ADVERTISEMENT

Espn win loss projection came out

I was going to guess the over under would be set at 6.5.

We have the preseason toughest or 2nd toughest schedule in the nation and a BIG ? at QB.

I would sign up for 6 or 7 wins next year right now

Reactions: huskerfan1414
If you believe Frost will begin to bring this team back to their potential, you have to believe he'll get 7 wins. I say:

Wins: Akron, Troy, Purdue, Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa, Colorado
Losses: Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State.

I will admit, though, more than 7 wins would be pretty impressive in year 1 with this schedule.

Date Home/Away Opponent Time
Sep 1 vs
akron-70.png
Akron Time: TBD - W
Sep 8 vs
ccn.png
Colorado Time: TBD - W
Sep 15 vs
Troy-70.png
Troy Time: TBD - W
Sep 22 @
michigan_70x70.1.png
Michigan Time: TBD - L
Sep 29 vs
Purdue-Boilermakers_70.png
Purdue Time: TBD - W
Oct 6 @
wwo.png
Wisconsin Time: TBD - L
Oct 13 @
Northwestern_70_copy.png
Northwestern Time: TBD - W
Oct 20 vs
mmn.png
Minnesota Time: TBD - W
Bye Week
Nov 3 @
ohio_state_70x70.png
Ohio St. Time: TBD - L
Nov 10 vs
illinois_fighting_illini-2014.png
Illinois Time: TBD - W
Nov 17 vs
mml.png
Michigan St. Time: TBD -W
Nov 23 @
iig.png
Iowa Time: TBD - L

8 - 4

Reactions: c3ntral08
7-8 wins seems reasonable. These people saying that they'll be happy with 6, or some have even suggested that 4 or 5 would be OK-come on. Yes, this is a tough schedule, but look at it-we should be able to squeeze 7 wins out of it, and it isn't crazy to see 8 or even 9 possible.

7-8 wins seems reasonable. These people saying that they'll be happy with 6, or some have even suggested that 4 or 5 would be OK-come on. Yes, this is a tough schedule, but look at it-we should be able to squeeze 7 wins out of it, and it isn't crazy to see 8 or even 9 possible.

good post, agree ... but if you say 7 wins with an additional 1-2 wins "not being crazy" can't you also say likely 7 wins but an additional 1-2 losses likewise isn't crazy .. 7 wins +/- 2

personally I'm not sure if we are more likely to win 6 games or 8 games .. need to see what we have at QB

6 has to be the minimum to get the bowl game practices .. 4 or 5 would not be OK

The only “guaranteed” losses right now are Ohio St and Wisconsin. If Patterson gets approval from NCAA then I may put Michigan in that category. If he doesn’t get the waiver, that team will struggle offensively, new OC without a QB to run his offense.

Every other game can be won.

If you believe Frost will begin to bring this team back to their potential, you have to believe he'll get 7 wins. I say:

Wins: Akron, Troy, Purdue, Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa, Colorado
Losses: Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State.

I will admit, though, more than 7 wins would be pretty impressive in year 1 with this schedule.

You're missing NW fyi, which I think we take.

The only “guaranteed” losses right now are Ohio St and Wisconsin. If Patterson gets approval from NCAA then I may put Michigan in that category. If he doesn’t get the waiver, that team will struggle offensively, new OC without a QB to run his offense.

Michigan has 9 returning starters from an elite defense ... we are in the same boat as Michigan as far as the offense is concerned without the elite defense returning + game is in AA .... your right, not impossible but a tall, tall task IMO

If Nebraska losses any game at home you would have too point toward Michigan St...

If Shea Patterson doesn’t make it to Ann Arbor I like our chances against Michigan more so than beating MSU.

I guess my only question is...why couldn't the B1G Home Office find open dates for us to schedule away games at Alabama and Georgia too?

Reactions: jlb321

Well, I don't see beating Whisky as mission impossible. I think we'll give them a good game. We'll see!

Reactions: yunginsNU2
I was going to guess the over under would be set at 6.5.

We have the preseason toughest or 2nd toughest schedule in the nation and a BIG ? at QB.

I would sign up for 6 or 7 wins next year right now

Exactly right on IMO. Against this schedule, 6 wins and a bowl berth would make for a successful season.

Reactions: Dave3
Well, I don't see beating Whisky as mission impossible. I think we'll give them a good game. We'll see!

I look at it sorta like if Riley's teams can play nearly all of these teams closely or beat them with the poor accountability they had in Strength and Conditioning and in general a pretty piss poor coaching staff, then why can't Frost and his staff make a close game out of all the games except Ohio State and maybe Michigan? Riley's team have beat all the rest, except for Iowa, who they played competitively in 2015, which was quite a bit better team than their 2018 team will be.

And we're only 3 months into Strength and Conditioning. If they've made the amazing progress they have in just 3 months, imagine where they will be in September.

I don't see why we couldn't also give Wisconsin a close game too. Hell, Riley lost to Wisky on a last second FG in Lincoln the first year we played them. With the progress we'll make in Strength and Conditioning by this upcoming season, who knows what these kids are capable of.

I look at it sorta like if Riley's teams can play nearly all of these teams closely or beat them with the poor accountability they had in Strength and Conditioning and in general a pretty piss poor coaching staff, then why can't Frost and his staff make a close game out of all the games except Ohio State and maybe Michigan? Riley's team have beat all the rest, except for Iowa, who they played competitively in 2015, which was quite a bit better team than their 2018 team will be.

And we're only 3 months into Strength and Conditioning. If they've made the amazing progress they have in just 3 months, imagine where they will be in September.

I don't see why we couldn't also give Wisconsin a close game too. Hell, Riley lost to Wisky on a last second FG in Lincoln the first year we played them. With the progress we'll make in Strength and Conditioning by this upcoming season, who knows what these kids are capable of.

with regards to Wisconsin I think the difference is their 3rd year QB running the same system and we will have a 1st year starter learning a new system .. it could happen but would be an upset

Reactions: Hoosker Du
with regards to Wisconsin I think the difference is their 3rd year QB running the same system and we will have a 1st year starter learning a new system .. it could happen but would be an upset

Agreed. I just think a team that is going to be well ahead of the previous 3 years athletically will be able to compete with anyone in the West. We may be a year away from beating Wisky and Iowa, but we still have higher rated recruits in our program right now than anyone in the West. Maybe we'll finally see what a good S&C program can do with decent recruiting classes.

Wisky isn't mission impossible. I would like to play them close at least. I remember at the game thinking how weak they looked for a top 10 team. As bad as we were and as bad as we were playing, we were tied with them mid-way 3rd quarter at 17 before they started just steamrolling with the running game.

Good, good. Let's hope Vegas throws out a 5.5 or 6 and I'll go to the mattresses.
That's what a lot of people said after the low number last year. While I recognize a new man is in charge, this is ultimately the same team that lost 8 games with QBs not fit for the new system. While I expect an immediate improvement, these metrics for predicting records are based on a lot of history.

It's very rare for a team to make a 3 or 4 game improvement, no matter the circumstances.

That's what a lot of people said after the low number last year. While I recognize a new man is in charge, this is ultimately the same team that lost 8 games with QBs not fit for the new system. While I expect an immediate improvement, these metrics for predicting records are based on a lot of history.

It's very rare for a team to make a 3 or 4 game improvement, no matter the circumstances.
Considering Frost made a 6 game improvement in his first year at UCF, I don't think a 3 or 4 game improvement is all that out of the realm of possibility.

Considering Frost made a 6 game improvement in his first year at UCF, I don't think a 3 or 4 game improvement is all that out of the realm of possibility.
I am certainly hopeful of that. I'd actually say his jump from 6 wins to 12 (regular season) was actually more impressive than going from 0 to 6.

One thing we can all agree on is our hope that there's a significant jump in wins and competitiveness.

These are always interesting threads as some end up discussing what they feel is probable and others what is possible. Both valid ways to look at things but the two groups are debating different points.

I no longer think any games are guaranteed losses or guaranteed wins. Odds are those games are losses, but it’s not like it’s Nebraska playing south dakota state. ;)

They are predicting 5.5 6.0 wins for the season

Frost went 6-6 at UCF his first year, and I think Nebraska has more talent than that team.

With the SOS, seems right.

Toss up. Of course, if it hits 5.5, I will be putting AT LEAST 500 on the over!

GBR

Vegas isn't betting against Frost, they are betting against Frost with a 1st year BigTen QB against the schedule.

Last edited:
Reactions: scarletred
I think our new defense is going to bring fits to big ten offenses. I believe they will give up some big plays but will also add pressure and cause havok.. creating more turnovers for our offense.. its gonna be fun. I still think we get 7 wins.. maybe 8

Nope. I went on to explain why Michigan would be added to the “guaranteed” list if Patterson was cleared to play. Carry on.
So are they (osu, wisky) guaranteed losses or not? If that’s how this works, I suppose I could put quotation marks on my words and then say I wasn’t serious. Then no one would know what it is, exactly, that I was trying to say.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT