ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Satterfield

I like how the play calling is often criticized but an alternative is never offered. So instead of running an inside zone on the weak side with a pull and pin from the TE we should have run trips right and cleared the outside for a RB wheel route. No, it’s just the O coordinator (everything me since Tom) should be fired.

There are some basic rules for QBs to look at. Two deep safeties calls for a run, a single high is better for running. Does anyone really know what the play call was on all of the times when the right play wasn’t called? QBs are usually given two plays and they can option from that.

All this complaining just shows a lot of FB ignorance. The results could have been much better had DR not gone the wrong way twice or a holding call brought back a long TD run but sure go ahead and blame the play caller.

I am not a fan nor a critic of Sat but he has a boss as well so it’s not like he is all on his own.

The play calling in the second half was deliberate conservative, as my neighbor noted they seemed to be trying stuff just to see if it would work.
well, this popular sentiment was thoroughly debunked in Rhule's presser today:

-Coach Rhule had the opinion of being aggressive when we were up 28-0

back to the well, white knights!

Reactions: leodisflowers
and for all the Satt apologists - why do you care who the OC is? what is the benefit of a personal connection to an assistant coach?

we want the best guys at every position.

plain and simple.

Reactions: timnsun
Coach Rhule agrees with the overall sentiment in this thread

Offense needs to be better around DR
I thought I needed to account for the possibility that this was a well-considered strategy to maximize chances of winning the game by shortening the second half with minimal errors. And that Satt was just executing the agreed plan.

But Rhule did say he wanted to be aggressive when we were 28-0. And some offensive players need to dial it in and focus. Particularly WRs, which makes me wonder how good is our WR coach.

Reactions: king_kong_
I thought I needed to account for the possibility that this was a well-considered strategy to maximize chances of winning the game by shortening the second half with minimal errors. And that Satt was just executing the agreed plan.

But Rhule did say he wanted to be aggressive when we were 28-0. And some offensive players need to dial it in and focus. Particularly WRs, which makes me wonder how good is our WR coach.
Rhule officially put Satt on notice during todays presser

Hopefully he gets the memo. If not, he will be gone, Thomas will take over, and we will not miss satt for a millisecond.

Why not enjoy the win without micromanaging the process? Without those key penalties on those chunk plays in the second half we probably put up another 2 TDs. I'm sorry but I don't get calling for firing coaches given what I've seen so far. We look organized and well coached. Players have to make plays and avoid penalties. Once the game starts there's only so much a coach can do and IMO we look well coached. Personally I would have liked us to continue to attack CU down the field in the second half but we were having trouble protecting Raiola when they brought 7. We tried to run clock with a lot of run calls but CU was stacking the box and bringing frequent blitzes. That's why we hit on a couple of long runs only to have them brought back with the dropped hankies. The second half was deflating but it isn't about my joy. It's about sealing the W and they did that.

well, this popular sentiment was thoroughly debunked in Rhule's presser today:

-Coach Rhule had the opinion of being aggressive when we were up 28-0

back to the well, white knights!
I'm not a fan of Rhule passing off blame to Satt. Rhule is right there. He can tell Satt to go for the jugular. This game plan was arrived at by Rhule, Satt and Thomas. We did make some aggressive play calls in the second half but they don't always work. CU's defense played much better in that second half and a large part of that was all of the blitz packages they thew at Raiola.

Last edited:
I was responding to this in your post: "Hopefully he gets the memo. If not, he will be gone,..."
I think he’ll make a change if he deems it necessary

If he doesn’t want to fire him, maybe he’ll tip off the LPD after a long night so they can do it for him

I'm not a fan of Rhule passing off blame to Satt. Rhule's right there. He can tell Satt to go for the jugular. This game plan was arrived at by Rhule, Satt and Thomas. We did make some aggressive play calls in the second half but they don't always work. CU's defense played much better in that second half and a large part of that was all of the blitz packages they thew at Raiola.
He was pretty visibly frustrated on the sideline during the 2nd half

I didn’t take it as him passing the buck, more like “we talked about this and it didn’t happen”

But this is a fair opinion

Why not enjoy the win without micromanaging the process? Without those key penalties on those chunk plays in the second half we probably put up another 2 TDs. I'm sorry but I don't get calling for firing coaches given what I've seen so far. We look organized and well coached. Players have to make plays and avoid penalties. Once the game starts there's only so much a coach can do and IMO we look well coached. Personally I would have liked us to continue to attack CU down the field in the second half but we were having trouble protecting Raiola when they brought 7. We tried to run clock with a lot of run calls but CU was stacking the box and bringing frequent blitzes. That's why we hit on a couple of long runs only to have them brought back with the dropped hankies. The second half was deflating but it isn't about my joy. It's about sealing the W and they did that.

I definitely don't think he did anything that would be worth firing him lol. I just didn't like a few calls. As far as I'm concerned this is Satterfields first year. Last year was a wash and if anything I give him credit for pivoting and trying to do anything to help our QB .

I thought he called a good game 1. Game 2 wasn't AS good to me but that's jmo. At some point I'm assuming HCMR may have told him just get us out of here with minimal risk. I also agree that without those BS calls you could add at least another 10-14 points to that total.

Hindsight I don't feel as bad as I did about the calls Saturday night.

Holla

Reactions: dinglefritz
Get used to this style of play. This is Matt Rhule. He will win more games than he loses the rest of his time at NU, and probably win a fair share of close games, but we won't be lighting up the scoreboard. Satterfield has always been a bottom half of the nation in scoring, and top in turnovers. He is with Rhule again because he does what Rhule wants and is willing to compliment the defense and special teams. Most OCs won't do this because it would jeopardize their careers to be in the bottom 50 of the NCAA in team scoring every year they are OC. The game plan was designed to not turn the ball over, as that was probably the only way to lose up 28-0. Satterfield was probably about to be fired at South Carolina when Rhule grabbed him up, and Satt is happy to have a very well paying job with a guy he trusts. It sucks to not obliterate teams, but ultimately a win is a win...this team, if it wins, will win ugly with defense and special teams. As much as people want a new OC...who is going to come coach for Rhule when his entire history is to handicap the OC in favor of defense...it is somewhat career suicide. We criticize Satt because we look at his career stats and they are absolute garbage, so we assume he is terrible...but much of that was with Rhule...if Satt was in the top 10 in scoring as an OC, we would trust him at this point...that he would figure it out. Much of the criticism is based on his past, which is directly related to Rhule's style of coaching.
We had a design to attack the short outside in the passing/sweep game, plus run up the middle. That didn't change from 1st half to 2nd half. The execution against a different defensive game plan in the 2nd half was not good. It was on the players, not the coach.

Last edited:
Teams with good corners are going to give us fits. We do not have anybody who can beat a good corner one on one, which means teams can load up 8 or 9 in the box...they were playing with 8-9 guys within four yards of Dylan pretty much all of the 2nd half. And we were 0-infinity on deep fades and anything to force the safeties to help in coverage. We have to find somebody can win 1 on 1 on the outside...this is why Malachi not developing is a big deal. He was supposed to bring 5 star speed and height to force safeties to stay back.
Hunter covered half the field. Other teams won't be able to load up that way. That said, our WRs missed a lot of opportunities.

Reactions: Huskers123456
They were selling out between the tackles, just had to get outside. Like we did on RJ’s long TD that got called back.
Slanting the D-linemen, blitzing. I heard it described as a FBS defensive plan. And it worked well as long as we stayed conservative. Great point about the outside runs being there-- Ramir and Emmitt would have been more effective at finding those soft spots.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Hunter covered half the field. Other teams won't be able to load up that way. That said, our WRs missed a lot of opportunities.
He's a spoiled and immature, but where would Colorado be without Hunter? He's literally their best player (as a DB) and also their 3rd best player (as a WR) on their team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT