ADVERTISEMENT

Does Michigan/Mississippi State change the Miles narrative?

The Miles narrative remains unchanged. He is an average coach, with above average talent (at the moment)

Of course whiskey is OK on a Thursday, I’m drinking some at this moment.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I love Miles PG recruit. I think he could be special. He's small but all athlete, with huge bounce and speed.

6'6 wing with top 100 talent went underground.

6'10 inch Husker High School kid with skills. All about his body filling out. Gamble on genetics.

Extend him. Not a big extension. Send a message Moos. Common ground.

Hops. Twitch. Bounce.

If we let this kid slip away because a bunch of people ................

The rest will get me banned, but I'll say it.

KEEP MILES

Reactions: dinglefritz
Neither school would be playing this week without getting some lucky bounces in the final minute and hitting threes at the buzzer in earlier tourney games. So that kind of excuse making really doesn't work for me, but it certainly is useful to add to the argument if you really want Miles back.

Hops. Twitch. Bounce.

KEEP MILES

Glynn Watson was a Top 100 recruit and rated one of the Top 10 point guards in the country out of high school. So far he's led us to zero NCAA tournaments and zero wins in the NIT - despite having several other Top 100-level recruits around him.

So I doubt this kid, who isn't even ranked in the Top 150, is going to turn Tim Miles into an NCAA tournament coach.

Neither school would be playing this week without getting some lucky bounces in the final minute and hitting threes at the buzzer in earlier tourney games. So that kind of excuse making really doesn't work for me, but it certainly is useful to add to the argument if you really want Miles back.
How do most teams advance in tournaments without some luck? If lucky bounces don't count, Nebraska lost to Missouri in 97 and Nebraska hangs one less NC banner. Scott Frost is probably a vilian and not the head coach if the Cornhusker.

The Transitive Property of College Basketball:

Team A beats Team B = Whatever conclusion I want it to.

First of all, I think Miles will be back next year and based on this year's performance that's to be expected. But Michigan beating Texas A&M badly isn't any more of an endorsement of Miles than Michigan needing two missed free throws and a miracle three-pointer to beat Houston is an indictment of Miles. Nor is Michigan State getting beat by a #11 seed that finished 11th in the ACC an indictment of Miles.

Watson wears an old man's headband...his athleticism at this age is comparable. Where is the burst? The twitch?

That's what I look for.

Reactions: Bill_Callahan2.0
How do most teams advance in tournaments without some luck? If lucky bounces don't count, Nebraska lost to Missouri in 97 and Nebraska hangs one less NC banner. Scott Frost is probably a vilian and not the head coach if the Cornhusker.
If Miles only issue was bad luck, I’d still say get him out of Lincoln. No one should have that much bad luck at anything. It’s not good for us. Not good for him.

But I think it’s more than just bad luck. Miles failing to prove his teams can beat good teams when it really mattered most isn’t just bad luck. It’s bad coaching too. So he his last two losses were to an elite 8 team and an NIT final 4 team. Is that suppose to be impressive? His last 2 wins weren’t against an elite 8 school or an NIT final 4 team. That would be impressive.

Reactions: TheNewNU
K-State beat Kentucky = Creighton must not have really stunk up the joint in the opening round.

Hey, this is fun...

But they did.
Creighton sucks.
Of course they did - I watched the game and they were awful. But I was playing the Transitive Property game, which lets me draw whatever conclusion I want.

If Miles only issue was bad luck, I’d still say get him out of Lincoln. No one should have that much bad luck at anything. It’s not good for us. Not good for him.

But I think it’s more than just bad luck. Miles failing to prove his teams can beat good teams when it really mattered most isn’t just bad luck. It’s bad coaching too. So he his last two losses were to an elite 8 team and an NIT final 4 team. Is that suppose to be impressive? His last 2 wins weren’t against an elite 8 school or an NIT final 4 team. That would be impressive.
I was not saying Miles had bad luck. I was referring to the close games and luck of both Ms State and Michigan that the post was referring to

I agree. It takes luck. From my point of view, that's why we shouldn't get too wrapped up in using teams you lost to as a way to validate how you played at the end of the season. After six years, I'd rather look at what our team did or our coach did.

Hops. Twitch. Bounce.

KEEP MILES

Let's not get too excited about a highlight tape. Yes, he's fast and quick and is explosive going right-- which is good enough considering Miles has had entire teams that were one hand dominant. But how good is he going left? How good is his jumper and range?

It's a highlight tape of right hand layups. 6' tall, very quick. Make him go left and he will look to pass or try to go back right. Funky shooting form. Tough to scout off a highlight tape, but that's what I see.

My suggestion for Tim Miles: While out recruiting 5 star players keep his eyes open for old nuns! Seems to work for the Ramblers! Never discount the power of clicking the beads!

It doesn't change the fact that Miles is still an average coach.

Let's not get too excited about a highlight tape. Yes, he's fast and quick and is explosive going right-- which is good enough considering Miles has had entire teams that were one hand dominant. But how good is he going left? How good is his jumper and range?

It's a highlight tape of right hand layups. 6' tall, very quick. Make him go left and he will look to pass or try to go back right. Funky shooting form. Tough to scout off a highlight tape, but that's what I see.

He's got the ability to break people down off the dribble. If he can do that effectively, Nebraska has a chance to be really, really good next year.

I'm all for a great new coach if he can keep this commitment. Either way.

P.S. This kid goes left all the time. He goes back to his right hand because that's his shooting hand. You don't finish that often with your off-hand. He's not ambidextrous.

Considering what 1 nun has done for Loyola Chicago, Miles should look to recruit an entire convent.

He's got the ability to break people down off the dribble. If he can do that effectively, Nebraska has a chance to be really, really good next year.

I'm all for a great new coach if he can keep this commitment. Either way.

P.S. This kid goes left all the time. He goes back to his right hand because that's his shooting hand. You don't finish that often with your off-hand. He's not ambidextrous.

I didn't see him finish on the left side. Always wanted to turn back to his right. At the next level, good defenders will let him go left and keep him left.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT