didn't go to Stanford and don't care about Stanford athletics = Lethargic!!!!

People in Nebraska who didn't go Creighton but do attend Creighton games = Effin' Jayskers!!!!!
Or, cal,or the niners, r you name it, they all dont count. However you name it, who doesnt go is who counts, in the scenario where a population center say, fours times larger than denver cant support the four sports, it doesnt matter if its party fans, fans wanting jerseys,hats whatever only because theyre cool, whatever the reasons, if the numbers arent there, neither is the monies for contracts.
Comparing the few folks that haven't over time to become crayton fans, to the millions who dont for stanford games is exactly right, lethargic.
Ever wonder why stanfords success didnt last like craytons, in a population base ten times larger?
Oh, wait they have cal, oh wait, their numbers suck too. Maybe a hockey team? If you come to the point where youve never experienced true fans, in areas where it runs deep, like the broncos, you yourself are already poiting out the differences about the other teams fans, like the rockies fans, now, imagine only one third of those fans showing up in denver, that one third would be the norm.
Thats the left coast.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT