ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN predicts 4-4 record

If we start 1-1; 4-4 is disappointing. If we start 0-2, 4-4 would feel pretty good. But as others have said, 4-4 with this schedule would not feel bad in any case. I would actually extrapolate that out to 7-5 or 8-4 if we had played our original schedule. That would represent a 3rd straight year of progress.

It would also feel good to get all 8 games in.

4-4 would be an improvement over going below .500 the previous few years.
With the schedule, injuries, youth on the D-line, and only having one proven WR...4-4 is decent.

6-3 this year to just tie the ridiculously high mark for conference wins set by Mike Riley in his three illustrious years at Neb

to think in year 3 - 4 conference wins - a mere improvement of just a single conference win over Riley in 2017 would in any way be heralded as any type of achievement is truly remarkable

It would be difficult to argue that we showed anything on the field last year that should lead any analyst to believe we will be better than 4-4 this year.

Last year we were terrible on special teams and with better QB play you can’t compare this season to last season..

6-3 this year to just tie the ridiculously high mark for conference wins set by Mike Riley in his three illustrious years at Neb

to think in year 3 - 4 conference wins - a mere improvement of just a single conference win over Riley in 2017 would in any way be heralded as any type of achievement is truly remarkable

You just love humping the Riley bandwagon..

With your protégé still being here we’d be lucky to win one game.

It would be difficult to argue that we showed anything on the field last year that should lead any analyst to believe we will be better than 4-4 this year.
So much has changed from last year.1) Center has a year under his belt. 2) OL has depth and should be improved. 3) Receiving corps should be improved hopefully with some that want to block. 3) Starting running back came on strong last year and should be 800 yard rusher if he stays healthy. 4) The Washington experiment is in the rear view mirror. 5) New OC and run game coordinator that will hopefully get rid of some gadgets that didn't work. 6) An addition to the TE group that should make it more of a weapon. 7) Third year in the defensive scheme. That's the longest the Huskers have had continuity of coaches on that side of the ball in what seems like a decade. 8) Two qb that should leave little dropoff in performance in case of injury and there will be injuries.

I'm considering the entire season and asterisk for all of college football, so all I really care about is to see a team that looks well-coached, motivated, and as sharp as is reasonable considering the jacked up fall camp schedule.

ESPN's Football Power Index from 9/21:

Opponent - chance of N win
OSU - 04.6%
Wi - 12.5%
NW - 34.5%
PSU - 17.4%
ILL - 66.4%
IA - 36.2%
Pur - 59-1%
MN - ---- (no odds)

If you buy into ESPN's FPI, 4-4 would be a good outcome.

Mike - we get you're upset. Time to move on, we have. You were a career loser that got by because he was nice.

tvjr5aFU__9iUE1JD_TuL-Rahh7Z9-R8g3A36fCJAvA.jpg

Reactions: ATX Husker
In Mike Riley's 3 years - he played a total of 7 big ten teams that finished the season in the AP top 10

in Frost's first 2 years - he has played 3

4 big ten teams on the schedule would need to finish the season in the top ten for the 2 coaches to have faced a similar schedule of elite conference opponents in their first 3 years .. but by all means keep hedging by claiming Frost has such a tougher schedule

Last edited:
Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
So much has changed from last year.1) Center has a year under his belt. 2) OL has depth and should be improved. 3) Receiving corps should be improved hopefully with some that want to block. 3) Starting running back came on strong last year and should be 800 yard rusher if he stays healthy. 4) The Washington experiment is in the rear view mirror. 5) New OC and run game coordinator that will hopefully get rid of some gadgets that didn't work. 6) An addition to the TE group that should make it more of a weapon. 7) Third year in the defensive scheme. That's the longest the Huskers have had continuity of coaches on that side of the ball in what seems like a decade. 8) Two qb that should leave little dropoff in performance in case of injury and there will be injuries.
I’m with you on the offense and I think we will be vastly improved on special teams. However, I’m pretty skeptical we see improvement on the defensive side.

ESPN's Football Power Index from 9/21:

Opponent - chance of N win
OSU - 04.6%
Wi - 12.5%
NW - 34.5%
PSU - 17.4%
ILL - 66.4%
IA - 36.2%
Pur - 59-1%
MN - ---- (no odds)

If you buy into ESPN's FPI, 4-4 would be a good outcome.
Looks like 2-6 is more likely , given these odds

Can we beat NW and either Iowa or Minnesota?

In Mike Riley's 3 years - he played a total of 7 big ten teams that finished the season in the AP top 10

in Frost's first 2 years - he has played 3

4 big ten teams on the schedule would need to finish the season in the top ten for the 2 coaches to have faced a similar schedule of elite conference opponents in their first 3 years .. but by all means keep hedging by claiming Frost has such a tougher schedule

Sick

While I think we'll be improved this year, I just don't know where the wins come from. We very easily could be 1 - 3 to start. If we can split the last 4, we're still only 3 - 5.

@Ohio State - currently #5
Wisconsin - currently #14
@NW - certainly winnable, but on the road
PSU - currently #8
llinois - gotta get this one
@Iowa - toss up game - on the road
@Purdue - winnable, but on the road
Minnesota - tough game, but at home
Playoffs

We'll know more about the team in 2 weeks, but at this point I feel 4-4 is our ceiling. 3-5 is probably more realistic, IMO.

While I think we'll be improved this year, I just don't know where the wins come from. We very easily could be 1 - 3 to start. If we can split the last 4, we're still only 3 - 5.

@Ohio State - currently #5
Wisconsin - currently #14
@NW - certainly winnable, but on the road
PSU - currently #8
llinois - gotta get this one
@Iowa - toss up game - on the road
@Purdue - winnable, but on the road
Minnesota - tough game, but at home
Playoffs
If I had to bet my life on it....I would put it on a 1-3 start. Tough road.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT