ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Foley.

When Rhule announces at his press conference that the special teams were the worst in his recent experience I don’t think anyone needs to call for Foley to be fired. Foley is surely aware that he better get things improved fast.

Callahan was willing to be fired instead of upgrading his obviously underperforming DC. I don’t think Ruhle operates that way but we will see.
I don't think anyone actually expects a coach to be fired 2 games into our most promising season in 8 years.

at least I don't.

"Fire so and so" is a turn of phrase. it only becomes literal after the season.

Reactions: timnsun
What color is the sky in your world? Rhule just literally said that it was one of the worst performances his teams has had. There were all kinds of issues.... Coaches don't just say that for the fun of it.
It is bright blue today. Rhule also has called almost every player on his roster an NFL player at some point or another. Do you take as gospel every word that a coach says in a press conference? He knows the fan angst. He let those of you losing your mind that he understands the concern and will try to address it WITH THE PLAYERS HE HAS ON HIS ROSTER and by trying to recruit over them. Tom's teams gave up returns at times too so that really doesn't concern me all that much. They'll get that fixed. Fixing a kicker though is problematic if you don't have a better guy to replace him. The best approach IMO is to build the guy's confidence as much as you can without yapping about it in a press conference. Rhule has done that some by saying he's been perfect from 30 yards in practice.

It is bright blue today. Rhule also has called almost every player on his roster an NFL player at some point or another. Do you take as gospel every word that a coach says in a press conference? He knows the fan angst. He let those of you losing your mind that he understands the concern and will try to address it WITH THE PLAYERS HE HAS ON HIS ROSTER and by trying to recruit over them. Tom's teams gave up returns at times too so that really doesn't concern me all that much. They'll get that fixed. Fixing a kicker though is problematic if you don't have a better guy to replace him. The best approach IMO is to build the guy's confidence as much as you can without yapping about it in a press conference. Rhule has done that some by saying he's been perfect from 30 yards in practice.
No one is losing their mind, they are pointing out the weak link that could end up costing us during the season if it doesn't get shored up. The first two games have had numerous errors across the board on special teams. This is coming after a year where special teams was god awful and the leader of the group had to start off the season giving himself an ultimatum. Recruiting is going to help, but similar to other groups, sometimes you just have to try something else. We have two other kickers on the roster and one of them needs to be trotted out against UNI to see if they can make something. We need to know that we can make a field goal under 40 yards before conference play. The theme of this year is chasing 3 and hard to chase that number when your kicker and ST could cause the same results as last year when games get close.

Like I've said, there is time, but not much. Because of the style of O we are getting ready to play, every possession is going to be vital as Illinois, Rutgers, and Indiana are all going to try and establish the run game which will eat clock. Thank god we have a competent QB that can take some of the pressure off, but there is going to be multiple games where field goals are going to be the difference.

When Rhule announces at his press conference that the special teams were the worst in his recent experience I don’t think anyone needs to call for Foley to be fired. Foley is surely aware that he better get things improved fast.

Callahan was willing to be fired instead of upgrading his obviously underperforming DC. I don’t think Ruhle operates that way but we will see.
And I think Ed is old enough to just move to some analyst role if needed where he just helps break down film and judges pie eating contests.

Reactions: leodisflowers
No one is losing their mind, they are pointing out the weak link that could end up costing us during the season if it doesn't get shored up. The first two games have had numerous errors across the board on special teams. This is coming after a year where special teams was god awful and the leader of the group had to start off the season giving himself an ultimatum. Recruiting is going to help, but similar to other groups, sometimes you just have to try something else. We have two other kickers on the roster and one of them needs to be trotted out against UNI to see if they can make something. We need to know that we can make a field goal under 40 yards before conference play. The theme of this year is chasing 3 and hard to chase that number when your kicker and ST could cause the same results as last year when games get close.

Like I've said, there is time, but not much. Because of the style of O we are getting ready to play, every possession is going to be vital as Illinois, Rutgers, and Indiana are all going to try and establish the run game which will eat clock. Thank god we have a competent QB that can take some of the pressure off, but there is going to be multiple games where field goals are going to be the difference.
the weak link according to several message board posters....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT