ADVERTISEMENT

Football program in precarious position?...

The line against Oregon is at least understandable, second game of the season, first road game. Being that Oregon is breaking in a new coach and we beat them last year, I think it should be a little lower, and it might be by the time the game rolls around, but I can understand that line.

The line for the Wisconsin game, on the other hand, is ridiculous. First of all, even putting a line on the sixth game of the season, and third conference game, this early seems stupid. I understand it will probably change between now and then, but putting a line like that, this far out, seems stupid. Plus, it's Wisconsin's first conference road game.

I just can't come up with any logical reason, rose colored glasses or not, they would be favored by that much. They beat Nebraska, at home, by six points in Overtime last year. They didn't make any sort of drastic improvement anywhere that would make you think they would be significantly better than last year. On the other hand, if Nebraska had a decent passing QB in the game last year, they could have very likely won that game, and there is an improvement in that area.

I'm not guaranteeing Nebraska wins the game; I'm not even guaranteeing Nebraska doesn't lose by 8 or more points, it's way too far out to even begin to make statements like that. However, I personally don't see how anyone could look at that game and logically conclude that Wisconsin will win by 8 or more points, based on what is known right now.
Vegas likes to look at history and the recent history is that Wisconsin has had NU's number. That is why coupled with lots of uncertainty with the new QB and the DC change, Vegas sees us as an underdog. Remember the point of "the line" is to attract action not predict the outcome of the game.

I don't believe that was the case. When I looked back it just doesn't support your theory. 2014 was probably the closest but by then he had checked out.
I believe the point being made is that Pelini seemed to limp toward the finish line each year with recruiting. Riley has finished strong each year. I know which coach I would rather have…

Reactions: dockentwo
I believe the point being made is that Pelini seemed to limp toward the finish line each year with recruiting. Riley has finished strong each year. I know which coach I would rather have…
He was a late closer that is for sure limped to the finish is a stretch.

He was a late closer that is for sure limped to the finish is a stretch.
So I decided to double check...

11 2 star recruits in the final two weeks over the course of 7 years as coach. 19 3 stars, 6 4 stars... I wouldn't call that closing late... maybe not limping to the finish line, but in 3 years of recruiting, Riley has nearly matched Bo's 7 year closing haul of 4 star players, while reducing considerably the 2 star haul in the final two weeks.

Here are Riley's stats... 3 2 star players, 11 3 star and 4 4 star players in just 3 years. He knows how to close late. pelini, not so much.

He's been banned for it once. It should happen again if this bullshit continues.
So what exactly is trolling? Is it subjective or does it have a definitive definition. I see some merit in his post and although I do not totally agree with his thoughts I can see his side

Glad to see you post this. Sometimes I feel like maybe I'm the only one that feels this way about Tulsa. Good to know that I'm not alone.

I just placed the new user on "ignore" after reading their posts for awhile. When you figure out they are getting a kick out of trolling you then what is the point of it all. Just click "ignore" and the board is a lot more peaceful. Trust me, I dislike having to do that. Sometimes it's just best for some posters.

I just placed the new user on "ignore" after reading their posts for awhile. When you figure out they are getting a kick out of trolling you then what is the point of it all. Just click "ignore" and the board is a lot more peaceful. Trust me, I dislike having to do that. Sometimes it's just best for some posters.
No doubt this is true, the reason I don't be use ignore is simply because I do enjoy some of the sillier things people say sometimes... but is it worth the hassle? Maybe I need to use ignore...

11 2 star recruits in the final two weeks over the course of 7 years as coach. 19 3 stars, 6 4 stars... I wouldn't call that closing late... maybe not limping to the finish line, but in 3 years of recruiting, Riley has nearly matched Bo's 7 year closing haul of 4 star players, while reducing considerably the 2 star haul in the final two weeks.

Here are Riley's stats... 3 2 star players, 11 3 star and 4 4 star players in just 3 years. He knows how to close late. pelini, not so much.
This 100% Pelini was a lazy recruiter. That is not to say he did not get some talent but the lack of every day work then made him take too many flyers late.

Riley is organized and has replaced non contributors on the staff. If the wins come recruiting is looking really good. If we have some bad seasons it makes it tougher. I do feel the talent level is getting better but I wish he was playing this young talent sooner

Reactions: timnsun
No doubt this is true, the reason I don't be use ignore is simply because I do enjoy some of the sillier things people say sometimes... but is it worth the hassle? Maybe I need to use ignore...

Trust me, I do not place people on ignore for the littlest of things. It has to be a pattern where they are just trying to upset people on purpose, not just disagreeing with me.

not quite sure where you pulled those number

So what exactly is trolling? Is it subjective or does it have a definitive definition. I see some merit in his post and although I do not totally agree with his thoughts I can see his side

It's subjective. But there is a very clear pattern with him. And it's been clear for years.

"However, I personally don't see how anyone could look at that game and logically conclude that Wisconsin will win by 8 or more points, based on what is known right now."

Lines are put out to make money. Not to sit well with fan bases who feel their team is being slighted. Or probably in a rarer case, feel their team is being too well thought of.

"However, I personally don't see how anyone could look at that game and logically conclude that Wisconsin will win by 8 or more points, based on what is known right now."

Lines are put out to make money. Not to sit well with fan bases who feel their team is being slighted. Or probably in a rarer case, feel their team is being too well thought of.
Agreed. And Wisky has had our number since we joined the B1G.
Personally I don't give a crap for any preseason predictions. College football is way too unpredictable for that.
I really hope our game in Lincoln this year against Wisky is a night game. Memorial Stadium will be rocking if it is.

I guess I don't understand how someone could take anything Tulsa Tom puts out there personally? Does he take a contrarian's role? Absolutely. Isn't that was a message/discussion board should be about...two sides of the ledger(other than Iowa fans, minus SWI)? It seems to me that the only people he p!sses off are the ones who put Riley and Eichorst on some infallible pedestal.

The guy is harmless.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I guess I don't understand how someone could take anything Tulsa Tom puts out there personally? Does he take a contrarian's role? Absolutely. Isn't that was a message/discussion board should be about...two sides of the ledger(other than Iowa fans, minus SWI)? It seems to me that the only people he p!sses off are the ones who put Riley and Eichorst on some infallible pedestal.

The guy is harmless.
Guy?

I don't want to be the grammar police, but the phrase is "toe the line" not "tow". The phrase comes from track where the runner's toe cannot cross the start line. The runner must "toe the line" or be disqualified.

Umm, going grammar police and not noting the egregious misuse of the word "there" has to mean some sort of penalty. As the great Jimmy Dugan said, "Anything worth doing is worth doing right."

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Umm, going grammar police and not noting the egregious misuse of the word "there" has to mean some sort of penalty. As the great Jimmy Dugan said, "Anything worth doing is worth doing right."
I didn't want to pile on. :Cool: And sometimes misusing there for their is just inadvertence. But writing "tow" the line is most likely not.

not quite sure where you pulled those number
Simple... went to rivals, looked at each year during Pelini's and Riley's tenure, and added up the final 2 weeks or so of recruits. If you disagree, prove me wrong. You claimed Pelini was a good closer. I showed here that he wasn't as good as you remember.

Edit: and by the way, the 3 2 star recruits Riley closed with happened his first year. He hasn't had a 2 star commit in the final 2 weeks since. And to be fair, Pelini had 4 his first year. That means 7 his final 6 years.

It was cryptic for a reason.

The fact that we as a fanbase are willing to tolerate a 7-8 win season is odd. All because we think we will be good in 2019? Did we really opt to forgo the normal preseason hype, and skip forward to two years ahead preseason hype?
This is nebraska now and if you complain about it you automatically love bo pelini and want riley to fail. This is what ive learned from this board.

However, as ive posted in other threads, i really dont see us only winning 7 or 8 . I think our fanbase is a bit jaded right now and some are subconciously setting the bar low so they wont be as disappointed if it happens or so if we do any better they can be ecstatic even though we wont win a title for example. I fully see upgrades in talent, experience, and coaching going into next season which means a better team.

tOSU, Ped St, Iowa, Wisconsin, Oregon, Northwestern. If we run the table with the weaker teams, assume losses to tOSU and Ped St, and consider the other four games listed a 50/50 proposition, four losses is the probable outcome for the season. If Diaco really has the goods as a DC and our Oline can give Lee time to operate, I think NW and Iowa become wins and the games against the Ducks and Badgers are tossups.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Simple... went to rivals, looked at each year during Pelini's and Riley's tenure, and added up the final 2 weeks or so of recruits. If you disagree, prove me wrong. You claimed Pelini was a good closer. I showed here that he wasn't as good as you remember.

Edit: and by the way, the 3 2 star recruits Riley closed with happened his first year. He hasn't had a 2 star commit in the final 2 weeks since. And to be fair, Pelini had 4 his first year. That means 7 his final 6 years.

And thankfully you have the power of hindsight here. The 3, 2 stars your talking about (Alex Davis, Antonio Reed, & Ober) that Mike brought in are actually really good football players.All of them actually play. All may be starters in 2017. Davis is going to very good in the 3-4 and has only played a few years of organized football.

The 4 HS, 2 star commits Bo landed in 2014's class were all complete BUSTS. I think AJ Bush is the only one still playing football anywhere out of all 4. I just saw on facebook when looking up those guys, that Deandre Wills just got a job at Dick's sporting goods so that is nice. And yes, I am not a counting Brown here cause the star rankings for kickers suck. A 2-star ranking is not a bad ranking for kickers.

Anyways, did Bo ever have a 2-star that panned out? Jake Cotton I guess. But who the hell else? IMO if a coach takes a 2-star commit, he is putting himself on the line a ton with fans. If a 4-star commit busts, the coach has an out IMO. If a 2-star commit doesn't work out, then the coach is 100% to blame since the ranking should have been a red flag.

Spin it how you want, but the debate on Bo's recruiting to Mike's recruiting is stupid. It's like comparing the excitement levels of a neighborhood park to Six Flags. It's just not in the same league. So for posters who try to re-bring up Bo when recruiting is talked about, do us all a favor and just STFU. Your never going to win the battle. Your just bored. It's not even close. It's just stupid that we have to even talk about it.

Last edited:
Keep this stuff up and Tom's wife will cease to exist, going the way of Tulsa Tom...

What's your next alias? Tom's concubine?
What most of us have failed to decipher is that actually Tulsa Tom aka Tom's wife is actually Frank's illegitimate love child. That explains his constant revision of Frank's recruiting prowess. Frank's last 2 classes were ranked in the 40s.

The guy is harmless.

Harmless? Of course. But he's not being contrarian. He's being purposefully obtuse to troll people. It's been his things on this board for years.

I don't know anyone here who puts Riley/Eichorst on an infallible pedestal. Which posters do that?

It's just hyperbole.

The same as anyone who dislikes Riley is a Bobot or whatever term you want to use.

It is what it is. Usually facts and actual truths will move them on to other threads. Where the process is repeated.

I didn't mention this earlier, and was too lazy to change it, but Pelini also put us on self-imposed recruiting sanctions by taking too few commitments in the majority of his classes. That also 'tends to' impact depth. Seems I recall we were at one point using less than 75 of our allotted 85 scholarships during the Pelini regime.

2008 - 28
2009 - 20
2010 - 22
2011 - 20
2012 - 17

2013 - 25
2014 - 25
2015 - Only 9 commits* toward 2015 class when he was fired on Nov. 30th, 2014.

*EDIT - Some of them decommitted and had to be re-recruited by Riley's staff.

I know Riley and Co. only had 21 and 20 respectively in the '16 and '17 classes, but also didn't take any reaches either, IMO.

Last edited:
What most of us have failed to decipher is that actually Tulsa Tom aka Tom's wife is actually Frank's illegitimate love child. That explains his constant revision of Frank's recruiting prowess. Frank's last 2 classes were ranked in the 40s.

I don't mind mentioning Frank's success in his first few classes, but Tom needs to at least provide a link.

I just remember how Frank's recruiting is what ultimately led to his dismissal. Well...that, a kooky narcissist AD, and K-State bludgeoning us at home.

The guy is harmless.

I don't think anyone takes him personally...at all. He is treated just like anyone else whose sole purpose is to troll.

He's like a rash. You know it has a low level of sophistication and that it won't kill ya...but it will irritate you knowing that you'll have to put up with it another day.

I don't mind mentioning Frank's success in his first few classes, but Tom needs to at least provide a link. I just remember how Frank's recruiting is what ultimately led to his dismissal. Well...that, a kooky narcissist AD, and K-State bludgeoning us at home.
Tom gives me some input, but I say what I want. I already told you to start by going to Huskermax to find the information. If you post about the recruiting success (or lack thereof) of previous coaches, I assume you might do it accurately. Now, I will provide the links, but I am positive you will ignore it. You will say it was Osborne's success, ignore the fact that Frank made wholesale changes in his staff in 2002 b/c they couldn't recruit anymore, forget that Stevie P. hurt recruiting in the 2003 class with Solich's job speculation (much like Eichorst did with Bo), etc.

https://www.huskermax.com/recruits/2000_recruiting_ratings.html
Guess what happens when you click Bobby Burton's name in the link: it goes to Rivals.com

https://www.huskermax.com/recruits/2001_ratings.html
Hmmmmmm...it's called Rivals 100 (Bobby Burton) Superprep had us #7.

http://www.dailynebraskan.com/solic...cle_d88d0127-6813-5202-babd-fadfc36cfd7f.html
Quote from the article, "Bobby Burton of the National Recruiting Adviser ranks Nebraska tenth nationally."

Three of the six years that Solich was the coach he recruited in the top 10. His staff just got really old. Milt, Dan Young, George Darlington and another one or two I can't remember couldn't cut all the travel at the end of Solich's reign and he had to fire them.

You can call me names, act like I make up information, and say I don't know what I am talking about. But maybe you can glean something from the above.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoosker Du
Tom gives me some input, but I say what I want. I already told you to start by going to Huskermax to find the information. If you post about the recruiting success (or lack thereof) of previous coaches, I assume you might do it accurately. Now, I will provide the links, but I am positive you will ignore it. You will say it was Osborne's success, ignore the fact that Frank made wholesale changes in his staff in 2002 b/c they couldn't recruit anymore, forget that Stevie P. hurt recruiting in 2003 with Solich's job speculation (much like Eichorst did with Bo), etc.

Guess what happens when you click Bobby Burton's name in the link: it goes to Rivals.com

http://www.dailynebraskan.com/solic...cle_d88d0127-6813-5202-babd-fadfc36cfd7f.html
Quote from the article, "Bobby Burton of the National Recruiting Adviser ranks Nebraska tenth nationally."

Three of the six years that Solich was the coach he recruited in the top 10. His staff just got really old. Milt, Dan Young, George Darlington and another one or two I can't remember couldn't cut all the travel at the end of Solich's reign and he had to fire them.

You can call me names, act like I make up information, and say I don't know what I am talking about. But maybe you can glean something from the above.

Indeed.

That Tom and/or his wife spend a lot of time thinking about a very average coach who has spent over a decade at Ohio. Lest we forget that all this time has gone by without any interest from P5-caliber schools for his outstanding recruiting results!

Indeed.

That Tom and/or his wife spend a lot of time thinking about a very average coach who has spent over a decade at Ohio. Lest we forget that all this time has gone by without any interest from P5-caliber schools for his outstanding recruiting results!
Nice, I get lambasted because somebody is crying that he wants links (as if my info was wrong). I post the links only to get lambasted because I spend too much time commenting on a former coach.

Tom gives me some input, but I say what I want. I already told you to start by going to Huskermax to find the information. If you post about the recruiting success (or lack thereof) of previous coaches, I assume you might do it accurately. Now, I will provide the links, but I am positive you will ignore it. You will say it was Osborne's success, ignore the fact that Frank made wholesale changes in his staff in 2002 b/c they couldn't recruit anymore, forget that Stevie P. hurt recruiting in the 2003 class with Solich's job speculation (much like Eichorst did with Bo), etc.

Thank you for the links. I guarantee that I will read them. Honestly, I was on this board back then, but did not remember Frank's recruiting being that good in his first 3 years. I was just going by the quick lookup that I could do on this site, and didn't put much time into it. The drastic change strikes me as peculiar though. Guys don't just become old overnight. Maybe it should tell us how fickle those are that are involved in the rankings.

Just for the record, despite Frank's difficulties in recruiting late in his regime, I didn't agree with his dismissal. They went 10-3 in 2003 and had just brought in Pelini to coach the defense. Yeah, we got rung up a couple times that year to some decent teams, but I don't believe Frank should have been fired.

The reason why I was critical of your previous message was because you intentionally acted as if a 2, 3, or 4 player recruiting class with a slightly higher star average than ours was better than our 11 player class with a slightly lower star average. Just so we are both in agreement that you were being intentionally obtuse just to irritate members on this board.

Those 3 were the only teams that I cited, but there were others that had a low number of commitments with a higher star average, which would indicate that our class is indeed better than the 17th best class in the ratings.

Indeed.

Those coaches let go at NU benefited more from the system than the system benefited from them. Are we all in agreement on this?

Thank you for the links. I guarantee that I will read them. Honestly, I was on this board back then, but did not remember Frank's recruiting being that good in his first 3 years. I was just going by the quick lookup that I could do on this site, and didn't put much time into it. The drastic change strikes me as peculiar though. Guys don't just become old overnight. Maybe it should tell us how fickle those are that are involved in the rankings.

Just for the record, despite Frank's difficulties in recruiting late in his regime, I didn't agree with his dismissal. They went 10-3 in 2003 and had just brought in Pelini to coach the defense. Yeah, we got rung up a couple times that year to some decent teams, but I don't believe Frank should have been fired.

The reason why I was critical of your previous message was because you intentionally acted as if a 2, 3, or 4 player recruiting class with a slightly higher star average than ours was better than our 11 player class with a slightly lower star average. Just so we are both in agreement that you were being intentionally obtuse just to irritate members on this board.

Those 3 were the only teams that I cited, but there were others that had a low number of commitments with a higher star average, which would indicate that our class is indeed better than the 17th best class in the ratings.
I didn't "intentionally" include those who had a handful of players. I simply included everyone. Looking at the thread you can see that you and others have said that, unlike in other years, star rankings are more important than points. I simply put up where we are currently ranked in terms of star averages. I can't help what irritates you and can barely help what irritates me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT