ADVERTISEMENT

Deion Sanders to South Florida or Colorado?

I don’t care about rankings. Do you truly believe that the coaches mentioned for this job, outside of Rhule, is going to get Nebraska to a 9 -10 win level in the Big Ten?

Keep in mind, the Big Ten will likely not have divisions after next season, so to get to a conference title game, you are going to have to have a better league record than 1 of Ohio St, Michigan, Penn St, USC, UCLA.

Do any of the guys mentioned give you the confidence that Nebraska will be any better than a 6-8 win team on an annual basis?
I think there are about 2-3 coaches who fill that bill. I have voiced my opinion on them in the past and will not bring them to this table. As a coach, you have to instill your culture in your team. Of all the coaches mentioned since day 1, I believe there are 2-3 who could and would do that.

I'm almost positive Lars source for Scott Frost and Fred Hoiberg was Matt Davison. He's been wrong a lot since those 2 predictions.
Matt did like to talk. He was the idiot behind the lies and BS from the cancellation of the opener in Frosts first season. The media guys were literally with him, and Matt loved the attention and fed them everything being discussed. Then when it all went South, Matty poo tried covering his ass by lying that the other team got on a plane and left on purpose to screw NU. Davison is the 2nd worst thing to happen to Husker football this millennium

I wouldn’t have had Mack Brown, who was previously successful at North Carolina and won a national title, as a D+.

Everyone has their own opinions and hiring coaches is always a crapshoot, but you try to get the best coach and recruiter you can find to improve your odds. This cycle, Meyer is the only one I see that tops Sanders.
Anyone who rated Mack is a D+ was dumb. Always was a good recruiter and did well at UNC previously not to mention what he did at TX.

I think there are about 2-3 coaches who fill that bill. I have voiced my opinion on them in the past and will not bring them to this table. As a coach, you have to instill your culture in your team. Of all the coaches mentioned since day 1, I believe there are 2-3 who could and would do that.
So what, you want us all to go back through all of your posts to find out who those 2-3 are? Please

Every coach instills their culture on the team, it just depends on if it’s a good culture or not.

In my opinion, none of the coaches mentioned are getting Nebraska to the level of competing with the top schools in the league. What they might do is get Nebraska to winning 8 games per year on average. Then the fanbase will become impatient and start calling for that coach to be fired, to no fault of the coach. He will have simply not met the true expectations of this fanbase.

I would much rather hire a guy that will leave Nebraska after getting them to a 8-9 win level for a higher profile job rather than try to hire a coach after firing another coach that wins 8-9 per year.

Last edited:
I may be gullible. But why would that be hard to believe? That almost seems like best case scenario for them.
CU as a whole University doesn't even like having the football program. To many liberal idiots in boulder and running that University. I just can't see them brining in Sanders. I could be wrong and maybe it would be a great thing for them.

So could most of the names on the list. At least Deion has the upside of pretty much guaranteed recruiting success that most of those other names don't offer.
Deion actually has more coaching connections than most might realize. Did you see that he got former Vikings coach Mike Zimmer to come work for him?

I am really curious to see what Sanders could do with the resources of a major program.

But, but, but, but he coaches in a non P-5 conference, and his abilities won't transfer... not my words, the words all over this board.
Scott Frost's ability didn't transfer. He was a smashing success at UCF and a total failure at Nebraska.

Or Sanders already said no to NU. And in 3 years everyone can cry about why we didn't go after him, but in reality we did and got shot down.
I really think 2-3 years from now—around the time we start considering firing Leipold because his recruiting sucks and we are still struggling—we are going to regret not going after Sanders

Reactions: OzzyLvr
But, but, but, but he coaches in a non P-5 conference, and his abilities won't transfer... not my words, the words all over this board.
Coaches who spend 20 plus years in FCS or 10ish years in DIII appear complacent and don’t really show the desire to win at the highest level of college football.

Deion very well might be the next best thing... NU however is not in a position to make a gamble like that...

The folks keeping this place relevant by way of ticket and merch sales are the fans that were around in the 90's... that Generation is now predominantly in it's upper 40s & 50's or older... once those folks stop caring it's over...

For Nebraska to get back to where it needs to be its critical it makes the right hire NOW to gain new fans for the future... to do that it can't take wild gambles like Deion...

***Edit... also, do we really want to compare ourselves to Colorado? let's set our sights higher please

Doesn’t dion have the #1 recruit in the country lined up to go to Jackson state? Get dion, get #1 recruit in the country and the flood of 4 & 5 star recruites starts right there. Next to urban dion is lowest risk hire out there.

Doesn’t dion have the #1 recruit in the country lined up to go to Jackson state? Get dion, get #1 recruit in the country and the flood of 4 & 5 star recruites starts right there. Next to urban dion is lowest risk hire out there.
I don’t know why this isn’t clear to more people.

• Love
Reactions: Landomatic
Deion very well might be the next best thing... NU however is not in a position to make a gamble like that...

The folks keeping this place relevant by way of ticket and merch sales are the fans that were around in the 90's... that Generation is now predominantly in it's upper 40s & 50's or older... once those folks stop caring it's over...

For Nebraska to get back to where it needs to be its critical it makes the right hire NOW to gain new fans for the future... to do that it can't take wild gambles like Deion...

***Edit... also, do we really want to compare ourselves to Colorado? let's set our sights higher please
NU needs to be more aggressive about this hire. Auburn is going after Kiffin and Hugh Freeze. Why is Hugh Freeze ok for Auburn but not NU? I feel like NU will end up making a hire in Jan and it will be a Riley-like hire.

Reactions: Sinomatic
I'm willing to take a shot at Deion. He would bring some excitement and the calibre of recruits that could actually compete with OSU and Michigan. At this point, I just don't have a lot of faith left that NU is going after the types of coaches that can transform the program into a perennial top-20 program (let alone top-10).

NU needs to be more aggressive about this hire. Auburn is going after Kiffin and Hugh Freeze. Why is Hugh Freeze ok for Auburn but not NU? I feel like NU will end up making a hire in Jan and it will be a Riley-like hire.
Which would blow my mind, given how long the search has been and that we would blow a huge hole in our recruiting right off the bat. Sounds about right.

I'm willing to take a shot at Deion. He would bring some excitement and the calibre of recruits that could actually compete with OSU and Michigan. At this point, I just don't have a lot of faith left that NU is going after the types of coaches that can transform the program into a perennial top-20 program (let alone top-10).
I agree. It feels like we have given up on championships and just are trying to be decent again with a boring coach who is looking to retire soon.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
I think Sanders would be a home run hire.

Also think the likelihood of him coaching a team that's not in the south hovers a little under 0%.

Yahoo and 247Sports are saying Deion Sanders is in talks with South Florida and Colorado for their jobs. Can we seriously not compete with those schools for him?

Meanwhile, Lars Anderson is sticking with his Mickey Joseph prediction. However, he teased that Eric Bieniemy and Vance Joseph would be the OC and DC respectively, which is admittedly intriguing.

For the love of god though, I will be disappointed if we never reach out to Deion Sanders. I think he is going to continue be really successful as a head coach and recruiter.
There's speculation that Colorado will either hire Deion or the DC from Illinois. Of course like any other speculation it is just rumor until something is announced. Selfishly, I hope it's the Illinois DC to get him out of the B1G. Ha.

Why wouldn't we?

Disgusted Jim Carrey GIF

Reactions: LegendaryFrechFry
Umm ok. Deion must make you uncomfortable also. Weird.
Why don't you put on your thinking cap for a minute and come up with a possible list of reasons Deion isn't a good fit for Nebraska.

Then try to come up with a list of why he is. Which is longer and more relevant?

Why don't you put on your thinking cap for a minute and come up with a possible list of reasons Deion isn't a good fit for Nebraska.

Then try to come up with a list of why he is. Which is longer and more relevant?
The list of why he is a fit is muuuuuuuuuch longer than why he isn't. And it's not even close. Was that the point you were trying to make? Or do you just know nothing about Deion?

This is exactly why Deion is not a candidate at NU. We need the exact opposite-- a proven veteran who can take everything that the NU program has to offer and make it operate like it should.

We always seem determined to make boring hires.

Whatever school gets Deion is going to be wildly successful, I think.
Know thyself. That's what Deion needs to understand. Deion needs to stay in the south where he is in close proximity to loads of HS talent. South Florida would be a perfect fit. Colorado (or Nebraska for that matter) would not be. I'm not saying that Deion couldn't win at CU, but it would be more difficult.

Know thyself. That's what Deion needs to understand. Deion needs to stay in the south where he is in close proximity to loads of HS talent. South Florida would be a perfect fit. Colorado (or Nebraska for that matter) would not be. I'm not saying that Deion couldn't win at CU, but it would be more difficult.
I am saying that Deion Sanders could probably be successful and draw talent to Anchorage, Alaska if he so chose. Highly successful coach and recruiter, famous two way sports star that everyone knows, etc

I think Sanders would be a home run hire.

Also think the likelihood of him coaching a team that's not in the south hovers a little under 0%.
Deion has been on a mission to elevate HBCU programs from day one at JSU. He constantly talks about HBCU and leveling the playing field. I dont see Deion going to a midwest PWI.....to coach football...regardless of the program. If Deion dumps JSU this year....I think his character may take a hit. Just because of his rhetoric this year....and how he pushed the HBCU talk to recruits like Hunter. I think leaving for a non-HBCU program may make him look hypocritical.

I follow Deion...I have watched every JSU game. I think he could succeed at a higher level. But I dont think Deion is for every administration etc....he beats to his own drum.

Deion has been on a mission to elevate HBCU programs from day one at JSU. He constantly talks about HBCU and leveling the playing field. I dont see Deion going to a midwest PWI.....to coach football...regardless of the program. If Deion dumps JSU this year....I think his character may take a hit. Just because of his rhetoric this year....and how he pushed the HBCU talk to recruits like Hunter. I think leaving for a non-HBCU program may make him look hypocritical.

I follow Deion...I have watched every JSU game. I think he could succeed at a higher level. But I dont think Deion is for every administration etc....he beats to his own drum.
I could see his ego clashing with Trev’s, admittedly.

Yahoo and 247Sports are saying Deion Sanders is in talks with South Florida and Colorado for their jobs. Can we seriously not compete with those schools for him?

Meanwhile, Lars Anderson is sticking with his Mickey Joseph prediction. However, he teased that Eric Bieniemy and Vance Joseph would be the OC and DC respectively, which is admittedly intriguing.

For the love of god though, I will be disappointed if we never reach out to Deion Sanders. I think he is going to continue be really successful as a head coach and recruiter.
If you were a school who needed to take a chance on an intriguing up and coming young coach, then Deion Sanders would be a good choice. But he's not quite proven enough yet for big time programs. He needs another job yet to show his stuff before being ready for that big time gig.

If you were a school who needed to take a chance on an intriguing up and coming young coach, then Deion Sanders would be a good choice. But he's not quite proven enough yet for big time programs. He needs another job yet to show his stuff before being ready for that big time gig.
I respect your opinion.

Where we differ is that I don’t think we are a big time program anymore. In fact, I think we are one of the worst programs of any major conference—remote history be damned—and Deion Sanders would solve a lot of problems for us.

I am saying that Deion Sanders could probably be successful and draw talent to Anchorage, Alaska if he so chose. Highly successful coach and recruiter, famous two way sports star that everyone knows, etc
I agree with that. He's famous everywhere but legendary in the south. And recruiting talent to play close to home is a lot easier than recruiting kids to play (and stay) in Boulder or Lincoln. Ask Tuioti, Donte & Keith Williams, Fischer, etc.

If he went to a place that already had good line talent on both sides of the ball and he brought in a top transfer QB and a stud RB, plus a couple DBs... it could work out pretty well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT