ADVERTISEMENT

Final class size/final recruits

inWV

Offensive Coordinator
Sep 22, 2007
We are sitting at 19, 20 with the the transfers (w Vedral as a walkon). 23/24 has been the reported class size and it looks like we can get there without taking any reaches. Cam Jones has been in the mix for a slot for quite some time. Bell is now a NU lean. 247 has Sampson trending to NU, but word is that we have cooled on him. Hall seems up in the air, but would be a get.
So who are our last 3-4 commits?

If we want to compete against the big boys we must start acting like a big boy and sign 20-28 every year and encourage those that don't contribute after a certain amount of time to go elsewhere. JMO

I think we could take 5 more. Mapeiu probably won't qualify, and who knows about Smith and Woodyard. My predictions:

Bell
Jones
Hall
Tannor/Baldonado
Washington/Henry

Last edited:
Reactions: headcard
If we want to compete against the big boys we must start acting like a big boy and sign 20-28 every year and encourage those that don't contribute after a certain amount of time to go elsewhere. JMO

Next year is the year to start over signing and dumping dead weight. The staff really hasn’t seen much of the current team in person yet.

If Masry and Smith are academic casualties, do we still pass on Sampson?

B1G conference rules only allow us to sign 3 more than are presently available. The time to have done the encouragement has passed us by.

Not quite the same thing but having a couple players come out early for the NFL will free up a few spots. Not that the players we get are necessarily better but they will hopefully fit SFs system better.

Coaching staffs can take players off of scholarship? Didn't realize that was an option. Thought once they were on scholarship they were always on until they graduated.

I'm so shocked the recycled losers wanna-be insiders haven't detailed it out for the OP.

Coaching staffs can take players off of scholarship? Didn't realize that was an option. Thought once they were on scholarship they were always on until they graduated.
Yes
Kids can be put on Medical Scholarships- Trey Bryant
Kids in their 5th year who arent contributing
A number of different avenues

That's not true. Staff just has to document that they know attrition is going to happen, it doesn't have to be public.

Yes, they have to give a "good faith" number by the February signing day and they can go 3 over that number. If there aren't any other known transfers, etc., I really have a hard time thinking they are going to be able to "process" 6 guys like a lot of people are talking about with the signing numbers they are throwing around.

Yes, they have to give a "good faith" number by the February signing day and they can go 3 over that number. If there aren't any other known transfers, etc., I really have a hard time thinking they are going to be able to "process" 6 guys like a lot of people are talking about with the signing numbers they are throwing around.

I don't think they will "process" anyone this year. But there could be guys leaving we don't know about yet. There have ben rumors about a DL transferring (among others) and a placeholder going on medical. If they know about any of these type of defections, they should go ahead and add those, in addition to the +3, because we are sure to have additional attrition after the Spring.

I'm so shocked the recycled losers wanna-be insiders haven't detailed it out for the OP.
OP here, what are Dubs thoughts on how this class closes? Cam'ron Jones, Bell, and Washington seem to be in the mix, maybe Sampson as well. Do we get Washington?

OP here, what are Dubs thoughts on how this class closes? Cam'ron Jones, Bell, and Washington seem to be in the mix, maybe Sampson as well. Do we get Washington?

What's up "OP". Laughing

No opinion for this forum, I'm enjoying an actual process.

the big question is WHY a kid from York High, with it's great academic rep, DOESN'T qualify...I DID!!!:)

What's up "OP". Laughing

No opinion for this forum, I'm enjoying an actual process.
Cool with that. The process seems to be working out OK, in fact much better than OK. A question that doesn't necessarily require an opinion is whether Mapieu and CJ Smith's commits are honored if they haven't qualified by some date. Does SF continue to hold a spot for a kid who is likely going to need to go to a JC?

Is Tago a priority at this point? Seems like a project

Frost and Walters visited him today and he's officially visiting here this weekend, so he must be. I think they like him because he could play QB or LB.

Reactions: WHCSC
There are a bunch you dont even need to see play to know they need to move on.

Who ya thinking? Gotta be a Junior or Senior eligibility-wise to know for sure whether a player will pan out, right?

By the time you are a senior, you should be on the 2-deep and be playing some decent minutes.

PSxsBb3.png

If Urban Meyer looked at this list, he would probably process half of our upper classmen.

Is Cole Conrad on scholarship for good or was his a one year?

Reactions: davecisar
We are sitting at 19, 20 with the the transfers (w Vedral as a walkon). 23/24 has been the reported class size and it looks like we can get there without taking any reaches. Cam Jones has been in the mix for a slot for quite some time. Bell is now a NU lean. 247 has Sampson trending to NU, but word is that we have cooled on him. Hall seems up in the air, but would be a get.
So who are our last 3-4 commits?

We have 19 right now.
Sitting at 83 85 scholarships as of right now I believe (Not counting Vedral).

86. OL Jarrett Bell - N tonight (If he doesn't commit, Tyrone Sampson probably will if the staff really wants to sign a second interior OL player besides Farniok.)
87. S Cam Jones - N Saturday night
88. RB Washington or Henry - N before Feb. 4th
89. WR/DB Nikko Hall - N close to signing day (Otherwise we take heavy lean Jackson?)
90. QB/LB Tago - N (Frost just visited him, so he must actually want him)

S Cam Taylor - No more room? Heavy lean per TOS
OT Hamilton Hall - No more room?
OLB J. Jean-Baptiste - No more room? tOSU bound?
OLB Caleb Tannor - No more room? SEC bound?

Peyton Newell grad transfer to KSU opens up a spot if that rumor is true.

Quite a few visitors that will get whittled down as the dates approach...
Jan. 26
QB - Tago
WR - Watt (Does he still visit?)
S - Cameron Taylor
OL - Blake McDonald

Feb. 2
DE - Baldonado
S - Kendrick Torain,
OL - Sampson, Nigel Brannon, Hamilton Hall
RB - Henry, Washington, Michael Barrett (will commit elsewhere and not take visit IMO)
WR - John Jackson, Andre Hunt, and Nikko Hall

It will definitely be an interesting final 2 weeks. Hardly an OV spots or openings left for commits and too many recruits scheduled.

Last edited:
We have 19 right now.
Sitting at 83 scholarships as of right now I believe (Not counting Vedral).

84. OL Jarrett Bell - N tonight (If he doesn't commit, Tyrone Sampson probably will if the staff really wants to sign a second interior OL player besides Farniok.)
85. S Cam Jones - N Saturday night
86. RB Washington or Henry - N before Feb. 4th
87. WR/DB Nikko Hall - N close to signing day (Otherwise we take heavy lean Jackson?)
88. QB/LB Tago - N (Frost just visited him, so he must actually want him)

S Cam Taylor - No more room? Heavy lean per TOS
OT Hamilton Hall - No more room?
OLB J. Jean-Baptiste - No more room? tOSU bound?
OLB Caleb Tannor - No more room? SEC bound?

Peyton Newell grad transfer to KSU opens up a spot if that rumor is true.

Quite a few visitors that will get whittled down as the dates approach...
Jan. 26
QB - Tago
WR - Watt (Does he still visit?)
S - Cameron Taylor
OL - Blake McDonald

Feb. 2
DE - Baldonado
S - Kendrick Torain,
OL - Sampson, Nigel Brannon, Hamilton Hall
RB - Henry, Washington, Michael Barrett (will commit elsewhere and not take visit IMO)
WR - John Jackson, Andre Hunt, and Nikko Hall

It will definitely be an interesting final 2 weeks. Hardly an OV spots or openings left for commits and too many recruits scheduled.

Good list. But 'm sure there will be room for either Jean-Baptiste or Tannor if they want in. Mike Schaffer put in a crystal ball for Jean-Baptiste to Nebraska today, fwiw.

Good list. But 'm sure there will be room for either Jean-Baptiste or Tannor if they want in. Mike Schaffer put in a crystal ball for Jean-Baptiste to Nebraska today, fwiw.

I agree.

The coaches have so many that seem to want N! What a great problem to have. The coaches seem to be in the position to pick and choose, rather than the recruits.

Not sure how they want to pick which recruits can commit out of those left, but we need CBs.

They want another QB commit, but surprising that Tago is their man by choice.

Most of those Feb. 2 visits will be cancelled. Hopefully our class is 99% full by that weekend.

Reactions: PAOK
We have 19 right now.
Sitting at 83 scholarships as of right now I believe (Not counting Vedral).

I think we are at 85. The distribution grid you pasted above doesn't have Mike Williams nor Breon Dixon on it. That puts current players and signees at 79. Plus the 6 commits that haven't signed yet gets you to 85. Space is filling up fast.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
I think we are at 85. The distribution grid you pasted above doesn't have Mike Williams nor Breon Dixon on it. That puts current players and signees at 79. Plus the 6 commits that haven't signed yet gets you to 85. Space is filling up fast.

Edited it. Thanks.
Good catch. Rivals shows 79 vs the omahadata site showing 77.

We just picked up several crystal balls for DB Kendrick Torain as well....not sure how he fits in - unless CJ Smith isn't going to qualify? I didn't think we would take both Clark and Torain. Perhaps one of our current DBs will transfer out (Eric Lee?)

Last edited:
We just picked up several crystal balls for DB Kendrick Torain as well....not sure how he fits in - unless CJ Smith isn't going to qualify? I didn't think we would take both Clark and Torain. Perhaps one of our current DBs will transfer out (Eric Lee?)
Why would Lee leave? He is a returning starter, can’t imagine he would want to sit out a year.

Reactions: davecisar
ADVERTISEMENT