ADVERTISEMENT

Did Cav save his job today?

Toms Wife

Sophomore
Jan 7, 2017
0 Sacks
100 yard rusher
Almost 200 yards rushing on the day

It was far from perfect but much better.

rutgres-vi.jpg

Shawn Eichorst's firing saved their jobs for the rest of the season (perhaps). Someone has to coach the football team for the next 8 games, so the guys currently doing the job are the best option (perhaps).

However, the situation looks very dire. Nebraska looks like a bad football team. Can anyone see this team winning more than 4 or 5 games? Can they even win 4 or 5? If they don't get to 6 wins, Riley and his crew are likely gone.

Reactions: HuskerDana
Diaco is making the offensive coaches look bad. He's proved it doesn't take more than 3 years to improve a unit. It took him 6 quarters of football.

And I want to give props to all the D coaches. Doing a hell of a job. Very proud of them. Danny, Cav, & Davis need to go.

I think we had a bad snap penalty or something like that? I thought we were better this week. Rutgers was supposed to have a pretty good DL. Still have work to do though.

Reactions: TFrazier
Hmmm, I guess I was thinking the opposite when watching the game. I am probably wrong then.

My brother and I kept commenting on how the Rutger DL was having a huge push and our OL couldn't clear the way. Our RBs kept getting hit behind the line of scrimmage (albeit by a corner blitz a time or two) and Lee was hurried several times (on the not pick six).

I watched the first half with a lagging video stream, so maybe the OL did play decent. I just didn't think so during the game and was wanting Langs and Cav fired immediately :)

Hmmm, I guess I was thinking the opposite when watching the game. I am probably wrong then.

My brother and I kept commenting on how the Rutger DL was having a huge push and our OL couldn't clear the way. Our RBs kept getting hit behind the line of scrimmage (albeit by a corner blitz a time or two) and Lee was hurried several times (on the not pick six).

I watched the first half with a lagging video stream, so maybe the OL did play decent. I just didn't think so during the game and was wanting Langs and Cav fired immediately :)

I agree. The announcers even said this much. Better O-line play and we don't settle for 2 FGs in the 4th. Don't really get why so many people still love Cav, especially when it's a spot that had highly recruited guys on it. Please see my post about Diaco. Someone that doesn't need 3+ years to improve his unit.

* "Don't really get why so many people still love Cav's coaching, I mean. Great guy. Horrible coach

The line was trash until Rutgers got tired. How many times did we have a lineman simply get overpowered 1 on 1 in the first 3 quarters? How many times were our backs hit behind the LOS because someone missed a block?

The answer to both is way more times than should be acceptable.

Watching Iowa and Penn State right now, I do not think it is going to matter. NU will have a pretty tough time finding a win after next Friday. In fact, NU may have a hard time staying within a couple of scores after Friday.

Diaco is making the offensive coaches look bad. He's proved it doesn't take more than 3 years to improve a unit. It took him 6 quarters of football.

And I want to give props to all the D coaches. Doing a hell of a job. Very proud of them. Danny, Cav, & Davis need to go.

Please, it was Rutgers and they were not world beaters on offense or defense. Each week will get more and more difficult. I am not sure I would even use the word "improved" for this defense. They have improved from the first game to the fourth for sure. But to be any kind of dominant D they have a long ways to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuskerHusaria
Watching Iowa and Penn State right now, I do not think it is going to matter. NU will have a pretty tough time finding a win after next Friday. In fact, NU may have a hard time staying within a couple of scores after Friday.
Difficult to "like" this, but I'll call it, "I agree with you". Lol

I don't disagree with your assessment, Tru. But spinner is right. The defense is improving at a much faster rate than the offense.

Reactions: spinner4
I agree. The announcers even said this much. Better O-line play and we don't settle for 2 FGs in the 4th. Don't really get why so many people still love Cav, especially when it's a spot that had highly recruited guys on it. Please see my post about Diaco. Someone that doesn't need 3+ years to improve his unit.

* "Don't really get why so many people still love Cav's coaching, I mean. Great guy. Horrible coach

iirc, Cavanaugh has been under attack since the beginning of the hire, and people were defending him back then. Maybe they've been defending him for so long that it's become a habit.

iirc, Cavanaugh has been under attack since the beginning of the hire, and people were defending him back then. Maybe they've been defending him for so long that it's become a habit.

This and a lot of these same very people throw out any notion of improvement on defense. It's "Oregon was too conservative in the 2nd half, NIU & RU are awful" excuse. Their like an ostrich and they use this so that they can ignore the real problem with the team. Cav & Danny

This and a lot of these same very people throw out any notion of improvement on defense. It's "Oregon was too conservative in the 2nd half, NIU & RU are awful" excuse. Their like an ostrich and they use this so that they can ignore the real problem with the team. Cav & Danny
It seems to me the sentiment on Cav is turning rather rapidly... up until this year most people like me were saying he had a mash unit, he had lack of depth, lack of talent, etc... this year has shown that his coaching is more of an issue than any of us optimists even imagined.

And regarding the defense, is it really the defenders of Cav claiming the defense is a paper tiger? It seems to me those claiming the defense is smoke and mirrors are the ones who never got behind Riley to begin with, or were at the very least, incredibly skeptical about the hire.

Reactions: headcard
I assume he'll be here until season's end at least. But what does this game show? It was against a weak opponent at home, and we put up all of 27. I'm not yet sure that the D is that much better at this point either, considering the opponent. It was some better, because this week we won against the weak opponent like we should have last week. But we are 2-2, and still looking like 4-4 or 3-5 from here on.

It seems to me the sentiment on Cav is turning rather rapidly... up until this year most people like me were saying he had a mash unit, he had lack of depth, lack of talent, etc... this year has shown that his coaching is more of an issue than any of us optimists even imagined.

And regarding the defense, is it really the defenders of Cav claiming the defense is a paper tiger? It seems to me those claiming the defense is smoke and mirrors are the ones who never got behind Riley to begin with, or were at the very least, incredibly skeptical about the hire.
starting a center that has played center his whole career probably didn't hurt us. Maybe Decker is the key to keeping our O line functioning. Cav did the same thing to Thurston. I'm not sure I understand how he's grading the position and deciding on playing time.

I assume he'll be here until season's end at least. But what does this game show? It was against a weak opponent at home, and we put up all of 27. I'm not yet sure that the D is that much better at this point either, considering the opponent. It was some better, because this week we won against the weak opponent like we should have last week. But we are 2-2, and still looking like 4-4 or 3-5 from here on.
starting a center that has played center his whole career probably didn't hurt us. Maybe Decker is the key to keeping our O line functioning. Cav did the same thing to Thurston. I'm not sure I understand how he's grading the position and deciding on playing time.
So true about having experience at the Center position. I think Decker will only continue to improve and shine if given the opportunity.

No. This was Rutgers. Currently 14 loss streak vs BigTen. The O line didn't do enough against a bad Rutgers team to convince me he should stay.

Not that I'm a big Cav fan, because I think he has stunk, but Washington tried running against this Rutgers defense and struggled to the tune of 84 yards on the ground. I believe they averaged something like 3.1 yards a carry.

They have substantially upgraded their talent vs previous years.

Decker and Jaimes need to stay in the lineup, the improvement is obvious. Plus you don't pull a guys red shirt to move him back to the bench after a game or two.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Decker and Jaimes need to stay in the lineup, the improvement is obvious. Plus you don't pull a guys red shirt to move him back to the bench after a game or two.
Yep. Jaimes > than Farniok and Knevel can't even make it through one damn game without dicking up his ankle.

Not that I'm a big Cav fan, because I think he has stunk, but Washington tried running against this Rutgers defense and struggled to the tune of 84 yards on the ground. I believe they averaged something like 3.1 yards a carry.

They have substantially upgraded their talent vs previous years.
Good info! What are your thoughts on Cav remaining?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT