ADVERTISEMENT

DT

Past DTs that were proclaimed on this board as having great physical talent and just needed to develop and get coached up .... All prior to actually taking a snap

Thad randle
Jay guy
Terrance Moore
Chase Rome
Aaron curry
Todd pear Jr.

Etc, etc

Im sure some of the 4 in question will be very good ... I just prefer to see production on the field before making any definitive proclamations. And as far as DT is concerned the trajectory is usually slow ... Progressing from spot duty ... To backup ... To starter. We are going to have to have those kids skip the usual progression and hold up against some pretty good off lines

First of all, the Davis Twins were more highly regarded than most of those recruits with the exception of Chase Rome. Ive argued for years that Rome is the biggest recruiting bust of all time at Nebraska. He didn't have academic issues. He never got into any trouble off the field, and he wasn't a partier. His size was legit. His athleticism was legit, and it helped him garner dozens of BCS offers. But his work ethic was awful. He didn't care and it parleyed into a complete waste of production.

As for the rest of those players above, none of them were as athletic and pursued with the same vigor as the Davis Twins. Terrence Moore and Thad Randle would never be recruited by this current staff. Aaron Curry was actually a good player who just didn't want to sit behind Maliek Collins.

Jay Guy was a fat tub of lard.

Fwiw, Kevin Maurice has already had better careers than all those guys mentioned above.

I think we'd all love for Kevin Maurice to be the next Steve Warren, or heck I'd take Jason Wiltz even, but we are talking about the guy with one career start and 32 career tackles, right? I love what he showed at the end of last year, but he's not a proven front-line commodity that would start on every Big-10 team.

I think we'd all love for Kevin Maurice to be the next Steve Warren, or heck I'd take Jason Wiltz even, but we are talking about the guy with one career start and 32 career tackles, right? I love what he showed at the end of last year, but he's not a proven front-line commodity that would start on every Big-10 team.
Well, as I said above, I think Maurice is very athletic and he can be explosive/disruptive. The question is, can he go the distance as an every game starter who is in on 90% of the plays? And that is a question I doubt anyone on here has the answer to.

The future seems to be bright for the DL, but it might be a year away. I'm pretty concerned for 2016. I'd have felt much better had GM stuck around just from an experience, maturity, and depth perspective. We lost three guys who would absolutely start at DT this year and another, who if he could stay healthy, would be a major contributor. We lost another starter at end. It's easy to rationalize losses like that in the off season. When the games actually start, the inexperience is going to show.
Don't disagree other than that I don't think Williams would have been a starter or maybe even played much. I'm not sure we got 100% effort from some of those kids that left either.

Well, as I said above, I think Maurice is very athletic and he can be explosive/disruptive. The question is, can he go the distance as an every game starter who is in on 90% of the plays? And that is a question I doubt anyone on here has the answer to.
Maurice I don't think will have to play 90% of the plays. I really think most people under-appreciate what we have. It's really thin after the top 4-5 but that's not unusual on most teams.

Don't disagree other than that I don't think Williams would have been a starter or maybe even played much. I'm not sure we got 100% effort from some of those kids that left either.

Maurice I don't think will have to play 90% of the plays. I really think most people under-appreciate what we have. It's really thin after the top 4-5 but that's not unusual on most teams.

Yeah that's basically where I am sitting right now. Our guys are young and inexperienced, but they are big dudes with a lot of talent. All they need is coaching and experience to become an incredible line. I'm just worried about the steep, STEEP drop-off after Maurice, Stoltenberg, The Twins, and Newell. There is nothing worth mentioning right now behind those 5 guys. Considering how injury-prone most DT's seem to be, that's...not good.

I think you guys are all short changing Logan Rath a bit. We'll see but I think he can do a good job of giving those other DTs a breather without the huge drop off most of you are predicting.

I forgot about Logan Rath to be honest. I don't know much about him.
Big strong kid out of Giltner. Went to SDSU out of high school but transferred in after a year. Will be a 5th year senior, goes about 6'4 or 6'5 and 285-290 without out being the least bit fat. Showed a bit of explosion the only time I saw him play which was mop up duty a couple years ago.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Big strong kid out of Giltner. Went to SDSU out of high school but transferred in after a year. Will be a 5th year senior, goes about 6'4 or 6'5 and 285-290 without out being the least bit fat. Showed a bit of explosion the only time I saw him play which was mop up duty a couple years ago.

I mean if you guys are right about that and he is at least serviceable as the 6th man in rotation, then I would feel a LOT better. And again, I would point out that our LB's are looking beastly and can probably help out the line a lot this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT