ADVERTISEMENT

FWIW - Pac 12 Football Head Coach Salaries

Pro sports franchises have been bolting for greener pastures for decades, with no particular pattern. Big Ten country has lost its share too - the Braves moved from Milwaukee to Atlanta, the Cincinnati Royals became the Kansas City-Omaha Kings, the North Stars left the Twin Cities for Dallas and the Browns snuck off to Baltimore under the cover of darkness - to name a few. Texas might be the most football-crazy place in the world, but it lost the Oilers to Memphis and then Nashville.

I agree that Pac 12 territory, in general, is not nearly as much into college sports as Big Ten, SEC or Big 12 country. But pro sports fare pretty well in the West, a couple of departures notwithstanding.
From a spectator standpoint, I'd agree.

From a participant perspective, the PAC 12 has 529 national championships, which is over 200 more than the next conference (B1G).

Pro sports franchises have been bolting for greener pastures for decades, with no particular pattern. Big Ten country has lost its share too - the Braves moved from Milwaukee to Atlanta, the Cincinnati Royals became the Kansas City-Omaha Kings, the North Stars left the Twin Cities for Dallas and the Browns snuck off to Baltimore under the cover of darkness - to name a few. Texas might be the most football-crazy place in the world, but it lost the Oilers to Memphis and then Nashville.

I agree that Pac 12 territory, in general, is not nearly as much into college sports as Big Ten, SEC or Big 12 country. But pro sports fare pretty well in the West, a couple of departures notwithstanding.
Yea, the jets, the bears, the giants, in comparable style zed cities, sure they are, and no, I just wont let that fly.
Baltimore used to have a team, minny replaced their team right away. Now, how long has it been for those sonics? Only one team in san fran when the raiders went to,LA who went how many years without a pro team?
No, look it up, look up the populations, which only new york is comparable, and it isnt happening there.
Not one of those other cities have the market, thus the money, thus the pay etc.
So apples, like the twin cities, vs LA? Or, San fran vs cleveland?

Just admit it, they simply dont care, its the way it was when I lived there, and it hasnt changed. Some even want to rid their college teams of all sports, some belittle sports, and thats the heart of where this comes from.

Well....what I've noticed is that kids take occasional days off from school during the week to go hunt, and go to football on a Saturday.

I don't necessarily look at that as a positive.

What I was trying to say was that people in the midwest make time for hunting and football, because they care. People on the west coast could take a couple days off from surfing and hiking if they truly cared.

Drive time isn't an excuse for me. I drive 8 hours to games and have multiple friends who drive just as far to multiple games. It's all about the passion.

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
From a spectator standpoint, I'd agree.

From a participant perspective, the PAC 12 has 529 national championships, which is over 200 more than the next conference (B1G).
I can think of one of those 529 that should have an asterisk next to it. #5thdown

Yea, the jets, the bears, the giants, in comparable style zed cities, sure they are, and no, I just wont let that fly.
Baltimore used to have a team, minny replaced their team right away. Now, how long has it been for those sonics? Only one team in san fran when the raiders went to,LA who went how many years without a pro team?
No, look it up, look up the populations, which only new york is comparable, and it isnt happening there.
Not one of those other cities have the market, thus the money, thus the pay etc.
So apples, like the twin cities, vs LA? Or, San fran vs cleveland?

Just admit it, they simply dont care, its the way it was when I lived there, and it hasnt changed. Some even want to rid their college teams of all sports, some belittle sports, and thats the heart of where this comes from.
Won’t let what “fly,” exactly? Apparently the pro sports franchise moves that support your narrative “count,” but for all the others there is some reasonable explanation that has nothing to do with the fans.

And I already agreed that most places in PAC 12 territory don’t really give two shits about college sports. There are exceptions like Oregon, Arizona for BB and Arizona State for baseball. But for the most part the PAC 12 fan bases aren’t nearly aa passionate as in othe regions. But then I’ve always felt that what people do with their time and money is their business, not mine.

Won’t let what “fly,” exactly? Apparently the pro sports franchise moves that support your narrative “count,” but for all the others there is some reasonable explanation that has nothing to do with the fans.

And I already agreed that most places in PAC 12 territory don’t really give two shits about college sports. There are exceptions like Oregon, Arizona for BB and Arizona State for baseball. But for the most part the PAC 12 fan bases aren’t nearly aa passionate as in othe regions. But then I’ve always felt that what people do with their time and money is their business, not mine.
Except, minny, kc, cleveland etc, arent on the west coast, and arent in the same league as far as a market is concerned, other than that, you're right.
My exception was new york, a apples to apples, in market and numbers, but they dont have this moving franchise problem, or worse yet, lack of teams for years and years.

I can think of one of those 529 that should have an asterisk next to it. #5thdown
So, OK....528 if you wish.

Of course, I can't bash the 5th Down too much when we have the Wiggins Kick (which is illegal). Besides....both were ultimately the fault of the Missouri defense.

Soccer,volleyball,golf,water polo, now, go last twenty five or so years, remove those sports, then get back to us.
Why do I need to remove those sports.....especially volleyball? Those all count, and the athletes work just as hard in those as they do in football.

Here...I got rid of soccer, golf, and water polo. I kept volleyball, because we're Nebraska.

National Championships since (and including) 1996:
Football
PAC 12: 3
B1G: 4

Womens Volleyball
PAC 12: 11
B1G: 9

Mens CC
PAC 12: 11
B1G: 2

Womens CC
PAC 12: 10
B1G: 1

Mens BB
PAC 12: 0

Womens BB

Wrestling
B1G: 20

Mens Outdoor Track
PAC 12: 3
B1G: 0

Womens Outdoor Track
PAC 12: 6

Softball
PAC 12: 14

Baseball
PAC 12: 6

Total
PAC 12: 64
B1G: 39

Last edited:
Except, minny, kc, cleveland etc, arent on the west coast, and arent in the same league as far as a market is concerned, other than that, you're right.
My exception was new york, a apples to apples, in market and numbers, but they dont have this moving franchise problem, or worse yet, lack of teams for years and years.
Of course those cities aren’t on the West Coast. which was the whole point - that pro sports franchise moves happen all over the country, and almost always because an owner scores a better deal somewhere else. Personally I don’t think Sacramento wrestled a team away from Kansas City because it’s a better basketball town. It’s probably more a case of the Kings being the only game in town in Sacramento, while people in Kansas City lean more toward KU or Missouri hoops. And while Dallas sure as hell isn’t a better hockey town than Minneapolis, the Stars still bolted because the owner saw big dollar signs. But, if all I wanted to do was blowhard about how this group of fans is way better than that group of fans, I could take either of those franchise moves and twist them to fit that argument.

Last edited:
Of course those cities aren’t on the West Coast. which was the whole point - that pro sports franchise moves happen all over the country, and almost always because an owner scores a better deal somewhere else. Personally I don’t think Sacramento wrestled a team away Kansas City because it’s a better basketball town. It’s probably more a case of the Kings being the only game in town in Sacramento, while people in Kansas City lean more toward KU or Missouri hoops. And while Dallas sure as hell isn’t a better hockey town than Minneapolis, the Stars still bolted because the owner saw big dollar signs. But, if all I wanted to do was blowhard about how this group of fans is way better than that group of fans, I could take either of those franchise moves and twist them to fit that argument.
People on the west coast are lazy because they might not choose to attend certain sporting events.

Everyone knows that. It’s the only explanation.

Reactions: schuele
Nah, refs deemed the kick unintentional, therefore legal. You're not gonna win that argument on this board.
I'm well aware of what the refs ruled. Wiggins did later admit to intentionally kicking the ball, though.

Don't get me wrong...I'm glad he got away with it. I'm just not going to ridicule one play over another.

I'm well aware of what the refs ruled. Wiggins did later admit to intentionally kicking the ball, though.

Don't get me wrong...I'm glad he got away with it. I'm just not going to ridicule one play over another.
If the refs really wanted to be ticky tacky about it they could have called it an illegal kick. However, that's not the intention of the rule. The rule is for situations like when the Miami punter kicked the ball out of the endzone in the 94 Orange Bowl. By your definition then every time a pass gets deflected off someone's hands then an illegal batting of the ball penalty needs to be called. If Shevin Wiggins had just said, "I tried to catch the ball with my hand and foot" then this wouldn't even be an issue.

Reactions: Bugeater
When it comes to sports, yes. Theres other things as well. Why was there no nfl teams in LA?
Why can you get tickets to usc games for 25$ ? Why did the sonics go away? Now, the seatac area is certainly large enough, smaller cities have more college and pro sports.
Scottsbluff is over six hours away, but there people going to Lincoln on saturdays.

These are excuses, you're either a fan or you're not, but if they're good? They're all fans.
Defend that if you must, but in my book, thats lethargy

I think we can all take away West Coast Liberals hate sports.... IBTL

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
If the refs really wanted to be ticky tacky about it they could have called it an illegal kick. However, that's not the intention of the rule. The rule is for situations like when the Miami punter kicked the ball out of the endzone in the 94 Orange Bowl. By your definition then every time a pass gets deflected off someone's hands then an illegal batting of the ball penalty needs to be called. If Shevin Wiggins had just said, "I tried to catch the ball with my hand and foot" then this wouldn't even be an issue.
Not trying to make it an issue....just stating facts regarding the kick and the 5th down.,,and, like I said, the Missouri defense is to blame in both instances.

Let it be known earlier in the game a Missouri defensive player had kicked the ball that ended being a interception for Missouri...

Shevin Wiggins was trying to bring the ball in and catch it with his hands by bringing it in with his feet.

Last edited:
There are several issues IMO that contribute to poorer TV contracts for the PAC 12. First, the time zone doesn't lend itself to prime time national audiences like those further East. Second, the local fans are fair weather fans not nearly as rabid as those in other areas of the country. Third, there are a lot of other non-sports related distractions in the warmer, more populous PAC states like California and Arizona.

And the traffic man! My god if you live any further than five or 10 miles from the stadium do you really want to do that drive? On your time off?

Of course those cities aren’t on the West Coast. which was the whole point - that pro sports franchise moves happen all over the country, and almost always because an owner scores a better deal somewhere else. Personally I don’t think Sacramento wrestled a team away from Kansas City because it’s a better basketball town. It’s probably more a case of the Kings being the only game in town in Sacramento, while people in Kansas City lean more toward KU or Missouri hoops. And while Dallas sure as hell isn’t a better hockey town than Minneapolis, the Stars still bolted because the owner saw big dollar signs. But, if all I wanted to do was blowhard about how this group of fans is way better than that group of fans, I could take either of those franchise moves and twist them to fit that argument.
My points still stand, apples to apples only new york is comparable, and LA has gone many years without franchises.
This points directly at the weak support there is for sports there.
Not much better in san fran as well. Looking at the Seattle area, 3.5 million metro,15th largest in the us, they have few pro sports teams as well.
I suppose I could look up Portland, but why bother, just more of the same.
Lethargic

My points still stand, apples to apples only new york is comparable, and LA has gone many years without franchises.
Not much better in san fran as well. Looking at the Seattle area, 3.5 million metro,15th largest in the us, they have few pro sports teams as well.
Lethargic
I'm starting to think you either:

a.) don't know what lethargic means, or,
b.) have a really hard time realizing not everyone is required to like sports

I'm starting to think you either:

a.) don't know what lethargic means, or,
b.) have a really hard time realizing not everyone is required to like sports
Do you know what definition of it I'm using? I'm beginning to think not.
But, it just so happens a shite ton load of those who dont like sports live on the left coast, kinda the point here.
I'm kind of wondering if you still haven't got the point ?

Here, let me help
https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/lethargic
Apathetic, laid back, passive
Or
Whatever man

Last edited:
But, it just so happens a shite ton load of those who dont like sports live on the left coast, kinda the point here.
le·thar·gic
/ləˈTHärjik/
adjective
  1. affected by lethargy; sluggish and apathetic.
    "I felt tired and a little lethargic"
you're right. I really don't get your point at all.

Here, let me help
https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/lethargic
Apathetic, laid back, passive
Or
Whatever man
umm.. those are synonyms, not the definition of the word.

a thesaurus helps expand one's vocabulary, lest he go on using the same words over and over.

a dictionary defines the language, word by word.

perhaps, in addition to not knowing what lethargic means, you need some help with 'definition', as well?

umm.. those are synonyms, not the definition of the word.

a thesaurus helps expand one's vocabulary, lest he go on using the same words over and over.

a dictionary defines the language, word by word.

perhaps, in addition to not knowing what lethargic means, you need some help with 'definition', as well?
Then include the entire definition. It's been used in headlines,or dont you read.
Those headlines? Refering to groups of people. You equivocating those headlines to corona virus?
You need to expand your horizons, let alone your vocabulary

Missouri's defense failed to stop the crown of Charles Johnson's helmet from breaking the plane of the goal line. So... touchdown, Buffs!
Actually, it's quite simple. In both games, Missouri's defense allowed 2 option teams to pick up large chunks of yardage in a short period of time. In the case of the 5th down game, 80+ yards in a little over 2 minutes.

So, while the refs made a mistake with the extra down, and CU's last TD is certainly overturned in the era of replay, Missouri failed to get the job done before it got to that point.

Yes....the 1982 Nebraska-Penn State game....Nebraska's fault. Penn State converted a 4th and 12 a few plays before the infamous catch. Nebraska holds them to less than 11 yards on that play, and Nebraska runs out the clock, and that game is never talked about except as one of their greatest wins.

If you take care of business like you should, it doesn't come down to an official's call. Missouri had 80+ yards before that play to take care of business, but didn't. The loss is on them.

Then include the entire definition. It's been used in headlines,or dont you read.
Those headlines? Refering to groups of people. You equivocating those headlines to corona virus?
You need to expand your horizons, let alone your vocabulary
so, to bring this insane circus of a thread back to literally my first post:

some sports don't do well on the west coast because the people there choose to do other things they deem better uses of their time & money. obviously.

not because they are lethargic. also obviously.

giphy.gif

so, to bring this insane circus of a thread back to literally my first post:

some sports don't do well on the west coast because the people there choose to do other things they deem better uses of their time & money. obviously.

not because they are lethargic. also obviously.

giphy.gif
Well, fans decide to do other things to the point of crap attendance,found in one area of the country in numbers much higher than elsewheres explains this
http://www.pac12board.com/index.php?/topic/8435-lethargic-fans/
They know, dont know why you dont?

A little snippet from them

I realize that fan interaction is down in nearly every conference but our conference has to be the worst in all the major conferences.

Poor attendance for the Stanford game, Oregon State, Colorado, Arizona State, etc. It’s as if the fans don’t care.

With Colorado playing their in state rivals, there should have been 60,000 fans in attendance. Corvallis isn’t huge but you had a decent team from another P5 conference. 36,000 fans is crap. Stanford is simply pathetic.

Now, you can go revive that topic over there, tell them how the word lethargic doesn't apply, and how people can do as they wish, and try to seperate how this has no effects on why the pac has poor network monies etc etc, or, just tell them, whatever man.

Last edited:
Lethargic
Of course your points still stand, because the only examples that "count" are those that support your premise. Any sports franchise relocation that doesn't fit your narrative can be explained away, simply because you say so.

Denver, where I live, is almost exactly the same size as St. Louis. But Denver has all four major sports plus MLS soccer, while St. Louis has only the Cardinals and Blues. Does that mean Denver is twice as supportive of professional sports as St. Louis? I don't really think so, but if I tried really hard and squealed loudly enough, I could shape a self-serving argument to that effect. And come to think of it, St. Louis must be a terrible sports town because the Rams went back to god-forsaken LA and they still haven't replaced the NBA Hawks or the MLB Browns. Pathetic sports fans, those people in St. Louis.

Of course your points still stand, because the only examples that "count" are those that support your premise. Any sports franchise relocation that doesn't fit your narrative can be explained away, simply because you say so.

Denver, where I live, is almost exactly the same size as St. Louis. But Denver has all four major sports plus MLS soccer, while St. Louis has only the Cardinals and Blues. Does that mean Denver is twice as supportive of professional sports as St. Louis? I don't really think so, but if I tried really hard and squealed loudly enough, I could shape a self-serving argument to that effect. And come to think of it, St. Louis must be a terrible sports town because the Rams went back to god-forsaken LA and they still haven't replaced the NBA Hawks or the MLB Browns. Pathetic sports fans, those people in St. Louis.
Last time I checked, denver isnt on the left coast, besides, there must be nothing to do there, to sidle up to the other opinions on here.
Again, we are talking west coast, cooler than you, whatever man.
So, you too could go on my link, explain to those west coast pac fans are full of it, and theyre wrong.

Oh and also fwiw, thats more sports than LA had for many years that denver had.

Last edited:
Well, fans decide to do other things to the point of crap attendance,found in one area of the country in numbers much higher than elsewheres explains this
http://www.pac12board.com/index.php?/topic/8435-lethargic-fans/
They know, dont know why you dont?

A little snippet from them

I realize that fan interaction is down in nearly every conference but our conference has to be the worst in all the major conferences.

Poor attendance for the Stanford game, Oregon State, Colorado, Arizona State, etc. It’s as if the fans don’t care.

With Colorado playing their in state rivals, there should have been 60,000 fans in attendance. Corvallis isn’t huge but you had a decent team from another P5 conference. 36,000 fans is crap. Stanford is simply pathetic.

Now, you can go revive that topic over there, tell them how the word lethargic doesn't apply, and how people can do as they wish, and try to seperate how this has no effects on why the pac has poor network monies etc etc, or, just tell them, whatever man.
I think where you're getting confused is at the word 'fan'.

people who don't go to games and support teams? they're not fans. doesn't mean they're lethargic, they just care about other things.

of course there are less local crazed sports fans on the west coast. a giant percentage of the population in CA & WA are transplants, so even the sports fans who reside there support their teams from afar and don't bother going to see Stanford vs Cal.

the locals there, by and large, aren't raised to live and die with their teams like we are in the midwest where much of our tradition and identity is tied to local sports. they care about other things they deem a better use of their time, because that's how their parents and friends behave.

being lethargic, for the last time, has nothing to do with it. apathetic is the term you've been searching for. use it.

I think where you're getting confused is at the word 'fan'.

people who don't go to games and support teams? they're not fans. doesn't mean they're lethargic, they just care about other things.

of course there are less local crazed sports fans on the west coast. a giant percentage of the population in CA & WA are transplants, so even the sports fans who reside there support their teams from afar and don't bother going to see Stanford vs Cal.

the locals there, by and large, aren't raised to live and die with their teams like we are in the midwest where much of our tradition and identity is tied to local sports. they care about other things they deem a better use of their time, because that's how their parents and friends behave.

being lethargic, for the last time, has nothing to do with it. apathetic is the term you've been searching for. use it.

Here's a brief tutorial:

People in the Bay Area who didn't go to Stanford and don't care about Stanford athletics = Lethargic!!!!

People in Nebraska who didn't go Creighton but do attend Creighton games = Effin' Jayskers!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT