bigboxes

Nebraska Legend
Sep 4, 2004
Arlington, TX
Pepperoni and Italian sausage

oZfeNuP.jpg

uhOX5vH.jpg

FKhSLHt.jpg

I think there is a frozen food company that sells crustless pizza... I thought that was odd till now. HMMM
I once bought a totinos thing that was all but the crust. It was pretty much what you'd think, but the price was like 3x grabbing a pizza.

A little update since I last posted this. I finally purchased a pizza steel in November. So, it's been 6 months or so with me experimenting to get the perfect pizza. Every week I try some new variable to try to make a worthy pizza. It's been a fun ride!

Italian sausage, onion and yellow bell pepper
DsWVenz.jpg

5 cheese pizza
W53ZqFx.jpg

Ground beef and onions
1qD8sq2.jpg

Buffalo chicken and green onions
nLKedJE.jpg

Italian sausage and green pepper
F5Ah8sF.jpg

My first white sauce pizza. Bechamel, bacon and mushrooms. Drizzled with truffle oil.
jtW9MTE.jpg

Hand-sliced pepperoni (the cupping kind!)
slbF4eu.jpg

Mini San Marzano tomatoes, baby bella mushrooms, red onion, green pepper, black olives, (my own) tomato sauce, garlic powder, parmesan and asiago, low moisture whole milk mozzarella and provolone
XcjWlxF.jpg

Hand-sliced andouille sausage, Italian sausage, pepperoni, green pepper, red onion, baby bella mushrooms, black olives.
lohrLIm.jpg

hKjuenf.jpg

Mediterranean pizza: Pesto, olive oil, chicken breast, artichoke hearts, roasted red pepper, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, feta cheese.
2d3CAWJ.jpg

Pepperoni and ground beef
2PUmHdV.jpg

Italian sausage and green pepper
EACUNxM.jpg

Genoa salami, red onion
nAdffs0.jpg

Sweet Italian sausage and green pepper
3m1k95n.jpg

AcLm04m.jpg

Spring game pizza! Pepperoni, Italian sausage, pecan smoked sausage
Up4nGA9.jpg

Hawaiian pizza! Canadian bacon and fresh cut pineapple.
8B4Doh4.jpg

Hand-sliced pepperoni, sauteed baby bella mushrooms, (my own) tomato sauce, garlic powder, oregano, fresh mozzarella.
u3l5KOU.jpg

Last edited:
A little update since I last posted this. I finally purchased a pizza steel in November. So, it's been 6 months or so with me experimenting to get the perfect pizza. Every week I try some new variable to try to make a worthy pizza. It's been a fun ride!

Some of those look pretty great. What are you cooking in? I'm adding a pizza oven to my outdoor kitchen

Reactions: bigboxes
Just my apartment oven. I have 16x16 3/8" pizza steel. A pizza oven would be cool.
Nice work, Big. What are you using for dough?

Get some homemade sourdough going. Freeze a bunch of dough balls in advance. Takes it to the next level.

Nice work, Big. What are you using for dough?

Get some homemade sourdough going. Freeze a bunch of dough balls in advance. Takes it to the next level.
I make my own dough. I make like four crusts and stick them in the freezer after dating the bags. I take one out at a time and let it thaw overnight. At some point between the time that it thaws out and the time that I use it I stretch and fold and reball it and put it back in the refrigerator. This process is called cold fermentation. I usually do 48-72 hours. Then it's just letting it sit for 2-3 hours on the counter top before stretching it to make the pie. I've got it down pretty good. The pizza was so good yesterday. Can you see the cross section pic? It's the last pic. It shows a big red x for that last image for me.

I make my own dough. I make like four crusts and stick them in the freezer after dating the bags. I take one out at a time and let it thaw overnight. At some point between the time that it thaws out and the time that I use it I stretch and fold and reball it and put it back in the refrigerator. This process is called cold fermentation. I usually do 48-72 hours. Then it's just letting it sit for 2-3 hours on the counter top before stretching it to make the pie. I've got it down pretty good. The pizza was so good yesterday. Can you see the cross section pic? It's the last pic. It shows a big red x for that last image for me.
Yes! Nice work, sir. See you next Friday! I'll bring the beer and wine...

• Love
Just my apartment oven. I have 16x16 3/8" pizza steel. A pizza oven would be cool.

That's really solid for a home oven. I've found mine doesn't seem to get quite hot enough to brown up the top side of the crust the way I really want it, hence the getting a real pizza oven.

Can you see the cross section pic? It's the last pic. It shows a big red x for that last image for me.

I see a red X too. But, that last pie (the one right before it) that I can see does look like some of your best work.

That's really solid for a home oven. I've found mine doesn't seem to get quite hot enough to brown up the top side of the crust the way I really want it, hence the getting a real pizza oven.

I see a red X too. But, that last pie (the one right before it) that I can see does look like some of your best work.
I heat the oven at 500F (max) for 30 minutes. Then high broil for 30 minutes. Then set back to bake at 500F. Launch Pizza and bake for six and a half minutes. Then two and a half minutes at high broil. I use the high broil to finish the top. I start rotating it every minute starting at minute number two. If you don't you're going to get it darker towards the back of the oven then you are the front of the oven where it's cooler.

• Wow
Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
I heat the oven at 500F (max) for 30 minutes. Then high broil for 30 minutes. Then set back to bake at 500F. Launch Pizza and bake for six and a half minutes. Then two and a half minutes at high broil. I use the high broil to finish the top. I start rotating it every minute starting at minute number two. If you don't you're going to get it darker towards the back of the oven then you are the front of the oven where it's cooler.

Yeah that’s more/less what I do too. Gets the kitchen pretty hot during the summer. And it’s kind of a beating.

You ever try a stone instead of steel?

I put pizza stones on the grill and turn it on high for an hour. Works WAY better (emulates a pizza oven) and gets much hotter than the oven.

I put pizza stones on the grill and turn it on high for an hour. Works WAY better (emulates a pizza oven) and gets much hotter than the oven.
I have a grill. But the pizza steel in the oven does make the crust crispy on the bottom and fluffy on the top. It would puff up more if I had a dedicated pizza oven.

Only way I can view the pictures is to reply to the post. Nice work!!

Here's some more. Trying to see if imjur will allow me to post these. I'm going to try three at a time.

Hand-sliced pepperoni, sauteed baby bella mushrooms, (my own) tomato sauce, garlic powder, oregano, fresh mozzarella. Fresh grated Parmesan on top!
Sp2nW7P.jpg

Pepperoni, fresh jalapeno and fresh cut pineapple.
m2mZcmw.jpg

Pepperoni, sweet Italian sausage, red onion, yellow onion, green pepper, baby bella mushrooms, black olives
wI8CVMd.jpg

Last edited:
Red onion, green pepper, baby bella mushrooms, black olives.
szBlg2S.jpg

Pepperoni and Italian sausage.
SeMzBHz.jpg

Baby back ribs pizza! Baby back ribs, onions, roasted jalapenos and Sweet Baby Ray's! nom nom nom
WS9UW9R.jpg

Last edited:
I use a Ninja Woodfire, gets to 700+ degrees and I make my "own" Neapolitan dough. Takes about 3 minutes to bake.

I don't make my own sauces anymore, it just doesn't turn out great for me.

Bag of Neapolitan 00 flour is 7 dollars, yeast is 1.50. For 10 dollars I can make 10-15 pizzas.

I have thought about doing one of these but you are not getting to 700+ degrees so I am not sure how great it is.

Pepperoni and roasted red pepper
C3NEAva.jpg

The following ones were from before I got the steel, but still worth sharing.

Cheeseburger pizza! Was sooooo good!
ipDwvqy.jpg

Pepperoni
ck0KqvR.jpg

Bacon and red onion (fresh grated Parmesan and butter on the crust
TYQf0j3.gif
)
TdwIQiP.jpg

l1LMO6d.jpg

Butter Chicken pizza! I used leftover butter chicken that I had made. (It was awesome!) I actually went to an Indian grocery store to source the ingredients. I used the butter chicken sauce as the base, butter chicken pieces, red onions, cilantro and light on mozzarella cheese.
BCgMHt9.jpg

I've found more! Here's a macaroni and cheese pizza made with pecan smoked sausage. I made the mac n cheese from scratch!
RkmqJ6C.jpg

Pulled pork pizza! Pulled (smoked) pork, red onions, caramelized onions, roasted jalapenos and Sweet Baby Ray's as the base. Freaking delicious!
91VBN7G.jpg

Chili pizza! Homemade chili as the base, cheddar cheese, pecan smoked sausage and green onions. Served it with Fritos on top!
YxSPgQr.jpg

3EkSJDA.jpg

Beef brisket pizza! Brisket, bacon, red onions, green pepper and Sweet Baby Ray's.
2kMWki3.jpg

Taco pizza! Ground beef, Monterey jack, fresh jalapenos. Served with lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro,sour cream and salsa on top!
7L6YghE.jpg

M0c4kdm.jpg

Last edited:
That's enough of the weird. I just like being creative once in a while. I think the mac n cheese pizza was a dare from a coworker. He also dared me to make a sushi pizza. I hate sushi. LOL

Reactions: huskerfan66
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT