ADVERTISEMENT

From total control to complete meltdown in 6 minutes

Red_Symptoms

Redshirt Freshman
Oct 30, 2016
Our defense was in total control; they had almost zero yards for the 2nd half and are punting to us with 6 minutes to go.

Instead grinding for a few first downs and a clinching score or running out the clock we play scared and triggered a mind boggling series of mistakes that led to one of the biggest meltdowns that I've witnessed in Husker football.

No excuse to not win that game. There was no way their offense was going to drive and score on us.

I'm in shock right now.

Our defense was in total control; they had almost zero yards for the 2nd half and are punting to us with 6 minutes to go.

Instead grinding for a few first downs and a clinching score or running out the clock we play scared and triggered a mind boggling series of mistakes that led to one of the biggest meltdowns that I've witnessed in Husker football.

No excuse to not win that game. There was no way their offense was going to drive and score on us.

I'm in shock right now.
You just can't make this shit up. We had complete control.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
We went conservative (play not to lose) on the series that lead to the punt return for TD. Then we opted to let the clock run out in the end of the 4th instead of trying to go downfield to get within FG range. We did everything we could to lose this game.
and went pass happy in OT when you know AM is a turnover machine.

Reactions: GammaxuvirHusker
I hold my breath whenever our special teams are out there. F-ing scary.

that's football....crazy stuff happens. boys played hard today, couple tweaks on spacial teams and this could turn out to be a nice season. gbr

Reactions: Phdoggy
Have the ball, up seven, with four minutes to play. Just need three first downs and the game is over. Still find a away to choke.

I'm in shock right now.
‘Frost’ shock is a special kind of shock. I feel terrible for the players. They deserve so much more than this. Frost is George Costanza—he should do the opposite of what he thinks he should do.

‘Frost’ shock is a special kind of shock. I feel terrible for the players. They deserve so much more than this. Frost is George Costanza—he should do the opposite of what he thinks he should do.
Maybe next year his new pickup line will be: “I’m Scott. I’m unemployed and live with my Mom.”

Do the opposite- great Seinfeld reference. Our ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory IS high comedy.

The Frost coached team motto

snatch defeat from the jaws of victory​

To fail, lose, or be defeated despite the appearance that one would be victorious, especially due to a mistake, error, or poor judgment.

We had a WIDE open WR in the endzone on the middle of the field on that first play of OT. Sigh.
I am not saying we are good at passing. I am just saying it is our least bad option. We have no running game whatsoever aside from our qb running on broken plays.

I am not saying we are good at passing. I am just saying it is our least bad option. We have no running game whatsoever aside from our qb running on broken plays.
We absolutely stuffed MSU's run game but they kept pounding it drawing us up and then it opened up their play action passing game to get wide open WRs. Overall I was OK with how we at least tried to stick to the run. Why we abandoned it in the redzone on one drive ending in a field goal and also in OT is beyond me. We walked in to the endzone on 2 different plays earlier in the game running the ball.

I think we had to because our offensive line and running game are nonexistent.
That is the key right there. Obviously we can't break the long runs but even more concerning is we can't run plays with doubles and designed to get enough push for 3-4 yards, even with a running QB.

We went conservative (play not to lose) on the series that lead to the punt return for TD. Then we opted to let the clock run out in the end of the 4th instead of trying to go downfield to get within FG range. We did everything we could to lose this game.
I agree with running the ball there even if it didn't net a first down. You take several minutes off the clock and then you punt. Your defense if playing great so that strategy checks all the boxes. The problem started with who you are punting to. Reed had already one big return and he's one of the best kick returners in college football. You kick it where he doesn't touch it. You communicate that to the punter. Either out of bounds or the other side of the field.
Ok, you screwed up and they just scored. You got the ball back with 30 seconds and 2 timeouts. You only need a field goal to win. Throw quickly to the sidelines. Try to get at least to midfield where you can do no worse than a Hail Mary. No instead you let your QB scramble and waste 10 seconds, throw once to the sideline, then decide to sit on the ball.
Alright fine. OT. You have tall receivers and they have short, speedy receivers on a short field. Advantage NU. Just don't get sacked. Stay at least in field goal range. If it's 3rd and long just run to the middle of the field. To set up a FG. Nope, third and long INT.
Now they have the ball and a great kicker. They aren't going to get cute. They'll just run the ball here. They do that and win.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT