ADVERTISEMENT

Drama, Drama, Everywhere...

DudznSudz

Senior
Feb 4, 2016
My two cents, and feel free to weigh in:

- We need to shelve the talk of hiring a new coach and relax, let the team play, and watch them be extremely hit-and-miss this year, as was the plan all along. They're running a different offense, a new defensive scheme, and their QB situation is, in my opinion, yet to be sorted out. Going forward, I hate to say it, but Coach Cav has probably gotta go. The O-line play just hasn't been there while he's been the coach.

- Firing Riley right now is a terrible idea for financial and perception reasons. Letting Riley finish out this year, and next, and land good recruiting classes, is an excellent idea. I never thought this team was going to be superb this year, but they very well might be in 2018.

- Going forward, relax. This is not the program it was under Osborne, and it never will be again. With good hires (and I would argue our position coaches, in general, have been very good hires), and the defense settling in, we'll be ok.

The thing everyone has to remember is, the people running this program did NOT do the "open the checkbook and sign for whatever amount is demanded" approach to hiring a coach. That is the one way you can get a Meyer, Harbaugh, Dabo Jim Bob Redneck, Saban, etc to show up and turn a program around in 1 year. We instead went the cheaper route, and nothing is particularly wrong with that, it just takes a lot longer to build up a program that way. It's also entirely possible that Riley simply stabilizes the program and then retires anytime between 2018 and 2021. At THAT point, when he retires gracefully (because he is a good guy and has had a long, respectful career) we can talk about bringing in Frost, or going the "splash hire" route, but not until then.

I love Nebraska football, but this fan base can be really negative and entitled. I know we've watched a once-prominent program sink down to being fairly lowly, but it can all be reversed with time and effort, and it IS just football.

13346968_10153740015885945_5142465745197113671_n.jpg

I agree for the most part, especially the entitled part. The fan base wants a championship team and that isn't coming overnight. Regardless on who comes here, this isn't a quick fix job to championships. Secondly, the fan base talks a good game when it comes to what they will do, but history shows we will eat our young inside of a year if we don't think its going the way we want it.

If they hire a big time coach and he doesn't produce championships immediately, the talk will be that we wasted our money on this joker. If we hire a young coach, if there isn't immediate progress made by the end of year two, the patience will run thin.

Reactions: dinglefritz
My two cents, and feel free to weigh in:

I love Nebraska football, but this fan base can be really negative and entitled. I know we've watched a once-prominent program sink down to being fairly lowly, but it can all be reversed with time and effort, and it IS just football.

We lost at home to Northern Illinois. Being mad about that and seeing the writing on the wall isn't being negative. And expecting to beat a MAC opponent at home isn't being entitled.

Should Riley be fired now? no. But if this team doesn't seriously get it's act together there is no way he should be allowed to remain HC after a 3-4 win season. That's TOTALLY unacceptable for playing in the Big Ten West with this schedule in year 3 of his regime. Yeah let's keep him a few more losing seasons to get recruits????

We lost at home to Northern Illinois. Being mad about that and seeing the writing on the wall isn't being negative. And expecting to beat a MAC opponent at home isn't being entitled.

Should Riley be fired now? no. But if this team doesn't seriously get it's act together there is no way he should be allowed to remain HC after a 3-4 win season. That's TOTALLY unacceptable for playing in the Big Ten West with this schedule in year 3 of his regime. Yeah let's keep him a few more losing seasons to get recruits????

I think there's a mid-point between what I'm saying and what you are saying.

I'd admit, a 3-4 win season will have me seriously calling for blood in the program, because that would represent a real disaster. But, on the other hand, you need to think about the position coaches we have, the recruits we've been starting to land, and the overall perceived "health" of a program that keeps hiring and firing head coaches.

That's why I'd say, let it go for a bit, let them get their 6 or 7 wins this year and slowly improve, and let them become a WAY better team by next year.

If the above doesn't happen, then I agree, at the end of the 2018 season, start shopping for a new HC.

Most of us are realistic to know a change is not happening during the season. However - if Riley cannot get this team above .500 - that is 2 out of 3 losing seasons after a coach that won at least 9 games every year in his tenure (with plenty of warts to be sure). Riley won't survive. Get to 7-5 and we'll be grumbly but he'll get one more year. Not sure at his age we can assume he wants to go more than 2-3 year anyway.

i don't think he wants to do this much longer. he knows it's going badly and doesn't know how to stop it.
This is really the big unknown to me. How much energy does MR have left for this? Is he up to rebuilding the offense, even if that means hiring a new OC that runs an offense unlike wha the is used to. Which is what needs to happen, IMO.

I think there's a mid-point between what I'm saying and what you are saying.

I'd admit, a 3-4 win season will have me seriously calling for blood in the program, because that would represent a real disaster. But, on the other hand, you need to think about the position coaches we have, the recruits we've been starting to land, and the overall perceived "health" of a program that keeps hiring and firing head coaches.

That's why I'd say, let it go for a bit, let them get their 6 or 7 wins this year and slowly improve, and let them become a WAY better team by next year.

If the above doesn't happen, then I agree, at the end of the 2018 season, start shopping for a new HC.

I don't count recruits until they are signed. I'm willing to bet that if this disaster keeps up the entire season we finish with a similar recruiting class to the last 2 years which isn't justification for keeping a failed coach another season or 2.

I mean if we were assured a top 10 recruiting class(which isn't even what we are talking about) then what would it matter if they aren't going to be coached and developed right? It's just more wasted time by a failed coaching staff.

The real question needs to be what and how does the AD handle this situation over the next few months. There really needs to be a hard look at SE and how he has handled thing in his tenure so far. Is what he doing going to shape a solid complete athletic program, obviously starting with football. IMO so far that is a big NO. Get an AD in here around November so he/she can evaluate everything and have a decision made by the end of the year.

1. I don't see much fire Riley right now stuff. There is a lot of talk of finding someone else at the end of the year because people "think" this year is going to turn even worse. IMO, that's highly doubtful.
2. It is not entitled to think we should beat a Sun Belt team handily or a actually beat a MAC team that was under .500.
3. You talk about building or stabilizing a program. We are not seeing that.
4. We keep hearing talk about good recruiting. We are heading to Riley's fourth class. The results as rated compared to others seem pretty mediocre. "But, but, but, but this expert said _________ about our recruit!" That expert also said ____________ about a lot of other teams' recruits. "But Riley knows how to find diamonds in rough!" Every fan base thinks their coach can find diamonds in the rough...few do." "Well, we have more redshirts." Really? Is there info about this? OR maybe our recruiting classes are just rated where they should be rated.

1. I don't see much fire Riley right now stuff. There is a lot of talk of finding someone else at the end of the year because people "think" this year is going to turn even worse. IMO, that's highly doubtful.
2. It is not entitled to think we should beat a Sun Belt team handily or a actually beat a MAC team that was under .500.
3. You talk about building or stabilizing a program. We are not seeing that.
4. We keep hearing talk about good recruiting. We are heading to Riley's fourth class. The results as rated compared to others seem pretty mediocre. "But, but, but, but this expert said _________ about our recruit!" That expert also said ____________ about a lot of other teams' recruits. "But Riley knows how to find diamonds in rough!" Every fan base thinks their coach can find diamonds in the rough...few do." "Well, we have more redshirts." Really? Is there info about this? OR maybe our recruiting classes are just rated where they should be rated.

1. It's going to get worse I believe. With the remaining schedule, it may be very difficult to make a bowl game
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. For me, it was never about the rankings. The previous staff was disorganized and never really wanted to capitalize off the Nebraska bran(see Ross Els comments). We were left scrambling quite a bit at the end of the recruiting process under Bo which forced us to take some chances on kids the staff really did not know much about in terms of being a good fit or not. That led to some issues and quite a bit of attrition. I think we are in better hands now from a recruiting standpoint, but...I'm not sure it will really matter as I'm not sure we are bringing in enough talent to make the likes of Riley and Langsdorf look good.

Reactions: otismotis08
- Firing Riley right now is a terrible idea for financial and perception reasons. Letting Riley finish out this year, and next, and land good recruiting classes, is an excellent idea. I never thought this team was going to be superb this year, but they very well might be in 2018.

That 2018 schedule isn't going to help. We could very well be significantly improved and still not have the results we're hoping for.

1. It's going to get worse I believe. With the remaining schedule, it may be very difficult to make a bowl game
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. For me, it was never about the rankings. The previous staff was disorganized and never really wanted to capitalize off the Nebraska bran(see Ross Els comments). We were left scrambling quite a bit at the end of the recruiting process under Bo which forced us to take some chances on kids the staff really did not know much about in terms of being a good fit or not. That led to some issues and quite a bit of attrition. I think we are in better hands now from a recruiting standpoint, but...I'm not sure it will really matter as I'm not sure we are bringing in enough talent to make the likes of Riley and Langsdorf look good.
I don't care about the previous staff. The rankings aren't really about being better than Bo (even if the numbers are similar). The recruiting rankings are pointing to the players we are getting relative to OTHER schools. I think that is the point of them. And the results show we are still mediocre yet we have developed this narrative that says we have some really good recruiting going on.

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
That 2018 schedule isn't going to help. We could very well be significantly improved and still not have the results we're hoping for.

Yep. That's why it feels like Riley needs to win the West this year. Still on the table...mighty tough hill to climb with the product they have rolled out thus far.

Now we see the change in tag lines - Now its the fault of entitled fans or we are taking the slow road and we knew they going to struggle this year - Oh my lord :)

Entitled - Entitled fans are ones who wanted a coach fired for a bad season who had gone to a National Championship game and fired the year the team won 10 games. It means firing a coach who won 9 games a year ( I agreed with this but it looks bad from the outside) Entitled does not mean firing a coach for losing seasons. If Riley has a losing season he is most likely gone if not he stays

Redesigned offense and defense - no pass here especially on Defense Riley hired Banker, cavanaugh, Read and Langsdorf - their failings are his failings. Because he hired the wrong people does not give him a pass even if he changes coaches. Especially when all areas of the team are struggling.

2. Yes
3. Yes

Exactly. Time to get our ducks in a row.

"The previous staff was disorganized and never really wanted to capitalize off the Nebraska bran(see Ross Els comments).

The Nebraska "brand"...hmmm. The Nebraska "brand" has not won a conference title since 1995. We haven't finished in the Top 10 since 2001. Most of the players we have now weren't even out of diapers the last time we were relevant nationally. The sad truth is this is not a Cadillac brand anymore...it's an Oldsmobile and with each passing year it seems to be getting worse. That's what really hurts.

This isn't going to be very fun watching this all play out, but life's not fair and help is not on the way. We can only make the best of what we have now. Riley's our coach, and firing him now isn't the answer. Yes, he's going to need to make a change at QB, and quickly. Will it change anything? Dunno, but that's one thing I would at least try short-term. If that doesn't help then we're in for a rough ride and this could take years to turn around-- but it's reality folks. To react now by firing everybody just doesn't make sense, imo. GBR.

Reactions: PistolPacking

And Riley has a history of losing these type of games dating back to Oregon State. In his last few years at OSU they lost to 2 FCS teams at home. This wasn't a fluke. We were also one play away from going to overtime at home against Arkansas State this year.

Reactions: ridge22
As an outsider it really seems tough for your program to build any momentum with the local media scrutiny. I was one that that thought Riley would be a success given what Chryst had said about him for many years and the fact that Barry wanted to hire him after Bielema left.

In general your media is really tough on the program. To talk about firing the AD and coach so early in year 3 is a bit surprising and probably doesn't do much to help recruiting with all the negativity.

I remember in Bielema's 3rd year we almost lost to Cal Poly (FCS progam) and should have lost to that team other then on a fluke play. Fans were calling for Bielema to get fired but overall the media was pretty fair to him. They criticized some of his coaching but they never called for his firing like your writers are doing.

I am not saying Riley is the guy for your program as I thought he'd bring a more physical down-hill style but I think it's too early to tell.

Barry lost to a few non FBS teams early in non-conference. Heck Michigan lost to App State in Lloyd's last year and lost to Oregon by over 30 points but ended up turning that season around and finished 9-4 by beating Tebow and the Florida Gators in their bowl game. Things can change in a hurry.

I'm having to take a step back here for a minute. Who thinks we will fire Mike Riley ... right now? We're not gonna fire him right now. Midseason firings are for coaches that did something bad, not pertaining to wins or losses.

The season has to play out first for Riley, or at least the majority of it. And who knows, maybe we have a winning season.

As an outsider it really seems tough for your program to build any momentum with the local media scrutiny. I was one that that thought Riley would be a success given what Chryst had said about him for many years and the fact that Barry wanted to hire him after Bielema left.

In general your media is really tough on the program. To talk about firing the AD and coach so early in year 3 is a bit surprising and probably doesn't do much to help recruiting with all the negativity.

I remember in Bielema's 3rd year we almost lost to Cal Poly (FCS progam) and should have lost to that team other then on a fluke play. Fans were calling for Bielema to get fired but overall the media was pretty fair to him. They criticized some of his coaching but they never called for his firing like your writers are doing.

I am not saying Riley is the guy for your program as I thought he'd bring a more physical down-hill style but I think it's too early to tell.

Barry lost to a few non FBS teams early in non-conference. Heck Michigan lost to App State in Lloyd's last year and lost to Oregon by over 30 points but ended up turning that season around and finished 9-4 by beating Tebow and the Florida Gators in their bowl game. Things can change in a hurry.

Bielema took over a program hat had won an average of 8.2 wins per year and in years 1 and 2 won 12 and then 9 games. The media isn't going to get nasty after a 12 and 9 win year.

Riley took over a program that averaged more than 9 wins per year for the last 7 years and promptly won 5 then 9.

Bielema won 7 games his third year. If Riley does the same he will keep his job. By the way Bielema followed up that 7 win season with 10-11-11 wins the next 3 years.

Bielema was a young, first-time head-coach who already had a 12-1 season under his belt. Most fans would be willing to be more patient in that situation. Mike Riley's been a head-coach for 20 years and his best season was 10-4, with an average of 6-7 wins a year.

Bielema took over a program hat had won an average of 8.2 wins per year and in years 1 and 2 won 12 and then 9 games. The media isn't going to get nasty after a 12 and 9 win year.

Riley took over a program that averaged more than 9 wins per year for the last 7 years and promptly won 5 then 9.

Bielema won 7 games his third year. If Riley does the same he will keep his job. By the way Bielema followed up that 7 win season with 10-11-11 wins the next 3 years.

I think the other issue is that MR and staff burned through all of their goodwill and political capital with bad play calling and bad clock mismanagement (and frankly, bad luck) in losing to BYU and Illinois in his first year.

If they win those games in year 1, I think he would have much more goodwill from the fanbase and media than what he has now. It would be much more excusable to see this as a transition year if they had won 7 or 8 games in year 1 versus winning 6 games (and essentially giving away a few others).

Bielema was a young, first-time head-coach who already had a 12-1 season under his belt. Most fans would be willing to be more patient in that situation. Mike Riley's been a head-coach for 20 years and his best season was 10-4, with an average of 6-7 wins a year.

For a variety of reasons (He was a drunk, an Iowa alum and not Alvarez) many fans really disliked Bielema from the beginning. I think in hindsight most of his success was tied to Paul Chryst. Bielema's defenses were fairly mediocre during his tenure.

Regarding Riley, I agree that he had a mediocre career at OSU but many in the CFB world thought he could be successful with the full resources. I am starting to think that he's a good coach but not a great coach. I think there would be more signs in year 3 but I would want to reserve judgement until the end of the year.

Many at Wisconsin thought very highly of Shawn E. I think he's good behind the scenes but he's too careful in public. For someone to take such a highly paid and high profile position they need to have a bigger public personality. In the end, I think he put all his chips on Riley based on the feedback he received about the man from Chryst and company at Wisconsin. For that reason he likely doesn't get a second chance if it doesn't work out.

Reactions: timnsun
I'm having to take a step back here for a minute. Who thinks we will fire Mike Riley ... right now? We're not gonna fire him right now. Midseason firings are for coaches that did something bad, not pertaining to wins or losses.

The season has to play out first for Riley, or at least the majority of it. And who knows, maybe we have a winning season.

The fact that we even have to debate this sentence in year 3 should be enough to be a fire able offense.

For a variety of reasons (He was a drunk, an Iowa alum and not Alvarez) many fans really disliked Bielema from the beginning. I think in hindsight most of his success was tied to Paul Chryst. Bielema's defenses were fairly mediocre during his tenure.

Regarding Riley, I agree that he had a mediocre career at OSU but many in the CFB world thought he could be successful with the full resources. I am starting to think that he's a good coach but not a great coach. I think there would be more signs in year 3 but I would want to reserve judgement until the end of the year.

Many at Wisconsin thought very highly of Shawn E. I think he's good behind the scenes but he's too careful in public. For someone to take such a highly paid and high profile position they need to have a bigger public personality. In the end, I think he put all his chips on Riley based on the feedback he received about the man from Chryst and company at Wisconsin. For that reason he likely doesn't get a second chance if it doesn't work out.

Why the heck do you consult with a direct divisional rival about who to hire for your football program? I don't get it. Maybe when Wisconsin needs a new coach we can recommend Pelini.

Why the heck do you consult with a direct divisional rival about who to hire for your football program? I don't get it. Maybe when Wisconsin needs a new coach we can recommend Pelini.
Eichorst didn't just consult with a divisional rival did he? Wasn't it also a friend that he consulted with? Someone he trusted?

If he had no relationship with the people at Wisconsin, your questions holds a lot more weight... but I think the simple answer is it was people whose opinions he trusted.

You fire the AD this year. The new one fires the coach the following year if things continue to be substandard. That's how it usually works.

Reactions: AVeritas

Shawn E is a Barry Alvarez guy and came very very highly recommended by the Big A, I think it would be a very hasty decision on the University behalf to let him go besides it would disappoint Barry.

Last edited:

That's the crux of the matter. Had we hired a first-time/newer coach, instead of a career 6-win coach, we'd at least have some hope of improvement.

Some coaches have "it", some don't. I think Riley's lengthy college coaching record speaks for itself.

Eichorst didn't just consult with a divisional rival did he? Wasn't it also a friend that he consulted with? Someone he trusted?

If he had no relationship with the people at Wisconsin, your questions holds a lot more weight... but I think the simple answer is it was people whose opinions he trusted.
With a grain of salt you are speaking with a friend of Rileys, someone who is beholding to him and yes a a direct rival - I would have taken that opinion with a big grain of salt

Reactions: huskerfan1414
With a grain of salt you are speaking with a friend of Rileys, someone who is beholding to him and yes a a direct rival - I would have taken that opinion with a big grain of salt
Didn't Barry Alvarez consult with Tom at times? Granted, different conference, I know...

What about Ferentz? I'm pretty sure Barry consulted with Kirk as well.

If it's someone you trust, doesn't that carry some weight? Maybe it doesn't, I don't know.

Didn't Barry Alvarez consult with Tom at times? Granted, different conference, I know...

What about Ferentz? I'm pretty sure Barry consulted with Kirk as well.

If it's someone you trust, doesn't that carry some weight? Maybe it doesn't, I don't know.
certainly but when checking references I would think someone with no skin in the game is best

Reactions: timnsun
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT