ADVERTISEMENT

Didn’t make the cut with Olmstead

Bummer, looked like a good prospect.

Yes was hoping we were going to be in the mix. WAY, WAY too early to draw any conclusions but this year we will get a better feel as to who our strongest recruiters are and where we might have some weaknesses.

It is always a concern to me when another divisional team and us go after a recruit hard and they - Minnesota in this case - are a finalist and we are not. Maybe the kid has some connection to Minnesota.

We were scrambling pretty hard at the end of the year to fill the oline class - more than some of the other position groups - so will be interested in how oline recruiting progresses

But as I said above too early to draw any conclusions given the transition class last year and an n of 1 (Olmstead) this year

Yes was hoping we were going to be in the mix. WAY, WAY too early to draw any conclusions but this year we will get a better feel as to who our strongest recruiters are and where we might have some weaknesses.

It is always a concern to me when another divisional team and us go after a recruit hard and they - Minnesota in this case - are a finalist and we are not. Maybe the kid has some connection to Minnesota.

We were scrambling pretty hard at the end of the year to fill the oline class - more than some of the other position groups - so will be interested in how oline recruiting progresses

But as I said above too early to draw any conclusions given the transition class last year and an n of 1 (Olmstead) this year
I agree with Sam McKewon on this one. The likelihood of signing a top offensive lineman from far away places is so small that it's not something to spend a lot of time on. Historically, our best linemen have been from the 500 mile radius and Texas. Brendan Stai is the last great lineman I can remember from either coast and he would probably have been a three star by today's ratings. We did get a couple from Hawaii, but those two weren't five stars if I recall.

Reactions: jeans15 and jlb321
I agree with Sam McKewon on this one. The likelihood of signing a top offensive lineman from far away places is so small that it's not something to spend a lot of time on. Historically, our best linemen have been from the 500 mile radius and Texas. Brendan Stai is the last great lineman I can remember from either coast and he would probably have been a three star by today's ratings. We did get a couple from Hawaii, but those two weren't five stars if I recall.

Completely agree ... I wouldn’t have given it a second thought until I saw that Minnesota made his top 5 and we did not. — the kid is from New Jersey - so every school on his list with the exception of Rutgers is quite a distance. It doesn’t appear that proximity to home was much of a factor in narrowing things down

He's very likely going to Notre Dame, they've been the favorite the entire time. They're not necessarily elite at recruiting every position but they are tough to beat for olinemen.

Reactions: jlb321

Just remember that they don't recruit position specific across the board. They cover regions and then the position coach assists.

Held will bring in the most recruits and that will happen every year - he is a stud.

He's very likely going to Notre Dame, they've been the favorite the entire time. They're not necessarily elite at recruiting every position but they are tough to beat for olinemen.

A better way of saying it is, is that ND is tough to beat a top level recruit that they want that also attends a private catholic high school, especially when the parents are big into religion. I'm just saying.

A better way of saying it is, is that ND is tough to beat a top level recruit that they want that also attends a private catholic high school, especially when the parents are big into religion. I'm just saying.
Look at their oline recruiting rankings and look at their recent draft history and presence in the NFL. They recruit oline basically as good as anybody and are about to add two more first rounders, one of which people are saying is the best guard they've ever scouted. We're not winning many oline recruiting battles against them no matter where the recruit is from.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT