ADVERTISEMENT

FBS College Football is the only sports organization in history...

Aug 28, 2018
...that denies half of their teams a chance to play in the playoffs. Let that sink in.

From pee wee, to high school, to every other college division, to the pros, to volleyball, to basketball, to dart throwing, to tiddlywinks, to Australian rules football, to cricket, to hockey, to baseball, and every other sport you can think of, every single team has a shot at the championship.

There are approximately 50 teams in FBS that could win all of their games, pound everyone they play, and still not be able to play for a championship.

...that denies half of their teams a chance to play in the playoffs. Let that sink in.

From pee wee, to high school, to every other college division, to the pros, to volleyball, to basketball, to dart throwing, to tiddlywinks, to Australian rules football, to cricket, to hockey, to baseball, and every other sport you can think of, every single team has a shot at the championship.

There are approximately 50 teams in FBS that could win all of their games, pound everyone they play, and still not be able to play for a championship.
Are you advocating for those 50 teams to be in the final four? Because that’s the way it’s set up for now. As long as there is a 4 team playoff, how many of those 50 teams should be given a shot?

Reactions: HuskerO
Are you advocating for those 50 teams to be in the final four? Because that’s the way it’s set up for now. As long as there is a 4 team playoff, how many of those 50 teams should be given a shot?
If you are in a sports league (and these teams pay mightily to be in one...FBS football costs these non-power 5 universities millions unlike the Power 5 football teams that actually make money), you should have a chance to play for the championship.

It happens in every other sports league that has ever existed.

Reactions: bigredhunter

It’s a unique setup that isn’t conducive to every team having a shot. There are too many teams and too wide of a spectrum of talent. The regular season is only 12 games. There are so many teams that a team like UCF can not play a legit team all year and go undefeated. I would argue there are probably at least 20 teams that could be 12-0 with a non-P5 schedule. Other sports have longer regular seasons and are more suitable to large field playoffs. Expanding the playoff might be in the future but there’s only so large it can be before you’re asking these kids to play too many games.

The only real solution I see would be to just acknowledge that only P5 teams (plus Notre Dame) are eligible. The other teams can either then form their own division and playoff or just accept their shot to play teams in bowl games.

Reactions: TheNewNU
That’s why the regular season is the most exciting and dramatic. I think an eight team playoff would be the best. Any more than eight would cheapen the regular season.
8 would absolutely cheapen the regular season.
4 already has.
There arent four teams deserving of a shot!
You people are trying to ruin the best refular season in sports AND ruin conferences. They are literally becoming meaningless. 8 teams would put the nail in the coffin.
Who is the 9th team left out??
And why should Alabama or Clemson have to play ANOTHER game against some 2 or 3 loss team and risk injury etc. when they have already proven to be the best. Why go undefeated?
There is no perfect system, PERIOD. There will always be what ifs and flaws. Always. find the system that protects conferences AND the tegular season.
We used to have that, but the stupid big 10 just had to play in the rose bowl.

Reactions: GILL T and HuskerO
People remember until the southern schools are made to change it ain't happening. They run college football, could you see Alabama or Clemson or Miami coming up north to play a Nebraska Wisconsin Michigan if they happened to be a hire seed in December like all the other playoffs are designed? The bowl system was actually better than this joke of a playoff system, imo

What about a 6 team format?

2 play in games, two slots that are reserved for non-P5 conference teams (the best of the rest) playing the two bottom tier power 5 teams. Then into the regular 4 team play off

4 already has.
You people are trying to ruin the best refular season in sports AND ruin conferences. They are literally becoming meaningless. 8 teams would put the nail in the coffin.
And why should Alabama or Clemson have to play ANOTHER game against some 2 or 3 loss team and risk injury etc. when they have already proven to be the best. Why go undefeated?
There is no perfect system, PERIOD. There will always be what ifs and flaws. Always. find the system that protects conferences AND the tegular season.

How does 8 cheapen the playoff? C’mon every Power 5 champion should be in the playoff not one should be left out regardless what their record is because the CCG is a playoff game and the winner should have a chance to play for the National title..

You can still have 2 at large that were deserving and rewarded for their record..UCF deserves a shot they haven’t lost a game in 25 tries regardless if they have played enough power 5 conference teams..

There are only about 70-80 teams or so that should be FBS honestly. Put the Boises and UCFs of the world in better conferences and have the rest move down to FCS. Would get better games that way and everyone would have a shot at the title. No one wants to watch Alabama play some hapless Sun Belt team. I know it's not feasible for economic and other reasons but I wouldn't mind if it happened.

Reactions: saluno22
It’s a unique setup that isn’t conducive to every team having a shot. There are too many teams and too wide of a spectrum of talent. The regular season is only 12 games. There are so many teams that a team like UCF can not play a legit team all year and go undefeated. I would argue there are probably at least 20 teams that could be 12-0 with a non-P5 schedule. Other sports have longer regular seasons and are more suitable to large field playoffs. Expanding the playoff might be in the future but there’s only so large it can be before you’re asking these kids to play too many games.

The only real solution I see would be to just acknowledge that only P5 teams (plus Notre Dame) are eligible. The other teams can either then form their own division and playoff or just accept their shot to play teams in bowl games.
I used to agree with the bold part for a while, then you look at every other NCAA division (the ones with fewer scholarships or no scholarships in the case of D-3) and the NFL. The "they would be playing too many games" argument rings hollow with me. We're not asking them to play 20 games, but a couple extra on top of the current arrangement, and it wouldn't even be every team.

EDIT: With a 4-team playoff, the P5 needs to just call it what it is and break off from FBS. The fact that a team can win 25 in a row (23 against FBS teams) and not even sniff the playoff is a travesty of a system that provides no objective path to a championship "because the regular season is only 12 games".

Reactions: 9and4
How does 8 cheapen the playoff? C’mon every Power 5 champion should be in the playoff not one should be left out regardless what their record is because the CCG is a playoff game and the winner should have a chance to play for the National title..

You can still have 2 at large that were deserving and rewarded for their record..UCF deserves a shot they haven’t lost a game in 25 tries regardless if they have played enough power 5 conference teams..
It cheapes the regular season!
Youre wrong.
If northwestern won last night theres no way they deserve a shot! They lost to akron and duke!! In the old system they would be automatically eliminated, and so would have OSU because if you didnt win your conference you werent winning the NC.
Washington being pac 10 champ doesnt deserve a shot either with 3 losses.
Alabama should not have to go play them. They have earned the right to playin the Nc by going through a power five conference undefeated and winning said conference. they shouldnt have to risk injury against some 3 loss team.
In my opinion the only teams who have anything worth complaining about are the teams who are undefeated. If you have one loss you have zero case. Dont lose. The reglar season and conference games should be the playoff, and they used to be. Go to 8 teams and the quality of the product severly diminishes. And who gets those two autos you speak of?? The point is that yes UCF has a gripe but these gripes will happen regardless of system, yes even in an 8 team playoff. There is no perfect system, so i say protect the regular season.
Only this year should count for UCF. And they have played nobody. Having said that, my 4 would be alabama, clemson, ND, and UCF. Oklahoma could be in for ND, but again, dont lose.
Now my 4 is rightly up for debate. Because no matter the system, these debates will exist!!

What about a 6 team format?

2 play in games, two slots that are reserved for non-P5 conference teams (the best of the rest) playing the two bottom tier power 5 teams. Then into the regular 4 team play off
Why should non power five teams get two guaranteed spots? What about years when there is no UcF (98 years out of 100).

Why should non power five teams get two guaranteed spots? What about years when there is no UcF (98 years out of 100).

then make it 1 although most years 1 is already ND, so ND + 1 is what it should be IMO. honestly, it's a made up playoff anyway. If any of the P5 teams freak they should face the fact that they should easily win. Either way it eliminates the issues we see with the speculation.

maybe 1 non-P5 and then the champion from all 5 conferences.

People remember until the southern schools are made to change it ain't happening. They run college football, could you see Alabama or Clemson or Miami coming up north to play a Nebraska Wisconsin Michigan if they happened to be a hire seed in December like all the other playoffs are designed? The bowl system was actually better than this joke of a playoff system, imo

Pretty much. The Cam Newton thing pretty much showed us what the NCAA thinks of the SEC

huskerfan1414, well if you’re going after the top 8 teams then F the conference CCG they are meaningless...But that is why they divided up into divisions to have a conference championship.

Alabama and the SEC only play 8 conference games and that is a factor even ask Frost on that..
I totally disagree with you..

4 already has.
It cheapes the regular season!
Youre wrong.
If northwestern won last night theres no way they deserve a shot! They lost to akron and duke!! In the old system they would be automatically eliminated, and so would have OSU because if you didnt win your conference you werent winning the NC.
Washington being pac 10 champ doesnt deserve a shot either with 3 losses.
Alabama should not have to go play them. They have earned the right to playin the Nc by going through a power five conference undefeated and winning said conference. they shouldnt have to risk injury against some 3 loss team.
In my opinion the only teams who have anything worth complaining about are the teams who are undefeated. If you have one loss you have zero case. Dont lose. The reglar season and conference games should be the playoff, and they used to be. Go to 8 teams and the quality of the product severly diminishes. And who gets those two autos you speak of?? The point is that yes UCF has a gripe but these gripes will happen regardless of system, yes even in an 8 team playoff. There is no perfect system, so i say protect the regular season.
Only this year should count for UCF. And they have played nobody. Having said that, my 4 would be alabama, clemson, ND, and UCF. Oklahoma could be in for ND, but again, dont lose.
Now my 4 is rightly up for debate. Because no matter the system, these debates will exist!!
What about non-conference champions playing for national titles? That happened in the "old system":
2001: #1 Miami (Big East Champs) vs. #2 Nebraska (At-Large)
2003: #2 LSU (SEC Champs) vs. #1 Oklahoma (At-Large)
2011: #2 Alabama (At-Large) vs. #1 LSU (SEC Champs, also beat Alabama head-to-head in the regular season)
2012: #2 Alabama (SEC Champs) vs. #1 Notre Dame (not affiliated with a conference)

Or under the playoff system:
2016: Ohio State qualified for the playoff without winning their division.
2017: Alabama qualified for the playoff without winning their division.
2018: Notre Dame will qualify for the playoff without playing a CCG (which as you point out, extra games add risk of injury in addition to risk of loss)

If you can't win your conference, should you really be considered for the national championship? Albeit, all conferences are not equal, we can all agree on that. But there is a system whereby contractually certain games have to happen even if people believe one or two teams are far superior to the rest of the potential field. If there's one team that is perceived to be far and away better than any other team, should we just cancel the playoff or MNC game and declare them the champion? Why should they have to risk injury playing ANY games if there's a consensus that they are the best?

Then there are years where there is no clearly superior team(s) and maybe an expanded field is warranted.

$$$ for the games to happen, and $$$ for the debates to rage on. Controversy is good for business. Agree that there is no "perfect" system.

EDIT: Going back to the old, old system, there were often years when the top two teams didn't even play each other in bowls and lower-ranked teams had the potential to influence the MNC debate (thinking specifically of a couple Nebraska games against Miami in the Orange Bowl and against Georgia Tech in the Citrus Bowl off the top of my head).

ND shouldn’t be eligible. Either that or P5 teams don’t have to play in CCG if they’re already in the top 4.

Reactions: Clemke32
huskerfan1414, well if you’re going after the top 8 teams then F the conference CCG they are meaningless...But that is why they divided up into divisions to have a conference championship.

Alabama and the SEC only play 8 conference games and that is a factor even ask Frost on that..
I totally disagree with you..
Wait..what?
You want to get rid of conferences?
Youre proving my point and dont realize it.

What about non-conference champions playing for national titles? That happened in the "old system":
2001: #1 Miami (Big East Champs) vs. #2 Nebraska (At-Large)
2003: #2 LSU (SEC Champs) vs. #1 Oklahoma (At-Large)
2011: #2 Alabama (At-Large) vs. #1 LSU (SEC Champs, also beat Alabama head-to-head in the regular season)
2012: #2 Alabama (SEC Champs) vs. #1 Notre Dame (not affiliated with a conference)

Or under the playoff system:
2016: Ohio State qualified for the playoff without winning their division.
2017: Alabama qualified for the playoff without winning their division.
2018: Notre Dame will qualify for the playoff without playing a CCG (which as you point out, extra games add risk of injury in addition to risk of loss)

If you can't win your conference, should you really be considered for the national championship? Albeit, all conferences are not equal, we can all agree on that. But there is a system whereby contractually certain games have to happen even if people believe one or two teams are far superior to the rest of the potential field. If there's one team that is perceived to be far and away better than any other team, should we just cancel the playoff or MNC game and declare them the champion? Why should they have to risk injury playing ANY games if there's a consensus that they are the best?

Then there are years where there is no clearly superior team(s) and maybe an expanded field is warranted.

$$$ for the games to happen, and $$$ for the debates to rage on. Controversy is good for business. Agree that there is no "perfect" system.

EDIT: Going back to the old, old system, there were often years when the top two teams didn't even play each other in bowls and lower-ranked teams had the potential to influence the MNC debate (thinking specifically of a couple Nebraska games against Miami in the Orange Bowl and against Georgia Tech in the Citrus Bowl off the top of my head).
2001 on was bcs. The problem we were told with that was non conference champs playing for NC. And I agree. And now here we are again. The point is that playoffs didnt solve anything, if anything made things worse, and 8 teams wont solve anything.
The regular season IS the playoff and needs to be treated as such!

I will say the "powers that be" have been very fluid in their criteria regarding the importance of CCGs (CFP) and conference play performance (basketball at large spots). Almost like they shift their attitudes to put certain teams in.

Set objective metrics to reach the playoffs for every team, then everyone can shut up about prejudice about making the field and start complaining about how host sites are determined.

How does 8 cheapen the playoff? C’mon every Power 5 champion should be in the playoff
I think you just answered your own question. Could you imagine if somehow Pitt and NW pulled off a crazy upset? Then you'd have Washington, Pitt and NW in this 8 team playoff scenario.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I think you just answered your own question. Could you imagine if somehow Pitt and NW pulled off a crazy upset? Then you'd have Washington, Pitt and NW in this 8 team playoff scenario.
Plus a three loss washington team does not deserve a shot, im sorry. If a three loss team has earned a shot get ready for the end of the best regular season in sports, already harmed...

Reactions: HuskerO
There are not 8 teams in football deserving of a chance for a NC. There never has been. Never will be. This is insanity.

Reactions: CDMXHusker
Just wonder why the group of five teams don’t just join in together and take some kind of legal action... take the NCAA and their crooked systems to someplace they can be held accountable... there needs to be some kind of change here I’m not claiming to have the answers but I do think all conference champs need a shot to play for the tital... I’d say confrence championship week should be first round of playoffs and from there the champions get seeded and start playing it out.

2001 on was bcs. The problem we were told with that was non conference champs playing for NC. And I agree. And now here we are again. The point is that playoffs didnt solve anything, if anything made things worse, and 8 teams wont solve anything.
The regular season IS the playoff and needs to be treated as such!
I agree 2001 was the BCS, as was 2003, 2011, and 2012. I agree that the playoffs weren't a cure all, but I disagree with the remainder of your post.

Regarding the playoff making things worse, that is debatable. How many years in the BCS were there more than two teams that had a reasonable claim that they should be considered for the BCS title game? To that degree, the CFP has been positive. The perceived negative is it now moves the bar on who should have a chance at the title/playoff a little lower, especially because the #4 seed has won it twice (2014/2015 Ohio State and 2017/2018 Alabama) out of its four seasons in existence. Now more teams stake a claim to being deserving of a chance.

The regular season being a playoff is up for debate. Because there is such a small data set, it is difficult to make comparisons between teams that don't play each other. Or when you have common opponents, it's not unfathomable for one team to have an off day but still win while another team is firing on all cylinders against the common opponent. It happens every season.

You want to go back to the old system. I'm still unclear on what you mean by this, do you mean the BCS, bowl alliance, bowl coalition, or the pre-coalition free-for-all? I assume you mean a system that pits 1v2 and only 1v2 at the end of the bowls (no playoff), with no strict bowl ties that would preclude a team from a given conference from participating in a 1v2 matchup (like the Rose Bowl was with the Big Ten and Pac). What metrics are used in determining the top two teams? College football polls are a popularity contest, and as the computers "got it wrong" in the BCS, the BCS started putting more weight on the polls again.

We'll both agree, there is no "perfect" system. I've stated it a few times, I am all for an objective path to a national title for all teams, which would mean playoff expansion. If that means an 9-4 Northwestern (had they upset Ohio State yesterday) or 8-5 Wisconsin in 2011 (obviously an extremely special circumstance given OSU's and PSU's NCAA sanctions that season), so be it. They would still need to beat 2-3 other great teams in the playoff to be crowned the national champion. You are for playoff contraction and having titles decided to a larger degree off the field.

EDIT: The biggest problem is the variability from year to year of the number of teams "deserving" of consideration for a national title. Because of all the contracts and logistics, it would be nearly impossible to have a variable-size playoff field.

Wait..what?
You want to get rid of conferences?
Youre proving my point and dont realize it.

No that is what your referring too by just putting in the Best records of 8 teams that way toy don’t need to screw with a CCG..

Last edited:
Just wonder why the group of five teams don’t just join in together and take some kind of legal action... take the NCAA and their crooked systems to someplace they can be held accountable... there needs to be some kind of change here I’m not claiming to have the answers but I do think all conference champs need a shot to play for the tital... I’d say confrence championship week should be first round of playoffs and from there the champions get seeded and start playing it out.

So you really think that the small conferences deserve a national title shot? Northern Illinois...got drubbed by Iowa, Florida state and Utah. Put em in! There’s no case for them to be given a shot

Reactions: huskerfan1414
So you really think that the small conferences deserve a national title shot? Northern Illinois...got drubbed by Iowa, Florida state and Utah. Put em in! There’s no case for them to be given a shot

Yes I do think they deserve a shot, no reason not to, injuries happen all the time, if these conferences are truly weaker then there is no issue there the stronger teams will win... and if you don’t win your confrence you have no reason to be playing for a tital you have to show up every week that’s what the good teams do.

Because they are still making enough money to keep themselves satiated, moreso than they would be earning in the FCS.

Also yes I see what your point is but you over look the single obvious reason to put them in... that reason is to give every team a FAIR shot at the tital... you can’t win a tital that you don’t have a chance to play for. For your northern illinoises and FSUs there are your Boise states and UCFs for ever team there is no case for them to be involved there is a team that has a case to be involved...

Reactions: 8lack5hirt
You could say the same about a lot of NCAA men's basketball champions. There was a season when UConn finished 9th (I think, I remember they went 9-9 in conference and finished near the middle) in the Big East and won the national championship. I don't think a lot of people had a problem with that for the simple reason that the NCAA basketball field is MUCH larger than the CFP field.

About 20% of Division 1 makes the basketball tournament. The CFP represents only about 3% of FBS.

If you are in a sports league (and these teams pay mightily to be in one...FBS football costs these non-power 5 universities millions unlike the Power 5 football teams that actually make money), you should have a chance to play for the championship.

It happens in every other sports league that has ever existed.
Need to change the system to a much larger playoff for what you are looking for. 4 team playoffs do not allow for 50+ possible participants.

I agree 2001 was the BCS, as was 2003, 2011, and 2012. I agree that the playoffs weren't a cure all, but I disagree with the remainder of your post.

Regarding the playoff making things worse, that is debatable. How many years in the BCS were there more than two teams that had a reasonable claim that they should be considered for the BCS title game? To that degree, the CFP has been positive. The perceived negative is it now moves the bar on who should have a chance at the title/playoff a little lower, especially because the #4 seed has won it twice (2014/2015 Ohio State and 2017/2018 Alabama) out of its four seasons in existence. Now more teams stake a claim to being deserving of a chance.

The regular season being a playoff is up for debate. Because there is such a small data set, it is difficult to make comparisons between teams that don't play each other. Or when you have common opponents, it's not unfathomable for one team to have an off day but still win while another team is firing on all cylinders against the common opponent. It happens every season.

You want to go back to the old system. I'm still unclear on what you mean by this, do you mean the BCS, bowl alliance, bowl coalition, or the pre-coalition free-for-all? I assume you mean a system that pits 1v2 and only 1v2 at the end of the bowls (no playoff), with no strict bowl ties that would preclude a team from a given conference from participating in a 1v2 matchup (like the Rose Bowl was with the Big Ten and Pac). What metrics are used in determining the top two teams? College football polls are a popularity contest, and as the computers "got it wrong" in the BCS, the BCS started putting more weight on the polls again.

We'll both agree, there is no "perfect" system. I've stated it a few times, I am all for an objective path to a national title for all teams, which would mean playoff expansion. If that means an 9-4 Northwestern (had they upset Ohio State yesterday) or 8-5 Wisconsin in 2011 (obviously an extremely special circumstance given OSU's and PSU's NCAA sanctions that season), so be it. They would still need to beat 2-3 other great teams in the playoff to be crowned the national champion. You are for playoff contraction and having titles decided to a larger degree off the field.

EDIT: The biggest problem is the variability from year to year of the number of teams "deserving" of consideration for a national title. Because of all the contracts and logistics, it would be nearly impossible to have a variable-size playoff field.
I did not like the BCS to answer your question about that.
There is one point that I need to make clear: i believe if you have even one loss, you have no room to complain about anything. None.
I say this knowing full well that there are years where there are only one undefeated or no undefeated teams. It becomes subjective at that point (as any system is, including an 8 team playoff). But again, win your games.

Im ok with a 4 team playoff although I knew that
a) it wouldnt solve anything and b) some years there arent four teams deserving.
I wish it were possible to have a varying playoff field, or a plus one game system if one is needed. Probably impossible. Wont solve the issue.
BUT NOTHING WILL.
Im sorry, 8 teams is so rediculous to me. A 2 or 3 or more loss team having a shot at the NC absolutely ruins the regular season. Theres no reward for winning all your games.
My injury statement is an important one. Others have said injuries happen in the regular season too. True but heres the difference. Younmake it through your regular and conferene season unblemished and have earned a shot at the NC, only to have to play a 3 or 4 loss team with equal shot as you? Then your qb gets hurt and the entire offseason is a big "what if" or asterisk discussion. A three loss team has not earned the right. At all.
The regular season does function as a playoff. Lose to purdue? Out.
Yes I want to go back to the old system, with changes.
Do you remember how great it was? New years day when all the conference champs would play in major bowls and some years it was obvious who would win, others a few bowls could swing the outcome, no one knew who would be NC. Some of That was not healthy, but only because of bowl allegiances. 2 loss conference champs knew they had no shot at NC but still played for their bowl or to ruin someone elses chance. How come you never heard the term "meaningless bowls" before the four team playoffs? I hear it all the time now. Why did we never hear it before?
My proposal would be 1v2 and 3v4 as we do now, but no bowl allegiances unless it works out, which is what we do now. However, the big difference is this: dont win your conference, you cannot be NC. That makes it different than the playoff we have now.
After the bowl games it comes down to a vote just like the old days. Your bowl performance matters.
Is it perfect? HELL NO. Does it reward teams who dont lose or only lose 1 game? HELL YES! Does it reward conference champs,while still preventing 2-3-4 loss conference champs from having an undeserved shot at NC? HELL YES!
Therefore it protects the regular season and conference championships while still maintaining a degree of sanity.
Is it perfect? No. But no system is! My goal is to protect best regular season in sports and also conference integrity.
An 8 team playoff would be catastrophic. If you must, keep it at 4 teams. Go ahead and vote ND out of contention for no conference game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT