ADVERTISEMENT

False Starts

pascal

Sophomore
Aug 26, 2022
I don't get a chance to watch a lot of college football but did this last weekend. We lament our lack of discipline, but man, it's all over. Or I just happened to find a glut.
Alabama down to the lesser teams. False starts are an epidemic. What's going on?

I don't get a chance to watch a lot of college football but did this last weekend. We lament our lack of discipline, but man, it's all over. Or I just happened to find a glut.
Alabama down to the lesser teams. False starts are an epidemic. What's going on?
I don’t watch many high profile games but I did notice it during a Bama game earlier this fall. It might have been against UT, the Bama O line has multiple false starts. I wonder if some DCs are spending more practice time on inducing false starts

I've said many times that penalties are an overrated stat to look at. Many times there are elite teams that have a lot of penalties. Not saying it's a good thing but not as detrimental as many think. That said Nebraska has a smaller room for error as elite teams right now.

If you don't get to watch a ton of games how do you know it is all over?

It comes down to discipline, holding your water it is sometimes called. Teams can spend a lot of time on different snap counts long - short, lots of noise, D players stemming and all of that. Yes, it can be practiced and should be.

Reactions: king_kong_
I've said many times that penalties are an overrated stat to look at. Many times there are elite teams that have a lot of penalties. Not saying it's a good thing but not as detrimental as many think. That said Nebraska has a smaller room for error as elite teams right now.
Nebraska is not an elite team and needs every edge it can get. Miami used to get a 15 yard penalty for egregious behavior it seemed once a quarter. Meanwhile they were beating the living crap out of their opponent. They could get away with it and the attitude and extra aggressiveness was in their favor. If you are both highly talented and disciplined it can lead to awful things, such as being one of the best teams of all time.

Reactions: Truewooper
Didin't Rhule say that some of these penalties were from the defense drawing them offsides by calling out DL stems when in the cadence was going on. Those should be called by the referee. Seemed like this was called during some games I watched on Saturday,

According to the play-by-play transcripts on ESPN.com for Nebraska's 6 games so far this year, we've had 38 total penalties. 21 of those penalties were on the offense. At least 8 of those penalties were by non-linemen which leaves at most 13 penalties (ESPN didn't always list the culprit so I included false starts without an identity as an OL when in reality, it may have been a WR, RB or TE). I broke them down as 9 false starts, 2 holding, and 2 personal fouls. Unfortunately, our offense isn't capable of overcoming much so all our offensive penalties come at a bad time.

An inability to pick up 3rd and 9 makes every mistake bigger than it would be for a better offense.

Reactions: dinglefritz

Agreed, but I also think it depends on how your team is built. If you’re built to have an explosive spread type offense and a defense that takes risks to pressure the passer and create turnovers/negative plays, then yes. Teams that average 6-8 yds per play and create a lot of turnovers on defense can often times overcome that penalty yardage. Teams that play like iowa and Wisconsin(pre-fickel) can have a tough time overcoming those penalty yards.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT