ADVERTISEMENT

Funny little Big 12 dreamers. Living in KC, I of course listen to the local

Wintereisse

Blackshirt
Dec 2, 2002
sports radio stations during my drive time. They are discussing which former teams want back in the Big 12. According to them NU is at the top of the list.

sports radio stations during my drive time. They are discussing which former teams want back in the Big 12. According to them NU is at the top of the list.

When I heard Synder say that in the B12 media days, I thought, 'who would want to go back?'

Maybe Colorado? A&M might miss playing Texas schools???? Feels like they are grasping at straws.

I miss the rivalries, but the financial position we are in now is a no brainer.

It really is stunning to me how out of touch they are on this one regarding us. We have heard for the last several years that we want back in the Big 12-without any evidence that is true. It is their own arrogance that makes them think that.

Apples to apples, I would prefer being in the B12 vs. the B1G every day and twice on Sundays. But the economics don't accommodate apples to apples. Financially the B1G makes much more sense. Competitively, we're a much better fit for the B12. Financials always win out.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
The old Big 12 was definitely better, but I always have to remember that CU Mizzou and aTm are also gone....all we really have left from the old Big 8 is KU, KSU, OU, OSU and ISU. The Texas teams can all go pack sand, never wanted them in the first place.

To this day, I could still watch a KU-OU football game and be fairly entertained, but I can't really watch Minnesota-Illinois or Purdue-Maryland...hard to watch.

I'd love to still be in the Big 12.....that is the Big 12 they way it could have been but never was.

I do feel bad for the fans of the schools who will likely get left out in the cold when conference consolidation finally comes, because odds are, a few of our former Big 8 pals will likely get left out in the cold, while the instigator institution that played part of the demise of the SWC, and was the major factor in the near complete demise of the Big 12 will come out of it just fine.

The only plus for rejoining the Big 12 would be from a logistics standpoint. It would be cheaper and take less time for travel for the teams/fans. However, as I fan I have to look at the bigger picture.

Breakdown...

Academic Prestige and Research/Development Opportunities... Big 10
Conference Stability...Big 10
Logistics/Travel for Teams/Fans...Big 12
Conference Television Network...Big 10
Conference Payout...Big 10
Overall Working Relationship Between University Athletic Departments...Big 10
Leadership/Competent Conference Commissioner...Big 10

Living in the KC area, I would love/prefer to travel to Manhattan, Lawrence, and Ames to see the Huskers play football and volleyball. However, anyone that thinks Nebraska would truly benefit from leaving the Big 10 to go back to the chaotic mess and infighting in the Big 12 is not looking at all of the issues realistically and might be a little selfish. Winking

Do you run that radio station the OP mentioned?

610 and 810 AM are convinced that Nebraska is one of the 2 universities that would want to come back. They are so clueless and are just trying to prop up their ratings and get Husker fans riled up. However, I won't play their game and call in. An objective Big 12 fan would admit that the benefits Nebraska has gained by joining the Big 10 clearly outway any negatives. If the Big 12 was so concerned about Nebraska then Kansas, Kansas State, and Iowa State shouldn't have turned their back on Nebraska and jumped in bed with Texas back in 2010. Winking

I personally miss Nebraska...I am an old Big 8 guy & yes, I'm a K-State guy but you can't loose schools like Nebraska & TX A&M AND replace them with a Cincinnati & Memphis, are you freakin kidding me!!! So I take N back in a heartbeat!!!! I understand the hatred for Texas but you guys don't fit in the Big 10 in my opinion. I think the decision was based on resentment, spite & short-term thinking...you guys will always be second fiddle in the Big 10 to Ohio State & Michigan in football! I think other teams in the Big 12 are getting tired of Texas' BS...where is Texas going to go??? Expansion was an unamious decision...so I'm hoping Snyder's comments have some traction & two of the former schools do come back...and I HOPE one of those schools is Nebraska, probably just wishful thinking on my part!

Wishful thinking on your part, There is zero chance we rejoin the Big 12.

This article here has it right-Bill Snyder says there are two schools that want back in. Colorado kind of makes sense. The only way Nebraska gets back in is when Bill Snyder becomes president of the University of Nebraska. Otherwise there is no way we are giving up Big Ten money.
http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...2/big-12-expansion-candidates-colorado-whaaat

I personally miss Nebraska...I am an old Big 8 guy & yes, I'm a K-State guy but you can't loose schools like Nebraska & TX A&M AND replace them with a Cincinnati & Memphis, are you freakin kidding me!!! So I take N back in a heartbeat!!!! I understand the hatred for Texas but you guys don't fit in the Big 10 in my opinion. I think the decision was based on resentment, spite & short-term thinking...you guys will always be second fiddle in the Big 10 to Ohio State & Michigan in football! I think other teams in the Big 12 are getting tired of Texas' BS...where is Texas going to go??? Expansion was an unamious decision...so I'm hoping Snyder's comments have some traction & two of the former schools do come back...and I HOPE one of those schools is Nebraska, probably just wishful thinking on my part!

The decision maybe was based partially on resentment but definitely not on short term thinking. Long term we are way better off in the B1G. I hate to see KSU, KU and ISU get left out in the cold but that's out of our control. We should and will stay in the B1G for quite a while. Plus, I kind of like the rivalry we are building with Iowa. I think this year our game will decide the west so that should make it a lot of fun.

The decision maybe was based partially on resentment but definitely not on short term thinking. Long term we are way better off in the B1G. I hate to see KSU, KU and ISU get left out in the cold but that's out of our control. We should and will stay in the B1G for quite a while. Plus, I kind of like the rivalry we are building with Iowa. I think this year our game will decide the west so that should make it a lot of fun.
Iowa State would be a natural to join the B1G. Maybe some of the demographics don't fit but geographically and culturally they're closer to the B1G than they are the Big12. I would love to see Iowa State in the B1G. That doesn't add many eyeballs to the TV market so it will probably never happen but they would be a good fit.

Saw some rumors about Nebraska and possibly wanting back in the Big XII (which sounded off-base to me). Come here and it seems like everyone is squashing that. Thank God.

I'm very proud to have Nebraska in the B1G and I think the feeling is pretty wide-spread. Went out to the Neb-PSU game in 2012 and have never been treated better.

What many B12 fans fail to grasp is that the money disparity is insane. Yes, that includes the B1G/BTN dollars coming, however, the money for the university and academic progress via the CIC is huge for Nebraska as well.

This was anything but a short-sighted decision. This was very much a long term athletic stability and academic advancement decision for UNL.

WillieK, I hope you do realize all those votes your school cast against us helped us leave. I haven't talk to one person who wants to go back to that old conference, especially since it will still likely implode at some point. The Longhorn network still exists. Your revenue shortfall is astounding. I can't imagine any power five school wants to join your impending disaster.

Those are nice thoughts and I miss traveling to Manhattan to watch Nebraska and K-State play.

Don't forget that Kansas, Kansas State, and Iowa State aligned with Texas against Nebraska in the Big 12 meetings in 2010. Those schools decided it was better to fall in line with Texas than to support Nebraska during those troubling times for the conference. In hindsight maybe some Big 12 schools would love to have Nebraska back given the weak choices the conference could add.

KU, KSU, ISU and the other original Big 8 schools need to look in the mirror and own up to their actions in 2010 which encouraged Nebraska, Texas A@M, Missouri, and Colorado to leave the conference. Winking

There are not enough lawyers in the world to draft all the necessary documents needed to make sure Texass wouldn't screw the whole conference up....again, IF, IF Nebraska wanted to ever return. Aint gonna happen. Not in my lifetime.

Reactions: nwualum
Those are nice thoughts and I miss traveling to Manhattan to watch Nebraska and K-State play.

Don't forget that Kansas, Kansas State, and Iowa State aligned with Texas against Nebraska in the Big 12 meetings in 2010. Those schools decided it was better to fall in line with Texas than to support Nebraska during those troubling times for the conference. In hindsight maybe some Big 12 schools would love to have Nebraska back given the weak choices the conference could add.

KU, KSU, ISU and the other original Big 8 schools need to look in the mirror and own up to their actions in 2010 which encouraged Nebraska, Texas A@M, Missouri, and Colorado to leave the conference. Winking

Amen to this. The little sisters of the Big 12 had their chance and didn't have the courage to stand up to the Longhorns. They rather enjoyed Nebraska getting pushed around by Texas but the last laugh was on the Big 12. It is in shambles with Baylor a dumpster fire.

610 and 810 AM are convinced that Nebraska is one of the 2 universities that would want to come back.
Ratings is the only explanation. Maybe they should listen to what Anwar Richardson of Orangebloods.com just said on Sharp & Benning this A.M. You know the same Orangebloods that Texas used to leak all their intentions to back in 2010 trying to influence the outcome.

Here are a few crib notes:
It's very hard for him to see Texas in the Big 12 after 3 years.
It benefits the Big 12 to have Texas more than it benefits Texas being in the Big 12.
Adding 2 more teams will make it easier for Texas to leave the Big 12.

Link: http://www.1620thezone.com/SharpandBenningPodcastPage.aspx

Ratings is the only explanation. Maybe they should listen to what Anwar Richardson of Orangebloods.com just said on Sharp & Benning this A.M. You know the same Orangebloods that Texas used to leak all their intentions to back in 2010 trying to influence the outcome.

Here are a few crib notes:
It's very hard for him to see Texas in the Big 12 after 3 years.
It benefits the Big 12 to have Texas more than it benefits Texas being in the Big 12.
Adding 2 more teams will make it easier for Texas to leave the Big 12.

Link: http://www.1620thezone.com/SharpandBenningPodcastPage.aspx
Where is Texas going to go?? Independant? Good luck!! They can't keep their LHN & go anywhere...I hate Teaxs the same like all of you do! I say call their bluff & let them go!!!!

Where is Texas going to go?? Independant? Good luck!! They can't keep their LHN & go anywhere...I hate Teaxs the same like all of you do! I say call their bluff & let them go!!!!

Texas leaving is tough because they would almost have to take a pay cut. Here's how some rough numbers look compared to the B1G:

- Big XII paid out about $23.3 million per school in 2014-15. Texas (starting in 2010) makes $11 million a year for 20 years from the Longhorn network.

- B1G dished out $32.4 million to its 11 longest-standing members in 2014 while Nebraska received $19.8 million, Maryland $24.1 million and Rutgers nearly $10.5 million for the 2015 fiscal year.

So Texas makes more money than any B1G team (approx $34.3 million vs $32.4 million). For the B1G to convince them to join, there would have to be a substantial revenue increase for Texas which just doesn't seem like it's in the cards. Not sure how the new B1G tv deals will affect the number (obviously it'll be higher than $32.4 million), but how much higher? Then obviously the elephant in the room of the LHN and what happens with that.

Texas is attractive, but has a ton of baggage too

If Texas or even if Oklahoma leaves..,the "Big 12" implodes and K-State may not find a landing place in a Power 5 Conference. Do you really want to take that chance? That would have a huge impact on the city of Manhattan. Be very careful what you wish for.

Last edited:
Every now and again it seems Big12 fans try to convince themselves of this so they don't have to acknowledge that they are on a sinking ship of a conference. Either Bill Snyder is getting senile or more likely is trying to calm the waters in Manhattan best he can. "I don't think anyone could be in a better situation than the teams in our conference." is laughable. Even the biggest KSU supporters know they are at the wims of OU/UT and just one of those teams leaving would put them in the Mountain West Conference. Besides, other than UT there isn't a team in the Big12 that wouldn't trade places with us in a heartbeat. Nebraska isn't going back. Neither is Mizz, CU or A&M.

Last edited:
They are scared to death that their football programs will be left on an island. The departures of NU and others have left a void that cannot be filled.

They are scared to death that their football programs will be left on an island. The departures of NU and others have left a void that cannot be filled.

They are finally beginning to realize that they caused their own mess back in 2010 and what the future might hold because of their actions.

The Big 12 is looking at Houston and BYU. I'm not saying they are bad programs, but this is a conference that is definitely scrambling and between these two programs, TCU and West Virginia, I see a conference that is totally confused and losing credibility. No chance should Nebraska touch this mess with a 10 foot pole.

This is absurd. Four Big 12 schools voted against revenue sharing in that era. Nebraska, Texas, Texas A&M, and OU. Those four schools were aligned against the rest of the league.

The Big 12 is looking at Houston and BYU. I'm not saying they are bad programs, but this is a conference that is definitely scrambling and between these two programs, TCU and West Virginia, I see a conference that is totally confused and losing credibility. No chance should Nebraska touch this mess with a 10 foot pole.

I have absolutely no idea what point this was supposed to make.
I'm guessing the point is to go on an opposing team's board and post bad losses... Let's see how much good will that builds for this guy.

I'm guessing it happens so often on his own board that he assumes it happens everywhere. Bad losses happen to every program. However, bad programs accrue bad losses exponentially... See Iowa State.

This is absurd. Four Big 12 schools voted against revenue sharing in that era. Nebraska, Texas, Texas A&M, and OU. Those four schools were aligned against the rest of the league.

You do understand that Nebraska left for a conference that shares revenue equally once they become vested members. Nebraska won't begin to receive an "equal" share until July 2017. Didn't Colorado, Missouri, Nebraska, and Texas A@M leave the Big 12 for conferences that are much more equitable with revenue sharing? Academic prestige especially for Nebraska, conference stability, and membership unity were extremely important to these universities and you know it. The four schools that left would not follow in the footsteps of Texas...plain and simple.

There isn't equal revenue sharing in the Big 12 at this time. Each school can make additional money based on their Tier 3 rights and of course the infamous Longhorn Network trumps anything at the other Big 12 schools. The Longhorn Network continues to be an issue that could cripple the very existence of the Big 12 so your revenue argument is ludicrous.

Last edited:
Also remember at the time that Nebraska was playing good out of conference teams, and teams like Iowa State were scheduling mostly crap and expecting the same revenue. Not going to happen.

Next year Nebraska will receive $50 MILLION just from the B1G Network. That's just from the conference network. Big 12 is dead, they just don't know it yet. I'm not hurt 1 ounce by leaving big 12, more hurt by big 8 accepting the big 12.

Was it Keitzman??? It had to have been. I stopped listening to KC sports radio about 2 years ago. I just can't do it. Especially Keitzman. He's has an NU hate boner for years. He knows the minute old man Snyder leaves, KSU is toast and when the Power 5 goes to the Power 4, KSU most likely doesn't have a seat at the table. That next TV contract that guarantees us nearly double what Big 12 teams are making, guarantees we're never going back. Screw 'em. I'll drink a toast to the day the Big 12 dies nd I can look at my KU and KSU friends and say, " You made your bed...."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT