ADVERTISEMENT

Embarrassing hoops schedule

Indiana is doing the same thing this season....trying to get some W's and keep the heat off Woodson.

It CAN work but you better win those lame games by 30+ so that the computers stay on your good side.

Indiana is doing the same thing this season....trying to get some W's and keep the heat off Woodson.

It CAN work but you better win those lame games by 30+ so that the computers stay on your good side.
I think that’s an ok strategy for a team that’s emotionally fragile, but Nebraska is coming off a very solid season. Now go play some teams. Schedule some good mid majors and 3-4 big 12 teams

Yeah, no kidding. Last year's Diamond Head field ended the season with these NET rankings:

34, 42, 91, 127, 172, 293 and 295

But hey, I'm sure it will be loaded this year.
Oh yeah! It’s loaded alright 🤣

8wm0i6.jpg

Reactions: king_kong_
I think that’s an ok strategy for a team that’s emotionally fragile, but Nebraska is coming off a very solid season. Now go play some teams. Schedule some good mid majors and 3-4 big 12 teams
Yeah, I agree

The problem with this non-con is that if you drop more than 1-2 games, it comes back to haunt you.

My team, the Illini, play Arkansas, Duke, Tennessee, Mizzo (lame), and Bama. That is brutal but really will only help come selection Sunday.

Reactions: t7w0c1
I'm fine with Nebraska playing a weaker non-con for another season. Last year was ok but let's all agree this version of the program is still in its infancy. We might as well call last season year 1 for Hoiberg, he's pretty much changed his entire approach to winning games. If we schedule tougher teams for this year we probably go .500 in the non-con and then the entire season goes down the crapper. I'll take the momentum and worry about NCAA seeds later.

Looks fine to me. Hopefully they build some confidence before they run in to St Mary’s and Creighton.
I have no qualms with the schedule. It is weak though. They will get some playing experience together out of the deal but they only way to build actual confidence would be to accomplish something difficult- like beating St. Mary's and winning at Creighton. Maybe sweeping that tourney in Honolulu. Otherwise, the rest is pretty much just fluff.

That’s ridiculously bad. As a season-ticket holder that pisses me off.
With the addition of the PAC 12 teams the home schedule will end up fine. This team has a lot of new pieces and is going to need some warm up games. I also believe they tried to bring in some mid tier teams like KSU but not many of those teams would be interested in playing at PBA in the early season.

With the addition of the PAC 12 teams the home schedule will end up fine. This team has a lot of new pieces and is going to need some warm up games. I also believe they tried to bring in some mid tier teams like KSU but not many of those teams would be interested in playing at PBA in the early season.
Sorry. That’s stil embarrassing.

So who do you think they could get home and home deals with? Otherwise you’re looking at road games against top teams.
We should be the first to raise our hand to play road games against top teams

Nothing to lose as far as RPI is concerned, tons to gain

Reactions: regoratsginrom
I’m not sure how many upper tier teams want to play us in PBA as well.
That might be the main point in all of this. NU became known last season as having one of the top home court advantages in college basketball and the home court vs. away game point spread dichotomy would prove that. And when you schedule NU (home or away), you're getting an opponent with little appeal or tradition that may not help you in the power rankings either.

Heck, look at it from an historical prospective too. Nebraska has always had trouble scheduling true home and homes with name P5 programs.

Better schedules come when the BB team gets better on a consistent basis. That means making the NCAAs more often than every 10 years - and then actually WINNING a f’n 1st round game! Until then, NU needs to schedule the way they do. Play a few decent teams in non-con to have a reasonable chance to make some noise in the B1G, but not too many as even a loss to Q1/2 teams eliminate your chances by Christmas.

I hope to see that in my lifetime. No idea if Hoiberg (and NIL money) can get us there - but I will watch every game I can because I am a fan and have eternal hope.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Play a few decent teams in non-con to have a reasonable chance to make some noise in the B1G, but not too many as even a loss to Q1/2 teams eliminate your chances by Christmas.
This is absolutely not true. Last year Wisconsin played four Quad1 teams in the non-conference, all before Christmas: Tennessee, Providence, Marquette and Arizona. They went 1-3 in these games, beating Marquette at home but losing the other three games handily.

Wisconsin went on to finish two spots below Nebraska in the conference standings but still made the tournament as #5 seed. They did better than NU in the Big Ten Tournament, but were projected to get a better seed even before the conference tourney started.

If you prefer to see NU play a pillow-soft non-conference schedule, that's fine. But don't just make things up about "eliminating your chances by Christmas."

This is absolutely not true. Last year Wisconsin played four Quad1 teams in the non-conference, all before Christmas: Tennessee, Providence, Marquette and Arizona. They went 1-3 in these games, beating Marquette at home but losing the other three games handily.

Wisconsin went on to finish two spots below Nebraska in the conference standings but still made the tournament as #5 seed. They did better than NU in the Big Ten Tournament, but were projected to get a better seed even before the conference tourney started.

If you prefer to see NU play a pillow-soft non-conference schedule, that's fine. But don't just make things up about "eliminating your chances by Christmas."

I hear what you are saying. I don’t “prefer” this schedule, but I understand it. I was baking in the fact that the BB program is still in a fragile position (if that is the correct wording). The history and culture isn’t there yet. The reference being eliminated by Christmas was more in terms of psyche. If NU doesn’t get wins early and build confidence to take on the stronger B1G teams, there won’t be much hope come January. If we can string together a couple more seasons like last year, then the better schedule should naturally follow suit.

Reactions: dinglefritz

Wisconsin’s proximal success has something to do with that. You give NU that record and we don’t make the tourney last year.

Wisconsin’s proximal success has something to do with that. You give NU that record and we don’t make the tourney last year.
You really think Nebraska could finish a season with a NET ranking of 21 and not make the tournament?

I can't stand Wisconsin, but they do know how to build a schedule in this day and age, instead chasing some magical number of wins as if it's 1987.

You really think Nebraska could finish a season with a NET ranking of 21 and not make the tournament?

I can't stand Wisconsin, but they do know how to build a schedule in this day and age, instead chasing some magical number of wins as if it's 1987.
Yeah probably.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT