ADVERTISEMENT

Dixon

Dixon should be granted immediate eligibility if Patterson got the waiver to play right away at Michigan. This is big news for NU defense.

I'll be surprised if he is a starter.
there are a lot of returning LBs with a lot more experience and juco transfer with more experience.
he's fighting an uphill battle
at LB knowing where to be and where to go is the key to playing
sometimes the slowest, least athletic player is the best one
Injuries happen

there are a lot of returning LBs with a lot more experience and juco transfer with more experience.

Athleticism alone he is ahead of all of them.

This is a new defense. Everyone is on the same learning curve. We don't have anyone in our starting 4 with that kind of speed

Last edited:
A lot of returning ILB. Our OLB’s are a complete unknown. I expect him to start the first game.

If that's the case for us at LB this year, we are in just as much trouble as we were last year. Absolutely need to get some speed on the edge for this defense to work, especially with our situation at CB.

Reactions: JBreezy79
Question for the board. Do you think our chances of beating Michigan are better with both Patterson and Dixon eligible or both ineligible.

Obviously I want Dixon eligible as it makes our team better regardless of Patterson’s impact for Michigan

With Shea Patterson at Michigan, one of the richest and high profile programs, leading the NCAA appeal against Ole Miss, one of the decades sloppiest cheaters, it was inevitable. If Patterson transferred to Purdue, maybe the NCAA would have ruled against him just because, but this is Michigan. As Tarkanian said once, the NCAA got so made at Kentucky they gave Cleveland State two more years probation. They're not going to mess with Michigan's starting QB.

As for Dixon, the only real experienced competition at OLB was Luke Gifford who was injured. I guess Alex Davis started some games, but he never locked up a position. At the outside LB position, it is wide open. I expect him to be in the rotation certainly, and the likely starter. Even guys like Ferguson and Miller who have promise don't have the kind of skills that Dixon has. At least, they have different skills. Dixon is a bit unique IMO as far as the OLB candidates go. He may find more competition from an incoming freshman than the rest of the OLB's at Nebraska. Now our inside backers, we have lots of options. That's a much, much deeper group with a lot of serious competition.

Reactions: saluno22
some have speculated that just because one Ole Miss transfer has been declared immediately eligible it doesn't automatically mean that every Ole MIss transfer will also be immediately eligible

while I can't imagine Dixon not being eligible given the Patterson ruling - I am told the NCAA reviews each case separately based on year of the player transferring, impact of the coaching change etc, etc

I fully expect Dixon to be eligible but some have said it isn't 100% assured even with the Patterson ruling

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
wouldnt be the worst to have him sit a year. Next year is a bit of a throw away season ..in a couple more years he would be a senior on a team that can make some noise....I hope

Hope Gifford gets right and can be ready for the season. Would be nice to have Dixon as an OLB option. Kid is legit and would be valuable in a hybrid LB/S role.

A lot of returning ILB. Our OLB’s are a complete unknown. I expect him to start the first game.
maybe OLB is less competitive.
but a famous defensive coach once said "fast guys going the wrong direction are the worst kind of guys you can have."

maybe OLB is less competitive.
but a famous defensive coach once said "fast guys going the wrong direction are the worst kind of guys you can have."
So you prefer slow football players and assume Dixon doesn’t know what he’s doing? OK

You’ve seen the kid play right? He’s not fighting an uphill battle especially at olb/nickel/safety type. The kids a gamer and they won’t keep him off the field unless they absolutely have to. We don’t have near enough talent returning at any position to say he couldn’t be an immediate starter.

Reactions: davecasper
Even if Gifford heals up nicely and starts, it sure wouldn't hurt to have Dixon in the 2 deep.

That famous guy must have not had the pleasure of watching Terrell Farley.
Everybody thinks Farley was really fast because he was always in the middle of where plays ended up. He was the definition of a slow guy that always went the right direction. I have heard Damon Benning tell stories about him, and he said most of the d-linemen were faster that Farley. A guy I personally know who played with him said the same thing. He told me Farley was sort of like Forrest Gump. He wasn't even supposed to be a starter, and initially played because of injury. When he did get in a game, the ball just always ended up being in his lap. He said it was as if Farley would accidentally make a ton of plays. He was that guy who always went the right way.

https://www.landof10.com/michigan/shea-patterson-michigan-football-eligibility-ncaa-ole-miss-appeal

He's gonna get the waiver, and Dixon probably will too.

I do not want to weigh how good it is for NU to have some Michigan player ride pine for a year so we can try to jump up and get them with a worse defense than what we could field for the other 10 or 11 games. Loser mentality and a sign of how far NU has fallen.

If you don't think Dixon will start, you didn't listen very well to the reports out of spring ball and you didn't watch very closely to see how awful the OLB play was last year.

Stille was arguably their best OLB. He was a true freshman. Now he's a DE. This defense needs Dixon and needs him badly.

Everybody thinks Farley was really fast because he was always in the middle of where plays ended up. He was the definition of a slow guy that always went the right direction. I have heard Damon Benning tell stories about him, and he said most of the d-linemen were faster that Farley. A guy I personally know who played with him said the same thing. He told me Farley was sort of like Forrest Gump. He wasn't even supposed to be a starter, and initially played because of injury. When he did get in a game, the ball just always ended up being in his lap. He said it was as if Farley would accidentally make a ton of plays. He was that guy who always went the right way.
No one is that “lucky”. He had good speed plus exceptional football IQ

what.gif

Farley ran a 4.6 40.. He also ran a 48.02 400. He was not slow.

Thank you for posting his numbers. With all due respect to resdog, Farley may not have had great top-end speed, but he was as quick as they come. I would liken his acceleration to Randy Gregory's. Very similar quickness when you watch their film. And they both covered a ton of ground in a short period of time. I would bet both of their 10-yard dash times were lightning fast.

Reactions: keilwitzg

There is a lot of wrong here collected in one post:

1. Playing at the JUCO level does not give your more experience than playing in the SEC. I'm not even sure how you can seriously make that claim.

2. Nebraska's outside linebackers were among the LEAST talented pass rushers in the Big Ten last season. The fact Alex Davis started most games is an indictment on the program.

3. Stille, is ideally at his best with his hand on the ground as a 3-4 DE. He was their best pass rusher only because nobody else was really on his talent level.

4. Breon Dixon is a versatile athlete who can be flexed into numerous spots on the defense. He will start from day one.

Sorry for cluttering the board. Didn't see the other thread before I posted. At least it's current news and not a Riley post from three years ago, but feel free to delete or merge.

Reactions: saluno22
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT