ADVERTISEMENT

Football program in precarious position?...

I didn't "intentionally" include those who had a handful of players. I simply included everyone. Looking at the thread you can see that you and others have said that, unlike in other years, star rankings are more important than points. I simply put up where we are currently ranked in terms of star averages. I can't help what irritates you and can barely help what irritates me.

What I'm saying is that the post mentioning our class being the 17th best team conveyed less than a rudimentary understanding of the recruiting process. I'm just stating the facts here. That's why I took it as one of your intentionally obtuse posts, of which there have been many to choose from.

What I'm saying is that if you're not trolling, then you are woefully shy on knowledge of the recruiting process in general.

Reactions: dockentwo
Indeed.

That Tom and/or his wife spend a lot of time thinking about a very average coach who has spent over a decade at Ohio. Lest we forget that all this time has gone by without any interest from P5-caliber schools for his outstanding recruiting results!
Youre the one sounding childish right niw archie.

Hate to bring up frank again but he did recruit many of our best players over the years.
I just think its funny how fans can think up every excuse in the book for our current coach but have to bash our old coaches in what must be an attempt to prop up the current staff.
You really dont have to do that. Or do you?

Reactions: jeans15
I don't know anyone here who puts Riley/Eichorst on an infallible pedestal. Which posters do that?

elephant-595x270.jpg

Simple... went to rivals, looked at each year during Pelini's and Riley's tenure, and added up the final 2 weeks or so of recruits. If you disagree, prove me wrong. You claimed Pelini was a good closer. I showed here that he wasn't as good as you remember.

Edit: and by the way, the 3 2 star recruits Riley closed with happened his first year. He hasn't had a 2 star commit in the final 2 weeks since. And to be fair, Pelini had 4 his first year. That means 7 his final 6 years.
ok I come up with Riley getting 2 4 star in the two weeks leading up to signing day. One in 2016 and one in 2017.

I didn't do an about two week test cause I don't know what that is.

Year 1~3 for each coach was about the same.

ok I come up with Riley getting 2 4 star in the two weeks leading up to signing day. One in 2016 and one in 2017.

I didn't do an about two week test cause I don't know what that is.

Year 1~3 for each coach was about the same.
Sorry, I counted Stevenson, because it was after signing day, and Barnett, who was closer to 3 weeks than 2... my bad.

I do see that you conveniently ignored the 11 2 star recruits down the stretch for pelini. That's not closing well in anybody's book.

Sorry, I counted Stevenson, because it was after signing day, and Barnett, who was closer to 3 weeks than 2... my bad.

I do see that you conveniently ignored the 11 2 star recruits down the stretch for pelini. That's not closing well in anybody's book.
I am sure I mentioned Pelini check out and that

I came up with 10 but ok. the first year was about the same for both coaches Pelini taking 4. I mentioned early on Pelini checked out by his last class and there were 3. For the three other players Bondi was a 2 star kicker and Pelini took a couple of Nebraska kids.

I am sure I mentioned Pelini check out and that

I came up with 10 but ok. the first year was about the same for both coaches Pelini taking 4. I mentioned early on Pelini checked out by his last class and there were 3. For the three other players Bondi was a 2 star kicker and Pelini took a couple of Nebraska kids.
Fair enough. Looks like we are at an impasse. You seem to think pelini was a better recruiter (until he checked out) compared to Riley than I do.

Guess we will agree to disagree.

Edit: sorry, not necessarily better than Riley, didn't mean that... I simply meant you believe Pelini was fine as a recruiter, and Riley hasn't done a whole lot more than Pelini.

I don't mind mentioning Frank's success in his first few classes, but Tom needs to at least provide a link.

I just remember how Frank's recruiting is what ultimately led to his dismissal. Well...that, a kooky narcissist AD, and K-State bludgeoning us at home.
Telling the "kooky" AD to go F### himself when some suggestions were made didn't help Frank's job security. One thing SP knew and that was recruiting.

Thank you for the links. I guarantee that I will read them. Honestly, I was on this board back then, but did not remember Frank's recruiting being that good in his first 3 years. I was just going by the quick lookup that I could do on this site, and didn't put much time into it. The drastic change strikes me as peculiar though. Guys don't just become old overnight. Maybe it should tell us how fickle those are that are involved in the rankings.

Just for the record, despite Frank's difficulties in recruiting late in his regime, I didn't agree with his dismissal. They went 10-3 in 2003 and had just brought in Pelini to coach the defense. Yeah, we got rung up a couple times that year to some decent teams, but I don't believe Frank should have been fired.

The reason why I was critical of your previous message was because you intentionally acted as if a 2, 3, or 4 player recruiting class with a slightly higher star average than ours was better than our 11 player class with a slightly lower star average. Just so we are both in agreement that you were being intentionally obtuse just to irritate members on this board.

Those 3 were the only teams that I cited, but there were others that had a low number of commitments with a higher star average, which would indicate that our class is indeed better than the 17th best class in the ratings.
F
Thank you for the links. I guarantee that I will read them. Honestly, I was on this board back then, but did not remember Frank's recruiting being that good in his first 3 years. I was just going by the quick lookup that I could do on this site, and didn't put much time into it. The drastic change strikes me as peculiar though. Guys don't just become old overnight. Maybe it should tell us how fickle those are that are involved in the rankings.

Just for the record, despite Frank's difficulties in recruiting late in his regime, I didn't agree with his dismissal. They went 10-3 in 2003 and had just brought in Pelini to coach the defense. Yeah, we got rung up a couple times that year to some decent teams, but I don't believe Frank should have been fired.

The reason why I was critical of your previous message was because you intentionally acted as if a 2, 3, or 4 player recruiting class with a slightly higher star average than ours was better than our 11 player class with a slightly lower star average. Just so we are both in agreement that you were being intentionally obtuse just to irritate members on this board.

Those 3 were the only teams that I cited, but there were others that had a low number of commitments with a higher star average, which would indicate that our class is indeed better than the 17th best class in the ratings.
Frank's recruiting benefited tremendously from the Osborne legacy for his first few years. Once that National Championship buzz faded though and Frank was on his won, he was screwed.

Reactions: Hoosker Du
Fair enough. Looks like we are at an impasse. You seem to think pelini was a better recruiter (until he checked out) compared to Riley than I do.

Guess we will agree to disagree.

Edit: sorry, not necessarily better than Riley, didn't mean that... I simply meant you believe Pelini was fine as a recruiter, and Riley hasn't done a whole lot more than Pelini.
In their first three years they are essentially the same IMO. As to who is the better recruiter one on one it's hard to tell. One is drippy nice and the other mister hard ass. Heck I probably wouldn't respond well to either of them

Riliey has a lot more upside as he is comfortable turning over a significant portion of the evaluation to Devany and his crew. No way Bo would do that nor would a lot of other coaches.

As things stand the coaches have a ton of time to be up close and personal and unlimited travel. 2018 is shaping up nicely with a couple exceptions.

Telling the "kooky" AD to go F### himself when some suggestions were made didn't help Frank's job security. One thing SP knew and that was recruiting.

It still boggles the mind how Steve P. was such a good recruiter. I guess a narcissist can truly hide his defects. Wasn't he a part of Tennessee's #1 class in the 90s?

F

Frank's recruiting benefited tremendously from the Osborne legacy for his first few years. Once that National Championship buzz faded though and Frank was on his won, he was screwed.

True. Good point.

Wow...this fiction hasn't popped up in a long time! Post the picture...please please please please please

who did he ever recruit?

This excerpt from Wikipedia says he was recruiting coordinator at NU, OSU, and Tenn when they each had the #1 class...

"He began his career as a college football recruiting coordinator, assembling No. 1 ranked recruiting classes at Ohio State, Tennessee, and Nebraska. He has also worked with five College Football Hall of Fame football coaches."

I thought Tennessee's was in '94 or '95. Not sure when ours or OSU's occurred.

Nice, I get lambasted because somebody is crying that he wants links (as if my info was wrong). I post the links only to get lambasted because I spend too much time commenting on a former coach.

Don't care about your coversations with other posters. Your defense of Frank, however, was something I was interested in commenting on. So I did. Respond to me or don't. I don't care.

I've posted objectively about SE, MR, and his staff from day one. And there has certainly been critcisms. You can find some in this very thread.

Feel free to look up the definition of infallible.

If you or anyone else wants me to comment on something specific go right ahead and ask.

Last edited:
Don't care about your coversations with other posters. Your defense of Frank, however, was something I was interested in commenting on. So I did. Respond to me or don't. I don't care.
I'm not sure you understand how a conversation works. Hoosker asked me twice for links. The second time I obliged. Then you jumped in the fray because you didn't like what the links said. If they had said that Frank never broke the top 25 in recruiting and Riley is the best recruiter since Tom, I'm fairly certain there wouldn't have been a negative response.

P.S. Riley is who he is. The past doesn't have to be denigrated to make him look better. He has made some good strides. The issue that lays out ahead is whether or not they are championship strides...something we all want to see.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoosker Du
Wow...this fiction hasn't popped p in a long time! Post the picture...please please please please please
A family member was friends with Frank and his wife AND SP (ie booster of significance) when it all happened. A life long friend and booster of substance(to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars) confirmed it. I knew Frank was fired before Frank knew he was fired. You can choose to not believe it if you want. I don't really care. There is no way to prove it short of putting people on a witness stand.

Last edited:
I'm not sure you understand how a conversation works. Hoosker asked me twice for links. The second time I obliged. Then you jumped in the fray because you didn't like what the links said. If they had said that Frank never broke the top 25 in recruiting and Riley is the best recruiter since Tom, I'm fairly certain there wouldn't have been a negative response.

P.S. Riley is who he is. The past doesn't have to be denigrated to make him look better. He has made some good strides. The issue that lays out ahead is whether or not they are championship strides...something we all want to see.

Don't care about your conversation with him/her. I read the post with the links you gave. Fine by me. You documented some recruiting rankings. Frank left the program with absolute shit talent/depth. Among the worst in modern Nebraska football history. That is completely compatable with the links you provided.

If you want to talk about Riley we can. Up to you.

Don't care about your conversation with him/her. I read the post with the links you gave. Fine by me. You documented some recruiting rankings. Frank left the program with absolute shit talent/depth. Among the worst in modern Nebraska football history. That is completely compatable with the links you provided.

If you want to talk about Riley we can. Up to you.

What do you think are Riley's three biggest weaknesses?

You are in the know. This is what I heard from someone very much in the know at the time. Hoisting beers at frats can let your ego grow I guess.

What do you mean, exactly? Your question is kind of broad. Can you be more specific?

As a head coach, what are some things you think he needs to get better at? Could be any of the on the field stuff, roster management, managing of coaches, media relations, player development, etc...could be very specific, or not. Like I would guess that posters would put me on the pessimist side of things and in the wait and see crowd at the very least, but it's also easy for me to list what I think are Riley's strengths as a HC.

You need to keep in mind one of the key differences between Mike Riley and Blo Pelini. Mike Riley appears to be a humble man, that is grateful for the opportunity to be head coach at Nebraska. He truly appears to value our cache as a blue blood and wants to take advantage of what it offers. For all intents and purposes, he seems very happy to be our coach. Contrast that to Bo Pelini, where his thoughts of Nebraska are forever saved for posterity on tape.

When a guy isn't happy to be coaching at a blue blood, and is a whiney bitch, he puts himself in the position to make Youngstown, OH his place of employment, and we as fans are perfectly happy to see him packing the moving van. That's why you're going to catch a little flack for showing any support for a knuckle-dragging, spittling, pants-pissing jerkoff.

Reactions: SOHusker11
As a head coach, what are some things you think he needs to get better at? Could be any of the on the field stuff, roster management, managing of coaches, media relations, player development, etc...could be very specific, or not. Like I would guess that posters would put me on the pessimist side of things and in the wait and see crowd at the very least, but it's also easy for me to list what I think are Riley's strengths as a HC.
So, why don't you start out by listing those strengths?

So, why don't you start out by listing those strengths?

He uses every possible resource available for recruiting, and is all-in there. He represents the program with pure class. He's media savvy and well-respected amongst his peers. He'll sh!t-can coaches, even if they've been with him awhile, who aren't cutting their weight(at least guys who don't coach offense anyways), so I believe he understands the urgency of his position.

I'm sure I'm missing a few.

I don't think a HC has much to do with all the stuff you listed. He obviously had some time management issues in year one. We will see if that happens again. Beyond that, I'm thankful Billy Devaney is here. The man is super experienced and I presume he has given MR some very frank evaluations on some of his coaches, i.e., guys that he has moved on from. That's a good thing for Nebraska.

You need to keep in mind one of the key differences between Mike Riley and Blo Pelini. Mike Riley appears to be a humble man, that is grateful for the opportunity to be head coach at Nebraska. He truly appears to value our cache as a blue blood and wants to take advantage of what it offers. For all intents and purposes, he seems very happy to be our coach. Contrast that to Bo Pelini, where his thoughts of Nebraska are forever saved for posterity on tape.

When a guy isn't happy to be coaching at a blue blood, and is a whiney bitch, he puts himself in the position to make Youngstown, OH his place of employment, and we as fans are perfectly happy to see him packing the moving van. That's why you're going to catch a little flack for showing any support for a knuckle-dragging, spittling, pants-pissing jerkoff.
Are you talking to the right person? I looked at the thread and don't see anywhere that I supported Pelini or any of his vile, misogynistic language. Where did this diatribe come from?

Are you talking to the right person? I looked at the thread and don't see anywhere that I supported Pelini or any of his vile, misogynistic language. Where did this diatribe come from?

You've supported his recruiting in this thread, and don't distinguish it from Riley's, which is short-sighted. I'm pretty sure in the past that you have supported his record. Maybe that was...um...Tom. Yeah...uh...Tom. Not you.

Reactions: timnsun
who did he ever recruit?
I think he meant a such a good recruiting coordinator. I think that was SP's job if not his official title for Tom. I don't know how much interaction he actually had with recruits. He might have but I don't know.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT