ADVERTISEMENT

Frost says NU never had top 10 classes when he was there:

Already making excuses for media. Looks like Frosty is in over his head. According to this, Osborne was easily top 10 in 1995 and 1996...

http://a.espncdn.com/ncf/s/2002/0205/1323082.html

It's easy for Frosty to lie to little UCF media. Won't be that easy at Nebraska.
So if you don't like frost or NU why are you waisting your time on a Nebraska board. My suggestion is get out of grandmas basement throw away you game boy or what ever the new system is and go to Walmart and become a cart retriver

Reactions: elvis1403
Nebraska rarely had Top 10 classes back in the day. Mostly because local kids weren't well known, and thus dragged the rankings down compared to schools heavy with big-city kids. Plus, there was bias for schools like Notre Dame, who somehow managed to sign #1 classes every yet but still suck.

With that said, there is a myth among Nebraska fans that "stars don't matter," because Nebraska never signed top rated recruits. Total baloney. If you look, most of our recruits were all-state selections in their respective states, with plenty of players of the year included. Guys like Frazier and Phillips were top rated recruits. Nebraska even had the #1 rated class one year in the 80's (too lazy to look it up). So Nebraska was very competitive nationally in recruiting.

Not sure what Frost was saying, but I think it is fair to say Nebraska is not going to beat out teams from Florida, Texas, and California for the five-star recruits coming from those states. Nebraska needs to build a solid core from the 300 mile radius, and grab the stars when they can get them. Not my decision, but I would hit the JUCO's hard, because Nebraska is at a disadvantage compared to the population centers.

Perhaps frost was saying his class was not top 10 but they won a national title..... hmmm could that be?

Reactions: Digger6185
We had some very good recruiting classes back then, but it's more about getting the right guys for your system. I remember one game in 1997 where 9 of our 11 offensive starters were from Nebraska, including our entire backfield. None of them probably would have started for Tennessee, but in our system, they ran all over the Vols in the Orange Bowl.

I have a theory that basically for most schools about 95% of their players are somewhat interchangeable. Obviously this doesn't apply to the Ohio States and Alabamas of the world. The difference for the rest of the teams is that once in awhile you get lucky and hit on a superstar that makes the rest of the team exponentially better. We haven't had a player like that in a long time, probably Suh was the last. We really need a couple difference makers.

We had some very good recruiting classes back then, but it's more about getting the right guys for your system. I remember one game in 1997 where 9 of our 11 offensive starters were from Nebraska, including our entire backfield. None of them probably would have started for Tennessee, but in our system, they ran all over the Vols in the Orange Bowl.

I thought for sure that at least one game that year, every starter on offense was from Nebraska. I might be mistaken, but I thought for sure that all 11 were from NE.

Already making excuses for media. Looks like Frosty is in over his head. According to this, Osborne was easily top 10 in 1995 and 1996...

It's easy for Frosty to lie to little UCF media. Won't be that easy at Nebraska.
will3.gif

Reactions: ThrowBones92
When Lance Brown was in the game instead of Shevin Wiggins there were 9 of 11 starters from Nebraska. Two offensive lineman were not Nebraskans.

Correct - Aaron Taylor and Josh Heskew started every game on the line that year.

Jeff Lake from Columbus started most games at Split End, alongside Lance Brown from Papio.

Last edited:
I thought for sure that at least one game that year, every starter on offense was from Nebraska. I might be mistaken, but I thought for sure that all 11 were from NE.

That could be true... TO would list two starters at some positions like TE or WR depending on if we wanted a passing option or a running option. I know TE Sheldon Jackson was from California

EDIT - stand corrected.. see above with Taylor and Heskew.

You could have assembled such a lineup, but the starters were not all NE guys. Maybe you're thinking of the backfield, which was Frost, Joel Mackovicka, Ahman Green.

Amazing your athletic director offered an extension a month ago to a liar like SF. You guys might want to check on that.

Also might want to ask your AD if, in fact, he got turned down here in favor of Moos. Even though he would have had to relocate from paradise to a frozen wasteland. You’ll get a lawyer-like answer if you do.

Last edited:
You could have assembled such a lineup, but the starters were not all NE guys. Maybe you're thinking of the backfield, which was Frost, Joel Mackovicka, Ahman Green.

I think it must have been when we had a couple OLinemen banged up when we had all 11 on the field being from Nebraska. Or maybe a couple of backups were in.

What if I told you it took more than one recruiting class to put together those teams?
Also, I'm not sure how much influence that '92 class had on the Huskers winning the 1994 title. I'm not saying they didn't but that means you're playing lot of redshirt freshmen or true sophs for the '94 championship. Given how deep the team was, I doubt they had that much of an on-field impact in winning the '94 championship. And, if they were good enough to play as a true sophomore and actually contributed in the 94 title game, were they still around in 1997? I get my years screwed up with which year the bowl game is played in, but if they played as true freshmen, they would not have had eligibility left in 1997, right?

Also, I'm not sure how much influence that '92 class had on the Huskers winning the 1994 title. I'm not saying they didn't but that means you're playing lot of redshirt freshmen or true sophs for the '94 championship. Given how deep the team was, I doubt they had that much of an on-field impact in winning the '94 championship. And, if they were good enough to play as a true sophomore and actually contributed in the 94 title game, were they still around in 1997? I get my years screwed up with which year the bowl game is played in, but if they played as true freshmen, they would not have had eligibility left in 1997, right?
In most cases you'd be looking at:

1992 - RS
93 - RS-Fr
94 - So
95 - Jr
96 - Sr

If they had played as a true freshman in 92 and not gotten any sort of RS or hardship later on then yes, they would have used up their eligibility in 95. Not many underclassmen were getting big PT in those days.

It's tricky business to go back on the old classes, there weren't a lot of guys evaluating and in those days you had to either be there at camps or get a VHS of the kid. Can you imagine how many kids didn't get seen because nobody around them knew how to edit a video tape or had access to the equipment to do it?

I remember buying a Lindy's preview magazine before the 1996 season. They used one of the major recruiting services in their recruiting section. They had Nebraska's recruiting class ranked sixth. I'm fairly certain the 1997 class was also top ten. I don't remember the class ranking for 1995, but Ahman Green was the number three overall player in the country after Josh Booty and Kevin Faulk.

Reactions: SC_'sker

We did. But recruiting wasn’t really a big thing back then. So not like he has a database at his fingertips to look all this up without digging a bit. Frost wants top 15 classes roughly. Thinks that is easily attainable. I do too. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect a top 15 class yearly with such a young energetic staff. We have seen what they can do in three weeks. No doubt they can do what is necessary to get top 15 classes with a four year.

Nebraska rarely had Top 10 classes back in the day. Mostly because local kids weren't well known, and thus dragged the rankings down compared to schools heavy with big-city kids. Plus, there was bias for schools like Notre Dame, who somehow managed to sign #1 classes every yet but still suck.

With that said, there is a myth among Nebraska fans that "stars don't matter," because Nebraska never signed top rated recruits. Total baloney. If you look, most of our recruits were all-state selections in their respective states, with plenty of players of the year included. Guys like Frazier and Phillips were top rated recruits. Nebraska even had the #1 rated class one year in the 80's (too lazy to look it up). So Nebraska was very competitive nationally in recruiting.

Not sure what Frost was saying, but I think it is fair to say Nebraska is not going to beat out teams from Florida, Texas, and California for the five-star recruits coming from those states. Nebraska needs to build a solid core from the 300 mile radius, and grab the stars when they can get them. Not my decision, but I would hit the JUCO's hard, because Nebraska is at a disadvantage compared to the population centers.
Good imput. However I am very much for HC Frost to continue to follow his plan.

I use to get the recruiting phamplets from the 1980s and still have some NU was generally between 7th and 18th, lets say ave about 11-12th, our best year was with Broderick Thomas , Leroy Etieene and I believe Mickey Joseph who was a top 5 national player, that class was top 3, NU averaged about 1 top 100 player a years but did get alot of quality players just not top end loaded.

I also have the old BIG 8 magazines for the 1973 season on and OU almost always out recruited us, but we did seem to always have 2nd best class.

Then there is the homegrown factor to where TO believed and it certainly did play out the small town nebraska players were underated.

Also 1 or 2 walk on per class would be all conference level, prolly the equal after the fact of a 4 star player.

The years in the 90s where they were 7th and 8th ranked was after national champs and I think higher than the norm.

How do you know that? Can you show proof? The '92 class was ranked #28 and that group went on to win 3 championships.

FWIW...The 91 class was ranked 28th by Allen Wallace, the publisher of Super Preps....The 92 class was ranked 14th by Wallace, 10th by Tom Lemming, and 5th by Max Emfinger...Not sure were Bobby Burton (National Recruiting Advisor) had the 92 class ranked...

Nebraska's class in 1985 was ranked #1 by Emfinger, the 1987 class ranked #6, and the 1995 class ranked #11 by the National Recruiting Advisor. Those are the only class rankings I know from that era. Check out the 1992 class. Fans would go nuts these days if Nebraska signed NINE in-state guys, in a class of 23. Then again, when is the last time high schools in the state cranked out NINE players worthy of a scholarship offer?

Name, Position
Ht., Wt., Speed School Comments
Larry Arnold, LB 6'4", 215, 4.6 Copley, OH All-State Honorable Mention in OH
Damon Benning, RB 5'11", 187, 4.5 Omaha, NE (Northwest) All State in NE
Willis Brown, RB 5'9", 165, 4.4 Edmond, OK All-State Honorable Menion in OK
Clinton Childs, RB 6'0", 195, 4.5 Omaha, NE (North) 2x All-State in NE
Chris Dishman, OL 6'4", 275, 5.1 Cozad, NE 2x All-State in NE
Tommie Frazier, QB 6'0", 190, 4.5 Bradenton, FL (Manatee) All State, All American, Prep Star AA
Jon Hesse, LB 6'4", 205, 4.72 Lincoln, NE (Southeast) All State, Academic All-State in NE
Mike Minter, RB/S 5'10", 175, 4.5 Lawton, OK All-State in OK
Ed Morrow, LB 6'4", 225, 4.65 Florissant, MO (McCluer) Conference MVP, Team Captain
Kareem Moss, CB 6'5", 200, 4.5 Garden City, KS CC All-State in High School
Jeff Ogard, OT 6'6", 275, 5.0 St. Paul, NE 2x All State Class B
Ben Rutz, QB 6'0", 185, 4.7 Oklahoma City, OK (Putnam W.) All-State in OK, Who's Who
Scott Saltsman, NG 6'2", 260, 4.9 Wichita Falls, TX (Rider) 2x All-District, Defensive POY
T. J. Scribner, TE 6'3", 215, 4.7 Omaha, NE (Brownwell-Talbot) 2x All-State, NE POY
Marvin Sims, RB 5'8", 185, 4.5 Apple Valley, MN Parade All-American, 2x All-State
Jim Stiebel, OG 6'4", 240, 4.85 Belleville, IL (Althoff Catholic) AA Super Prep, USA Today 2nd team
Eric Stokes, CB 5'10", 177, 4.5 Lincoln, NE (East) 2nd Team All-State, 2x All-City
Ryan Terwilliger, LB 6'5", 205, 4.6 Grant, NE Super State, National Honor Society
Larry Townsend, DT 6'5", 270, 4.8 San Jose, CA (Yerba Buena) 2x All-State, West Coast POY
Leonard Washington, NG 6'3", 270, 4.9 Omaha, NE (North) All-State, Gatorade POY in NE
Riley Washington, DB 5'10", 162, 4.45 San Diego, CA (Southwest) All-Academic in San Diego
Tyrone Williams, CB 6'0", 190, 4.5 Palmetto, FL (Manatee) All-State in FL
Toby Wright, S 6'0", 180, 4.5 Phoenix, AZ CC JUCO All-American

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT