ADVERTISEMENT

Evan Cooper has left the building

And Bill Parcells won three games in his first season with the Giants and Bear Bryant won only one game in his first season at A&M. What is your point? There aren't a lot of Vince Lombardi's out there.
The giants in college football inherit teams with poor records but great tradition and finish year one about .500 or so, then they win the national title in year 2. Saban, Meyers, Stoops are three that come to mind. Not to say that Rhule is gonna do that, 1500/1 against that happening.

Like I said, don’t know who fired Cooper, but Rhule seems ok with it.

Well it depends just who that adult was. If it was a student or the wife of one of the staff that situation can create a lot of internal tension (ie., not good for building a teamwork culture). Now if it was someone not associated with the above, then yes who cares.
I agree. I'll add that there could be morals clauses in contracts that could be violated. Most certainly an affair between a staff member and someone of lower status in the same department could be an issue since it can affect the work place in any number of ways. I would say that having an affair with an intern could be a firable offense.

I agree. I'll add that there could be morals clauses in contracts that could be violated. Most certainly an affair between a staff member and someone of lower status in the same department could be an issue since it can affect the work place in any number of ways. I would say that having an affair with an intern could be a firable offense.
Ya it sounds like after the intern it was taken out of Rhules hand and University protocol took over.

Reactions: Dean Pope
The giants in college football inherit teams with poor records but great tradition and finish year one about .500 or so, then they win the national title in year 2. Saban, Meyers, Stoops are three that come to mind. Not to say that Rhule is gonna do that, 1500/1 against that happening.
(I had to look it up) Saban won it all in year three not year two and he took over a great situation at Alabama (of course) with a program that had won six and ten games in the two seasons prior. Urban Meyer won it all in year three and did it "against all odds" at an Ohio State program that had won 10 or more in six of the last seven seasons. Bob Stoops did win it all in year two, but took over for John "Great recruiter, horrible head coach" Blake at Oklahoma. So three great coaches no doubt, but they also benefited from jumping into circumstances that are a coach's dream.

Reactions: GBRforLife1
(I had to look it up) Saban won it all in year three not year two and he took over a great situation at Alabama (of course) with a program that had won six and ten games in the two seasons prior. Urban Meyer won it all in year three and did it "against all odds" at an Ohio State program that had won 10 or more in six of the last seven seasons. Bob Stoops did win it all in year two, but took over for John "Great recruiter, horrible head coach" Blake at Oklahoma. So three great coaches no doubt, but they also benefited from jumping into circumstances that are a coach's dream.
I misspoke on Saban since this was off the top of my head. However, Meyers won the natty in year 2 at Florida and Stoops won it in year 2 at Oklahoma. I also said they went to schools with great tradition which takes into account what you said.

Reactions: Dean Pope
Copper had an affair with the University’s sports psychologist and the one he got fired for was an an intern within the athletic department.

8wdwlm.jpg

Rhule did fire a staffer at Baylor when he had an affair with a players mom. But I believe when Cooper got caught a second time with the intern it was taken out of Rhules hands.
I don’t understand why people think Rhule wouldn’t do it himself. He sets and communicates the standard, no one is above the standard, he holds people accountable to the standard. Basic leadership and Rhule has it in spades.

Reactions: Wasker77
I don’t understand why people think Rhule wouldn’t do it himself. He sets and communicates the standard, no one is above the standard, he holds people accountable to the standard. Basic leadership and Rhule has it in spades.
seems he let the first transgression slide

new AD says "fool me once.."

Oh he might have. But he didn’t after Copps affair with Dr. Haskell last year.

Haskell left in December, 2023. Cooper was not asked to leave until months later. It is possible he got sacked after a second offense. It is also possible that some legal blowback from the first offense (unfair treatment, I got let go but he didn't) got him sacked, or the somewhat lesser second offense gave them an excuse to get rid of an HR headache.
If she left in December, he should have been gone shortly thereafter.

I misspoke on Saban since this was off the top of my head. However, Meyers won the natty in year 2 at Florida and Stoops won it in year 2 at Oklahoma. I also said they went to schools with great tradition which takes into account what you said.
I missed that Florida year two championship so thanks for fixing my oversight. Urban Meyer!. For a guy who gladly takes the credit, he is always sure to never go into a situation that isn't advantageous. Goes down to Florida where recruiting was so easy, and coach at a program that hadn't had a losing season since Ronald Reagan was President back in the 80's.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I missed that Florida year two championship so thanks for fixing my oversight. Urban Meyer!. For a guy who gladly takes the credit, he is always sure to never go into a situation that isn't advantageous. Goes down to Florida where recruiting was so easy, and coach at a program that hadn't had a losing season since Ronald Reagan was President back in the 80's.

Lots of guys get plum jobs that cannot win. Look at the coaches Florida had prior to him, and after....Urban, in addition to being an amazing coach, is smart to take the jobs he took at the time he did...that is a point in his favor IMO... Urban is one of the best college coaches ever. 100% Grade A slimeball, but behind only Saban IMO as the greatest CFB coach....then I'd put our very own T.O. at 3rd...YMMV

Lots of guys get plum jobs that cannot win. Look at the coaches Florida had prior to him, and after....Urban, in addition to being an amazing coach, is smart to take the jobs he took at the time he did...that is a point in his favor IMO... Urban is one of the best college coaches ever. 100% Grade A slimeball, but behind only Saban IMO as the greatest CFB coach....then I'd put our very own T.O. at 3rd...YMMV
Speaking of taking jobs at a good time. Rewind to gameday 2022 OU. There was rumors swirling Urban came in early met Trev . Then he saw the onfield product that day and said no to big of a job.

I think it is a person. Usually when something like this happens it is usually a big donors wife, someone within the NU athletics community (ie another coach / trainer, etc.) or an athlete or their parent. You may be correct with the electronic device, but if I were to guess it is a specific person that is some way tied to the University.
Part of my point is that something might have taken place in a campus facility. The electronics suggestion is just an example of something that will get you terminated. Logically an off campus affair wouldn’t normally cause your exit. Who knows. Whatever took place seems to have been a significant code of conduct infraction for him to resign. Hire him as an independent contractor high school scout. 😉

Kinda along your and Dean's comments, but Saban probably could have coached at Michigan State for 25 years and never got a whiff of a national title.

Meyer took over a Utah team coming off a 5-6 season and in year one went 10-2 and in year 2 went 12-0. No doubt, that sob can really coach. TO, without a doubt had a more difficult situation than either Saban at Bama or Meyer at Florida or Ohio State.

Scant population among the biggest reasons, but I "think" at one time, I tallied it up and TO won 3 national titles, but also played for or was beaten by the eventual national champion about 10 times in his career. It might have been (not gonna check) the same year that NU was beaten by both Colorado and Georgia Tech who were co-national champions that year.

Then of course, Oklahoma several times, Miami, Clemson, Florida State, robbed at Penn Stae even though Ga beat them for the title. Dude had a lot of bad luck for a lot of years.

Again, off the top of my head, but TO was so close so many times it makes you wonder what his teams might have accomplished in a 25 year career at Bama or Florida with their built in recruiting advantages.

I can't argue against Saban being the greatest ever and Urban the second best.

Rhule did fire a staffer at Baylor when he had an affair with a players mom. But I believe when Cooper got caught a second time with the intern it was taken out of Rhules hands.
“WHERE” he got “caught” with an intern would be significant in an HR situation. At the office means immediate termination. I hope she was worth it. Nothing like flushing a mid 6 figure job for 10 minutes of pleasure.

Reactions: t7w0c1
“WHERE” he got “caught” with an intern would be significant in an HR situation. At the office means immediate termination. I hope she was worth it. Nothing like flushing a mid 6 figure job for 10 minutes of pleasure.
I once told my wife if things ever got desperate, I could probably rent her out.
Probably not $ 50,000.00 twenty times, but defintely $ 20.00 fifty thousand times.

In 2011, OSU went 6-7 under Fickell.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Well he know's where to find a phycologist if he needs it.

Could have been Dannen either did it or directed Rhule to do it.. After the situation with women's basketball and the lawsuit against Alberts, I expect the powers that be in the department are walking on eggshells.
Walking on “egg shells” is exactly the worst thing one can do and I doubt it is going on here. If anything, you go back to existing policy and follow it to the T and you expand the sphere of this involved in making decisions including legal. The AD or his legal representation would most likely deliver the news and not Rhule. Generally, you would not trust your HC with delivering this kind of news and legal ramifications.

I could be wrong but this is how I have seen it done in school and college systems.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Haskell left in December, 2023. Cooper was not asked to leave until months later. It is possible he got sacked after a second offense. It is also possible that some legal blowback from the first offense (unfair treatment, I got let go but he didn't) got him sacked, or the somewhat lesser second offense gave them an excuse to get rid of an HR headache.
If she left in December, he should have been gone shortly thereafter.
The more I hear about this, I think that it's quite possible that this second relationship, if there was one, may not have even been a factor in the decision to let Cooper go. The decision to not allow Cooper back may have been made in the late fall of 2023. Cooper was allowed to finish out his contract year. He was there to make sure we closed well in recruiting, help with the new kids adjustment to Lincoln, spring ball. As it became clear to Cooper that he was a lame duck so to speak, there was an apparent change in his demeanor.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT