ADVERTISEMENT

Deion Sanders to South Florida or Colorado?

Clevinger

Assistant Head Coach
Gold Member
Feb 26, 2007
Yahoo and 247Sports are saying Deion Sanders is in talks with South Florida and Colorado for their jobs. Can we seriously not compete with those schools for him?

Meanwhile, Lars Anderson is sticking with his Mickey Joseph prediction. However, he teased that Eric Bieniemy and Vance Joseph would be the OC and DC respectively, which is admittedly intriguing.

For the love of god though, I will be disappointed if we never reach out to Deion Sanders. I think he is going to continue be really successful as a head coach and recruiter.

Deion very well might be the next best thing... NU however is not in a position to make a gamble like that...

The folks keeping this place relevant by way of ticket and merch sales are the fans that were around in the 90's... that Generation is now predominantly in it's upper 40s & 50's or older... once those folks stop caring it's over...

For Nebraska to get back to where it needs to be its critical it makes the right hire NOW to gain new fans for the future... to do that it can't take wild gambles like Deion...

***Edit... also, do we really want to compare ourselves to Colorado? let's set our sights higher please

Yahoo and 247Sports are saying Deion Sanders is in talks with South Florida and Colorado for their jobs. Can we seriously not compete with those schools for him?

Meanwhile, Lars Anderson is sticking with his Mickey Joseph prediction. However, he teased that Eric Bieniemy and Vance Joseph would be the OC and DC respectively, which is admittedly intriguing.

For the love of god though, I will be disappointed if we never reach out to Deion Sanders. I think he is going to continue be really successful as a head coach and recruiter.
I'm almost positive Lars source for Scott Frost and Fred Hoiberg was Matt Davison. He's been wrong a lot since those 2 predictions.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
Deion very well might be the next best thing... NU however is not in a position to make a gamble like that...

The folks keeping this place relevant by way of ticket and merch sales are the fans that were around in the 90's... that Generation is now predominantly in it's upper 40s & 50's or older... once those folks stop caring it's over...

For Nebraska to get back to where it needs to be its critical it makes the right hire NOW to gain new fans for the future... to do that it can't take wild gambles like Deion...

***Edit... also, do we really want to compare ourselves to Colorado? let's set our sights higher please
Wild gamble?

He is 26-5 overall as a head coach at Jackson State and 11-0 this season. He also been able to pull recruits there they had never previously dreamed of. He has instant credibility and name recognition in every recruit household in the country.

rhule should be asking deon if he wants to be our dc, asap
deon could be working on recruiting the south for dline and lb's

We are looking at guys like Lance Leipold who has gone 2-10 and 6-4 at Kansas and sucks at recruiting, but somehow DEION SANDERS is a huge gamble at 26-5 and all his recruiting success???
Yes. They have had success at a higher level and LL has ties to the area.

Sanders has already stated he will not go west. That is what he told Arizona State.
We are in luck then. Colorado is west of us.

Seriously, Trev needs to reach out.

Any good coach who isn’t an amazing recruiter who can quickly flip a roster is no good to us. They will just slowly wither away here.

Wild gamble?

He is 26-5 overall as a head coach at Jackson State and 11-0 this season. He also been able to pull recruits there they had never previously dreamed of. He has instant credibility and name recognition in every recruit household in the country.
But, but, but, but he coaches in a non P-5 conference, and his abilities won't transfer... not my words, the words all over this board.

He pulled A 4* and A 5* to Jackson State

Trev talked a lot about "fit" with this job. Do you really think DS is a fit at Nebraska?
1) ADs like to say that crap, but it all comes down to winning and they know it. Winning fits everywhere.

2) Everyone said Sanders would stay south. If he goes to Colorado we are going to be kicking ourselves.

But, but, but, but he coaches in a non P-5 conference, and his abilities won't transfer... not my words, the words all over this board.
I really think 2-3 years from now—around the time we start considering firing Leipold because his recruiting sucks and we are still struggling—we are going to regret not going after Sanders.

I really think 2-3 years from now—around the time we start considering firing Leipold because his recruiting sucks and we are still struggling—we are going to regret not going after Sanders.
How do you know Trev hasn't contacted his agent & was told Deion wasn't interested in Nebraska? I'm sure there's plenty of coaches that the search firm has touched base with that we have absolutely no clue about. Do you have inside info about DS?

How do you know Trev hasn't contacted his agent & was told Deion wasn't interested in Nebraska? I'm sure there's plenty of coaches that the search firm has touched base with that we have absolutely no clue about. Do you have inside info about DS?
No. But I would be disappointed if we never tried at all.

Matt Campbell, Lance Leipold…mega boring with ho hum records.

With Rhule out, Fickell is really the only wow hire left for us unless Meyer wants to return to coaching.

Reactions: jsachisler
if kiffen goes to auburn, which makes sence
deon to ole miss would make sence

gruden to south florida before nebraska would make no sence.

Spell assume. Everyone is assuming EVERYTHING on this hire. No one knows with 100% certainty that a coach will work out. Evidence shows only about 1 in 3 tightly touted coaches last more than 3 years at their new school. Only the rearview mirror will show 100% certainty on this hire, until then it is purely hypothetical and assuming your coach is correct or wrong.

Spell assumption. Everyone is assuming EVERYTHING on this hire. No one knows with 100% certainty that a coach will work out. Evidence shows only about 1 in 3 tightly touted coaches last more than 3 years at their new school. Only the rearview mirror will show 100% certainty on this hire, until then it is purely hypothetical and assuming your coach is correct or wrong.
Agree, but you try to get the odds more in your favor with a highly successful coach and recruiter.

Or you could hire Lance Leipold. That 8-14 record at Kansas and just has success written all over it.

• Haha
Reactions: Sinomatic and WHCSC
Agree, but you try to get the odds more in your favor with a highly successful coach and recruiter.

Or you could hire Lance Leipold. That 8-14 record at Kansas and just has success written all over it.
In 2019, the 2 lowest rated hires in college football were Chris Kleiman (C-) and Mac Brown (D+) are the most successful coaches coaching today at their schools. Of the 9 (I think) hired only 4 are still at their school, The coach for Maryland I believe was a B hire. The 2 lowest will more than likely coaching in their conference championship game. These were the lowest odds to make it. The highest coaching odds were fired in about 2 years.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
In 2019, the 2 lowest rated hires in college football were Chris Kleiman (C-) and Mac Brown (D+) are the most successful coaches coaching today at their schools. Of the 9 (I think) hired only 4 are still at their school, The coach for Maryland I believe was a B hire. The 2 lowest will more than likely coaching in their conference championship game. These were the lowest odds to make it. The highest coaching odds were fired in about 2 years.
Rated by whom?

I will freely admit that the flaming wreckage that was the Frost era surprised me, given his last year at UCF.

Reactions: jsachisler
I miss quoted the top 2, but from there down is not good, I forget which magazine or site it was for but it was reputable. 2019 P-5 coach hires.

1) Ryan Day, A-, tOSU, playing for championships
2) Neal Brown, A-, WVA, on the hot seat
3) Scott Satterfield, B-, Louisville, on the hot seat
4) Matt Wells, B-, Texas Tech, FIRED
5) Les Miles, B-, Kansas, FIRED for past discussions at LSU
6) Geoff Collins, C+, Georgia Tech, FIRED
7) Mike Locksley, C+, Maryland, Good hire
8) Manny Diaz, C, Miami, FIRED
9) Mel Tucker, C-, Colorado, Left for MSU (Maybe fired)
10) Chris Klieman, C-, Kansas State, Solid hire
11) Mack Brown, D+, UNC, Solid hire

1) ADs like to say that crap, but it all comes down to winning and they know it. Winning fits everywhere.

2) Everyone said Sanders would stay south. If he goes to Colorado we are going to be kicking ourselves.
I'm not going to kick myself, but you go right ahead and kick yourself all you want.

I miss quoted the top 2, but from there down is not good, I forget which magazine or site it was for but it was reputable. 2019 P-5 coach hires.

1) Ryan Day, A-, tOSU, playing for championships
2) Neal Brown, A-, WVA, on the hot seat
3) Scott Satterfield, B-, Louisville, on the hot seat
4) Matt Wells, B-, Texas Tech, FIRED
5) Les Miles, B-, Kansas, FIRED for past discussions at LSU
6) Geoff Collins, C+, Georgia Tech, FIRED
7) Mike Locksley, C+, Maryland, Good hire
8) Manny Diaz, C, Miami, FIRED
9) Mel Tucker, C-, Colorado, Left for MSU (Maybe fired)
10) Chris Klieman, C-, Kansas State, Solid hire
11) Mack Brown, D+, UNC, Solid hire
I wouldn’t have had Mack Brown, who was previously successful at North Carolina and won a national title, as a D+.

Everyone has their own opinions and hiring coaches is always a crapshoot, but you try to get the best coach and recruiter you can find to improve your odds. This cycle, Meyer is the only one I see that tops Sanders.

I don’t care about rankings. Do you truly believe that the coaches mentioned for this job, outside of Rhule, is going to get Nebraska to a 9 -10 win level in the Big Ten?

Keep in mind, the Big Ten will likely not have divisions after next season, so to get to a conference title game, you are going to have to have a better league record than 1 of Ohio St, Michigan, Penn St, USC, UCLA.

Do any of the guys mentioned give you the confidence that Nebraska will be any better than a 6-8 win team on an annual basis?

I wouldn’t have had Mack Brown, who was previously successful at North Carolina and won a national title, as a D+.

Everyone has their own opinions and hiring coaches is always a crapshoot, but you try to get the best coach and recruiter you can find to improve your odds. This cycle, Meyer is the only one I see that tops Sanders.
I agree. I think his departure at Texas had everyone thinking he was washed up. I've always liked him. I think I heard his wife told him the only school he was allowed to coach at was UNC, she wanted him to permanently retire. This was their negotiated settlement with each other.

Reactions: Clevinger
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT