ADVERTISEMENT

FWIW: Deion Sanders Creating Controversy at Colorado

RedCap

Nebraska Legend
Sep 29, 2001
SIAP but Deion's strong religious beliefs and preaching to the players are creating controversy at Colorado. With kickoff to the 2023 Buffaloes season just months away, Sanders is in the middle between two religious groups. One group that wants Colorado to force him to stop preaching his religious beliefs to his players while another one warned the university that telling him to do so could infringe on his rights.

Not the first time Deion has been controversial over religion. Sanders was known for expressing his strong belief in God when it came to his coaching style at Jackson State. When he left the Tigers for the Colorado gig, he was mocked for having had earlier proclaimed that God sent him to become the coach of Jackson State but then he left the job anyway for more money and a bigger stage.

Last edited:
NPC_wojak_meme.png

We must not offend anyone

Say what you want about Sanders, I don't really see him as the type of person that's going to back down from his position or change his style.

It's interesting that Colorado would hire him in the first place if his convictions, communication style, and delivery are incompatible with the university.

Say what you want about Sanders, I don't really see him as the type of person that's going to back down from his position or change his style.

It's interesting that Colorado would hire him in the first place if his convictions, communication style, and delivery are incompatible with the university.
Likely different factions in play at Colorado. Athletic department vs. woke liberal and/or libertarian professors.

The Freedom from Religion Foundation sent the University of Colorado a letter on Jan. 24 about Sanders’ references to Christianity and claimed they were contacted by residents who were concerned players were potentially being pressured to pray during their team meetings.
….

We write to correct the Freedom from Religion Foundation’s (FFRF’s) misstatements regarding the requirements imposed by the First Amendment on public school employees’ religious expression," the letter from First Liberty Institute read. "The Supreme Court has repeatedly held that public school employees may engage in religious expression and exercise; therefore, public universities like CU may not target Coach Sanders (or other members of the football staff) for exercising constitutional rights on campus."

The Supreme Court rules in favor of a Washington state high school football coach who prayed with his team after games. The court determined the school violated the coach’s First Amendment rights for trying to stop his prayers.
….
My take: Anti-religious group wants some attention.

The Freedom from Religion Foundation sent the University of Colorado a letter on Jan. 24 about Sanders’ references to Christianity and claimed they were contacted by residents who were concerned players were potentially being pressured to pray during their team meetings.
….

We write to correct the Freedom from Religion Foundation’s (FFRF’s) misstatements regarding the requirements imposed by the First Amendment on public school employees’ religious expression," the letter from First Liberty Institute read. "The Supreme Court has repeatedly held that public school employees may engage in religious expression and exercise; therefore, public universities like CU may not target Coach Sanders (or other members of the football staff) for exercising constitutional rights on campus."

The Supreme Court rules in favor of a Washington state high school football coach who prayed with his team after games. The court determined the school violated the coach’s First Amendment rights for trying to stop his prayers.
….
My take: Anti-religious group wants some attention.
I don't know the details of how Deion is handling this. My own personal view is that it is fine as long as participation is totally voluntary for any preaching/praying sessions and that no one is punished or disadvantaged if they'd rather not participate.

Pretty sure Deion is either going to knock it out of the park or blow up spectacularly. Not much middle ground. I'm hoping for the latter simply for the memes and laughing at Colorado fans. But I'm not really sure how it's going to turn out so I'll refrain from a prediction... it should be entertaining either way

Last edited:
SIAP but Deion's strong religious beliefs and preaching to the players are creating controversy at Colorado. With kickoff to the 2023 Buffaloes season just months away, Sanders is in the middle between two religious groups. One group that wants Colorado to force him to stop preaching his religious beliefs to his players while another one warned the university that telling him to do so could infringe on his rights.

Not the first time Deion has been controversial over religion. Sanders was known for expressing his strong belief in God when it came to his coaching style at Jackson State. When he left the Tigers for the Colorado gig, he was mocked for having had earlier proclaimed that God sent him to become the coach of Jackson State but then he left the job anyway for more money and a bigger stage.
lol somehow Ron Brown has remained a fixture for the last 20+ years... could give Deion some pointers on how to 'have his cake and eat it too'...

Reactions: solarpanels
Colorado probably doesn't care too much about Coach Prime's religious beliefs, as long as he can make Colorado relevant in football again.

Reactions: jsachisler
lol somehow Ron Brown has remained a fixture for the last 20+ years... could give Deion some pointers on how to 'have his cake and eat it too'...
Well, there's been some controversy around Ron Brown at times as well. But today I think the big difference is that Ron Brown is not a coach and never was a head coach at Nebraska.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Well, there's been some controversy around Ron Brown at times as well. But today I think the big difference is that Ron Brown is not a coach and never was a head coach at Nebraska.
…and Ron is better suited for a role Not Coaching because of this. Agree…

There is a reason Trev asked Mickey to do it and not Ron. And Mickey kicked the crap out of his wife

…and Ron is better suited for a role Not Coaching because of this. Agree…
pff.

Anyway these cry babies do not have any legal ground or any sound argument at all. There is no such thing as freedom “from” religion. Enshrined in our Constitutio is the freedom to exercise our religion, which means to live it out in the world. There is nothing and never has been anything saying the Constitution only reserves your right to “pick” your religion and then you must keep it in church for an hour a Week.

unfortunaltely the education system, including colleges run by activist professors like the brainwashing libs at colorado, teaches kids the opposite of the truth. I bet more people in America, substantially more, think “separation of church and state” is in our constitution than know the “free exercise” clause.
(never mind that they also get the context of “separation between church and state literally backwards, oh the irony)

The only legal standing is if prime is forcing kids to agree with him or forcing them to worship according to his views. He has all the freedom in the world to share, and if players dont like it they have the freedom to not sign on to play for a christian. My guess is they dont care, and likely even agree, and thats exactly why the karens are trying to silence him because they know they cant win in the realm of ideas or debate.

pff.

Anyway these cry babies do not have any legal ground or any sound argument at all. There is no such thing as freedom “from” religion. Enshrined in our Constitutio is the freedom to exercise our religion, which means to live it out in the world. There is nothing and never has been anything saying the Constitution only reserves your right to “pick” your religion and then you must keep it in church for an hour a Week.

unfortunaltely the education system, including colleges run by activist professors like the brainwashing libs at colorado, teaches kids the opposite of the truth. I bet more people in America, substantially more, think “separation of church and state” is in our constitution than know the “free exercise” clause.
(never mind that they also get the context of “separation between church and state literally backwards, oh the irony)

The only legal standing is if prime is forcing kids to agree with him or forcing them to worship according to his views. He has all the freedom in the world to share, and if players dont like it they have the freedom to not sign on to play for a christian. My guess is they dont care, and likely even agree, and thats exactly why the karens are trying to silence him because they know they cant win in the realm of ideas or debate.
Brown/Deion and all of the other religious crusaders can opine to their hearts’ content, I just think it’s no different than public school teachers and administrators injecting their activist ideals into the minds of students… don’t think either really has any place in a public university. They can espouse their personal beliefs all they want, they just need to understand they’re gonna alienate a lot of people.

Do you think teachers guilty of injecting activist politics should be fire-able for it?

Brown/Deion and all of the other religious crusaders can opine to their hearts’ content, I just think it’s no different than public school teachers and administrators injecting their activist ideals into the minds of students… don’t think either really has any place in a public university. They can espouse their personal beliefs all they want, they just need to understand they’re gonna alienate a lot of people.

Do you think teachers guilty of injecting activist politics should be fire-able for it?

I can hear your tears splashing in your skinny mocha latte. Find a safe space.
‘Safe spaces’ are for emotionally weak Gen-Z failures. Just wish in general people would shut up and do their jobs without injecting their personal opinions. No one would need ‘safe spaces’ that way…

‘Safe spaces’ are for emotionally weak Gen-Z failures. Just wish in general people would shut up and do their jobs without injecting their personal opinions. No one would need ‘safe spaces’ that way…
So, fashion society to cater to the emotionally weak? Sounds freaking awful. But, you'd be luv'n it!

I see all of these posts saying how glad people on this board are that Brown isn't coaching. I'm gonna give a little history lesson, on the matter. Those teams under Osborne starting in the late 70s until he retired had some of the the most potent ground game in CFB history but got better when Brown came on board in 1987, sure everyone wants to give all of the credit to DONU's OL's for the success in the running game especially those 90s squads and yes, those OL's were the greatest in CFB history but it wasn't only them that were responsible for that ground game as the other part of it were Brown's receivers as they themselves were the best blocking and hardest hitting in all of CFB. I would just marvel at how they would destroy DBs jammming the edges as well as many times I would see them leveling LB's accross the middle. For the people that say Brown sucks and very glad he's not coaching are prolly youngin's that weren't even alive or very young when he coached under Coach Oz need to brush up. Even today, there isn't a ground game out there to rival Osborne's and not even close.

I see all of these posts saying how glad people on this board are that Brown isn't coaching. I'm gonna give a little history lesson, on the matter. Those teams under Osborne starting in the late 70s until he retired had some of the the most potent ground game in CFB history but got better when Brown came on board in 1987, sure everyone wants to give all of the credit to DONU's OL's for the success in the running game especially those 90s squads and yes, those OL's were the greatest in CFB history but it wasn't only them that were responsible for that ground game as the other part of it were Brown's receivers as they themselves were the best blocking and hardest hitting in all of CFB. I would just marvel at how they would destroy DBs jammming the edges as well as many times I would see them leveling LB's accross the middle. For the people that say Brown sucks and very glad he's not coaching are prolly youngin's that weren't even alive or very young when he coached under Coach Oz need to brush up. Even today, there isn't a ground game out there to rival Osborne's and not even close.
If brown was such a good coach why has his track record been so bad as of late? He helped Pelini and frost.

If brown was such a good coach why has his track record been so bad as of late? He helped Pelini and frost.
He never coached WR's under Under Pelini or Frost and was never retained under Callahan, he was the TE and RBs coach under him. His last stint as an active WR coach was under Solich.

Last edited:
So he coached mo Washington and jaylin Bradley?
While he was coaching WRs under Osborne and Solich he also did double duty as the TE's coach, so he coached 2 different positions at the same time and the TE's were also another piece of that vaunted ground game. Brown also coached TE's for Pelini from 2008-2011 and from that point RB's.

The only time he coached for Frost was when Frost cleaned house of his assitants back in 2021 and filled the roll of RB coach. Mo Washington was coached by Held, and Bradley who played under Riley and Frost was coached by Reggie Davis and Held.

https://huskers.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/ron-brown/1986

Last edited:
Reactions: jsachisler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT