ADVERTISEMENT

Diaco

Since when do the coordinators have to do any press conferences? I think the head coach usually handles that stuff. I don't see why Diaco ever has to talk to anybody.

Reactions: Jason R Ward
in all seriousness, what explanation is he going to give you that will suffice? If you want to believe he played vanilla, you are going to spin what he says to fit that narrative. If you want to believe he was just outschemed, nothing he is going to say is changing your mind.

Here is the deal, Nebraska defensively did not play well, few adjustments were made outside of the 15 plays Arkansas State had the ball in the 3rd quarter. The defensive line played base for 80 of 89 plays, be that 3 or 4 man fronts. The didn't blitz much because they would have put themselves at a disadvantage on the back end by sending 5 or 6. Arkansas St. executed a dink and dunk passing game designed to take away the pass rush and protect their new OLine. The fact they were 75/25 pass to run tells you that they wanted nothing to do with lining up and running the ball.

Most people on here are smart enough to figure those things out. It's just that some of you need to hear Diaco say his team didn't execute or that he was outcoached. But the fact is, as I said before, nothing he would have said would change you opinion.
Im not sure about others but I dont want to hear Diaco say he was outcoached. If he was to say they were being vanilla I would understand but why did it stay that way to the point of almost losing the game. I dont know if he has a good answer but it would be nice to hear.

in all seriousness, what explanation is he going to give you that will suffice? If you want to believe he played vanilla, you are going to spin what he says to fit that narrative. If you want to believe he was just outschemed, nothing he is going to say is changing your mind.

Here is the deal, Nebraska defensively did not play well, few adjustments were made outside of the 15 plays Arkansas State had the ball in the 3rd quarter. The defensive line played base for 80 of 89 plays, be that 3 or 4 man fronts. The didn't blitz much because they would have put themselves at a disadvantage on the back end by sending 5 or 6. Arkansas St. executed a dink and dunk passing game designed to take away the pass rush and protect their new OLine. The fact they were 75/25 pass to run tells you that they wanted nothing to do with lining up and running the ball.

Most people on here are smart enough to figure those things out. It's just that some of you need to hear Diaco say his team didn't execute or that he was outcoached. But the fact is, as I said before, nothing he would have said would change you opinion.
Agree with all above. However, there is a way any game is played. Your 300 pound aunt shows up in a yellow dress? You tell her she looks nice and you like her dress. Your boss gets a bad haircut that makes his bad comb-over look worse? You tell him he got a sharp looking haircut. Your defense gives up almost 500 yards? You talk briefly to reporters saying you need to look at the film, we need to do better, and ASU was a good team.. It is the way it is done.

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
Doesn't bother me one way or the other. He loses his chance to explain or put his spin on things, but the staff can put out whoever they want to talk to reporters any given week.

Im not sure about others but I dont want to hear Diaco say he was outcoached. If he was to say they were being vanilla I would understand but why did it stay that way to the point of almost losing the game. I dont know if he has a good answer but it would be nice to hear.

Hear what? That he doesn't have a good answer. Which goes back to my original point. No answer will be good enough to stop the speculation and the Sunday morning quarterbacking and second guessing.

Hear what? That he doesn't have a good answer. Which goes back to my original point. No answer will be good enough to stop the speculation and the Sunday morning quarterbacking and second guessing.
It's not about what he says, it's not hard to give an answer that means nothing. It's about not skipping out on the difficult parts of your job because your unit didn't get it done. I honestly don't really care about this but if he just gave answers and said need to look at the tape, make some adjustments, they showed some stuff we hadn't seen on tape, blah blah blah and leave after 3 minutes were not talking about it. And if he's not emotionally stable or intelligent enough to do that then that's a problem.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
Good grief, it's week one. Is it too much to ask that we give the guy a few games, maybe even an entire season before we throw him under the bus??? If the Defense doesn't improve, and continues to underperform, then yes, I would agree that he needs to take the heat. But it's week one folks.

Reactions: HuskerO and timnsun
It's not about what he says, it's not hard to give an answer that means nothing. It's about not skipping out on the difficult parts of your job because your unit didn't get it done. I honestly don't really care about this but if he just gave answers and said need to look at the tape, make some adjustments, they showed some stuff we hadn't seen on tape, blah blah blah and leave after 3 minutes were not talking about it. And if he's not emotionally stable or intelligent enough to do that then that's a problem.
98% of this I am fine with... your last sentence I am not.

Assuming silence means he's emotionally unstable or lacks intelligence is a HUGE leap I my opinion.

Reactions: HuskerO
Since when do the coordinators have to do any press conferences? I think the head coach usually handles that stuff. I don't see why Diaco ever has to talk to anybody.

I believe the media submits requests to NU's SID office of players and coaches they'd like to speak with during the post-game presser. I'm not sure any one is required to speak (Maybe Riley's contract mandates it). Perhaps it's happened before when the media requested a coordinator and he said no. I suspect it is unusual, though. I would not be surprised if the last NU DC to blow off the media after a game was Bo Pelini.

Don't care if any of the coaches say a damn word to anyone. Get to work on Oregon and play well, come out with a "W" and let our play on the field speak for itself. I watched the game, I don't need to hear any coach speak, which is all you get anyway. In short, a bunch of nuthing burgers.

And if he gives an answer that means nothing, he is called out for dodging questions. The same thread is created, just with a different title. Some people are looking for blood in the water so they can strike with the I told you so crap that inevitably come after a game where the a side of the ball doesn't play well.

For someone who honestly doesn't care about this, you have shared quite a few posts voicing an opinion that indicates otherwise.

You can look at several topics on this thread that I haven't responded to, those are the topics I don't care about. Topics I care about and have an opinion on, you will see me posting. Strange how that works.

If we are taking away the 9 points that our defense didn't give up do we still get to keep the 9 points that their defense didn't give up????

No. The discussion is about our defense, not special teams.

As much as it pains me to say I agree with guys like Sipple and Barfy on this one. If you are going to preach about ownership and what it means to be a Blackshirt then you must man up and face the media after wins and losses. Part of the job and part of making a huge salary is answering dumb questions from the local media circus.
I hear their Bobos doing interviews. Give these a&& clowns a train ride too Yanktown. If Bo Bo would of left their self righteous butts hanging, they would ooze about the Fire and Passion from his loins. Do any of you really care what these dolts think and write. If we continue to eat are own like these dolts want ,we will soon become the yanktown of the plains. The wasteland of college football .Is it really to much to ask that these dumb a@@ hacks let Diaco meet with his Defense at the end of the game. And God forbid he keeps them waiting tell Tuesday , Giving him time to check the game film and give a more informed answers to their stupid and leading questions. Bitch moan whine it's all we ever hear any more, it's really getting old ,grow up and try not to ruin football season for the rest of us fans players and future players and coaches. Seriously Riley is one tough cookie putting up with these loons !!

By not talking to the media he's created a stupid non-story that he or Riley is now going to have to address. If he gives the media a few sound bites, they're writing about a scare and a need to get better, not about a petty beef. Welcome to life in the fishbowl, Bobby.
No one would even know or care if the media didn't make a fuss about it. Shoot maybe some in this board didn't know or care until I brought it up.

The only way I'll have a problem with how Diaco deals with the media is if he acts like a pompous jerk to them when asked simple questions.

Hear an answer to why they stayed in base personnel for so long while they were getting burned all the way up to the last play of the game. They switched to nickel and had more success in the 3rd. Why did that change?

The team will embody the leadership they witness. When Bo was here it was a constant complaint the team was undisciplined, etc. How is this different?
I doubt Diaco is preaching the us vs them (which included the fans) to his defense in the locker room.

Diaco not speaking to the media does not reflect poorly on Diaco to his defense.

Good grief, it's week one. Is it too much to ask that we give the guy a few games, maybe even an entire season before we throw him under the bus??? If the Defense doesn't improve, and continues to underperform, then yes, I would agree that he needs to take the heat. But it's week one folks.
Anyone thats throwing him under the bus now is crazy. Just go give the media a few minutes of your time. Answer the questions which is part of the job and then go back to the team.

Anyone thats throwing him under the bus now is crazy. Just go give the media a few minutes of your time. Answer the questions which is part of the job and then go back to the team.
I like Diaco a lot, one game and one skipped media responsibility changes that 0%. Just think it's a bad look in game 1, it hasn't changed my opinion he'll be a great fit here and definitely a net positive. It was never going to be a seamless transition and that was a pretty talented offense with a good game plan. I just think it's pretty easy to placate the media and the fans and to skip that the first game wasn't a great move. That's all. Plus arguing about pointless things is entertaining to me.

I like Diaco a lot, one game and one skipped media responsibility changes that 0%. Just think it's a bad look in game 1, it hasn't changed my opinion he'll be a great fit here and definitely a net positive. It was never going to be a seamless transition and that was a pretty talented offense with a good game plan. I just think it's pretty easy to placate the media and the fans and to skip that the first game wasn't a great move. That's all. Plus arguing about pointless things is entertaining to me.
This post is much different than implying he is unintelligent or emotionally unstable.

Hear an answer to why they stayed in base personnel for so long while they were getting burned all the way up to the last play of the game. They switched to nickel and had more success in the 3rd. Why did that change?

That's a false narrative, They didn't switch to nickel more in the second half, they played some, but 80 of 89 in base, 5 of those instances were in the first half, so only 4 were in the second half.

98% of this I am fine with... your last sentence I am not.

Assuming silence means he's emotionally unstable or lacks intelligence is a HUGE leap I my opinion.
This post is much different than implying he is unintelligent or emotionally unstable.
I agree, I don't actually believe that. That was more addressing the argument by multiple people that he shouldn't have spoken because he may have said something in the heat of the moment. I don't actually have that concern about him at all, I followed him very closely at Notre Dame and while he's a little weird, he's not dumb or unstable.

Reactions: timnsun
I just talked to Coach DIACO about your post. He told me to tell you to get a life and get over it. Lol
Or you could have just posted in the original thread instead of starting another look at me thread about the exact same topic and cluttering the board.
Coach DIACO told me to tell you to not worry about it. It's my first thread and I'm still working out the kinks. Lmao

Reactions: HBK4life
That's a false narrative, They didn't switch to nickel more in the second half, they played some, but 80 of 89 in base, 5 of those instances were in the first half, so only 4 were in the second half.
I wasnt sure when the nickel was used thanks for conformation. Do you know what set they were in when Gifford blew up that bubble screen? Were they in the 2 high shell? I dont know what exactly they had more success with in the 3rd but the 4th looked closer to the 1st half. Im just trying understand why.

I am more worried about getting back in the film room... getting back on the practice field and correcting some of the mistakes.. not all i will take some.. people looking around lost would be a good start... same with our press coverage... if im the defensive coord.. i dont care to give the media answers thats not my main concern here.. get back to work..again none of his salary is paid for him to have press conferences.. but i know what a lot of you are saying

sounds like there was miscommunication between Riley and Diaco and now Diaco will speak after games. Problem solved, no big deal now. JMO

Reactions: dinglefritz
sounds like there was miscommunication between Riley and Diaco and now Diaco will speak after games. Problem solved, no big deal now. JMO
Personally I would rather he have a chance to catch his breath, watch the film and then talk to the media after the heat of battle has cooled down. I know the "immediate gratification" society we live in has a problem with waiting a day for anything but I think a day to reflect on the game would make for a much better press conference. We would likely get more thoughtful information.

I wasnt sure when the nickel was used thanks for conformation. Do you know what set they were in when Gifford blew up that bubble screen? Were they in the 2 high shell? I dont know what exactly they had more success with in the 3rd but the 4th looked closer to the 1st half. Im just trying understand why.

I will have to find the instance you are talking about to see what they were in when Gifford made that play.

I think we can reasonably assume that Diaco was really upset and he has a reputation for getting emotional. So since he is not the HC and thereby duty bound to appear, he was smart to hold his tongue.

Last edited:
I think we can reasonable assume that Diaco was really upset and he has a reputation for getting emotional. So since he is not the HC and thereby dury bound to appear, he was smart to hold his tongue.
I don't ever remember Carl Pelini or Papuchis answering questions post game. Banker is the first DC I can remember answering post game questions ever including Tom's years.

I don't ever remember Carl Pelini or Papuchis answering questions post game. Banker is the first DC I can remember answering post game questions ever including Tom's years.

Or Cosgrove,Pelini, Bohl or even Uncle Charlie....

Always remember hearing George Darlington on the radio after a game though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT