ADVERTISEMENT

Field Goal Kicker

Alvano was supposed to be really good. Many fans would have blown up if Nebraska didn’t offer him a scholarship. They got the guy they couldn’t let slip away and go be excellent somewhere else. He’s been shaky and now not available. With recruiting sometimes it hits right other times it doesn’t. Don’t be so upset. Yes i understand it puts the team in a tough spot but what can you do about it now?
Maybe so thats when you go buy a field goal kicker.

Reactions: kakdawg
^^^This^^^ I don’t think the missed field goal was the kicker’s fault. That kick had proper height and distance. But he hooked it left probably because he could not strike the ball properly since the laces were facing him. It is just like trying to hit a golf ball that has caked on mud on the strike surface.
Mr. Automatic Justin Tucker for the Ravens has missed multiple field goals and I think extra points this year. It's such a mental job. Then you throw a 19 year old kid out there from Lincoln out in front of 93,000 fans and a national TV audience for a game winning kick......and we're surprised he missed? Good heavens. People need to chill. I saw multiple chip shot field goals missed in college and the NFL over the weekend. It happens.

Mr. Automatic Justin Tucker for the Ravens has missed multiple field goals and I think extra points this year. It's such a mental job. Then you throw a 19 year old kid out there from Lincoln out in front of 93,000 fans and a national TV audience for a game winning kick......and we're surprised he missed? Good heavens. People need to chill. I saw multiple chip shot field goals missed in college and the NFL over the weekend. It happens.
There have been plenty of almost guaranteed inside the 40 kickers.

Reactions: BroskiRed
Yes, this is very true here. Believe me all Husker kickers had a miserable weekend. They practice & dream of making a winning kick & then they are on the line with very high pressure. I played tennis & boxed a little & with small gatherings of people watching it got really nervous time!😅😅😅🤣

Reactions: dinglefritz
What about Nico O? He's young but he was the best kicker out of New Jersey last year. He may not have long distance range yet, but can he put it through the uprights regularly from under 40?

Reactions: leodisflowers
If that kid from westside can't even go in the game to kick a 30 yard FG...there is no reason for him to be taking up a scholarship. I know, I know, that is harsh but still.

Did we ever hear why Alvano didn’t play? Weird that he all of a sudden couldn’t go.

Did we ever hear why Alvano didn’t play? Weird that he all of a sudden couldn’t go.
I tailgated with on of the team's orthopods before the game but I'm not sure he even knew Alvano wouldn't play. My guess is that he re-aggravated his surgically repaired groin.

If that kid from westside can't even go in the game to kick a 30 yard FG...there is no reason for him to be taking up a scholarship. I know, I know, that is harsh but still.

That sounds harsh but it makes sense. I know nobody wants to hear it but if we can't hit a 40 yd fg consistently we don't need a kicker on scholarship.

Holla

That sounds harsh but it makes sense. I know nobody wants to hear it but if we can't hit a 40 yd fg consistently we don't need a kicker on scholarship.

Holla
Is he on scholarship? It was his first pressure kick for a local kid in front of 93K and a national TV audience. I'll extend some grace and say he'll probably be okay going forward.

Is he on scholarship? It was his first pressure kick for a local kid in front of 93K and a national TV audience. I'll extend some grace and say he'll probably be okay going forward.

I wasn't talking about him. I was talking about Alvano. It's not like he's been even average himself. My main point is if you cant consistently hit 40 yard FGs and closer when your team needs you to then I don't see a reason to use a scholarship on you. This is kinda for whoever your kicker is.

Holla

Reactions: HuskAir
I wasn't talking about him. I was talking about Alvano. It's not like he's been even average himself. My main point is if you cant consistently hit 40 yard FGs and closer when your team needs you to then I don't see a reason to use a scholarship on you. This is kinda for whoever your kicker is.

Holla
There's going to be some tough conversations with some guys after the season with the new NCAA roster limits going in to effect. An injury hardship out might be in the cards for Alvano.

Former kicker here. The laces were toward the inside. If anything, that should have pushed the ball to the right. He missed wide left. That was all on the kicker
Finally. An answer from an expert. However, I do think Ruhle mentioned the laces to defend the kicker, but i realize he might have done that just to tone down the criticism and let the kid know he has his back.

I was starting to blame myself for sitting slightly to the right of my TV screen — thought it might have caused the kicker to overcompensate and pull it to the left of my tv screen.

On their long punt return Friday night we outkicked the coverage then two of our cover guys on that side got held. Punting has been better this year but we punted it straight down the middle without enough hang time for the distance. IF we don’t get held though they don’t get that edge open. That play was right in front of me. Row 16.
Could be. I sat in not my usual seat and need to watch my dvr. Haven't had the stomach for it yet.

Now I know big bert compliments of NU aren't sincere because he said we had good kicking

Reactions: dinglefritz
Not defending anyone or making a case for amy of the FG kickers. But could be a bunch of variables / questions to consider.
1) when was Alvano ruled out for the game? If the day of the game, maybe Hohl wasn’t as mentally prepared as he should have been.
2) who had the best week of practice, assuming all the kickers were available? Rhule has seemed to play those that aren’t making mistakes in practice.
3) what is the accuracy percentage in practice? (Corresponds with #2).
4) what type of coaching (physical and mental) are the kickers getting during the game?
5) do we have the right person in the game who is the holder? How are they performing in their duties?

I am more inclined to think it is more coaching at this point, which is affecting the mentality of the kickers. All have the physical ability to be a consistent FG kicker from <45-50 yards — but will admit some of the above have me worried.

Reactions: king_kong_
Could be. I sat in not my usual seat and need to watch my dvr. Haven't had the stomach for it yet.

Now I know big bert compliments of NU aren't sincere because he said we had good kicking
I haven't watched a replay yet either. Trying to get over the nausea caused by losing that while watching our defense get steamrolled. OSU is going to put up 70 on us.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Not defending anyone or making a case for amy of the FG kickers. But could be a bunch of variables / questions to consider.
1) when was Alvano ruled out for the game? If the day of the game, maybe Hohl wasn’t as mentally prepared as he should have been.
2) who had the best week of practice, assuming all the kickers were available? Rhule has seemed to play those that aren’t making mistakes in practice.
3) what is the accuracy percentage in practice? (Corresponds with #2).
4) what type of coaching (physical and mental) are the kickers getting during the game?
5) do we have the right person in the game who is the holder? How are they performing in their duties?

I am more inclined to think it is more coaching at this point, which is affecting the mentality of the kickers. All have the physical ability to be a consistent FG kicker from <45-50 yards — but will admit some of the above have me worried.
I think it was pure adrenaline. 19 year old lifelong Husker fan walk on trying to kick a game winning field goal in front of 93K fans. I really think it's that simple. I doubt he's slept since Friday night or if he has he wakes up in a cold sweat thinking about that kick. He probably makes that 10/10 in practice.

Finally. An answer from an expert. However, I do think Ruhle mentioned the laces to defend the kicker, but i realize he might have done that just to tone down the criticism and let the kid know he has his back.

I was starting to blame myself for sitting slightly to the right of my TV screen — thought it might have caused the kicker to overcompensate and pull it to the left of my tv screen.
We're going to need him going forward and Rhule was no doubt trying to deflect some blame. The kid was too pumped up and hooked it a little. He's not the first pro or college kicker to miss a chip shot that way. I'm confident he'll make field goals for us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT