ADVERTISEMENT

Fall camp..time to get dialed N!!

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/thursday-notebook-no-clear-picture-at-no-2-qb-spot
Just when you thought the competition was settled and done for the 2017 season, offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf went ahead and spiced things up in a big way on Thursday.

While junior Tanner Lee is still the clear starter, Langsdorf said it was much less clear who would be his top backup once the season opener against Arkansas State rolls around.

Even though Lee went head-to-head with redshirt freshman Patrick O’Brien for the starting role this spring, Langsdorf said it was now an even battle between O’Brien and true freshman Tristan Gebbia for the No. 2 spot nearly two weeks into fall camp.

“Not totally clear,” Langsdorf said when asked if there was a clear No. 2 at this point. “I think those guys being as young as they are, they make rookie mistakes. They’ve really gotten a lot of similar reps, and it’s very close that way. So it’s not clear-cut.”

Nebraska practiced inside Memorial Stadium on Thursday and did a lot of situational scrimmage work. While all three quarterbacks had their moments, Gebbia arguably may have been the sharpest of all.

Langsdorf has always stressed that not one practice or game would be the ultimate defining factor in any position battle, and he again said Gebbia and O’Brien both still had their share of work to left to do.

“They’ve both had their days,” Langsdorf said. “They’ve both had good days and then they’ve had some freshman blunders, so we've just got to keep getting them work. I like where they’re at, they just have to be a little bit more consistent day to day.”

- Robin Washut

The scenario would really work out if Gebbia won the back up position and O'Brien transferred. Just saying.

Don't kill me.

Wouldn't it work out better if everyone stayed?

Sure. But the likelihood of that happening isn't all that great.

I would like to see Gebbia get snaps ASAP. RS marginal QBs not good ones.

If Patrick wants to stay and back him up. Great. But I doubt it.

Sure. But the likelihood of that happening isn't all that great.

I would like to see Gebbia get snaps ASAP. RS marginal QBs not good ones.

If Patrick wants to stay and back him up. Great. But I doubt it.

Gee... wonder if Ohio State would have won their latest national title without A couple of studs backing up their stud... the fact of the matter is that for, perhaps, the first time in program history we have 3 guys who have the potential to play at the next level. Why would we want any of them to transfer??? They are all just a few snaps from being the starter, and we need all three. Otherwise we run the risk of running a walk on out on the field in a critical game...we saw that last year. We need all the talent and depth we can get at every position, if we want to compete for titles. call me crazy, but over the past decade I'm convinced our number 1's are as good as just about any in the country. If we could just play 1's vs 1's all the time, I think NU would have been top 20 most of the past decade. The problem is that's not reality. The difference between champions and the rest is depth. When we got to our number 2's over the past decade there is a significant drop in talent. The truth is, the P5 teams competing for championships have depth. The talent gap between the 1st team and the 2nd and 3rd team is minimal. If we want to compete for titles then our depth is key. Think back to the 90's. Tommy Frazier goes down, Brook Barringer steps up, and behind him is Scott Frost. Would you want any of them to transfer??? I hope all three stay, because all three will contribute, and all three will likely contribute in a significant way.

Reactions: HuskerO
BrW0qjl5_bigger.jpg
Connor Happer @ConnorHapper

#Huskers Mike Riley raved about the TE group today. Thought it may have been a situation where they'd just have to get by. Not anymore.

1:14 PM - Aug 12, 2017

Nebraska finished its Saturday practice just before 1 p.m. starting the day with situational drills before progressing to a 90-play scrimmage.

Coach Mike Riley liked some of the work done by his offense, particularly the offensive line, which Riley said took a step up Saturday. The offense was efficient, Riley said, in its play-action passes and on third down.

Quick notes from scrimmage:

>> Running back Tre Bryant returned to camp after missing practice the last two days. Riley said if Nebraska doesn't have a clear-cut leader at running back by the end of next week, NU will go with a rotation. Riley said he has an "idea" of what he wants to do, but it's not clear yet. So next week.

>> Wide receiver JD Spielman didn't practice Saturday, Riley said, but had been consistently making jumps before then and was an example of a young player exuding more confidence on the field. Other players in that category: Linebacker Mohamed Barry, linebacker Dedrick Young, and defensive line twins Carlos and Khalil Davis.

>> Freshman receiver Tyjon Lindsey made a jump Saturday, Riley said, and needs to keep developing. The key for Lindsey, Riley said, is to know his assignments so he doesn't play "tentative."

>> Quarterback Tristan Gebbia gets his own category, because Riley loves the work the true freshman is doing. Riley said he thinks Gebbia would be game-ready this fall if he's needed — he won't be so long as
starter Tanner Lee stays healthy — because Gebbia has picked the game up quickly and works as hard at the job as coaches do.

Gebbia also has rare vision for a freshman, Riley said, and makes throws that cause the coach to say "oh-mi-gosh."

Asked if Gebbia had shown him anything in camp that moves Riley off of his preference to redshirt him, Riley said, "Yes."

>> Patrick O'Brien, ostensibly the backup quarterback, had a strong day, leading "two great drives" during the scrimmage. Riley continues to be bullish on his quarterback room.
>> Riley also said he thinks the Husker tight ends can be more than just serviceable this season, but major factors. He praised senior Tyler Hoppes — who has stepped into his role, Riley said, "like a man" — and younger tight ends Jack Stoll, Matt Snyder and walk-on Brandon Hohenstein.

>> Riley continued to praise his team's "no drama" attitude and chemistry in camp.

Gee... wonder if Ohio State would have won their latest national title without A couple of studs backing up their stud... the fact of the matter is that for, perhaps, the first time in program history we have 3 guys who have the potential to play at the next level. Why would we want any of them to transfer??? They are all just a few snaps from being the starter, and we need all three. Otherwise we run the risk of running a walk on out on the field in a critical game...we saw that last year. We need all the talent and depth we can get at every position, if we want to compete for titles. call me crazy, but over the past decade I'm convinced our number 1's are as good as just about any in the country. If we could just play 1's vs 1's all the time, I think NU would have been top 20 most of the past decade. The problem is that's not reality. The difference between champions and the rest is depth. When we got to our number 2's over the past decade there is a significant drop in talent. The truth is, the P5 teams competing for championships have depth. The talent gap between the 1st team and the 2nd and 3rd team is minimal. If we want to compete for titles then our depth is key. Think back to the 90's. Tommy Frazier goes down, Brook Barringer steps up, and behind him is Scott Frost. Would you want any of them to transfer??? I hope all three stay, because all three will contribute, and all three will likely contribute in a significant way.

Me too.

—Akinmoladun dropped a pretty revealing quote about the difference of Diaco leading the defense. "In the beginning when he first came, most of us weren't prepared for his intensity level." The junior defensive end added: "He's just a great guy and great coach, and really has that burning fire that's within him that's one of a kind."

—Don't forget about redshirt freshman cornerback DiCaprio Bootle. Definitely not. As cornerbacks coach Donte Williams said, he considers Bootle "one of our three starting corners." Bootle is a sharp customer. When asked for a word to explain his mindset, he said, "Focused."
Trent Bray said Quayshon Alexander is buried a little bit at the DOG spot with Luke Gifford, Marcus Newby and Tyrin Ferguson ahead of him, but he's excited about the athleticism of the linebacker and he's spent time talking with him about continuing to work, develop and take advantage of reps.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT