ADVERTISEMENT

Do you want to see Rhule return next year?

Do you want to see Rhule return

• Yes

Votes: 75 78.1%
  • No

Votes: 21 21.9%

• Total voters
We are regressing again. We look stupid against any good coach. We are stuck with him but I’m all but done with him. Do you think Rhule ultimately wants to be here, in Nebraska?
I don't think he wants to be here. I think we were the only reputable program interested in hiring him. He saw us as suckers and brought his friends on board for one final payday.

We have WR's that can't get separation because they are too slow yet Satt wants to be a pass happy team in the B1G. It's idiotic. Run the football.

Just firing some coordinators might make us feel good for a moment, but the problem is Matt Rhule. These are his hand picked guys, so this is who he thinks is good. His judgement sucks. So we fire a coach after the second season, who cares. We want to win and this loss deserves a firing.

Why can Indiana get so much better but Nebraska can't. Some of you think that is ok. It's not.
I don’t think it’s okay. IU brought over 20 players over from a nationally ranked team and cherry picked the MAC player of the year for their QB. We would be better with Rourke too. Cignetti obviously appears to be a better coach than Rhule and his coordinators are much better than ours.

Not a good poll because Rhule isn’t going anywhere at least for 2-3 years unless he steps down.

A better poll would be what assistant is most at risk by season’s end?

Foley #1, Satterfield #2, OL coach Raiola #3 (probably won’t though because DR might leave because of relation)

We are regressing again. We look stupid against any good coach. We are stuck with him but I’m all but done with him. Do you think Rhule ultimately wants to be here, in Nebraska?
No I don't think he does nor do I think he ever truly wanted to be. He was hoping Nebraska would be a stepping stone. He is an east coast guy.

I don't think he wants to be here. I think we were the only reputable program interested in hiring him. He saw us as suckers and brought his friends on board for one final payday.
Bull chit, that pos Trev Albert’s kept after him. I think Rhule turned us down at first iirc?
Anyway, wish we could’ve gotten Urbs.

Reactions: Meanfarmer3160
I don’t think it’s okay. IU brought over 20 players over from a nationally ranked team and cherry picked the MAC player of the year for their QB. We would be better with Rourke too. Cignetti obviously appears to be a better coach than Rhule and his coordinators are much better than ours.
Why can't we do that?

Redshirt freshman qb against 6th year senior match ups don’t go well sometimes. What is disappointing is that DR doesn’t seem to be adjusting to the adjustments other teams are making to him. That falls on the oc and qb coach, or DR himself.
Thing is we had every opportunity to go after a 6th year senior qb ourselves, and would have been able to bring in a tall, physical receiver who can actually block at the same time. If Texas can keep Arch Manning happy behind Quinn Ewers for 2 years, there's no reason we shouldn't have been able to do the same with Raiola for 1 year. And quite frankly Manning has shown a lot more up to this point than Raiola has.

All due respect To all, but isn’t all this just a bit premature after one bad loss? Pelini Had one of these every year, still won at a reasonable clip. It’s awfully concerning that we may be spending 10 million a year for Pelini level competence, but I don’t think we can be sure we have incompetence yet in MR.
One bad loss? Just wait a week.

I was very vocal about not wanting Rhule and took a lot of heat on here, and obviously I still stand by that. I don't know who to get now, the pool seems smaller right now but maybe some folks will emerge later in the year.
There's been entirely too much grifting among the AD and football staff the last 10 years, we need to restructure how we do contracts. Something VERY incentive laden....just spitballing but 500k for every non-con win against a non power 5, 1 million for a non con win, 1.5 for a conference win, 5 million for a conference title, etc. with something like a 3 million a year minimum. Something that is VERY rewarding for the person that wins, but that forces good decision making and non-nepotism hires.

Reactions: JohhnieSouth
I still think Rhule can be a good, even great coach here but this was a very bad loss for his trajectory and by far his worst loss since being here.

The CFB game has changed since he was a college coach and I don’t think he realized how much when he took the job.

He said himself he doesn’t know how to quick fix, but in today’s CFB world you have to figure that out. He better be hitting the portal very hard this off season with a couple assistant changes.

That contract of his may be for 8 years or whatever but the belief he can get it done will run out soon without the appropriate moves.

Rhule is not going to get canned anytime soon, no matter how bad the product on the field becomes. At the end of this season his buyout would be $56 million. And no, we don't have a bunch of rich donors who would gladly pony up that kind of cash to make a change.

We are stuck with another .500 coach. I laugh at everyone who thinks year 3 will be like Baylor or Temple.
Unless we get some new coaches with IQs over 70, we will continue to play like Larry, Curly and Moe.
Hell, I would take an experienced O-line coach. He could have an IQ lower than 70 for all I care.

Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk!

Last edited:
Reactions: cornwoman
Rhule is not going to get canned anytime soon, no matter how bad the product on the field becomes. At the end of this season his buyout would be $56 million. And no, we don't have a bunch of rich donors who would gladly pony up that kind of cash to make a change.
That 56 million would be payed over the course of several years.

And many if not most Husker fans despised Tim Beck when he was here…..and Shawn Watson….and Barney Cotton.. Who am I leaving out? Who was Riley’s OC?

Andy Reid got run out of Philly and he was the head coach/OC. He gets Mahommes and he’s a brilliant OC all over again. I’ve not liked Satt’s plans or play calling but we’re playing a rookie QB and I predicted he was going to struggle this year. Satt HAS to commit to the run even if it’s a 3 yard per carry deal. Gotta put Dylan in more favorable 2nd and 3rd down situations.

FWIW our defense’s ineptitude has applied extreme pressure on Dylan by forcing us to try to do too much on every series. TW needs to get his sh## together too.
Agreed that every aspect of the game was a butt whooping. There isn't a single position group that did well

I'd have to look it up but doubt cignetti is at Indiana very long

Reactions: dinglefritz
Didn't want him in the first place
This except no one with a big name is going to come here. After to take the leftovers or some young up and comer and ride him for 3 to 5 years before he leaves for a title contender. It’s too hard to recruit consistently here. Not enough talent around the region. Top recruiters don’t want to live on a plane when they can get their studs in a 500 mile radius and see their kids and wife.

Rourke played only in the first half against us. Their second string QB had just as much success in the second half as Rourke did in the first half. It was a complete failure by Tony White and his defense.

Why can't we do that?
In part because our fanbase would have howled if we had hired a no name like Cignetti. Now we’re pot committed. Something in the back of my brain is making me think Trev realized he had blown the hire and was going to get out of town while the getting was good😕. I hope that’s wrong. I hope Rhule makes adjustments and rights the ship.

• Sad
Reactions: BrighteRed24
Just firing some coordinators might make us feel good for a moment, but the problem is Matt Rhule. These are his hand picked guys, so this is who he thinks is good. His judgement sucks. So we fire a coach after the second season, who cares. We want to win and this loss deserves a firing.
How has the coaching carousel worked out for us thus far???

Rourke played only in the first half against us. Their second string QB had just as much success in the second half as Rourke did in the first half. It was a complete failure by Tony White and his defense.
True dat. I’ve been concerned about our defense from day one. I’ve posted those concerns many times. Some of it is scheme. Some of it is a lack of athleticism at a few positions. Some of it is mental mistakes.

We wont move past Rhule unless/until it’s clear that he can’t move us up a tier. At this point, he could potentially shake things up a bit and address the problems. I think most of that shake up has to wait until the offseason unfortunately.

I do wonder how it would go down if we finish 5-7 after starting 5-1. The team that played yesterday looks like it has that kind of finish in them.

Personally, as a fan, I like coaching searches. It is fun to hear the rumors and try to figure out who is the top target.

I also personally can't wait for 6th year covid guys to be gone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT