ADVERTISEMENT

Evan Cooper has left the building

Yea

I’m over the moon about our 0-4 November swoon and will be elated to play in a mid-december bowl game (fingers crossed)

Great points, Bill

Scoreboard.

You’re diving into the weeds now Mr. “I only care about the scoreboard”.

Don’t bring up November if you’re a scoreboard guy.

Rhule took us from 3-9 to 5-7. Period.

If we don’t get 6+ wins then come back and drink the hemlock.

Right or wrong on what?

Rhule has overseen something like 4 total winning seasons in his entire career as a head coach.

I don’t know if he’s good and neither does anyone else. He talks a good game, that’s about it so far.
We all seen enough "in-game" actions about some of his decisions that have to give you pause. There are great coaches during the game and there are many that are not so good.

I personally really like Matt, I think he's trying to build something of substance that takes time and having players that can make "that play" at that critical time is all part of it. We had guys that couldn't make the play, but that didn't stop them from calling the play regardless.

I did have reservations because of his inability of his teams to beat Top 25 caliber teams at Baylor, although, other than Saban, few coaches actually have a winning percentage in that category and even less when you start talking against Top 10 schools.

We all know in the Big Ten there are going to be 6 or more Top 25 teams every year and probably 2-3 in the Top 10, so we have to see if he can eventually elevate this program to change that statistic.

Regards to the 0-25 record against Top 25 teams it would be interesting to see how they actually did against the spread, not as an indicator, but which teams he was actually a small favorite in and still lost. Hell, he might have been 15-10 against the spread which would indicate his teams over performed but still lost. I have no idea what the actual W/L was against equal talent was.

All I know is the handful of times I watched Baylor play that last year or so, they played their asses off and were never an easy out, but they had a lot of trouble putting good teams away and we seen that same thing last year although most games were fairly tight.

NU best start 2-0 this year or I think we better lower our expectations.

**Edited** Curiousity killed the cat here. I did find an article from a few years back that showed that of the 128 FBS coaches, only 14, or 11% had a winning record against Top 25 Teams. And of those coaches, 51, or 40% NEVER won a game against Top 25 teams. So, Rhule isn't alone in his inability to win against good quality teams.

**Twice Edited**. Okay, so I just answered my own question as to how his Baylor teams in
2017-2109 did against the spread. It's actually not that bad.

2017 5-7 ATS 4-5 as underdog and 1-2 as favorite, road favorite 1-0, road underdog 2-2, and against ranked opponents 3-1.

2018 6-6-1 ATS 5-3 as underdog and 1-3-1 as favorite, road favorite 0-0-1, road underdog 2-2, and against ranked opponents 2-2.

2019 5-1 as underdog and 4-4 as favorite, road favorite 2-1, road underdog 2-0, and against ranked opponents 2-1. **Overall, the charts I seen did not decipher between Top 10/Top 20/Top 25/Top 40, all I got was they were 7-4 against "ranked" opponents.**

Overall 16-14-1 ATS. 14-9 as the underdog. 6-9 as favorite.

Last year at NU he was 4-7-1 ATS. 3-3-1 as underdog. 1-4 as favorites. 0-3 vs. ranked opponents.

So, in an apples and oranges comparison, the "book" on a Matt Rhule team is take the points as the underdog. I didn't, but could, break it down into home game or road games. {{Delete this last sentence as I did go in and fill in that information}}.

Last edited:
Scoreboard.

You’re diving into the weeds now Mr. “I only care about the scoreboard”.

Don’t bring up November if you’re a scoreboard guy.

Rhule took us from 3-9 to 5-7. Period.

If we don’t get 6+ wins then come back and drink the hemlock.
he took us from 4-8 to 5-7.

6-6 might keep the likes of you happy, Bill.

not me. never me.

You cant allow it to continue because when one of the consenting adults decides to stop the relationship the other will claim sexual harassment and sue the school and the head coach for allowing it. This situation plays out like this almost every time.
Exactly! When someone says "Why does it matter" between consenting adults - someone gets hurt and there's a bunch of lawyers willing and ready to take the case.

Based on what?

His 52-50 W-L record? His 1-2 bowl record? His 2 career wins over top 25 opponents?

He says all the right things. So far that’s about it.
Here is what I'm basing my opinion on. I like what I've seen and heard so far. What he says and is trying to do seems to be conducive to winning. He's done well everywhere he's been-- and I'm including his tenure at Carolina. That's a dumpster fire over there. And I'm also basing my opinion on what the perception is nationally. He's considered to be, at a minimum, a good coach.

Here is what I'm basing my opinion on. I like what I've seen and heard so far. What he says and is trying to do seems to be conducive to winning. He's done well everywhere he's been-- and I'm including his tenure at Carolina. That's a dumpster fire over there. And I'm also basing my opinion on what the perception is nationally. He's considered to be, at a minimum, a good coach.
In order to get his wins at a place like Baylor and to punch above his weight at Temple, Rhule had to develop DIY skills. He and his staff have an actual approach to talent projection and have a record of developing players. So those skills exist. He should be able to do better on the talent front with the NU brand and having Raiola on the roster should help. There are players on offense now that can put stress on a D. Can Rhule and Satt put together play call sheets that take full advantage of that talent?

In order to get his wins at a place like Baylor and to punch above his weight at Temple, Rhule had to develop DIY skills. He and his staff have an actual approach to talent projection and have a record of developing players. So those skills exist. He should be able to do better on the talent front with the NU brand and having Raiola on the roster should help. There are players on offense now that can put stress on a D. Can Rhule and Satt put together play call sheets that take full advantage of that talent?
I agree. Rhule's approach is really the same as what worked at Nebraska historically-- talent evaluation and talent development. And he also seems to recognize the style of play that works best- physical and aggressive. You've got to have a good running game and special teams. Everything is a work in progress at this point.

I agree. Rhule's approach is really the same as what worked at Nebraska historically-- talent evaluation and talent development. And he also seems to recognize the style of play that works best- physical and aggressive. You've got to have a good running game and special teams. Everything is a work in progress at this point.
Years ago, someone took a crack at doing a recruiting service assigning of the 1995 starters, possibly the greatest college FB team ever assembled. It was a mix of development players with blue chip talent. Want perhaps the most lethal option offense in history? Green, LP and Tommie are a pretty great start. But blocking for them was one of the walkon greats, Jeff Makovicka.

If you are making a guy resign because he ****ed another adult...you are an idiot. Assuming he was good at his job, who the **** cares.
Well it depends just who that adult was. If it was a student or the wife of one of the staff that situation can create a lot of internal tension (ie., not good for building a teamwork culture). Now if it was someone not associated with the above, then yes who cares.

Reactions: Dean Pope
Well it depends just who that adult was. If it was a student or the wife of one of the staff that situation can create a lot of internal tension (ie., not good for building a teamwork culture). Now if it was someone not associated with the above, then yes who cares.
the “rumor “ coming out now is that The other employee ( Dr. Haskell) he had an affair with. She was threatening a lawsuit against the University for unfair or Title 9 stuff because she was asked to leave her post and coop wasn’t.

the “rumor “ coming out now is that The other employee ( Dr. Haskell) he had an affair with. She was threatening a lawsuit against the University for unfair or Title 9 stuff because she was asked to leave her post and coop wasn’t.
That's a pretty logical explanation. But that said, I would be interested in hearing the rational for firing a female employee and letting the male football coach off with a warning. I don't know enough about the situation to say whether or not either of them deserved to be fired, but on the surface she would have a pretty good point.

Years ago, someone took a crack at doing a recruiting service assigning of the 1995 starters, possibly the greatest college FB team ever assembled. It was a mix of development players with blue chip talent. Want perhaps the most lethal option offense in history? Green, LP and Tommie are a pretty great start. But blocking for them was one of the walkon greats, Jeff Makovicka.
That's a neat article. He did well. Personally, I would disagree with a few of the ratings, but overall he did a damn good job with something that I'm sure was time consuming.

I followed recruiting closely back then and of course that was before the internet recruiting services existed so it's guess work obviously. I would rate Lawrence Phillips as a four star (instead of a five star). Probably due to character concerns and low grades, he was not flooded with offers from top programs. Tommie Frazier was a 1st team Parade All-American and would have been a five star (instead of four star) back then. Gilman didn't get hardly any notice and would be a two star back then (but a three star with today's inflated ratings). Wistrom and Jason Peter could easily have been rated five star recruits back then. Foreman and Minter could easily have been three star rated talents although Foreman's name alone might have elevated him to a four star.

That's a pretty logical explanation. But that said, I would be interested in hearing the rational for firing a female employee and letting the male football coach off with a warning. I don't know enough about the situation to say whether or not either of them deserved to be fired, but on the surface she would have a pretty good point.
Yep and who knows if this is an actual thing or not. And I don’t know either what policies are in place for a situation like this is another poster put this out on the Pay board.

Carl was up to shanigans while he was in Lincoln and I doubt that helped Bo long term.

Reactions: Champ_Kind_whammy
That's a neat article. He did well. Personally, I would disagree with a few of the ratings, but overall he did a damn good job with something that I'm sure was time consuming.

I followed recruiting closely back then and of course that was before the internet recruiting services existed so it's guess work obviously. I would rate Lawrence Phillips as a four star (instead of a five star). Probably due to character concerns and low grades, he was not flooded with offers from top programs. Tommie Frazier was a 1st team Parade All-American and would have been a five star (instead of four star) back then. Gilman didn't get hardly any notice and would be a two star back then (but a three star with today's inflated ratings). Wistrom and Jason Peter could easily have been rated five star recruits back then. Foreman and Minter could easily have been three star rated talents although Foreman's name alone might have elevated him to a four star.
Yea, we can add or subtract a star from a few players. But that top line list is a true testament to TO’s approach. He always had excellent teams, but when he got blue chip talent at QB and RB, plus stocking the D with speed, it was lights out.

Same exact things were said about Frost heading into his second year. Put up or shut up time for me, and it's been that way for a long time.

No they weren’t. I walked the halls of the football offices numerous times during Frosts tenure and can promise you that what Rhule is doing is literally almost OPPOSITE of what Frost was doing at this same time. It’s literally like Rhule has Frosts plan and is doing the exact opposite.

The results will come. And somehow if they don’t (injury is really the only thing that prevents Rhule succeeding here) we won’t ever be good.

Because I can tell you that it wouldn’t be possible for him to be doing a better job than what’s being done. I’ve seen it with my own eyes.

No they weren’t. I walked the halls of the football offices numerous times during Frosts tenure and can promise you that what Rhule is doing is literally almost OPPOSITE of what Frost was doing at this same time. It’s literally like Rhule has Frosts plan and is doing the exact opposite.

The results will come. And somehow if they don’t (injury is really the only thing that prevents Rhule succeeding here) we won’t ever be good.

Because I can tell you that it wouldn’t be possible for him to be doing a better job than what’s being done. I’ve seen it with my own eyes.
This makes very good sense, Bill. Thanks for sharing.

You’re smitten like a schoolgirl.

In other words the girls basketball stuff all over again

In other words the girls basketball stuff all over again
Maybe. Another story is Coop got put on notice after the affair with Haskell and caught a second time with an Intern . And Basically a 2nd “offense “ if you will takes the situation out of Rhules hands. That’s what will be interesting when Harper Murray comes up for Punishment on her DUI and Shoplifting. Cook said in an interview it was out of his hands.

• Wow
Reactions: BrighteRed24
Maybe. Another story is Coop got put on notice after the affair with Haskell and caught a second time with an Intern . And Basically a 2nd “offense “ if you will takes the situation out of Rhules hands. That’s what will be interesting when Harper Murray comes up for Punishment on her DUI and Shoplifting. Cook said in an interview it was out of his hands.
The volleyball coach kind of strikes me as someone who couldn’t give two shits about whatever happens off the court

I admit I know nothing about him or the team, but I respect that if my impression is indeed accurate

A bit of the opposite of Rhule, who seems hyper focused on all things PR but falls on his face (at least to this point) in-game

The volleyball coach kind of strikes me as someone who couldn’t give two shits about whatever happens off the court

I admit I know nothing about him or the team, but I respect that if my impression is indeed accurate

A bit of the opposite of Rhule, who seems hyper focused on all things PR but falls on his face (at least to this point) in-game
Yeah let you coaches pork whomever they want.. just win baby!

Reactions: Landomatic
Either that or be Lou Holtz

The in between stuff gets pretty murky pretty quick

But, I suppose Rhule’s whole thing is the in-between. A choir boy who worships a serial rapist enabler.

Quite the range.

• Haha
Reactions: TampaBaySkers
Either that or be Lou Holtz

The in between stuff gets pretty murky pretty quick

But, I suppose Rhule’s whole thing is the in-between. A choir boy who worships a serial rapist enabler.

Quite the range.
Rhule will learn rather quickly that you can’t keep this job by only winning the offseason

• Love
Reactions: king_kong_

Yes they were. This site has a search feature. Probably at least a hundred threads posted around that time where you can find very similar comments made about Frost to what you made about Rhule.

My suspicion is that this wasn’t about who he was porking as much as about when and where he was doing it. I also suspect there’s possibly use of University owned electronic devices involved. I have zero evidence to support my suspicion but logically I don’t believe either of them would have lost their jobs otherwise.

Reactions: huskerfan66
My suspicion is that this wasn’t about who he was porking as much as about when and where he was doing it. I also suspect there’s possibly use of University owned electronic devices involved. I have zero evidence to support my suspicion but logically I don’t believe either of them would have lost their jobs otherwise.
I think it is a person. Usually when something like this happens it is usually a big donors wife, someone within the NU athletics community (ie another coach / trainer, etc.) or an athlete or their parent. You may be correct with the electronic device, but if I were to guess it is a specific person that is some way tied to the University.

I think it is a person. Usually when something like this happens it is usually a big donors wife, someone within the NU athletics community (ie another coach / trainer, etc.) or an athlete or their parent. You may be correct with the electronic device, but if I were to guess it is a specific person that is some way tied to the University.
Copper had an affair with the University’s sports psychologist and the one he got fired for was an an intern within the athletic department.

Not sure who forced Cooper out, but this does seem to suggest Rhule isn’t above firing a friend.
Rhule did fire a staffer at Baylor when he had an affair with a players mom. But I believe when Cooper got caught a second time with the intern it was taken out of Rhules hands.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Could have been Dannen either did it or directed Rhule to do it.. After the situation with women's basketball and the lawsuit against Alberts, I expect the powers that be in the department are walking on eggshells.
Yep when coop got caught with the intern after the first incident with Dr Haskell it was taken out of Rhules hands.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT