ADVERTISEMENT

Fall camp..time to get dialed N!!

Diaco: "We all collectively believe that safety is his natural position...he is and or will one of the best safeties in the country, if not the very best best."

Booker: "He is staying at safety (not going relace of Chris Jones)"

Translation: Kalu is staying at safety because we will be just fine at the cornerback spots. In order to maybe give some confidence to the inexperience that we will be leaning on without Chris Jones.

Erin Sorensen‏Verified account@erinsorensen 23m23 minutes ago

Tanner Lee just signed a baby. #Huskerspic.twitter.com/07TeveY6os

DF8EurmUwAAMQ5v.jpg

4:13 PM - 29 Jul 2017
That's what I was waiting to see. I'm calling it, championship. SO glad to see them getting back to signing babies like they did when T.O. was in charge! GBR!!!

Reactions: dinglefritz
http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...al&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share
1. Watch 7-on-7 passing drills and you'll notice something very quickly.

Nebraska's top three quarterbacks -- Tanner Lee, Patrick O'Brien and Tristan Gebbia -- seldom are far off-target. They're usually very accurate. You just see a lot of excellent passing work. If you're a Husker fan looking for reasons why this team could surprise pundits this season, you might start there.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/...cle_5d6e4838-787a-11e7-8e46-9355b5d63cb1.html
SEEN: A clear first- and second-team offensive lines. The top line, left tackle to right tackle, is Nick Gates, Jerald Foster, Cole Conrad, Tanner Farmer and David Knevel. The No. 2 line is Christian Gaylord, John Raridon, Michael Decker, Boe Wilson and Matt Farniok.

SEEN: Six clear top receivers: Stanley Morgan, Pierson-El, JD Spielman, Keyan Williams, Lindsey and Bryan Reimers. Williams and Spielman are in the slot.
SEEN: During a goal line drill, a perfect pass from quarterback Tanner Lee to a receiver for a touchdown. The receiver ran an in route and Lee delivered it in traffic.

SEEN: Lee tucking the ball and running after surveying the field for a pass in a goal-line situation.

SEEN: Backup quarterback Patrick O’Brien hitting tight end Matt Snyder in stride down the seam of the No. 2 defense. It was O’Brien’s best throw of the day. He’s been so-so in camp.

SEEN: Backup offensive tackle Matt Farniok locking up freshman linebacker Avery Roberts on a screen pass. Roberts wasn’t able to shake free.
SEEN: Another good day for Omaha Creighton Prep walk-on cornerback Jeremiah Stovall. He had an interception during a drill when he mirrored NU freshman Jaevon McQuitty, broke on the ball quickly and outmuscled McQuitty for the pick. Later, Stovall ran stride-for-stride with Conor Young on a go route, popping the ball free from Young as the two came down.

SEEN: Lamar Jackson playing a quick hitch pass to perfection, jumping all over the play and stuffing it for zero gain.

SEEN: A very good sequence for NU’s offensive linemen during the one-on-one pass rush drills. Many of the Huskers' younger defenders couldn’t make much of a dent on the starters — redshirt freshman defensive end Ben Stille had a good push, but he never got home. Among the younger offensive linemen, Brenden Jaimes had several good reps.

Last edited:
https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/nebraska-tyjon-lindsey-football-practice-camp
“He’s another explosive player [and] a really good route runner,” offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf said following Thursday’s practice. “He’s got good hands. He is what we thought he was in terms of talent. There’s no question. I think he’s a smart kid. He’s picking up things well.

“He’s spent a lot of time with Tristan [Gebbia] this summer studying, and it’s shown. It’s paying off for him. He’s taken a lot of reps already, which is going to be important for us at that flanker position with De’Mornay [Pierson-El].”

The decision to play Lindsey at the flanker position isn’t set in stone. Williams is open to moving him inside “if need be.” For now, Lindsey seems to fit the bill of what Williams wants on the outside.

“The body type stereotype doesn’t exist in a pro-style offense,” Williams said. “The slot wideout body type being short and quick, that’s more for a no-huddle type spread offense. With a pro-style offense, the outside guy can run routes. If you can run routes, you can be an outside guy.”

Aside from finding a home on the field, Lindsey has shown that he’s ready to play. From the day he got to Nebraska, his willingness to learn, participate and grow was apparent.

“He was ready to go,” Williams said. “He was ready to move on to the next level and next stage in his life.”

Notes from practice
• It may only be Day 5 of fall practice, but Langsdorf likes where the offense is, and says the carryover from spring has been good.

“We’ve thrown a lot at them, mostly review and a couple of tweaks, but for the most part we’ve handled it pretty well,” Langsdorf said. “As a group, we’re way further along just in the last couple of years. I think the experience with some of the veteran guys, we’ve been able to push that thing ahead quickly and it’s looked pretty good.”

• Quarterback Tanner Lee may be a new face in some ways, but he feels like a veteran to Langsdorf. Lee’s time on the scout team in 2016 was significant enough that Langsdorf hesitates to call him a new face.

“He was here all last year,” Langsdorf said. “He hadn’t played much for us, but he’s been around.”

• Langsdorf has been impressed with the young tight ends on the roster, especially redshirt freshman Jack Stoll and sophomore Matt Snyder. He feels both have come a long way in a short time at Nebraska.

“They’re physical. They’re tough. They’re smart,” Langsdorf said. “We’ve been throwing a lot at that group in the two-tight end formations and they’ve responded well.”

• Cole Conrad, who is working at the starting center spot, said the main thing he’s still trying to get down is recognizing defenses and calling the signals.

• Jerald Foster said he was happy to play last season, even if it wasn’t much after a knee injury took him out for a majority of the season. While he was able to play a bit in 2016, he’s using the first game of 2017 — and getting there healthy — as a big motivator.

• One of the more memorable quotes from practice came from Williams. While discussing Stanley Morgan Jr.’s arrest for marijuana possession this past spring, Williams spoke candidly about how players need to follow rules whether they agree with them or not.

“If the NCAA says no mayonnaise, you better start using mustard,”

There is a freshman catching the attention of coaches, players and media.

Last winter when wide receiver Tyjon Lindsey flipped from Ohio State to Nebraska, we all knew he was a highly rated 4-star wide receiver that was coveted by coaches around the country. We also could watch his film and see the electric speed that allowed him to break games open at the high school level.

You don’t know how quickly, if at all, those skills translate to the college game but so far the freshman from Las Vegas, Nevada, has earned rave reviews. According to Nebraska wide receivers coach Keith Williams though, this started back in the spring when Lindsey continued to bug him on how to get better quickly so he could see the field as a freshman.

“He was anxious; he knows that he has an opportunity," Williams said. "I told him that he has an opportunity to show me he could play as a true freshman. With me telling him that and him believing that could be possible, he was anxious. He was ready to go. He's ready to move on to the next stage of his life so, yeah, he was bugging me.”

It’s one thing to pester your coach during the offseason to get tips here and there. Once camp starts and you have practice and schoolwork while going through the same things any college freshman would go through, however, young players can get lost in the shuffle and hit a wall with their growth. So what does Coach Williams stress to his young wideouts?

“Just keep playing fast," he said. "They have to use their own time at home to get in the playbook. They know what’s coming the next day when we install and what we’ve already installed. Get in the book and use your own time. That’s the biggest thing these young guys don’t understand. When you go home to the dorm room, that’s not when you get on Instagram all night long. You need to read and review what has taken place and
what you know is going in the next day, so know that and just come out here and play fast. When you come out of the huddle, perform that particular job as fast as you can.”

Offensive coordination Danny Langsdorf also mentioned the time Lindsey spent studying during the summer.

“He’s another explosive player, a really good route-runner, he’s got good hands. He is what we thought he was in terms of talent; there’s no question. I think he’s a smart kid; he’s picking up things well. He spent a lot of time with Tristan [Gebbia] in the summer studying and it’s showing, it’s paying off for him. He’s taken a lot of reps already, which is going to be important for us at that flanker position with De’Mornay [Pierson-El].”

There’s no question that athletically Lindsey is prepared to play college football. The thing that should make Husker fans excited is something that keeps coming up with offensive coaches and players -- that Lindsey is a hard worker who asks a lot of good questions and wants to be great.

The first thing Coach Williams said about Lindsey post-practice on Thursday really set the tone for the discussion about the freshman.

“He’s not very good. He’s slow. He can’t catch. We missed the boat on Tyjon."

Just kidding. He looks like we thought he would look. The other part that you can’t predict and Husker fans are just hopeful for is that he’s smart and he’s conscientious and it means something to him. He goes out with intentions on getting better.

It’s that type of focus that gets players on the field early. https://hailvarsity.com/s/1800/lindsey-making-his-case-with-work-ethic-and-ability
More Football

Reactions: huskerfan1414
LINCOLN, Neb. — The Huskers donned the pads for day three of fall camp on Thursday morning with the media invited to observe the two-hour long practice. The pads may be on, but the players said they didn’t feel too much of a difference from the first couple of days.

“Maybe for the receivers, for people like that it’s different,” junior left guard Jerald Foster said. “I’d say our first day coming out, even when we have helmets on it’s hard-nosed football when it comes to the offensive line and defensive line. We all say we’re going to go soft and then slowly as practice goes on we just keep getting madder and madder at each other and it usually ends up with people still head-knocking.”

Senior wide receiver De’Mornay Pierson-El said practice has “been real since day one.”

The focus this early in camp has been on installation, and offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf said he has been pleased with what the team has accomplished so far.

“Pretty good carry over [from the spring],” Langsdorf said. “We’ve thrown a lot at them, mostly review and a couple tweaks, but I think for the most part we’ve handled it pretty well. As a group, we’re way further along than the last couple years. I think, experience with some of the veteran guys, we’ve been able to push that thing ahead quickly and it’s looked pretty good.”

>> One position that looked to be a question mark heading into fall camp was tight end. Tyler Hoppes established himself as the starter during the spring, but behind him the position looked to be pretty wide open. On Thursday, Langsdorf spoke highly of what redshirt sophomore Matt Snyder and redshirt freshman Jack Stoll have shown.

“The young group of tight ends I’ve been really pleased with,” Langsdorf said. “Jack Stoll, Matt Snyder, both of those kids have really come a long ways. They’re physical, they’re tough, they’re smart. We’ve been throwing a lot at that group in the two-tight end formations and they’ve responded well. I’ve been really pleased with that. I think Jack Stoll is a little bit more of an on-line, physical guy but he’s proven that he’s got soft hands and he runs pretty good routes. Snyder, I kind of think the same thing about him; he’s got some nasty to him. Both of them have been exciting to watch. I think that group is progressing along nicely.”

>> Tommy Armstrong Jr.’s ability to avoid pass rushers and scramble around in the
backfield prevented plenty of sacks over the last few years, but the unpredictability of where he was going to be did not make blocking any easier for the offensive line. Tanner Lee’s propensity to stay in the pocket creates an entirely different dynamic.

“I think that having that consistent pocket and consistent drops and footwork is going to help the line,” Langsdorf said. “Tanner’s good with that; he’s got good footwork, he’s not too deep or too shallow in the pocket. The line knowing exactly where he’s going to be is a huge deal. They want to protect for that launch-point spot. So I think that good footwork by the quarterback will help the protection along with getting rid of the ball quickly.”

>> On Wednesday night, former NFL quarterback and father of Huskers walk-on wide receiver Kade Warner tweeted that his son had fractured his hand. Langsdorf elected not to comment about the report as Coach Mike Riley (who will not address the media until Saturday) normally addresses injuries. Warner was at practice with a brace on his hand.

>> The running back race is wide open with returners Tre Bryant, Mikale Wilbon and Devine Ozigbo all getting reps. However, true freshman and Bellevue West product Jaylin Bradley has caught his coach’s eye as well.

“He’s really athletic; he’s talented that way which stood out to me,” Langsdorf said. “He’s got a ways to go in learning and understanding what we’re doing, but he’s working on it. When he has the ball in his hands, he’s explosive. It’s been fun to see. He’s had a couple really nice runs, caught a screen and came out of the backfield nicely. So he’s done a good job of showing what he has talent-wise and then he’s just got to keep continuing to learn. He’s pushing this group.”

Both Bradley and true freshman fullback Ben Miles are getting a look to see if they can help the team right away before the coaches make any kind of redshirt decisions.

“Any time you’ve got a good football player, they usually can carve out a role for themselves,” running backs coach Reggie Davis said. “Coach Riley is big on that, guys finding a niche, finding something they can do extremely well and us finding a place to put them in there so they can use that niche to help us win games.”

For both freshmen, special teams will play a significant part in their ability to earning playing time.

“Coach Booker does a great job of trying to get the best guys out there and Jaylin’s working in there so we can see how he fits in there,” Davis said. “And he’s in the mix there at running back right now; we’re trying to see what is going to happen with him.” https://hailvarsity.com/s/1798/how-tanner-lee-helps-the-huskers-handle-the-pass-rush
More Football

Confusing reach as a talent and reach as a qualifier.
Um no. There were people bitching about his offer list and questioning his ranking. If we hadn't taken him, our staff would have been crucified for missing a Nebraska kid. IF he hadn't qualified, they would have been crucified for not bringing in the next 5 star Marlon Lucky from far away places. Some people aren't happy no matter what this staff does.

Reactions: bigboxes
I guess I don't remember that, most of the talk I heard was that he was a risk to qualify and was he worth holding a scholarship for. But I have slept since he qualified.

I guess I don't remember that, most of the talk I heard was that he was a risk to qualify and was he worth holding a scholarship for. But I have slept since he qualified.
I don't recall which posters questioned his talent but there were several on here. It was all about his offer list and star ranking. There is no question but that his academic situation affected both of those things.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I do remember posters complaining about his offer sheet and only 2 stars I believe... not sure who they were either, but they were really throwing Davis under the bus for his lack of RB recruiting, saying the only reason he got Bradley was cuz he was a Nebraska kid...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT